50 replies to this topic

#1 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

Well, since i didnt see any build on prots i wont start 1 XD But i think theres some things that can be adviced that really help. So, lets start with skills

Warning... text wall may hurt your eyes :lol:

Defender skills:

First lets start with attack skills. Only some words, they all suck, only Onslaught gives some decent damage, but you need 12 skill points for that, in my opinion not worth it. If you want to have them anyways theres only 2 uses you can get from them:

1- Skill spam in possesion beast.

2- Vital Stab has a damage over time (DOT) so can be usefull to duel rogues, unless they are really good they cant kill us, but we cant kill them either, they just stealth again and rest (really anoying and endless duel)

Still wont advice to get them more that 1 lvl. We need our skill points for defence, heals and aggro.

Fighting Will: Completly useless, in my opinon accuracy is still broken, you miss with or without it. Still we need it to get Quick Attack, so a lvl 1 is needed for that and like that is usefull as a Soccer Kick filler.

Physical Blessing: Yay!! More useless skills!!! HP dont regenerate in battle, so theres no use for it. Still 1 lvl is needed for defence buffs, and as Fighting Will it Works fine as a Soccer Kick filler.

Taunt: 1 point needed for Tauntng Cry, the skill that make us what we are, a tank. Still i like to max it. It really helps me in JS and i can make more aggro with it in raids. Dont make it top priority to lvl it, but i can really help, just think of itâ?¦.

Quick Attack: In my opinión the best damage buff ever, example, you use a 1 handed (1h) sword, it attacks at 1.5s, with quick attack you can get it to 1.0 (nothing will hit faster) so its like 50% more dmg, make it with bludgeons (bluds) and its even more. Still get only the lvl you need to cap Speedy attack with the weapon of your choice. Any extra point is a waist. You dont need this to be a good tank, but it helps for solo, a lot.

Survival Instinct: Yes!! Finally!! A defence skill!!! And i like pasives even more!! And the only one that gives us long range defence!! (:rice: you Shadow Runners and Rangers!!! :lol I have it maxed

Skin Of Stone: More defence is allways wellcome (well, almost allways, ill disscuss this later) Maxed this one too. Right now im thinking in actually remove this buff
since i get 4k defence, but just keep in mind youll need a min of 2.7-3k for pve, never go below that.

Taunting Cry: Finally!! We are a tank!!! Lets show mobs a finger and make them wanna kill us!!! This skill is a must for anyone that wants to tank. But if you think with a lvl 1 is enough think again, youll lose aggro like an early ejaculator loses.... well, you know what... (in case of forums sensitivity i removes ome words... :D ) I would advice any tank to max it. It affects 10 mobs.

Shield Strike: Great skill for pvp, 3 secs stunt its nice. Can help in pve too. I wouldnâ??t advive to max it, but its your call, its your char after all. At lvl 5 you get max time stunt (3 secs) and 70% chances of stunting, good enough I think.

Now Finally, you are a Protector, best tank in game. Lets see some skills:

Low Blow: Great dmg skilll, the only one that really hurts actually. And it has aggro too, nice. But what ive seen that if mobs are close enough for you to hit them with it you allready have aggro. So, even if it gives more aggro than taunt I use more taunt than low blow. Right now I only have it at lvl 1 ( I still have 12 skill points free, so that may chance in some time) I mostly use it when im questing alone, wich at high lvls is the less of the time. (whats not to love of endless grind?? Yes, sarcasm intented)

Restraint Recission: A pvp skill. Guess what, we are not pvp. Still lvl 1 is good enough for it, more lvls only reduce cooldown. It works in some places in pve, in some others not.

Now the Heals: Get them, love them, thatâ??s what make us survive more. I maxed all of them. All of them are heal over time (HOT), and you can have all of them at the same time, still the cooldowns are huge now, so I wont advice to do that. (Unless your rad is stunted of course...)

Restoration: Great heal, only can cast on self.

Sacred Hand: Another heal, â??bigâ? first heal, then lower tics. Itâ??s a single target heal.

Lesser Party Heal: I love this one!!! Itâ??s a whole party sacred hand!!!

Heals are over, lets move to:

Spiritual Intensfication: Its a party defence buff that gives huge defence. It makes you less squishy and all your party too. Great buff, i maxed this too as all defence buffs.

Block Skills

Shield Mastery: when you block, you block more dmg with this. Its a pasive. But i find that when i block i get 0 dmg, with or without any skill. Still 1 point needed. This help in raids, now that AA has been doubled i dont block AA for 0 dmg anymore there, so i maxed it for raids.

Aegis Of Protection: same as shield mastery but you can cast it in 1 targuet. Again 1 point needed. (Same not for raids as before)

Shield Fortress: Awesome skill!!!! I love it!!! It raises the chance for block, youll block more times with it and that means more 0 dmg!!!! Get it, love it.

Now lets talk about DNA. Lets face it, our DNA sucks, well most of if it.

Fighting Will DNA: A useless skill has 2 useless DNAs, no more to say.

Physical Blessing DNA: Same here, useless skill, useless DNA.

Skin of Stone and Survival Instinct DNA: More defence!!! Yay?? What i found out is that defence is great, but till you get 3000 or something like that. Then you wont notice any diference. Youll get almost the same dmg with more defence. I spend 6 points in each and nothing more, just cos I feel I must as a tank. But really, that defence dont make any differece for us.

Vital Stab DNA: It make the dot of vital stab last longuer, a lot longuer. Great to fight rogues, nothing more.

Long Range Taunt DNA: 10 meters more range to taunt at max?? Yay!!! I love this one. Mix it with lvl 5 or more taunt and you got your self a 25m taunt!! Great for when you pull more than 10 mobs (yes, some times we have too) I would advice to get it. And no, doesnt affect taunting cry, only taunt.With new DNA changes i took some points out of this, i think i put 2 in it to get 19m range. It helps to get fast that anoying dogs in JS that are chasing our dearest healers :D I think now max would be 15m but i think 10 points here is a waist.

Shield Strike DNA: Gives you 10% more chances of stunt, can be nice....Im actually thinking in getting this one.

Strenghtened Restoration DNA: Great DNA, it reduce mp cost and gives you more heal power at the same time too. I love this one, but 1 point is nice enough

Shield Mastery DNA: again, I get 0 dmg when i block, with or wthout this exept in raids. Now im planing to remove some DNA for defence and take ths too lvl 6. I wanna block raids for 0 dmg again!!!

Shield Fortress DNAs: 1 is great, the one that makes you block even more. With max buff and max DNA you get +20% more chances to block, its huge!!! Well, it will be when we can get to lvl 97 anywaysâ?¦. The other one makes it last longer, nothing good since its spamable as it is.

And now equipment:

Weapons: right now i personally like more 1h swords, but bludgeons or axes could be fine too. Try to get weapons with hp, we need lots of it.I have no idea what gravity made with higher lvl bluds to be honest. I mean... MP??? Really?? WTF??

Shield: the BEST shield you can get for tank it is lvl 66 S1 rondelroot egis(my oppinion) If you cant get it, RH Shield is nice, rondelroot egis in lvl 65 may work untill you got RH. The lvl 72 and 75 may be better, but being carus is a pain in the ass to reinforce them. Better stay with rare.

Armor: anything that gives more hp, and more CON on reinfocement. I would chose Seamless Polar over FOC armor now. Now skill crit is not really important for prots, hots dont crit anymore. RH Armor is nice too. Lvl 75?? Is such a disappointment, its just crap. Ive heard lvl 72 is good for protectors, i still havent look at any piece of it.(i need to se them reinforced, at least +1)

Jewels: Secret Lab ID Set!!!! Best Choice in my opinión. Reinforce it and get huge CON and all other stats. Remember int gives you resistances so that will help too. Still very hard and expensive to get. If not go M-C secret lab set and get only huge CON. In fact youll get some more HP with M-C than ID.C-C can be a good choice too for some extra MP recovery. Mix them can also be nice. If you want you can do a set of reinforced physical jewels to solo, but youll still need HP jewels for tanking. Maybe some cheap ordinary ones are enough for this.

What to enchant??

We have more than enough defence, defence xeons make no difference for us. Get huge HP now. Enchant HP xeons in jewels and CON xeons in other stuff. You can enchant physical dmg in your weapon or resitances (maybe?), your choice there. The other thing once you get lvl 65 or something like that NEVER use the xeons that drops., your Armor will last forever now, or almost. Get the best ones you can get, Ion Mine xeons the minimum, better raid xeons, but youll need lots of them. If you have the luck to get the S1 lvl 66 Seamless Polar or the legendary lvl 70 Glorious Armor dont you ever think in use even Ion Mine, youll never change your Armor again, go for the best you can get. RH CON/MND xeons are great, or any other raid CON xeon. RH breathing?? Bahhhh, they make me cum when i see them 40 HP and 20 MP is great, to bad youll need like 50 for all your jewels. S1 30 Hp xeons, 40 HP xeons, 30HP/2CON, all of them great. Just save them for your final sets of jewells

Well, if i missed something just ask and dont expect a 1 minute answer

Any comments are wellcome, better if they come from other tanks, i like the feedback, i could get some nice ideas too.

Best of luck, Dess

Edited by Dess, 09 October 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#2 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

I have no skills or patiance or time, so if you wanted pretty images sowy :rice:

#3 Sasuke21

Sasuke21

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4248 posts
  • LocationRomania
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:AionEU/Nexus

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

^^ the build is ok ,what can i say since the nerf i prefer commander than prot

#4 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

^^ the build is ok ,what can i say since the nerf i prefer commander than prot

Yeah... some days i miss being a commader.... back old good S1 days....
But still prots tank better than comies and a think that making a commander specially for tanking its a waist of potential. They have much more to offer.
Still the can do a great job there, but i would build them completly diferent.

I dont know, just different points of views maybe.

I just posted this cos i havent seen a protectors guide and i get a bit angry when i see a prot with lvl 10 Physical Blessing. (Same happens to me with rads with invigoration)But f you just start playing and you read description they seem soo cool skills...

Btw... OMG YOU READ FAST!!! :rice:

Edited by Dess, 20 August 2010 - 05:59 AM.

#5 Sasuke21

Sasuke21

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4248 posts
  • LocationRomania
  • Server:AionEU/Nexus

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

^^ i have a 67 commie and they re great 5,4k hp ,3370 def, 700 damage ,32% crit, 50% lightning restiacnce, they are bad ass but hard to lvl .I like sin and defi more i love the kruxena race

#6 Salubri

Salubri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationCancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico
  • Server:-_- YOU GRAVITY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

well good guide, just dont agree protectors are the best tank, actually the best tank is captain mato!

#7 Confused

Confused

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2615 posts
  • Server:Lintra

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

The best tank is actually...ah well the joke gets old. :p_devil:

#8 Salubri

Salubri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationCancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico
  • Server:-_- YOU GRAVITY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

The best tank is actually...ah well the joke gets old. :p_devil:

Posted Image

#9 Syre

Syre

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Make the guide flashy!

#10 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Make the guide flashy!

Fell free to take its contents and make is as flasy as you want :p_devil:

#11 Vorx

Vorx

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPortugal and in your nightmares
  • Server:None

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:38 AM

ah protectors ! lol Now they cant protect themselfs. :lol:

Edited by Vorx, 26 August 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#12 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

ah protectors ! lol Now they cant protect themselfs. :)

Hey, some of us still enjoy the class.... In fact some of us enjoy it more since the nerf.
I love tanking raids, its a lot more fun than push 2 buttons endlesly standing still as a dps. Well, at least when you have to do something at that raid, like in biskra (DS run! :lol: ). RH its a bit boring....

#13 Sayuz

Sayuz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Triffi

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Nice Topic Dess!!
Well i really think that protectors can do well in a PvP battle or at least they can be really annoying (my case, lol). Hard to kill, they have heals, cant get out of slow, can stun... they are like a fear factor in battle.. or a distraction if you will.
Now it is kinda tricky because of that stupid rage system... but i still think that a protector with good items can kill many in battles...

#14 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

Yes, cool guide!

As for Protectors in PvP, well, they always were rather tough cookies due to their healing capacity and huge def and HPs too. Since the uber healings are now gone, Protecors are somewhat softer targets. Still, there is a variety of tactics against them, they have been used well in the past. Like... lithify, Terms of Service, sleep, slow, face strike, that kind of thing. Used in combo some of these skills will cripple a Protector, then pure damage skills can be used to do the thing. Unfortunately, the attack capability of Protectors still remains limited. They can surely kill weaker opponents if they get the chance and are not affected by the skills mentioned earlier. But, in total I believe Protectors are not really someone to avoid now or even fear. At best I consider them a distraction and maybe time consuming effort to dispatch. I could certainly pick much easier opponents to kill quickly in PvP. Of course, I would always love a nice one-to-one with a Protector, for an epic long fight, heh... they would lose of course! :o

#15 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

Never underestimate the power of an annoying prot in pvp, we can survive long enough to stunt your rad :o
And there allways one way of killing, go pb and spam spam spam skills (if you have them, in my case i dont :) )
And in PvP its easy to get points... get a rad healing you behing while you take dmg. Thers allways some1 that will keep hiting a prot for hours :)
I dont mind prots having low dmg, in fact protectors exchange the skills to survive longer for the dmg ones. If prots had huge dmg too ppl will start complaining we are OP. A class shouldnt have it all. Although low blow can really hurt

#16 Sayuz

Sayuz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Triffi

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

I have a secret plan to become OP... but i wont mention it for now... but lets say that... hmm never mind :o

#17 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Edited to the new higher AA dmg of raid bosses, so you actually need more block skills to get 0 dmg when you block. Maybe with a higher lvl shield you can still block a lot without them, but im sure i wont change my shield untill lvl75 one, and even then i need to reinforce it to be better than mine.... So im quite far to do that.

#18 d1ofmany

d1ofmany

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

So what is now recommended hp for tank to tank RH and biskra?

#19 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

So what is now recommended hp for tank to tank RH and biskra?

I say 8-9k HP depending on WL and Elem levels. That way you can easy reach 11k hp wich its a nice hp to tank them in my oppinion.

I know this is hard to do for tanks on S2 to gear, but maybe go to TD can help you get that numbers if you dont have them.

#20 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

RH will do massive Earth Shock damage, that can critical about 8000 or more, depending on one's defence and level, I believe. To this, you can add other attacks RH can combo, like Wind of Edge (say, 1200 damage minimum), and also physical attacks (that can critical like 2200 or more). If you take all these into consideration... And also, take into account that the worse may happen and RH does a quake while relocating, which wipes out most of the party AND the dear radiants... I would say, a tank with absolute minimum of about 8000-8500 base HPs should consider taking up the task. And I said base assuming the tank would receive HP buffs from Warlords and / or Elementalists. Otherwise there will be much pain and despair...

Biskra is not that bad, meaning he doesnt do that high damage with a single attack. Although, of course he can still combo a lot, use weakening a lot, AND summon the lil Dopple, who is quite troublesome now if not handled properly. So, I guess same suggestion for Biskra too, although in theory he could be tanked with less HPs.

#21 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:15 AM

Yup, the only problems in Biskra are if it cast Weakening on tank (quite rare fortunately) and if mele dopple comes out and fear all the party. Stunts in Deadly Sea are annoying too, but technically you could tank it with a little less HP than RH.

Edited by Dess, 21 October 2010 - 09:03 AM.

#22 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

OK guys, time will come to rework some things..... Man, things keep changeing and changing....
So... if someone with a prot makes some experiment over dna and if you fell like it.... can you put the info plz?? Ill test things on myself too, but i think the more oppinions the better. Maybe you find something i didnt even think of trying.

And last thing.... why no1 wants my guide to be stiky.... I know its not pretty enough like some others, but its not that bad!!! http://forums.warppo...tyle_emoticons/default/icon_puppyeye.gif Hehehe, joking

Best of luck, Dess

#23 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:♪ ♥ ♪

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

You have to report your post to get a sticky.

#24 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

TBH dont care much, i was just joking XD

But maybe i will, no1 made a single prot guide here

#25 Luxiemg

Luxiemg

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1204 posts
  • LocationVenezuela
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Back in the old forum there was a guide i think Loyalty made it, maybe he/she/it could updated it and post it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users