#1 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

I was wondering if it was possible to request a re-order of characters on the character select screen through the ticket system?

If not, would the community have any interest in adding this as an added value service?

Posted Image

Edited by Scuba, 24 May 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#2 Renaldoo

Renaldoo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

I wouldn't find this a significant enough issue to pay money as a value added service... If it's problematic for some reason you can try sending in a ticket and requesting the re-order. It is not a service they advertise, but they may agree to do it, provided it isn't completely trivial.

#3 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

this sort of thing is something that could be self managed through warpportal if one of the staff had a good enough reason to throw together the required SQL and script to do this. such a feature would have to be carefully coded to prevent opening an XBOX HUEG security hole and expose the character database to carefully crafted SQL injection. i'm 100% certain the risk to reward ratio isnt worth the headache. is it possible to request this? short answer is yes, real question is "will they do it?", i'm going to have to say probly not.

#4 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Right now there isn't a clean way of doing this. If we offered it, it would create a problem of Ygg and Valk could swap their characters to non-VIP slots then make 3 more characters etc.

#5 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Would be nice to have this offered if it was possible, but I don't think I'd pay for it.

#6 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Right now there isn't a clean way of doing this. If we offered it, it would create a problem of Ygg and Valk could swap their characters to non-VIP slots then make 3 more characters etc.

If they're paying for it why does it matter?

#7 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Non related, but could you consider offering an account merging option for character on different RO accounts under the same warp portal account? I know some people, me included; who would love to be able to merge all their charas spread in many accounts from the time valky server didn't offer VIP and be able to pay a sub for them instead of paying several subs. I don't find it much appealing to pay a subscription for only one chara per account...

#8 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

So... just don't let them move any characters to an empty inaccessible slot? I'm not seeing how this is a problem.

Edited by renouille, 23 May 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#9 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

My whole point is, you don't always know who your favorite character will end up being, it would be very... orderly... to have my three favorites in the first the spots. -_-

#10 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

Should be a drag and drop interface.

a ymir char select on top, a valkyrie char select on the bottom.

Take this example:

Posted Image

#11 ABK1986

ABK1986

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

Take this example:

I like when you make pictures explaining crap -_-

I just wish I could re-order my peeps myself, or they could just make it so all 9 show up on one screen, instead of scrolling. Wouldn't need anything fancy for either of those options

Edited by ABK1986, 24 May 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#12 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

Should be a drag and drop interface.

a ymir char select on top, a valkyrie char select on the bottom.

Take this example:

Posted Image

^ lol at tht man!

#13 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Another picture.
Posted Image
Updated OP

#14 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

The snarkiness in this thread really doesn't make me want to be friendly and work extra hard to put in a service that will be utilized little.

The request to make a 3x3 character select screen has already been sent to HQ so that all your characters show up on 1 screen, I think that addresses the issue of 'sorting' much cleaner than DB editing services to change what order they are in, and requires much less GM time (IE none).

Sorting on the character select could be a problem as it would be editing the DB rather than just making a new entry, I know that such things cause headaches when programming things, although with the lua settings it may just display on your screen as a different order even though they really are in the same order as default.

#15 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't know what gave you that impression. I don't think any of these suggestions were truly offered with high hopes. Mostly concepts we thought would look cool. Planting a tree we know won't bear fruit. They are simple suggestions with graphical representation to facilitate understanding.

I was imagining that you could sort characters similarly to the was storage sorts itself now. It keeps everything at its default but displays it in a different order. That way you wouldn't have a problem with the VIP character slots.

#16 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

My post was serious. I didn't mean to be snarky.

Graphics are often an easier way for me to explain.

#17 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:38 AM

Let us hunt the snark.

#18 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

whats a snark? O_o

#19 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

i like the idea alot, but echo what other people are saying. Too much of a headache to put in

love the design though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users