An idea about spam-bots - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

An idea about spam-bots

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

I was trying to ask this in the live-stream chat that just happened, and it wouldn't let you write "Spam" and instead put stars, so my question was read but not answered.

Anyways, I had an idea of a way to get rid of the zeny spam-bots that are overwhelming in the towns. What if there was an in-game reporting mechanism, where you can right click and "report". There would have to be a way to keep track of how often the account was reported, and in case of someone being falsely reported or accidentally, there should be an automatic auto-ban service, where if someone is reported 5 times (for example) from 5 different users within a given time frame, they could be removed from the game. This could possible be an automatic disconnect from the server, or maybe something like a 24 hour temporary ban, which would be more than fair.

I think a system like this would be fairly easy to implement, and would cause no more excess work from your developer team after implementation, and would not require someone to constantly go through towns and search for bots, because that is incredibly time consuming and unfair that people keep on requesting a team to manually go in and remove these bots.

This system would allow everyday gamers to take 5 seconds out of their day to report a spam bot if they wish. If you are walking through town, and see a spam-bot blocking a Kafra for example, everyone would have the opportunity to report the bot, in game, without having to fill out a ticket. Within minutes a spam-bot can be removed. I think this would be an easy way to clean up the spamming issue, and I know lots of people would like an easy way to report bots. Spam bots are starting to ruin the gameplay experience for me, and I know lots of people complain about this constantly, so it's just my idea, Id love to hear feedback on this idea, if you have any suggestions or anything to add to it. I hope my idea will be taken seriously.

Thanks for reading, hope you consider it :)

#2 Pyrasia

Pyrasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

I will just bring a small portion of my guild to Report everyone we don't like.
And bwammm, we got the whole map of lvling to just our guild alone. Muwhahahahaaaa.

#3 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

I will just bring a small portion of my guild to Report everyone we don't like.
And bwammm, we got the whole map of lvling to just our guild alone. Muwhahahahaaaa.

Well, I was just talking about the problem with spam bots, but you bring up a good point. Maybe it would have to be more restrictive, I dont know if it would be possible to see a log of whispering, to make sure that people are being reported for whispering, some sort of check of their activity to verify that they are spamming and not just someone being reported. OR, you could require that not only each report has to be from a different player via IP address, but also that they are NOT part of the same guild.

Good point to bring up though :) I would like to think that people would be mature and not abuse the system, but that is unrealistic XD

#4 Pyrasia

Pyrasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

This is the internet, fella. If a system can be broken, it WILL be broken :)

#5 Kolmogorov

Kolmogorov

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

I will gather 5-6 of my friends to report the strongest character of opponent Guild :D

PS. Just kidding :)

#6 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

I will gather 5-6 of my friends to report the strongest character of opponent Guild :D

PS. Just kidding :)

XD Come on guys.

The report limit could be a higher number, like 10-15, that would be harder for people to conspire to report. OR there could be some severe penalty for false accusing, because if this strong character was temp banned, for example, and reports they were accused falsely, there would be a record of who reported them. That could get quite complicated though XD

Or, the report program could do some sort of verification that the accused player repeatedly sent the same or similar messages by looking at their activity? If that was the case, maybe one a couple people would need to report before action could be taken? :D

#7 Pyrasia

Pyrasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

And then GMs have to check those logs to verify which report is legit ?
I'm sure it will take a lot less time if a single GM would login, spend 1-2 mins walking around Prontera, and ban all spammers's IP and be done with it.

#8 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

You have no idea how many times this idea has been suggested in the past. So no.

#9 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

You have no idea how many times this idea has been suggested in the past. So no.

since 2005......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users