7 replies to this topic

#1 LionCub

LionCub

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Hey guys,

Been working on my Defender for a while, but I've never found any good builds that aren't just generalizations. I'm up to level 41, and I barely have any skill points spent. Can anyone give me an overview of what skills I should put points into and what ones I should avoid?

For example, someone once told me to avoid Vital Stab, they said max out Stone Skin, and DNA it, but nothing else really. Should I get Onslaught? Should I put anymore points into any other combat skills? Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

#2 KaraSimsek76

KaraSimsek76

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationTurkey
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Lintra

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:25 AM

Do not skill, vital stab, dire strike slash, chain slash onslaught, they miss too much and the dmg isn´t worth.

Max skin of stone,
max survival instinct,
quick attack, well depending on your weapon,
physical blessing filler,
fighting will filler,
max shield strike.

#3 LionCub

LionCub

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

So basically NO combat skills? I've already put one point into Chain Slash and Dire Strike Slash. I haven't put anything else into them yet.

My weapon is typically a one handed sword and a shield. Sometimes I'll use an axe if I find a good one.

#4 KaraSimsek76

KaraSimsek76

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationTurkey
  • Server:Lintra

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

So basically NO combat skills? I've already put one point into Chain Slash and Dire Strike Slash. I haven't put anything else into them yet.

My weapon is typically a one handed sword and a shield. Sometimes I'll use an axe if I find a good one.

Don´t put more points, the dmg difference isn´t much.

Look at your atk speed, with a sword you should skill QA to lvl 5 and axe 6, just make
sure you reach 1.0sec atk speed. (Which is only for AA, not skills)

Commander has good combat skills, so I would save the points.

#5 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

If you are talking about ONLY Defender skills... And assuming you would reskill later when you go Commander...

Personally, I did use vital stab at low levels. I actually maxed it and used DNA on it. Was my heaviest hitting skill, as a lowbie Defender always. Of course, allocate as many points as you can on stone skin, survival instinct, and enough quick attack to get 1.0 attack speed. same with shield strike. Yes, you should also use Onslaught too.

Again, all these assuming you will reskill at 50, so you can start building your Commander properly. Till then, vital stab can be a killer during lower levels and can have a nice DoT too.

#6 LionCub

LionCub

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

I see. Thanks for the heads up. Now what about non combat skills like the buffs and such? I know Skin of Stone and Survival Instinct, but what about the accuracy boost and such.

And no, this isn't so I can reskill once I get to Level 50 and change into a Commander. I don't want to have to worry about that. As of right now I'm level 42 and have 33 skill points free. Hopefully that'll be enough not to have to worry :blink:

Thanks for the help.

#7 Dess

Dess

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Idk, in my oppinion skills would have to be in the same line as gears. For example if you go full skill crit % chance to spend 1 point in each attack skill can be nice so you can spam skills and allways benefit of high skill crit. In that case i would go for an armor like FOC.

In case you decide to invest more balanced into skill crit and phys crit and use Seamless Polar armor or glorious S2 then those skills arent needed since auto attack works well on those gears.

Commanders are a very good class with lots of great skills, specially for PvP, and in the end youll have to chose what feats better your play style.

Also if you plan on doing some heavy tanking (raid bosses) youll need to invest into taunting cry a lot and get some hp jewels.

Some classes have very few builds that works, commanders are not that case in my oppinion and theres a lot of ways to buil them depending your play style.

Considering accuracy buff, the first job one is completly useless and the hp regen buff is even worst (hp does not regen in battle, so only lvl 1 as a filler to get survival and skin of stone). Considering commanders party accuracy buff... well... i wouldnt take it over than lvl 1, but i havent been a commander in a very long time so im a bit lost now

Still i have to agree with most ppl that most of your skill points would be used in second job skills, so better save them for that point.

#8 LionCub

LionCub

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well, I'm not really sure. I've never been good at PvP no matter what game it is, so I don't see why this would be different really, though I'm not adverse to trying.

I'd like to be able to do decent enough damage, but tanking as well if required. Guess that's not much to go on really lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users