#1 Kagrra

Kagrra

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

I've been trying to decide if I should make a Sage or a Wizard for my next character.
For a Sage, I would go with a Bolter build, since I like offense. I was also thinking about going Hocus-Pocus just to have a build that's for fun.
For a Wizard, I would probably go with a PvM build, of course.

But, I really want to know the pros and cons of each before I make a decision; this is one of the hardest ones for me to make, since I actually like both classes. I've been thinking about making one of each, but, for now, I'd like to just decide on one to make now. I've tried making both, but I always ended up deleting the characters; I don't want to do that this time. :< I'd like to actually stick with it, so that's why I'm asking for help on it.

#2 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

If you're going to trans it, I would suggest going Sage. Scholars are a really fun class to play.

That said, I personally main a hwiz. It's fun when you have a lot of dex and strings, and it's nice when you're WoEing as you're a vital part of the defense.

I would say that the negatives of a sage would be that they are harder to level than a wizard is, at least in a party setting. For example, at titans and the recent TI event, wizards were vital while sages were alright. However, scholars are more valuable than a hwiz in my opinion. But again, it depends if you plan on transing.

Hocuspocus is a fun skill, but it still takes gems to cast it. I don't know if you have that kind of money.

#3 Prodigy

Prodigy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationTX
  • Server:Transcendence

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

If you're into magical offense, then Wizard is the way to go. As far as offensive abilities go, Sages are just Mages that can walk while casting (unless it's Hindsight which is different).
Wizard
  • Strong AoEs
  • Icewall - good for MvPing
Sage
  • Can walk while casting, but only relies on bolt skills
  • Thunder Storm and Heaven's Drive are your only AoEs, and they're not strong to begin with
  • Hindsight is an alternative build which is good for 1v1, but needs a Linker slave

If we look at trans classes - Scholar vs High Wizard. Again, Hwiz are more offensive, and Scholars lean more on the supportive side
High Wizard
  • Mystical Amplification makes your AoEs much stronger
  • Basically a Wizard with more vit and dex
Scholar
  • Double Bolt makes it basically like a bolter/hindsight Sage, but with twice the fun
  • Fiber Lock to snare+tele enemies or double damage with Fire attacks
  • SP stuff

If you want to take it a step further and look at Renewal - Sorcerer vs Warlock. Both gets access to AoEs but Warlocks have wider and longer ranged AoEs while Sorcerers are more durable. (There is still a long debate on Sorc vs Warlock, so I can't give much conclusive info about them).

#4 Kagrra

Kagrra

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the information. :>
I've decided to make a Wizard, since it generally seems better suited for my tastes.
I'll probably make a Sage later if I really end up liking offensive magic classes.

#5 Symm

Symm

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • LocationProntera Pub.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Do what I did and make a HW and Scholar.

#6 Pineyman

Pineyman

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationiRO Chaos - sitting bored at west pront.
  • Server:chaos

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I have a cookie cutter wizzy and a bolter scholar~ I like power but somehow wizzy was too... boring? and somehow ended up transing my sage (old school battle sage build not even a linker slave for it) >.> well hope you enjoy your wizzy~ good luck!

#7 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Ok this is just a random comment off topic. But is anyone else annoyed with ppl that use small fonts for basic messages?

Not sure what they do or how/why they make it so small but it's just a little annoying. Wanted to try to head it off early before more people start doing it.

Now on the debate of Wizard VS Sage my vote, without knowing more, would have to go with Wizard. It's one of the 2 classes I recommend for beginners to make, other being Thief.

However if you were to tell me that you had lots of zenny, and I mean 100+ Million, or had a spare card, then my vote could be swung either way. But if you only have like 1 or 2 other chars and want to mainly go PvM or even MVP then Wizard is the way togo.

#8 Neutral12

Neutral12

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTraveling the world of Ragnarok Online.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

This may be a pretty late reply, however, I really recommend a Sage over a Wizard. However, I will give valid reasoning on each class.

Pros with a Sage

• They can move during spells.
  • They can disable enemy buffs as well as stop enemy skills.
  • They can enchant areas with elemental properties to make those elements stronger.
  • They can do a lot more damage single target wise vs a Wizard.
  • They can solo easy, depending on the set up.
  • They can enchant ally weapons with elemental properties.
  • They can cast spells while attacking physically.
  • They have a larger weapon selection, books.
  • When transed, they can use their bolts twice in 1 cast (At level 10, it would cast 20 hits instead of 10) making them incredibly good for single targets. As well as make their next 5 spells cast half as fast as they usually would (Foresight).
Cons with a Sage

• They are very limited on magic. They stay with the magic they have as a Mage (Excluding Earth Spike and Heavens Drive).
  • They can't AoE attack as well as a Wizard can.
  • Most skills are mostly effective in PvP (Such as dispell). However, they are effective on monsters as well.
  • They can't slow down enemies as well as a Wizard can.
  • People will try to automatically think you're full support most of the time (Happens to me a lot).
  • They can't MvP as well as a Wizard can.
  • When transed, they can't amplify all their magic by 50% like a Wizard can; or recover SP when attacking magically.

-------------------------------------

Pros with a Wizard

• They have a huge selection of different magic, making them especially prepared for almost every challenge.
  • Their magic is destructive and powerful, they are very preferred in parties.
  • A wizard can level with mobs easier then most classes.
  • Wizards can slow down their enemies using Quagmire. As well as lowering their Dex and Agi.
  • Wizards, likely in a party, can take down an MvP much easier then a Sage ever could.
  • Wizards, when transed, can recover SP by using single target attacks. As well as make their magic 50% more powerful.
  • Due to their skills, Wizards have a usual static stat set up (99 Int/Dex, Rest into Vit).
Cons with a Wizard

• Wizards are not as single target oriented as a Sage.
  • Wizards can't move during their spells like a Sage can.
  • Wizard spells are incredibly SP costly.
  • Wizards can't cancel enemy buffs or stop enemy spells like a Sage can.
  • Sages are usually better at PvP then a Wizard.
  • Wizards are not as defensive as Sages are.
  • Wizards can't make their spells half as fast like Sages can (when transed) or cast 2 bolts at once.

I hope this helps.

#9 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

This may be a pretty late reply, however, I really recommend a Sage over a Wizard. However, I will give valid reasoning on each class.

Pros with a Sage

• They can move during spells.
  • They can disable enemy buffs as well as stop enemy skills.
  • They can enchant areas with elemental properties to make those elements stronger.
  • They can do a lot more damage single target wise vs a Wizard.
  • They can solo easy, depending on the set up.
  • They can enchant ally weapons with elemental properties.
  • They can cast spells while attacking physically.
  • They have a larger weapon selection, books.
  • When transed, they can use their bolts twice in 1 cast (At level 10, it would cast 20 hits instead of 10) making them incredibly good for single targets. As well as make their next 5 spells cast half as fast as they usually would (Foresight).
Cons with a Sage

• They are very limited on magic. They stay with the magic they have as a Mage (Excluding Earth Spike and Heavens Drive).
  • They can't AoE attack as well as a Wizard can.
  • Most skills are mostly effective in PvP (Such as dispell). However, they are effective on monsters as well.
  • They can't slow down enemies as well as a Wizard can.
  • People will try to automatically think you're full support most of the time (Happens to me a lot).
  • They can't MvP as well as a Wizard can.
  • When transed, they can't amplify all their magic by 50% like a Wizard can; or recover SP when attacking magically.

-------------------------------------

Pros with a Wizard

• They have a huge selection of different magic, making them especially prepared for almost every challenge.
  • Their magic is destructive and powerful, they are very preferred in parties.
  • A wizard can level with mobs easier then most classes.
  • Wizards can slow down their enemies using Quagmire. As well as lowering their Dex and Agi.
  • Wizards, likely in a party, can take down an MvP much easier then a Sage ever could.
  • Wizards, when transed, can recover SP by using single target attacks. As well as make their magic 50% more powerful.
  • Due to their skills, Wizards have a usual static stat set up (99 Int/Dex, Rest into Vit).
Cons with a Wizard

• Wizards are not as single target oriented as a Sage.
  • Wizards can't move during their spells like a Sage can.
  • Wizard spells are incredibly SP costly.
  • Wizards can't cancel enemy buffs or stop enemy spells like a Sage can.
  • Sages are usually better at PvP then a Wizard.
  • Wizards are not as defensive as Sages are.
  • Wizards can't make their spells half as fast like Sages can (when transed) or cast 2 bolts at once.

I hope this helps.

I would have to point out though the Single Target stuff is not really as great over time when all the monsters you will be after are aggro and not passive any more. Also at that point having spells that can hit all of them is a good idea.

#10 Miyahira

Miyahira

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

wizzy does get boring... in pvm you mostly get to do 1 skill SG and from what I hear warlock isn't much differnt (jackfrost) so meh.... unfortunetly you can go through HW into warlock with only really SG.... which is sad..... >.<

but that forces you to learn inventive ways to lvl with your other skills =p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users