• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GreyGum

GreyGum

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hello i just start RO and im just about to play but there seem to be 3 server to choose from. Im not sure what these server are because most game i play only have 1 portal. One of the server say VIP so i could guess thats for paying player. The other two like yggdrasil and valkyrie are they any different in some way? I dont want to choose a server and find out something is wrong.

Thks.

#2 Kaillera

Kaillera

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Play on Valkyrie. It's free. Lots of bots, but items are pretty cheap.

Yggdrasil is also free, but it's the youngest server out of the three. Not as botty as Valkyrie though. Prices of items are still fluctuating.

Ymir requires you to have VIP service in order to create character, but once you run out of VIP you can still play on it. Pay once to make characters there pretty much. It has the least bots out of the three servers. Prices are high on all items due to rarity.

#3 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

The VIP servers are free to play aswell in a way. You gain benefits if you pay for VIP one of which include making a character, so you have to pay atleast once. There was an event which offered one free character slot per account you JUST missed.

Free to play you are allowed to make a character free of charge and without any VIP benefits.

The biggest difference you'll see in these are bot farmers. Free to Play they're everywhere, VIP there's a few only due to the event I mentioned. Best way too choose is play Free to play, if you like the game but want less bots in your life pay for a server transfer.

#4 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

You can also save yourself a little trouble by making a character on Valk, seeing how you like the game, and just abandoning that and remaking on Ymir if you want an environment with fewer bots.

A server transfer is a paid service, and honestly as a new player you likely won't have anything really worth transferring over. You'll be able to level back up quickly enough.

#5 GreyGum

GreyGum

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

I didnt know this game has a bot issue. Is the bot issue really that bad and are they trying to deal with that problem?

#6 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

It's more the case even if they do deal with it, it's a free server. General rule in MMOs with farmers is; If it's a free server they are all over the place probably making new accounts daily, paid server little harder to see but they are there be it bot or someone actually playing all day long collecting items (I kid you not).

#7 DieNasty

DieNasty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1395 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

As a player of the Valkyrie server, I highly recommend that you play on the Ymir server. WHY? Everything on Valkyrie is so freaking expensive.

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

The free servers have a fairly bad bot problem. All the obvious methods of controlling it have been ineffective, as well, because it's free and farmers just keep making more bots (the botting is mostly done by foreign gold farming rings, not by people who actually play).

The biggest benefit of playing on Ymir is that there are very few bots there.

#9 blUk333

blUk333

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I am currently on the Valkyrie server, and have not had any issues. IIRC Valkyrie is the most populated server. Yes, there are probably bots, but there is also most likely bots on Ymir also. I have not had any issues on Valkyrie.

#10 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

I am currently on the Valkyrie server, and have not had any issues. IIRC Valkyrie is the most populated server. Yes, there are probably bots, but there is also most likely bots on Ymir also. I have not had any issues on Valkyrie.

There are certainly some bots on Ymir, you're right. But the number is very low. And when they are reported the GMs make a real effort to get rid of them. The same goes for the Zeny sellers in town. On Ymir we do get them from time to time, but not in the same number that Valk does. And they have much shorter life spans on Ymir.

I'm not sure how it stands now, but not too long ago someone was tracking the number of players logged in at any given time (using publicly available records) and determined that number of actual players, minus the bots, was comparable between the two servers. Maybe it's different now, but both servers do have a similar number of real players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users