Very new to Ragnarok, need help ! - Class Discussion - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Very new to Ragnarok, need help !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 Pestie

Pestie

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hi, i am currently looking to start playing this game as it looks very fun to me. I like to research what classes i want to play in almost every game i play and i am having trouble picking a class for this game :S. I am looking at ethier making a mage, archer or merchant. So here are a few questions

What is a good class to start playing with no funds?
What class will be a good solo class?

btw for mage im thinkin warlock, for archer im thinkin wanderer or ranger, and for merchant im thinking geneticist\

ty

#2 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

dont make a merchant. Save it for later. Mage or archer both are fine. You can go for swordy or thief too. All these characters are good. Mages will need parties when warlock though. Maybe they all need parties. My advice though is go for ranger coz its very fun and fast to lvl up.

#3 wotmint

wotmint

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

With no funds I would suggest thief later change to rogue. Auto-steal ftw. Other than that anything agi setup classes, agi-swordie, agi-merch/smith. With merch you get discount and overcharge.

Solo classes would depend on how you setup your toon, AGI spear crusader is very decent choice. Crescent scythe + spear quicken is awesome.

Overall with eden gears you should have no problem leveling on your own with any classes, bar maybe acolyte. Which reminds me, do eden turn-in quests for faster leveling.

Edited by wotmint, 25 December 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#4 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

With no funds I would suggest thief later change to rogue. Auto-steal ftw. Other than that anything agi setup classes, agi-swordie, agi-merch/smith. With merch you get discount and overcharge.

i cannot believe you just advised to go for merchant class. They are big zenyeaters when it comes to leveling. The poor guy will leave ragna before reaching second class.

#5 wotmint

wotmint

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Not really, unless you mammonite your way up. OC/DC is the key. You start with 400-500 red pots remember? Those things will last until lvl 30 (if not more) if you choose your leveling zone carefully. Eden gears also helps. And I said Agi setup. You just need to level until OC 10 and then start another toon. You can go for DC 10 if you want.

Edited by wotmint, 25 December 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#6 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Not really, unless you mammonite your way up. OC/DC is the key. You start with 400-500 red pots remember? Those things will last until lvl 30 (if not more) if you choose your leveling zone carefully. Eden gears also helps. And I said Agi setup. You just need to level until OC 10 and then start another toon. You can go for DC 10 if you want.

try to level a merchant to 99 without any kind of help from ur other characters or accounts. You'll know wat i'm talking about.

#7 wotmint

wotmint

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Do you even read what I post? I dont want to argue with you, you seem like a good guy.

To reiterate, "You just need to level UNTIL OC 10 and then start another toon". I didnt said go for 99, not even once. Just to get OC 10 only, after that transfer stuff between toons with your merch holding most of your zeny.

Oh and with current level requirements drops (up to L70, Jlvl 50), it'll be a little bit easy.

The point here is to create your cash pool.

Edited by wotmint, 26 December 2011 - 03:14 AM.

#8 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

Do you even read what I post? I dont want to argue with you, you seem like a good guy.

To reiterate, "You just need to level UNTIL OC 10 and then start another toon". I didnt said go for 99, not even once. Just to get OC 10 only, after that transfer stuff between toons with your merch holding most of your zeny.

Oh and with current level requirements drops (up to L70, Jlvl 50), it'll be a little bit easy.

The point here is to create your cash pool.

hahaha. Nvm..

I know wat u meant. And i agree ur advise is really beneficial, but its no fun :-(

#9 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

try to level a merchant to 99 without any kind of help from ur other characters or accounts. You'll know wat i'm talking about.

Gravy. My main has always been merchant since beta ( and leveling was a LOT slower then, and no eden equips ). With eden group equips and stuff merchant is easy as hell. The worst is gonna be finding pearls on the market for crazy uproar and hunting the other non-NPC buyable junk for revo.

Don't go archer at first, arrows get expensive. You will end up stabbing stuff with a cheap dagger when you run low and thats no fun.

If I had to start over again I would go hybrid merchant > alchy > trans again in a heartbeat.

#10 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

Gravy. My main has always been merchant since beta ( and leveling was a LOT slower then, and no eden equips ). With eden group equips and stuff merchant is easy as hell. The worst is gonna be finding pearls on the market for crazy uproar and hunting the other non-NPC buyable junk for revo.

Don't go archer at first, arrows get expensive. You will end up stabbing stuff with a cheap dagger when you run low and thats no fun.

If I had to start over again I would go hybrid merchant > alchy > trans again in a heartbeat.

ur just hopelessly in love with merchant class. And i dont agree. I know how much i've suffered leveling my smith.
While talking of archer, i really dont think that archer is expensive at all. At lower levels, 1 DS = 1z = 1 kill. Quite efficient if u ask me.
And even if u dont use skills, damage is always high coz of high dex. So it only takes few arrows, and drops are always worth more.

#11 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Actually a Agility Based Blacksmith CAN be a good character to start with. And it is pretty straight forward to level. This skill build HERE is a good one to follow. Now if you do NOT want togo job 50 as Merchant then you can cut points in what you like but I would leave Discount & Overcharge alone. Also Pushcart is good to have maxed so you don't lose speed for dragging around your cart while leveling.

Really Mammonite is a skill I stay away from at almost all costs. I mean it's only a single target attack and at low levels why bother? Also ounce you get BSmith and get ARush you will be attacking super fast anyway.

Even if you choose NOT to have a Merchant char as your first, I recommend at least leveling one up high enough to max OC/DC and 1 in Vend at min (Job 30) so that if you buy anything like wings, pots and concentration pots and things like that you get the discount. Remember you can then put those items in storage for other characters on the same account.

Other good starting characters that don't require a lot of zenny to level are mostly Agility based and Sader > RG would be one to use and also Thief>Rogue>Stalker>Shadow Chaser is the other for looting ability.

Also Early Mage users don't really require any money to start really as if you level them properly (Follow my guide in Mage Section) then you never need pots until a LOT later.

#12 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

Actually a Agility Based Blacksmith CAN be a good character to start with. And it is pretty straight forward to level. This skill build HERE is a good one to follow. Now if you do NOT want togo job 50 as Merchant then you can cut points in what you like but I would leave Discount & Overcharge alone. Also Pushcart is good to have maxed so you don't lose speed for dragging around your cart while leveling.

Really Mammonite is a skill I stay away from at almost all costs. I mean it's only a single target attack and at low levels why bother? Also ounce you get BSmith and get ARush you will be attacking super fast anyway.

Even if you choose NOT to have a Merchant char as your first, I recommend at least leveling one up high enough to max OC/DC and 1 in Vend at min (Job 30) so that if you buy anything like wings, pots and concentration pots and things like that you get the discount. Remember you can then put those items in storage for other characters on the same account.

Other good starting characters that don't require a lot of zenny to level are mostly Agility based and Sader > RG would be one to use and also Thief>Rogue>Stalker>Shadow Chaser is the other for looting ability.

Also Early Mage users don't really require any money to start really as if you level them properly (Follow my guide in Mage Section) then you never need pots until a LOT later.

i agree about the OC/DC part. Wat i was actually trying to imply is when u start any new game, fun is the primary criteria.
Merchant class doesnt get any offensive skill till lvl 35(except stupid mammo.)
if you lvl slow right from the beginning, then the fun evaporates quickly. Hence i always advice ranged characters to new players. They get high damage output early and keep u interested in the game.

#13 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Having started every single class type except for super novice, I can honestly say dragging a merchant to blacksmith was the worst early game experience I've ever had.
The easiest classes to start with IMO, in this order Archer>Thief>Gunslinger>Ninja>Swordsman>>Acolyte>Taekwon Do Kid>Merchant.

Arrows and bullets are not expensive at all, you max DEX and AGI and you do serious damage. Archers are like the safest characters, they almost never get hit, same with gunslingers.

Thieves have double strike and Flee passive skills and they excel early on. They do great damage and don't get hit very often.

Ninjas are pretty strong, they have haze slasher, shadow slash, cicada skin shed, and throw shuriken early on. They are very capable and not as expensive as people tend to believe, solely selling to buy shops and NPCs more then compensates for the cost of shurikens. Afterwards they get throw Kunai and they are one of the strongest classes after level 30. Throw Kunai one shots so many monsters. All I did was use the buy shop, I only have one account and my ninja had to earn all it's own money.

Swordsman are very hardy, do great damage, can stand and bang with their hp recovery passive boost. Bash is good when you're close to getting mobbed, magnum break is great when you are mobbed.

Acolytes are actually pretty decent. They can self heal, self teleport and warp, they have great buff skills, they have pneuma and ruwach which are essential skills.

TDK's are pretty crappy. They are a lot like a combo monk, they do pretty good damage early, but they get worse as they go on.

Merchants...yikes. All they do is ctrl+click. New players won't use their active skills. They attack very slow, don't have anything going for them combat wise. New players should never go alchemist. They are very expensive, and the main way of leveling them is afking while their homunculus attacks everything. Blacksmith is kinda fun though, sweet buffs, but getting to blacksmith is the real challenge.

#14 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Having started every single class type except for super novice, I can honestly say dragging a merchant to blacksmith was the worst early game experience I've ever had.
The easiest classes to start with IMO, in this order Archer>Thief>Gunslinger>Ninja>Swordsman>>Acolyte>Taekwon Do Kid>Merchant.

Arrows and bullets are not expensive at all, you max DEX and AGI and you do serious damage. Archers are like the safest characters, they almost never get hit, same with gunslingers.

Thieves have double strike and Flee passive skills and they excel early on. They do great damage and don't get hit very often.

Ninjas are pretty strong, they have haze slasher, shadow slash, cicada skin shed, and throw shuriken early on. They are very capable and not as expensive as people tend to believe, solely selling to buy shops and NPCs more then compensates for the cost of shurikens. Afterwards they get throw Kunai and they are one of the strongest classes after level 30. Throw Kunai one shots so many monsters. All I did was use the buy shop, I only have one account and my ninja had to earn all it's own money.

Swordsman are very hardy, do great damage, can stand and bang with their hp recovery passive boost. Bash is good when you're close to getting mobbed, magnum break is great when you are mobbed.

Acolytes are actually pretty decent. They can self heal, self teleport and warp, they have great buff skills, they have pneuma and ruwach which are essential skills.

TDK's are pretty crappy. They are a lot like a combo monk, they do pretty good damage early, but they get worse as they go on.

Merchants...yikes. All they do is ctrl+click. New players won't use their active skills. They attack very slow, don't have anything going for them combat wise. New players should never go alchemist. They are very expensive, and the main way of leveling them is afking while their homunculus attacks everything. Blacksmith is kinda fun though, sweet buffs, but getting to blacksmith is the real challenge.

absolutely perfect

#15 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

I can't believe it but you totally left out a class here.

WHAT ABOUT MAGES!!!

Mages are the easiest class imho to level early on to 2nd class (Other than the Wiz test). If played properly they need NO zenny input till like level 70+ or only Fly Wings now and then.

I really can't say anything for the Gun or Ninja as I have not really played either. TK kids as well since i have NOT made one since renewal hit. Have 2 around level 60 from pre renewal though.

Also I believe you have exagerated the ease of Archer classes. While it's true that with Double Strafe you rarely ever get hit, this soaks up major sp early on and you have to constantly sit to regen sp every few kills which makes it take a lot longer than it should.

Mages FTW!!!

#16 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

*shrugs* I didn't get deep enough into mages to comment on them.

#17 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

I can't believe it but you totally left out a class here.

WHAT ABOUT MAGES!!!

Mages are the easiest class imho to level early on to 2nd class (Other than the Wiz test). If played properly they need NO zenny input till like level 70+ or only Fly Wings now and then.

I really can't say anything for the Gun or Ninja as I have not really played either. TK kids as well since i have NOT made one since renewal hit. Have 2 around level 60 from pre renewal though.

Also I believe you have exagerated the ease of Archer classes. While it's true that with Double Strafe you rarely ever get hit, this soaks up major sp early on and you have to constantly sit to regen sp every few kills which makes it take a lot longer than it should.

Mages FTW!!!

Mages are good, no doubt. But casting time puts them behind archers in terms of leveling early on.
And archers using bows get high damage early on due to high dex. Hence even if they ctrl+click, they kill better due to ranged advantage.

#18 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Mages are good, no doubt. But casting time puts them behind archers in terms of leveling early on.
And archers using bows get high damage early on due to high dex. Hence even if they ctrl+click, they kill better due to ranged advantage.

I guess it just depends what stat you get first as an archer then Dex or Agi. Ctrl+Clik really needs that Agi for atk speed while Double Strafing benefits from Dex quite a lot.

In regards to Mage cast time I am not sure if you know, but they cut Bolt times in half. So a level 10 Fire or Cold bolt now only takes 3.5 seconds. And for most of the time you only use lvl 2-5 so really it's only 1-2 seconds per cast. Also Mages will rarely have to rest for SP when doing this properly as they have big sp pools to draw from.

Even when casting a level 10 bolt it's usually going to be a one hit knock out (ohko) and if hunting properly it will not be on aggressive monsters so no risk of being hit. Monsters like Grand Peco later in the game (Love to hunt them for Wind of Verdures).

EDIT: I just realized one thing we are perhaps both overlooking. Both these characters take SOME skill to use properly. Mainly lining up elements properly to do the most damage. I just believe that Mages have it a BIT easier early on especially with FWall.

To the OP I guess you have you answer of 2 quickest being either Mage or Archer. For 3rd classes I have to give the Maestro/Wanderer the edge over WL's or Sorc though.

Edited by EvilLoynis, 31 December 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#19 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Just because you don't know how to play a merchant doesn't make them suck or hard to level. One of the absolute easiest classes to level, you can do decent damage from start on by pumping a bit of AGI DEX and STR ( plus with alchy . smith no stat absolutely HAS to be maxed for a viable build - and often hybrids are better then pure stat builds), has close to the same HP mod as a knight ( until genetic) has a very easy to use mobbing skill mid game or slightly before ( you really don't need revo before you get it at ALL), has a skill that adds STR and most of all can carry whatever you need at all times so no stopping back by a kafra to weapon / armor switch or grabe pots, has a HUGE weight carrying capacity and can carry double the amount of items that any other class can. On top of that gets items cheaper than any other class on 95%+ of NPCs, you can sell stuff to other players ( the bulk of your money making in game <.< ) and / or do item crafting. it's easy to hit 185-188 ASPD through plain old pots and AGI with a sword mace doing decent damage. Ele or endowed SM is more than adequate to drop any monsters you will level on within seconds or less, mobs drop very fast with revo with it as well. Homunculus is just icing on the cake, anyone who uses their homunculus to level full time ( not as an assistant I mean like AFK level) is just plain stupid since they get no JEXP.

#20 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

We're talking about someone playing a first class character, not what happens after trans. MERCHANTS, not mechs not gens, are the most difficult to level of any classes. Merchants don't have combat skills or passive skills that boost combat stats. MERCHANTS, not gens, not mechs

#21 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

We're talking about someone playing a first class character, not what happens after trans. MERCHANTS, not mechs not gens, are the most difficult to level of any classes. Merchants don't have combat skills or passive skills that boost combat stats. MERCHANTS, not gens, not mechs

I'm talking about MERCHANTS not genetics or mechanics MERCHANTS get the OC / DC / cart revo and decent HP mods. MERCHANTS can get 185+ APSD easy ( as either alchy or smith ) or better yet moderately high ASPD and VIT for mobbing. MERCHANTS other than knights / saders have the highest survivability of any of the first or 2nd classes as well as the SP pool to mob decently, at least once you hit alchemist since smiths don't get that big of an increase. MERCHANTS can equip sword maces as soon as they hit mid 30s, MERCHANTS can wear the pretty much the exact same DEF gears that a knight or sader can AND have easier to use mobbing skills.

And really? Cart revo / crazy uproar don't do anything? Mammo is a decent skill for when you are higher level even if it is less efficient than cart revo, and realistically you don't NEED any other attack skills until you hit 2nd job anyways, lower level monster don't mob and you have no SP to speak of at low levels on anything but a mage or aco. You could level a merchant > 99 alchy pre-RE with ~60 in EVERY stat quite easily, and with renewal it is even easier.

Genetics may level "easy" but do NOT level efficiently, they cost a assload of zeny hence why having the ability to MAKE money is essential. Not that anyone was even talking about genetics but just letting you know.

#22 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

I'm talking about MERCHANTS not genetics or mechanics MERCHANTS get the OC / DC / cart revo and decent HP mods. MERCHANTS can get 185+ APSD easy ( as either alchy or smith ) or better yet moderately high ASPD and VIT for mobbing. MERCHANTS other than knights / saders have the highest survivability of any of the first or 2nd classes as well as the SP pool to mob decently, at least once you hit alchemist since smiths don't get that big of an increase. MERCHANTS can equip sword maces as soon as they hit mid 30s, MERCHANTS can wear the pretty much the exact same DEF gears that a knight or sader can AND have easier to use mobbing skills.

And really? Cart revo / crazy uproar don't do anything? Mammo is a decent skill for when you are higher level even if it is less efficient than cart revo, and realistically you don't NEED any other attack skills until you hit 2nd job anyways, lower level monster don't mob and you have no SP to speak of at low levels on anything but a mage or aco. You could level a merchant > 99 alchy pre-RE with ~60 in EVERY stat quite easily, and with renewal it is even easier.

Genetics may level "easy" but do NOT level efficiently, they cost a assload of zeny hence why having the ability to MAKE money is essential. Not that anyone was even talking about genetics but just letting you know.

We are talking about a new player who does not have the kind of funds to buy a swordmace or use mammomite. And you keep bringing up gens and mechs over and over when we're just discussing first classes. Did you even read my post?

#23 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

We are talking about a new player who does not have the kind of funds to buy a swordmace or use mammomite. And you keep bringing up gens and mechs over and over when we're just discussing first classes. Did you even read my post?

You obviously didn't read mine. The only time I brought up genetic was when I said MERCHANTS > alch / smith had the same or near enough HP mods as knights / sader UNTIL they hit genetic then the HP mod sucks.

And seriously? A merchant that can't afford a 38K ( 50K even if you have level 0 DC) weapon at level 35? If a player is THAT inept they wouldn't be able to afford any weapons for any other class, much less arrows as you want to recommend...

As for mammo, DUH herpa derp you do know what LESS EFFICIENT means yes? It means use revo most of the time... the skill that is easier to use than BB / brandish, costs less SP, and as a second class you have a LOT more SP as alchy or smith than a knight, hits ghosts ( granted so does BB but with double the SP cost ) and is almost infinitely spammable compared to BB or even DS and can be gotten AS A FIRST CLASS skill.

Heres a hint: I have played this game since the BETA days, I have had at least a 99 pre-RE in every class except for stalker+, I know a LOT more about what starting out on any character is like. I have gotten bored and given full accounts away after they where full of 99's and started over with nothing, AND just plain started over with nothing out of boredom. Merchants are the easiest and cheapest to gear and level PERIOD. you don't NEED an immune, you don't NEED a mocking all you NEED is: NPC chainmail, NPC mace, NPC boots, NPC mant, NPC buckler. Anything else is just icing on the cake, racial shields aren't a 100% requirement but are nice. Green boots aren't required, but are nice... same with pretty much any gear.

#24 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

What is a new player suppose to before they're 38/35 and are then able to learn cart revolution? And where are they suppose to get the supplies for the quest? Banana juice, grape juice, and 20 iron. Merchant should never be a new players first character.

#25 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

what do you do til J30-35? The exact same thing you do with any other little nublet with extremely limited SP, ctrl click :thumb:

Banana juice: lets see, do a 5 min quest that costs like 50Z for a piece of meat and use NPC bought bananas. Added bonus you can turn grapes into grape juice for SP / selling. Grapes are in payon caves as well, one of the main low level leveling places... or at least it should be since it regularly drops items worth 5K.

Iron: hmm chon chon, a level 5 monster drops them, or warrior drops them, the goblins drop them, if you ask politely most players in the game would give them to you. Not that it should be a problem killing the monsters that drop it though orc warriors are ~8 levels higher so right around the range you would be wanting to fight them. goblins are for the most part the same.

This is RO not rocket surgery. Oh, no... you might have to think ahead * gasp shock horror * that doesn't mean that leveling a class is hard just because YOU didn't happen to look ahead and find out how to make a build and do planning. Hell, it's a billion times easier now that we have irowiki, try starting out when all the info we had on the game was class descriptions and really poorly set up pages of skill descriptions that where MOSTLY right on the RO home page, no databases for items / weapons / monsters. Not even any forums, except ROEmpire which came later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users