An idea to fix inactive battlegrounds. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

An idea to fix inactive battlegrounds.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Loki

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

POPULAR

As we are all aware battlegrounds are empty maps no one goes on unless its via misclick. If you take a look at what battlegrounds have to offer, people will decline the time investment of battlegrounds, and put it into leveling or just simply not playing.

Well there is one idea that may or may not work, it seems like it could work on paper but it would require a little TLC to make sure its not rigged or cheated. Instead of making just a PvE experience turn ins, you could alternatively accept daily quests for battlegrounds (or repeat after via Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagereset stonePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image) that requires you to participate in an X ammounts of games or win an X amount of games. (My thinking would be half the number of wins, which would give the incentive to participate, if you lose you aren't punished you just have to play another game or two.)

But most of you are probably thinking, well what about level and gear balance? Well the answer to the level range would be just to make different level requirements, say one room you can be 135-150, another room 115-134, another one 99-114 and then 99 and under. Gear on the other hand, I'm not sure the game engine could make it so certain gear wasnt allowed. It would be marvelous to have some sort of gear ban (i.e. god items, mvp cards, certain mini-boss cards etc.) just so it would make it more fair for the general player.

And then lastly, how to fix people throwing games or using alts? Is it possible to accept only one IP at a time? I'm sure maybe someone would have another answer for this, but then maybe it wouldnt be such a big deal if it was level requirements are set, but i'm sure it would get bypassed somehow.

Recap for people who tl;dr
make battlegrounds give experience via turn ins.

edit: Fixed after popular demand.

Edited by Fonzie, 22 November 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#2 iiNote

iiNote

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1148 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hmm, this idea seems nice :mellow:
It would bring back BG, and fun in the same time :thumb:

#3 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Need some more people to chime in on this. Posted Image

#4 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I actually just tagged this thread into my suggestion thread. The expansion of different rooms for all those level ranges is a great idea in my opinion. It would slightly balance out the level differences.

I don't think IP limitations for accounts that can participate would work though.

#5 Dreimdal

Dreimdal

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

I don't think IP limitations for accounts that can participate would work though.

Yeah, and even if it were implementable, it'd be kind of unjust to family members or dorm-mates/roommates who want to play it together. Each of which is paying to play the game, not paying to be excluded from parts of the game.

Don't worry about alts so much.

#6 FiskBlack

FiskBlack

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationMexico, Campeche

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

Leveling is already sick easy right now with the weekly turnings, so it would be nice to give a boost to bg and make it WORTH to do it, i personally would join just for fun, but i absolutely love your idea.

What about giving Eden Merit badges to the winners also, or something like that?

Edited by FiskBlack, 20 November 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#7 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Well the idea behind make it give exp for turn ins, is so your basically forced to participate for that week if you want to level. Kinda like a kill 2 birds with 1 stone type of thing.

#8 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

I like this idea...PvP turn-ins would be super fun for those that enjoy slaughtering their fellow players.

I too wonder about the item banning...we know skill banning is possible but...

Hey, aren't event woes gonna have item limitations?
Maybe it's time to "ask Oda" how its gonna be scripted and if a permanent zone with those parameters can be created?

#9 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

The GMs won't listen to anything that has logic behind it.

#10 Kysiar

Kysiar

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationIn a house
  • Server:All of them

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

exp from BG? that sounds like a plan!

but then again izude arena and turbo track did that also, but no one plays those eithers ._. so make sure the exp is decent.

#11 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

This would do a great job of not only motivating people to use the BGs, but get them in the habit of doing them on a daily basis, *keeping* them active.

#12 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

There's more important things like stuffing filler garbage in lucky boxes. I doubt the GMs will ever do anything that actually benefits pvp.
They would rather cash in by selling pvp rewards for money.

#13 weaseI

weaseI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

heim said it's not ok to farm but it's ok to buy from box.

imo there's a lot can be done to improve flav/tierre but i dont think iro staff can do so as proven from the "random bg". i actually blame gravity about this and not heim & co.

#14 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

heim said it's not ok to farm but it's ok to buy from box.

imo there's a lot can be done to improve flav/tierre but i dont think iro staff can do so as proven from the "random bg". i actually blame gravity about this and not heim & co.

I blame them both. We don't know what or how hard Heim and co. try with HQ.

#15 Shiroi17

Shiroi17

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Haven't seen Myzery post a lot before but I guess I'll flag him as a troll =/

#16 Wanderer

Wanderer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Good to see more people suggesting stuff to resurrect BGs :mellow:

#17 shurareki

shurareki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Server:valk

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

i like this idea as well but like you said the DC is the bigger problem. i wonder what happen tho we used to have a thing that wouldn't let you run 2 instances of Ragnarok on the same computer i wonder what happened to that. I guess they are getting their money from dual clients.

#18 yyuuhhjjnnmm

yyuuhhjjnnmm

I made it Off Topic

• Lockdown
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

I actually like this idea. I've spent the past week just kvming... Found out there was no fun... mostly alts. Really boring for me.

#19 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Lol, I said most of those ideas before, completely ignored then.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:32 PM
The only problem I see with BG's is that if you entered a KVM side with a lot of people you can't go to the other side to fight agaist them unless you wait for 5 minutes as if you had already fought. This sucks. I sometimes go KVM to practice my WoE skills and I often find one of the rooms is already full and since I have already entered it, I can't enter the other side.

Another problem with battlegrounds is not battlegrounds itself, i the fact that almost everyone is a wussy and don't want to have real fights to earn KVM points, they only want to fight against alts and when someone else kicks their asses (damn suras, hehe) they go away crying and calling for their moms, leaving battlegrounds empty. (you can go and confirm it anytime you want. As soon as you beat a couple of them, they'll stop farming, even if they win)

A good way to reactivate BG's is to reduce/delete KVM rewards from seal quests, so people feel actually forced to play KVM to earn KVM. I have found that repeating the first seal quest several times every 2 weeks is far more productive than playing 3 daily hours of KVM matches. So, why would someone play BG's again if there's no actual motivation for it and there are better alternatives?

I'm pretty sure that if you make something like "trade 10 KVM POINTS (not badges) fo 1 eden merit badge" BG's wont have enough space for people and no one would have to wait for it to be full of alts to actually do something fun there.

Edited by JStoneheart, 21 November 2011 - 10:41 PM.

#20 Baphi

Baphi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

I would love something like this, or anything that makes BGs more active like they used to be D: I loved doing them especially when they were actual matches and not just farming. A lot of ideas have been thrown around, like more badges (didn't like that idea), announcements of when a number of people are waiting in rooms, things like that. But this seems more feasible given what our GMs do, and I'm fine with that as long as it gets people in there.

Also I agree with pretty much everything the above person says.

Edited by Baphi, 21 November 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#21 JStoneheart

JStoneheart

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

I'd actually love if EVERY quest in-game gave KVM badges as seal quest do. That way you'd love doing quests and revive them. BTW, quest should give REAL experience like they used to do pre-renewal. I have no reason to do quests besides access ones.

#22 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

The Idea isnt to give bg/kvm points away, my idea is just to give a reason for people to get back into BGs, as an incentive.

The whole KVM cooldown timer probably wont ever be removed, just because on how easy it is to abuse it. Unless someone literally monitored all the matches to assure its balanced, someone will always try to cheat.

#23 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts
  • Server:My Dreams + Loki

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

For the most part the mechanics for KVM or Battle Grounds have to be changed to enable it to become an actual game play mode. Why?

Well we have these following modes:

War of Emperium
Bunch of Random Not Really Important-_-

By constructing KVM and Battle Grounds to be genuine modes of game play it will support future changes for them. What should be remembered is that they're not War of Emerium, It should not be DPS based, rather more along the lines of Strategy and team work on a Micro level, rather then Macro or soloing as WoE is built now.

Some changes

Separation of classes fighting:
2-1 and 2-2 Classes Along Side Transcendent Classes
and
Transcendent Classes Along Side 3rd Tier

- Make premium hours for Battle Grounds, Offering 2x rewards
- Change the menu for how players will select their items (user a regular NPC Tool Shop Menu)
- Create a way to auto shuffle teams to reduce abuse
- Release new items only through Battle Grounds Item Store
- Disable Auto Follow on the maps
? Creating of new special instances, similar to Guild Dungeon, that pushes more towards killing players rather then just showing up.
? Recycle the disabled maps into usable maps to allow special instances
? Possibly doing a GvG version of Battle Grounds
? Recycling Old Maps to expand the world of Battle Grounds
? Guild Ranking System for Battle Grounds (based around the premium hours)
? Restricted access for players who place AFK characters into the Battle Grounds
*Possibly rewarding players for each player they defeat (So it's about battle and support)
*Using damage caps, to allow players to fight rather then just one shot
*Create new mechanics to push players to create characters specifically for Battle Grounds - remember this is a RPG a ROLE playing game... got to play the role.
*Changing card and skill effects to keep balance while a player learns and grows, rather then it increasing at odd and exponential rates.
*Allowing players to pick teams Prince Croix or General Guillaume and gaining double rewards when competing for their team.

If the idea can be taken seriously to honestly push BattleGrounds in to its own mode of game play, we'll see an increase of players wanting to compete.

#24 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Assad... no. I disagree with 99% of your post, but there is one two things I do agree on... the way items are sold.. the catalog system can be pretty frustrating. I also liked the re-use of old maps.

But back to your post, you completely contradicted yourself on some of what you said. You talk about needing to change the way BGs work, (because you said WoE is boring) but then you talk about a GvG version. And no we don't need to change cards or skills to "balance" anything just for this. Guild ranking system? No. Two words... God Items. Then lets talk about the damage cap idea, well thats bad because someone would figure what skill does the most and people would just use that. (So you'd go from champs running the majority of the show to something else)

I dont want to sound like an ass but, you have no idea what my original post was about. It was about getting people back into BGs actively with an incentive, you're basically trying to make Battlegrounds 2.0.

edits: fixed spelling/grammar errors lawl

Edited by Fonzie, 22 November 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#25 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts
  • Server:My Dreams + Loki

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

What you may not really understand, that there is no proverbial sliver bullet to the situation. There is no ONE solution that can be added, replaced or removed that will create a continuous pull or need for players to participate in battle grounds. Evidently, I never said WoE was boring, I've said that it's a bunch of one sided fist fights which doesn't make the game challenging, which ties in to the issue why can't a broken and genuinely under used system be changed? It wont have dramatic affects since, no one participates on a regular basis to begin with, why can't it be changed to be more lucrative through a multi perspective pronged attacks, rather then just the singular; "Turn In's".

But the ideas proffered are not and should not be for short term solutions. Short terms solutions is what has really ruined the integrity of the game and caused conflict among players. With more discussed, rather then only running with one idea, it allows for a more constructive and inclusive discussion that has a higher probability to really have the updates and additions support productive game play rather then support the broken aspects of the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users