Ragnarok Online Pumpkin Carving Contest - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ragnarok Online Pumpkin Carving Contest

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

As October winds quietly into it's last few weeks and the wind grows chilly it is the time of All Hallow's eve. Along with the quests and events we have active, why not see a few RO themed carved pumpkins?

Of course you can carve a ceremonial gourd into a reproduction of the faithful RO Poring mascot, but why stop there? Show me what you can do while I scramble to gin up some fun prizes (or maybe you should compete for the joy of competition eh??). Of course, the best ones will be showcased on our site, the facebook and such.

Here's a contest we did some years ago:

http://blog.gravityus.com/?p=257

Let's say, that the contest will run from now until November 1st, please post pics to your pumpkin creations ITT.

Good luck and get carving!

#2 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Awesome awesome. Time to lug home some pumpkins.

#3 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Would love to participate ^.^
But since we're not celebrating Halloween, I would carve this Pumpkin for this contest only - and I don't like wasting food (since you can eat all of the pumpkin), so...
Good luck to all participants ^.^ Love to see the results :P

#4 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Would love to participate ^.^
But since we're not celebrating Halloween, I would carve this Pumpkin for this contest only - and I don't like wasting food (since you can eat all of the pumpkin), so...
Good luck to all participants ^.^ Love to see the results :P

Are you native american or something?

#5 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

No, german, and we don't celebrate Halloween here.

Regarding the food stuff, I hate to throw away food.
I know it doesn't change anything if I do so or not. But I get sick when I see how much food is thrown away every day while there are people who have hunger and are starving. Not even only "somewhere" in the world - but also in the next bigger city.
I think it's a waste.
Also, with thinking that Thanksgiving is in the month after Halloween (or in the same month in Kanada), and Thanksgiving should be some kind of "thanking to what is given to us" (at least in my interpretation) - it's kinda sad...

Don't get me wrong, I won't blame anyone for carving pumpkins. Everyone should do what he or she wants to do (as long as it isn't hurting other living beings), but I simply can't bring it over me to buy a pumpkin and waste the food, when it could also be used for a tasty soup. That's just my point of view to this topic, and just because I can't, doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to.
As I said, it doesn't make a huge difference anyway - sadly.

#6 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Everyone should do what he or she wants to do (as long as it isn't hurting other living beings)

Pumpkins are people too, you know.

#7 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Carving pumpkins really are not terribly edible. They're grown and bred mainly for decorative use. Pie pumpkins are the preferred ones for eating, the flesh is thicker.

You can eat the seeds if you bake them, though.

#8 Chigikogou

Chigikogou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1778 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

^ That's why in soviet russia pumpkin carves you!

#9 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

I think you still don't get it, aren't you? ^^

Of course, using everthing cutting out from the pumpkin you carve to eat shouldn't be anything new.
But the rest of the pumpkin? That you use for decorative usage, putting it outside with a candle (or other lighting source) inside? You can't eat that after Halloween anymore. But you could before.
And this is basically what I'm talking about.
I'm fine with carving pumpkins, I even like the images I see of them and think that some of this work is amazing!
But I, personally can't throw food away. That's something I can't do. Because it makes me sad.
That's not an insult to anyone who carves pumpkins, that's not a lecture how you should handle your pumpkins, that's not a try to convice you of "not wasting any food" - it's just a statement and fact of something I can't do personally.

That's all I'm saying.

#10 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Kitten is right, American carving pumpkins are not really food. The only really edible part is the seeds, which can be eating anyway. The rest of it IS NOT TERRIBLY EDIBLE.

It's like people who grow the decorative indian corn. I mean... I *guess* you could eat it... if you were starving or something. But it's not food and it's not meant to be food.
In my opinion, it's more like growing a flower or something for ornamental purposes. I guess we could all be bleeding heart hippies and tear up all our flower gardens and plant vegetables.

In all honesty, living in Chicago has dispelled all of my niceties concerning society's "underprivileged" though. If you give a homeless guy an apple here, you know what he'll do with it? He'll throw it in the nearest trash can because it's not good enough for him. If you give one of them a ham sandwich, they'll refuse because they prefer turkey.

There is real hunger in the world, but let us our pagan harvest festivals. There is no shame in celebrating good fate that has brought us bounty.

Edited by Sera, 20 October 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#11 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Pumpkins are people too, you know.

#12 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

I don't wanna take it away for anyone, geez...
It doesn't change the fact that HERE, where I live, the only pumpkins you get are eatable, mostly delicous Hokkaido pumpkins.
I was only talking about me here, that I would love to participate, but that I just can't throw away food without being sad. It happens often enough that I have to, because I don't eat it fast enough or just decide that it's better if I don't eat as much as I originally planned to eat. And I'm always kinda sad at these moments because I think it's a waste. That's simply my opinion and something, I wanna support with buying a pumpkin to throw the most healthy and delicous part away after a while :P

It's nice that you have pumpkins for this that aren't eatable, that's actually a good thing!
But these pumpkins aren't aviable here - so I can't participate at the contest - which brings me back to my first post here stating that carving a pumpkin would be a total waste - also because I would only do it for a photo since it's not a tradition here and putting it outside would be odd o.O ...and seeing my dogs it wouldn't even stay long in it's shape I guess XD

On another note, we have such homeless people here, too.
A real problem though are mostly children who live in bad families where the parents just don't care and prefer to use the monthly money they get to drink or smoke... sadly...
This is only a problem in huge cities, like Berlin, and authorities do their best to catch these children up, giving them a place to study and play during the day and also giving them warm meals.

Still, throwing food away remembers me of the ones who would do anything for this food we easily throw away, and this worldwide injustice makes me sad. I feel like I'm arrogant to throw away food while somewhere someone is starving. That's nothing I can change as a person, but something that holds me back to buy stuff only to throw it away later :p_ang:

Anyway, we're getting terrible off topic here.
This should be a lightminded contest thread for great art, not a discussion about world hunger.

#13 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Anyway, we're getting terrible off topic here.
This should be a lightminded contest thread for great art, not a discussion about world hunger.

You should just edit your previous post and leave this part... you're making me not want to carve pumpkins and Kitten's video will forever haunt me.
Getting out of here now~~!!

Fixed, sorry Kitten :3!

Edited by Okii, 23 October 2011 - 02:41 AM.

#14 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

That was my video.

#15 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Lol here you go

#16 Okii

Okii

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

That was my video.

Fixed it xD

#17 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

I see like a thread of socio-economical cross cultural debate, but what I don't see? PUMPKIN PICS. PICS or KGTC (Kindly get to carvin')

#18 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

Sera and I lugged home two 20 pound pumpkins but we decided to wait until Halloween night to cut them up.

#19 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Server:RIP: Valkyrie

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

My Pumpkin carving... It turned out disproportionate. But in fact is suppose to be:

Posted Image

The pumpkin doesn't do her justice. =/ I went so gungho with carving it on such a small space too.. (Not only did I run out room, BUT!) I discovered that the pumpkin had collapsed today as well. o_O;

Edited by eerie, 30 October 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#20 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

This is my place holder. I need to finish it tomorrow (I've been working on it for hours and I'm tired).

It's not carved in the traditional way, it's etched out so that the image glows with different tonal variations. It's my first time doing it like this and it's hard. -Whimpers- It takes forever and it's hard to judge how much of the flesh to take off. I'll finish it before the deadline though. It's a Nightmare.

Posted Image

#21 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

And done. Kinda.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wanted to carve out a bit more but I was starting to threaten the structural integrity of the pumpkin. So I had to simplify it.:dunno: Some bits that were carved out didn't really glow like I'd hope, like the reaper-thingie's hand. That was probably due to the fact that it was a very thick pumpkin (it was huge, maybe like 20 pounds) and I didn't have anything finer than an Exacto-Knife to carve it out with and that couldn't easily get deep enough. But it was a learning experience!

And my camera is bad in low light.

Edited by Kitten, 01 November 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#22 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Here is mine. It is a Jakk.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic