Trying to figure out what to play - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to figure out what to play

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

My favorite role in MMO parties is the nuker. Generally, that's a complex design built around heavy AoE damage and moderate crowd control, on a fragile character. That last part *is* important - I don't find being a demigod fun, as there's no challenge to it. Pre-Renewal, the class for this was obvious. Now, I'm really not sure.

The closest I've been able to come is a Madomech, and that seems like it's the best I'm going to do for Renewal mechanics. Their physical AoEs cast more like spells than melee hits and pack a respectable punch (although it's more spammy and less nukey), and they have some light support, on a class which isn't too insane in the defense department. I've played it up to 109 so far, and while it's not an amazing fit, it at least kinda plays like what I'm aiming for.

Does anyone have a better suggestion, or should I stick with that?

#2 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

AOE damage, mob control, moderate DPS on single target and high HP - Go for RK

#3 thomascgty

thomascgty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, CA
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

My favorite role in MMO parties is the nuker. Generally, that's a complex design built around heavy AoE damage and moderate crowd control, on a fragile character. That last part *is* important - I don't find being a demigod fun, as there's no challenge to it. Pre-Renewal, the class for this was obvious. Now, I'm really not sure.

The closest I've been able to come is a Madomech, and that seems like it's the best I'm going to do for Renewal mechanics. Their physical AoEs cast more like spells than melee hits and pack a respectable punch (although it's more spammy and less nukey), and they have some light support, on a class which isn't too insane in the defense department. I've played it up to 109 so far, and while it's not an amazing fit, it at least kinda plays like what I'm aiming for.

Does anyone have a better suggestion, or should I stick with that?

Have you tried Royal Guards?

With all the characters I played, I have most fun leveling up swordie->sader->high swordie->pally
I aim my to-be Royal Guard as support/offensive type.

Edited by thomascgty, 04 December 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#4 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Mechs are getting a considerable boost with balance patch. If you enjoy playing one now (i play one too)
things are going to be so much better after we get our skills boosted.

Mech are also slated for an HP mod boost.

And greeding never, ever gets old.

#5 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

If balance patch would not be here, I would tell you to be a useless class wanderer. Severe Rainstorm and Deep Sleep Lullaby would be what you would be looking for. And if you really want to be weak, grab a baby one.

Geneticists also can fill this role of glass cannon killer.

#6 sayoko

sayoko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

And greeding never, ever gets old.

backpack :P

#7 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

RK and RG have no crowd control.

It sounds like you're describing a mage class. Crowd control in the form of White Imprison, Sienna Execrate, Jack Frost (freezing with balance patch), Frosty Misty (huge slow + slow cast), or Arullo, Extreme Vacuum, Fiberlock, Dispell.

Fragile? Yes, if you don't know how to white imprison yourself, Safety Wall (with the balance patch, preventing overflow damage), Level 1 Aqua for Sacrifce, Blinding Mist, etc.

Now, for the debatable part: the heavy AoE damage.

You definitely cannot compare the damage to a fully decked out +14 KVM speared Storm Blast RK, but if you really want to play a mage class, you really need to gear it to make any kind of difference. It isn't a Sura, where a +5 Carga + gfist will let you kill most average/below average geared people, and it isn't a RG where a hunting spear + kvm spear means instant death for even more.

The damage though is definitely not something to laugh off if you equip yourself properly. And I have reason to believe that with the upcoming patch, Chain Lightning will become incredibly powerful without the need for strings.

#8 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like Mado is indeed my best bet, thanks.

I may look at the swordies in the future, but I don't tend to like tanker types.

I play primarily PvM in parties, so no, chain lightning isn't going to do enough for parties to care, not with meleers spamming 50k hits on the entire mob.

#9 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

Specifying your main concern was with PvM would have been an important piece of information before hand.

I'd personally let a warlock in my TI party before a mechanic, for 20k screen wide Jack frost spamming, and that's on non fire/water monsters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users