Server scares newcomers away. - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Server scares newcomers away.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Alright I sent you a PM. You can light Heim's fire for me. (I think I lit his fuse a bit too much recently anway, he doesn't talk to me any more)

#27 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Alright I sent you a PM. You can light Heim's fire for me. (I think I lit his fuse a bit too much recently anway, he doesn't talk to me any more)

Don't worry, that happens, his job is really stressful. I wouldn't take it personally, he snaps at us from time to time as well Posted Image

#28 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

If you're on it... how about a warpportal solution for the other legit functions of RCX?
Especially Monster HP, information and Bowling Bash Lines were very usefull!

#29 Crabtipus

Crabtipus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

I would love monster hp/ exp overlay stuff.

#30 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

Sincerely doubt monster HP or bowling bash grids would ever enter the official client as those are both actually forms of cheating.

#31 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

Monster HP would be pretty nice, most other games have it. As for BB gridlines, they should just fix that.

I'd like to see party buff timers and the M2E functionality in RO. (the mini mini effect) - personalized chat channels would be nice but that's really a function of the GPS which is another thing altogether.

There should also be an exp tracker in game.

#32 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

Walls of text scare readers away from threads.

#33 Crabtipus

Crabtipus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

Sincerely doubt monster HP or bowling bash grids would ever enter the official client as those are both actually forms of cheating.

only if reading RO Database is cheating

#34 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

Thats like saying Running Core and running outlook express in the background are the same thing.

Seriously though, these aren't problems with RO at least not specifically. They are industry wide problems, and pop up in virtually every MMO that has free entry.

A lot of these features are relatively simple to setup with an external program, but trying to incorporate them into the existing program i would imagine is a lot bigger problem. I would imagine often iRO staff have the same issues communicating with HQ that players think they have communicating with iRO staff. There are VERY few games out there that communication is this open with.

Edited by Hrothmund, 25 August 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#35 JeremiahLoh

JeremiahLoh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Yggdrassil

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

Seeing Monster HP would become redundant for that Sage Skill... but then again, do people even use that Skill to find out a Monster's Property,Celestial Alignment and HP?

#36 Ardi

Ardi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

I'm kind of appalled to actually see people in this thread who try to send the same 'hi' to a friend every 20 seconds. I don't know about you guys, but I would find that really, really REALLy annoying.

Its not even the same character name half the time. I get annoyed when I'm checking to see if someone is logged on by going through their list of characters. You start out saying hey and end up just putting random dots and spam because its annoying.

#37 geniewinie

geniewinie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

Posted Image LEts make a character in Ymir then, since there arent any bots there Posted Image

then permanent play that character forever!

#38 Mcleod00

Mcleod00

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

I almost make a thread like this, since i saw the same problem since i comeback to iRO 2 weeks ago, i played the old iRO (10 years ago) and the GMs were so hard with the bots that the server was clean of them, but when i saw the horde of bots this time i almost cry... and i know that the members of Gravity have more important things to do than this but they can manage it in some ways.

Maybe if u report certain amount of bots u can have some kind of profit, like some items (random stuff) and u can motivate the ppl to report this bots. Or maybe the bot hunter program (someone already said it).

I really want to watch the iRO with less bots, never we can rid of this problem but at least we can decrease the number of them.

Sry, if my english is not so good but i hope you can understand me :3

#39 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

The HP Bars of RCX aren't really cheating.
RCX only knows the HP of that monster and counts the damage you do. If you run out of sight with that monster, RCX "forget" the HP, and shows it as full when you come back.
Same thing with monsters that allready lost HP, RCX don't know that and assume they're full, so the HP bar isn't correct.
It still can help you without being really cheating.

With BB Lines... these are just :blaugh: up and playing a Knight or Rogue Class with Bowling Bash without these lines is extremly frustrating and unfair. You simply can't remember every single line on every single map. But because these lines are always on the same coordinates, they can be shown easily, again, without even touching the client.
All this stuff is basically a "layover", that you could imitade with papers, clocks, pens, calculators, databases, etc. It makes the game easier, yes. But it's not cheating, as long as every player has access to it.
Having these possibilities from Gravity/Warpportal, as a safe and legal method, would be awesome.

#40 Seiken7

Seiken7

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I know this such a very old thing going on now in iRO but I would to just voice out my own feelings about this matter. I've been playing RO for 7 years but back then where all of the GMs are so very active in solving things like botting, scamming and etc. But I know they do still act in these kinds of problems but not that as active as before. We really do appreciate "EVERY" work you do every maintenance to keep us on playing this game. However, I still find myself annoyed in a way seeing all of this bots everywhere which really kills the feeling of "Online Community" where everybody interact to each other now whenever I go to a dungeon I always assumed every melee character types are bots unless they start reacting on my chat and emoticons. In my opinion, this is just so sad and to be honest I dont want to see this game fade away just because of this botting issue but it really kills the game seeing all of this bots walking around. Please GMs we beg you to do something about this or you can have your own community which is us to help out whatever is needed to be done we are tired of seeing this problem same over and over. If only I have the ability to banned bots I will volunteer to banned them three times a week just have the veterans and new players get this experience where all people inside the server are real people.

#41 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

I'm almost new to iRO, I started playing like 4 months ago, but just played for 2 weeks, got tired of bots and lag and left the server... it took my friends 3 months to convince me to come back to the server and the problem was still there (except lag, it reduced a lot).

Two weeks ago, I heard from a friend I met online that Game Masters have every posible solution to fix the problem with bots in free servers by implementing some of the (very efective) private servers' antibot features, but they just don't want to do it because they might be actually getting some profit from the "zeny selling" business and dealing with bots just might kill that extra income(claiming that GM's don't get paid well enough to motivate them to keep clean the server and they might be involved with the gold sellers in some way).

I'd be really disappointed if this was the case, but I hope it's not true. (But let's face it, it has a lot of sense if you think about it)

I've been wanting to quit server again since I feel like I'm playing in a server with 900 players and 2500 bots and that's just pretty discouraging.

Thanks to bots you can get really nice basic stuff for low prices, but it's really difficult for new players to compete with bots at the market when selling the only good drop we might get in ages and could be the difference between good and crappy gear. (I remember having bought a Smokie card for 200k... The seller was selling 150 of them... HOW CAN A NEW PLAYER COMPETE WITH PRICES LIKE THAT???)

Ok, I want to say more, but I have already made this post really long with gossips and plots... hope they are not true though...

#42 Seiken7

Seiken7

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yes to that Jstoneheart, I have this plan on stop playing RO for a while then come back and check to see if its still the same. This is very discouraging seeing this kind of problem and where all of the authorities of this game doesn't do or are not doing enough to stop this. I always believe if there is a problem there is always a solution.

#43 Keollyn

Keollyn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

The bots in Payon are scaring the crap out of me. If I weren't on this for a while, the title to this thread would be so correct.

#44 Ardi

Ardi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image LEts make a character in Ymir then, since there arent any bots there Posted Image

then permanent play that character forever!

You could just wait til you have enough zeny to receive a 'gift' of WPE from a friend. I know a ton of people that do not spend a single dime to pay for their subscriptions. Or you can pay the $7 make 9 novices enjoy vip for a month then never renew again with access to those chars still. The question is.... is $7 worth a bot farmer free server?

#45 HansLowell

HansLowell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationQuebec
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Some games have their way to get rid of bots, I know there was a count timer on another mmorpg that keep thrack of every character time they would play on their IP/account a day. They automated ban if people would play more than 15+ hours a day for consecutive weeks. Its probably not the best way to get rid of bot, but it reduce the impact of botting I guess

#46 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Some games have their way to get rid of bots, I know there was a count timer on another mmorpg that keep thrack of every character time they would play on their IP/account a day. They automated ban if people would play more than 15+ hours a day for consecutive weeks. Its probably not the best way to get rid of bot, but it reduce the impact of botting I guess

What about the people who vend or just AFK in game?

#47 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

I think a chat counting system could go a long ways. If x amount of chats are said within y time, then some sort of test could be implemented to determine if its a bot or not. Bots spam messages like 5 a second. Isn't there a way for the computer(iro system) to realize this and put a mute on. If something like this was implemented, it wouldn't fix the problem, but it would make it a much more happy world. Bots would be forced to slow down chat spamming to avoid mute.(I know current mute system doesn't work on bots, that's why iro needs to implement a method of analyzing this to coexist with a bot prevention system) Rather than 3 bots spamming a total of 15 messages a second, they'd be limited to less messages per second, which in turn would reduce lag for all Ro players, and reduce the effectiveness of gold spammers. Like I said, it wouldn't solve the problem, but, it most certainly is a step towards hindering bots. The ideal of trying to find one ban hammer solution forever is a very risky business, and in my opinion, it should be taken step by step. That way the "bot prevention system to-be" will be a great system that doesn't hinder the legit players.

#48 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

So... another "take care of server's players" post ignored?

#49 WaterBaron

WaterBaron

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:40 AM

Get volunteer's to ban spam bots the same way they have mods editing the official forums. It's not hard, it costs nothing, and there's plenty of people who enjoy the game enough to do it. They just need to come up with a way to give volunteers the ability to do it.

#50 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

Get volunteer's to ban spam bots the same way they have mods editing the official forums. It's not hard, it costs nothing, and there's plenty of people who enjoy the game enough to do it. They just need to come up with a way to give volunteers the ability to do it.

I discussed this option and no matter how we looked at it, its subject to abuse. Forums is one thing, but accounts have payment, private information, and play time associated with them. The bottom line is if you're not a gravity employee inside their building its not going to happen. GMs aren't even allowed to login to their GM accounts outside the building, if they can't do it outside of work you can rest assure we won't either. Posted Image

There are other options being discussed its just what IS feasible and what isn't.

Edited by Inubashiri, 27 August 2011 - 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users