• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tempestrus

Tempestrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi I used to play Ragnarok awhile ago and I'm trying to get back to playing. I looked up several guides and but they didn't tell me what skills to take each level. I was wondering where to level my mage and what skills to get each level. Like should I max out a single bolt spell and then level the others? Thanks in advance!

#2 NeoRaguto

NeoRaguto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

I would suggest starting with cold bolt because you'll be doing the eden quests and be killing peco peco's for the best xp.

#3 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationThe coldest depths of Sweden
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Uhm, are you going to be a Warlock or a Sorcerer? AKA Wizard or Sage?

2nd, as long as you go to job 50, you should be able to max out all bolt skills, get lv 10 Fire wall(if you want it, it's pretty useful) lv 1 sight and 2 skills in misc, 1 in stone curse if you intend on going sage.

If you are going wizard, I would suggest other skills, but it doesnt matter too much pre-rebirth, use this skill calculator to see what skills you need for your future skills.

#4 Tempestrus

Tempestrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Oops I forgot to mention that I was planning on being a wizard. I'm still confused as to what I should take when I start out as a mage.
Where should I begin to level and what should my first points be put into? I just don't want to spread my points out too far/thin and not be able to level effectively.

#5 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Oops I forgot to mention that I was planning on being a wizard. I'm still confused as to what I should take when I start out as a mage.
Where should I begin to level and what should my first points be put into? I just don't want to spread my points out too far/thin and not be able to level effectively.

I suppose that you will get the bolt skills at least, so start with Lightning bolt to at least level 5-7, you can use that at first on Spores(Their weakeness) and Worm Tails, whom are weak from the start, you can level on them until about level 24-26, at that point, you can do the Eden equipment quest, which will give you a very neat Staff that will grant you a major damage increase to your skills.
Then you can head down to Byalon dungeon, if you don't know how to get there, you go to Izlude, then walk to the top right corner of the city and take the Ship to Byalon island, jsut walk around the "Eyes" of the island and into the middle.
In this dungeon there are fish monsters that you will dish out a lot of damage on with Lightning Bolt, they take about 175-200% damage, you will probably only have to use level 5 or so. You can stay in Byalon until you hit job 50 if you want, it'a a bit tedious but it works.

Theres also currently a Event called Mothers Day Event, this quest will give you A LOT of exp, I leveled my Mage that I made yesterday from 41/39 to 57/8 Sage in this one quest.
If you have a guild or so, you can probably get someone to help you get the items you need for the quest, you can read about the quest Here.

But you better hurry if you want to do the quest, it goes away on Thursday at maintanence.

#6 Tempestrus

Tempestrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thank you very much. :o

#7 Tempestrus

Tempestrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, how many points should I invest in sp recovery? Is maxing it needed?

#8 NeoRaguto

NeoRaguto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

That's the advice your going to give?...

My advice is start getting cold bolt and kill peco peco's then get fire bolt and then fire ball to kill ant eggs go from there and get job 40 or so on them and if you want get job 50 on them or go to orc dungeon and use fire wall there.

Also I would recommend using this guide http://forums.warppo...064-mage-guide/ get 4-5 points in increase SP recovery, use this build http://irowiki.org/~...KnndodqabcKHxgK

get cold bolt to LVL 10 then go for increase SP recovery to LVL 4-5, then go for fire bolt LVL 10 and fire ball LVL 5, if you get to ant eggs and you don't have fire ball yet then just use fire bolt that's what I did and it worked out great, as for stats don't get any stats besides int after you get 99 int start getting dex to about 40-50 then some luk and then rest vit and you'll be good there.

#9 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:19 AM

That's the advice your going to give?...

My advice is start getting cold bolt and kill peco peco's then get fire bolt and then fire ball to kill ant eggs go from there and get job 40 or so on them and if you want get job 50 on them or go to orc dungeon and use fire wall there.

Also I would recommend using this guide http://forums.warppo...064-mage-guide/ get 4-5 points in increase SP recovery, use this build http://irowiki.org/~...KnndodqabcKHxgK

get cold bolt to LVL 10 then go for increase SP recovery to LVL 4-5, then go for fire bolt LVL 10 and fire ball LVL 5, if you get to ant eggs and you don't have fire ball yet then just use fire bolt that's what I did and it worked out great, as for stats don't get any stats besides int after you get 99 int start getting dex to about 40-50 then some luk and then rest vit and you'll be good there.

That's the advice you are going to give?

The leveling spots, I can't complain too much about them, except for Ant Eggs, that place is a dead spot, there are most often two AFK alchemists with homunculi at all the spots where they spawn. And if you suggest he takes out one egg at the time, thats just effing slow, then Byalon is a much better place, just watch out for the Hydras.
Peco Pecos arn't so bad, but they have lower spawn then Spores and Worm Tails, and give almost the same exp, + there are Turn-in quests for both Spore and Worm Tail, with those you can get to level 20-25 in an hour or so, after that you can go to Poporings, they give great exp and you can kill them at level 20 all the way up to 30, should you want to.
But I would suggest you just stop at 26, do the equipment quest and get the better staff. Also, if you can get your hands on either Phen card or the much cheaper one: Bloody Butterfly card then you are golden, to play a mage class, the effect to remove castinterruption is a necessity.
After you get the Staff you can either go back to Poporings for a while longer, I would suggest so, because Byalon does not give the best exp until you are lv 28-30, at that point, go to Byalon and focus on Marina, Plankton and Kukre first. Vadon and Cornutus have cast sensor, so if you start casting on them, they will "see" you.

Don't get SP recovery, it's a totally bogus skill.

Depending on if you want Lord of Vermilion wizard skill or not, I would suggest a skilltree something like this:

Firebolt 10, Fire Ball 5, Fire Wall, 10
Lightning Bolt 10,
Cold Bolt 1, Frost Diver 1, pre-req for Storm Gust
Sight 1,
Stone Curse 1,
Napalm beat 1,
you need it for future skill Jupiter Thunder, and Jupiter Thunder you need at at least lv 3(I would recommend higher), if you want Storm Gust, which is probably the best Wizard skill.

Frost Diver is a pretty good skill to use in combination with Jupiter Thunder, in which case, you can exhange one of the bolt skills for more points into Frost Diver

Incase you want Lord of Vermilion in your future wizard skill tree, you will need to get Thunder Storm 1, easiest way to do that is probably to just take one point off Lightning Bolt or Fire Wall.

Edited by meaning42, 15 May 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#10 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

Copied from a Post I made before

Fire Bolt 10 - Usually the first skill a mage gets due to easy passive, non-cast sensing earth monsters or Immobile ones. I know everyone tells you to go after the ant eggs early on but while they are good these are usually taken by dumb Alchemists afk leveling their Homunclous's. It's better sometimes to hunt on Comodo Field 08, which is just outside Morroc to the south and west, you need to talk to an NPC on the west side outside Morroc. This is because unlike in the Ant Hell this map has no Aggressive monsters like Familiars to make you have to worry about potions. The Ant monsters, Deniro (red)(31), Pierre (green) (32) and Andre (yellow)(33) are all weak to fire attacks because they are Earth Property 1 monsters, which means fire attacks do 150% damage. They also pretty much have the same stats/exp and drops barring 1. You can start hunting Deniro's at lvl 16 then Pierre at 17 and Andre at 18 getting full exp. You can stay there till your in your 30's if you want.

Ant Map (Ant hell entrance is in the top right of this map)
http://rode-r.doddle...view/cmd_fild08

Wolfs - Ounce you hit lvl 33-35 you can hunt Wolfs on Moc_fld03. Keep the strawberries they drop for good zenny later. Don't sell them for less than 2k each. I know theres venders their that will buy them right away but they will just turn around and resell them for more most of the time. On Valky these sell for 3-4k each easy and even more on YMir server. Wolf map is South then West of Payon. Watch out for Argos, FWall then FBolt them so they can't hit you. If you don't have FWall yet just Fly Wing away. Leave the Steel Chonchon's alone unless you can 1 hit KO them as they help each other out if 1 starts attacking you all on screen will as well.

Wolf Map
http://rode-r.doddle...view/moc_fild03

Grove - Ok now ounce you have hit 40-45 you can start hunting Grove monsters (Flora not till 44). Best map is Comodo Field 01. Warp from Prontera to Comodo, then go through the East cave to get here. Groves are Earth2 element so take 175% Damage from Fire. Easy map as the only aggressive guy can't move lmao. Flora on the same map as well ounce you hit lvl 44 for the stems, maneater blossoms and witherless roses. Pretty simple to hit lvl 50-55 here.

Grove Map
http://rode-r.doddle...view/cmd_fild01

Hodes - At around 50 you can start here if you are getting bored you can start killing Hodes. Best map for this is Sograt Desert 17 which is from Morroc 1 map south 1 map east and 1 south again. Be WARNED, Sandman and Frilldoa roam this map as well and they are aggressive. Fire Wall and FBolt can be used on Sandman but Cold Bolt or Frost Diver should be used on Frilldoa, frills and Sandmen can use Cloak to hide their approach while still moving so be careful. While Sandman have better loots they are harder to kill somewhat. If they aren't much of a danger to you and you want to try to get more loot head one more map East to field 17 (listed below). Less Frill's here but LOTS of Sandmen.

Hodes & Sandman
http://rode-r.doddle...view/moc_fild17
http://rode-r.doddle...view/moc_fild16

Geographer(73) - Juno Field 11 - pending

Cold Bolt 10 - While most build guides tell you that you should get Fire Bolt and Lightning Bolt so that you don't have any particular weakness Cold Bolt is actually a lot more useful than Lightning Bolt ESPECIALLY if you go the Wizard path. This is because Wizard will get Juptiel Thunder which is much better than Lightning Bolt since it has Knock back affect and at does 3 hits at lvl 1 and 12 at lvl 10. If you go the Sage path then getting all 3 bolts maxed is the best idea.

Metaller - You can start on these guys from lvl 40-45. These guys are an alternative to Groves, they are Passive Fire element1 guys so will take 150% damage from Cold Bolt. They can be found on Comodo Field 09 which is actually just 1 map south of the Ant map above. There are ants on this map as well but still no aggressive monsters to really interfere and endanger you.

Metaller map
http://rode-r.doddle...view/cmd_fild09

Greatest General(55) - Payon Forest 10 - pending

Grand Peco (75) & Goats (80) - Juno Field 08, Juno Field 11 - pending

Will finish up other monsters later, or you can look them up yourself if you want. Numbers in brackets are monster lvl, you can start hunting a monster 15 lvl's below but 10 levels below gives best exp boost.

EDIT: The major problem I have with Lightning Bolt is that most Water passive monsters are Cast sensors, meaning they know if your casting at them and attack you right away. The highest exception to this is magnolia which is lvl 53 until you reach Siroma at lvl 98. Full list of Passive, Non-Cast sensing Water monsters below from 1-99. Lol only 12 results so you can see why.

http://db.irowiki.or...ader=10#results

Mage Skill Build when going Wizard should be the following (for a newer player at least.)

Fire Bolt 10
Fire Wall 10
Cold Bolt 10
Fire Ball 5
Lightning Bolt 4
Lightning Storm 1
Frost Diver 1
Sight 1
Napalm Beat 1
Stone Curse 1

Thats 44 points there with 5 still to be spend. You can put them in SP recovery if you want as going Job 50 with mages really should be a must.

#11 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

Firebolt 10, Fire Ball 5, Fire Wall, 10
Lightning Bolt 10,
Cold Bolt 1, Frost Diver 1, pre-req for Storm Gust
Sight 1,
Stone Curse 1,
Napalm beat 1,
you need it for future skill Jupiter Thunder, and Jupiter Thunder you need at at least lv 3(I would recommend higher), if you want Storm Gust, which is probably the best Wizard skill.

Frost Diver is a pretty good skill to use in combination with Jupiter Thunder, in which case, you can exhange one of the bolt skills for more points into Frost Diver

Incase you want Lord of Vermilion in your future wizard skill tree, you will need to get Thunder Storm 1, easiest way to do that is probably to just take one point off Lightning Bolt or Fire Wall.

Ok I must say didn't see this before I copied my post above but yikes thats some bad advice. There is NO reason to ever get Lightning Bolt maxed when going Wizard (Sages doing HS build yes) as Jupitel Thunder is much better and replaces it.

Maxing Cold Bolt is really a must in my books. Magmarrings from 95-99 comes to mind instantly as well as Goats at around 65-80.

I do agree that FD/JT (or FD/LB for Sages) is a good combo. It gives you a really good option of fighting non element guys for exp like Metallings etc.

#12 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:45 AM

Ok I must say didn't see this before I copied my post above but yikes thats some bad advice. There is NO reason to ever get Lightning Bolt maxed when going Wizard (Sages doing HS build yes) as Jupitel Thunder is much better and replaces it.

Maxing Cold Bolt is really a must in my books. Magmarrings from 95-99 comes to mind instantly as well as Goats at around 65-80.

I do agree that FD/JT (or FD/LB for Sages) is a good combo. It gives you a really good option of fighting non element guys for exp like Metallings etc.

Indeed, that was an error on my behalf, I am making a Sage so I was somewhat influensed by that.

#13 Tempestrus

Tempestrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thanks guys again, you've been really helpful!

#14 NeoRaguto

NeoRaguto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

OH I must've been there at the exact right and good time because I EASILY got job 50 with my mage using fire bolt > fire ball level 5 on ant eggs.

#15 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

OH I must've been there at the exact right and good time because I EASILY got job 50 with my mage using fire bolt > fire ball level 5 on ant eggs.

Wow that must have taken quite a bit of time as the Ant Eggs are only lvl 28. I mean if you look at the table the exp from them isn't that great when you get to high. Better and quicker options exist by certain lvls. Also depends what server you are on. On Valkyrie these were hunted highly with spare cards for Blanks so were not often an option for most ppl.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users