Very new to Ragnarok, need help ! - Page 2 - Class Discussion - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Very new to Ragnarok, need help !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#26 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

You obviously didn't read mine. The only time I brought up genetic was when I said MERCHANTS > alch / smith had the same or near enough HP mods as knights / sader UNTIL they hit genetic then the HP mod sucks.

And seriously? A merchant that can't afford a 38K ( 50K even if you have level 0 DC) weapon at level 35? If a player is THAT inept they wouldn't be able to afford any weapons for any other class, much less arrows as you want to recommend...

As for mammo, DUH herpa derp you do know what LESS EFFICIENT means yes? It means use revo most of the time... the skill that is easier to use than BB / brandish, costs less SP, and as a second class you have a LOT more SP as alchy or smith than a knight, hits ghosts ( granted so does BB but with double the SP cost ) and is almost infinitely spammable compared to BB or even DS and can be gotten AS A FIRST CLASS skill.

Heres a hint: I have played this game since the BETA days, I have had at least a 99 pre-RE in every class except for stalker+, I know a LOT more about what starting out on any character is like. I have gotten bored and given full accounts away after they where full of 99's and started over with nothing, AND just plain started over with nothing out of boredom. Merchants are the easiest and cheapest to gear and level PERIOD. you don't NEED an immune, you don't NEED a mocking all you NEED is: NPC chainmail, NPC mace, NPC boots, NPC mant, NPC buckler. Anything else is just icing on the cake, racial shields aren't a 100% requirement but are nice. Green boots aren't required, but are nice... same with pretty much any gear.

like i said, you are just hopelessly in love with merchant class.
And truthfully, i've been playing this game since it launched(on and off though). Everytime i come back, i start with a new account. And my first character is NEVER a Merchant.

Its just plain and simple. Ctrl+click will never match Bolts, DS, AS, Double Atk, Bash etc.

#27 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

what do you do til J30-35? The exact same thing you do with any other little nublet with extremely limited SP, ctrl click :thumb:

Banana juice: lets see, do a 5 min quest that costs like 50Z for a piece of meat and use NPC bought bananas. Added bonus you can turn grapes into grape juice for SP / selling. Grapes are in payon caves as well, one of the main low level leveling places... or at least it should be since it regularly drops items worth 5K.

Iron: hmm chon chon, a level 5 monster drops them, or warrior drops them, the goblins drop them, if you ask politely most players in the game would give them to you. Not that it should be a problem killing the monsters that drop it though orc warriors are ~8 levels higher so right around the range you would be wanting to fight them. goblins are for the most part the same.

This is RO not rocket surgery. Oh, no... you might have to think ahead * gasp shock horror * that doesn't mean that leveling a class is hard just because YOU didn't happen to look ahead and find out how to make a build and do planning. Hell, it's a billion times easier now that we have irowiki, try starting out when all the info we had on the game was class descriptions and really poorly set up pages of skill descriptions that where MOSTLY right on the RO home page, no databases for items / weapons / monsters. Not even any forums, except ROEmpire which came later.

A new player would never spend the time to do any of that. You have to do a quest, to complete another quest. It doesn't even say how to make grape juice. Chonchons drop Iron .51% of the time, you would have to kill 4000 chonchons to get 20 irons. 4000. Or a new player would have to beg for the items to complete a quest to get a skill they need 5 levels before job changing. Until 38/35 a merchant has no viable attack skills. Every single class has at the very least support skills by level 15/10. You have not raised a single good argument for a new player to start with a merchant.

You're not even in the same argument. A new player should NEVER have a merchant as their first character. They have no viable skills until 38/35, and even then getting the ONE skill is a gigantic hassle, while every single other class gets a handful of viable skills with simple skill points.

You are not even having the same argument

#28 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Since picard is overdone around here already:

Posted Image

If you can't be assed to do research and take a few minutes to do quests ( durr hurr you know those things you do in MMORPGs and RPGs in general) you shouldn't bother playing period. YOU have raised absolutely no points worth mentioning or even bothering to think about on why you shouldn't start a merchant.

As for coolnix, the only thing that comes close to the EXP /minute of a merchant in a caster is... well nothing. OH LOOK MONSTERS DS DS DS *sit and regen SP and watch the merchant run around killing 16 monsters to your 3* ... OR OH MONSTERS FIRBOOO * OW OW OW OW OW OW why is it attacking me... all I did was cast on it /wah*

#29 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

If you can't be assed to do research and take a few minutes to do quests ( durr hurr you know those things you do in MMORPGs and RPGs in general) you shouldn't bother playing period. YOU have raised absolutely no points worth mentioning or even bothering to think about on why you shouldn't start a merchant.

As for coolnix, the only thing that comes close to the EXP /minute of a merchant in a caster is... well nothing. OH LOOK MONSTERS DS DS DS *sit and regen SP and watch the merchant run around killing 16 monsters to your 3* ... OR OH MONSTERS FIRBOOO * OW OW OW OW OW OW why is it attacking me... all I did was cast on it /wah*

ur funny. I'll give u that.

But u dont make sense with ur point. You should try ctrl+click sometime with archers. And if u get hit by a monster, archers are not for you. Keeping distance is an art :-)

#30 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Posted Image

I have made several great points, and instead of making any kind of counter argument you mock the person you can't beat in an argument.
No viable skills until 38/35 is more of argument for not starting a merchant then any argument against any other class. If you think a merchant outpaces a mage at dps you've obviously are terrible at this game. "You do a little research"<that's what you said, and you can match up elemental weaknesses against your bolts and zip to job change. If you only kill 3 monsters before sp regen that means you're using a bolt that monsters are resistant to, and any half brain person who plays MMOs can deduce that through simple testing.

Since you've condescended to post stupid photos and mock someone you're losing an argument to, instead of actually making any valid points, I walk away from this thread knowing stupid people can't be reasoned with.

#31 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Merchants are easy peasy to level.

Guess I gotta explain why since we have some special people in forums.

1) Very straight forward skill set and stat needs.
2) All you need is an eden mace or axe and pots to level
3) You can make money from overcharging all the small random drops.
4) Nice HP mod and can wear a variety of equips.

You can't go wrong with a low level merchant for your first character even it's just to overcharge
and discount things.

#32 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

You can't go wrong with a low level merchant for your first character even it's just to overcharge
and discount things.

never took u for an arrogant person. If u really fail to understand wat we've been explaining since long, keep reading posts until u do so.

And if u dont understand even after that, take some advice from good players.

And if u still dont understand, its time U turn back to CONTRA.

#33 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

like i said, you are just hopelessly in love with merchant class.
And truthfully, i've been playing this game since it launched(on and off though). Everytime i come back, i start with a new account. And my first character is NEVER a Merchant.

Its just plain and simple. Ctrl+click will never match Bolts, DS, AS, Double Atk, Bash etc.

I agree with the main thrust of this but I have to also add that a Merchant may not be my MAIN first char but just may be the first char I make just to get Discount for cheaper Fly/B Wings and various speed pots and perhaps equipment if I am not using Eden gear. For instance Survivor's Rod for Mages is just as good as Eden Staffs since it can be upgraded and can be used at level 24 (first eden weapon u can only get ounce level 26).

So yes as a MAIN char Merchants are bad first characters, but for leveling upto around level 30 then using as DC/OC and Vend slave is VERY VERY NEEDED.

#34 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

I agree with the main thrust of this but I have to also add that a Merchant may not be my MAIN first char but just may be the first char I make just to get Discount for cheaper Fly/B Wings and various speed pots and perhaps equipment if I am not using Eden gear. For instance Survivor's Rod for Mages is just as good as Eden Staffs since it can be upgraded and can be used at level 24 (first eden weapon u can only get ounce level 26).

So yes as a MAIN char Merchants are bad first characters, but for leveling upto around level 30 then using as DC/OC and Vend slave is VERY VERY NEEDED.

i agree. And i dont underrate merchant class. Hell even i have 6. At last we all need zeny

#35 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

I have made several great points, and instead of making any kind of counter argument you mock the person you can't beat in an argument.
No viable skills until 38/35 is more of argument for not starting a merchant then any argument against any other class. If you think a merchant outpaces a mage at dps you've obviously are terrible at this game. "You do a little research"<that's what you said, and you can match up elemental weaknesses against your bolts and zip to job change. If you only kill 3 monsters before sp regen that means you're using a bolt that monsters are resistant to, and any half brain person who plays MMOs can deduce that through simple testing.

Since you've condescended to post stupid photos and mock someone you're losing an argument to, instead of actually making any valid points, I walk away from this thread knowing stupid people can't be reasoned with.

I've countered your points several times over.

BTW, do you really have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader? DS is an ARCHER skill.
Mages don't always kill with one bolt, especially after renewal. Not to mention oops, I want to level on this WIND element monster, nope can't do that as a mage :thumb:, ohh I want to level on these undead things.... aww I don't know how to V fire wall.... ohh this place is nice and semi mobby... oh wait I don't have a phen...

and discount things.

Exactly! But they are fun to play and easy enough to level with even crap gears that it could just get to be your main anyways :P

Not really, they are a nice versatile class that is relatively cheap to get into and easy to learn to play. Plus being able to haul around tons and tons of supplies make them so much easier to level since you don't have to stop all the time to go get pots / arrows / awakes or con pots or bother to switch over and DC a ton of pots to storage and then switch back to another class.

#36 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

You don't have any reading comprehension, I never mentioned Double Strafe EVER. Thieves have Double Strike. You have clearly shown you don't read others' posts.

#37 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

It's double STRAFE you moron. Thieves have double ATTACK.

Do everyone a favor and stop posting on stuff you quite obviously have no idea on... so pretty much don't post anymore.

#38 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

It's double STRAFE you moron. Thieves have double ATTACK.

Do everyone a favor and stop posting on stuff you quite obviously have no idea on... so pretty much don't post anymore.

I said double strafe you savage retard

#39 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

What the crap is all this!?!?!, knock it off all of you. :thumb:

#40 coolnix

coolnix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

@meoryou2
mocking someone, doesn't make ur point. if u really want others to agree to ur point of view, u'll have to discuss like the senior player u r.

#41 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

@meoryou2
mocking someone, doesn't make ur point. if u really want others to agree to ur point of view, u'll have to discuss like the senior player u r.

No,well, unfortunately you can only explain things in so many ways. Unfortunately some people just won't understand unless you hammer it into their skulls. People like the idiot 2 posts above you that can't comprehend anything, don't even play the game anymore and by inference of their posts probably sucked at the game to begin with because they either won't or can't stand to listen to people with years more experience. I don't care if ironplushy agrees with me, just so long as he / she / it does not poison new players ability to do well in the game by giving bad advice. He / she / it is not qualified to give ANY sort of advice from what I have seen in any posts up to date.

#42 Rozelle

Rozelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Uhh... as to the original question:
Most people will argue about what class is the best to start with, because I guess everyone has a different experience. For me personally the best have always been thieves and archers -- and they become pretty powerful second jobs (and so on) as well.

Welcome to RO! c:

Edited by Rozelle, 05 January 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#43 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

No,well, unfortunately you can only explain things in so many ways. Unfortunately some people just won't understand unless you hammer it into their skulls. People like the idiot 2 posts above you that can't comprehend anything, don't even play the game anymore and by inference of their posts probably sucked at the game to begin with because they either won't or can't stand to listen to people with years more experience. I don't care if ironplushy agrees with me, just so long as he / she / it does not poison new players ability to do well in the game by giving bad advice. He / she / it is not qualified to give ANY sort of advice from what I have seen in any posts up to date.

No one agrees with you. It's like YOU don't have experience with other classes. Everyone will say swordy thief as their first class, never merchant. Just because you played longer doesn't make you infallible, you are essentially a retard who thinks he knows everything because he's been in high school for 8 years

Edited by IronPlushy, 05 January 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#44 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Jeez guys, the person who made this thread probably didn't read it for ages (since a/ its been moved and b/ it's not helpful, c/ they didn't post again)

Instead of telling what is a bad idea and what not do do, why not just lay out all the good ideas, rather than flaming the bad ones? I wouldn't bother reading this thread either if I was new!

Nothing wrong with a thief or a merch btw. Theives don't even have an AoE, so umm.... don't they both level the same without cart revo anyway? :wave:

#45 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

No one agrees with you. It's like YOU don't have experience with other classes. Everyone will say swordy thief as their first class, never merchant. Just because you played longer doesn't make you infallible, you are essentially a retard who thinks he knows everything because he's been in high school for 8 years

Am I speaking a foreign language here? What part of "NO" do you two not understand, this is the second time this thread has been reported and you ignored my warning...if it has to move to another one past this there is going to be some suspensions happening, I would expect this in the community chatter forum but here people are asking for help, not to see two people bicker or belittle one another over who is right or wrong. Knock it off.

#46 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Am I speaking a foreign language here? What part of "NO" do you two not understand, this is the second time this thread has been reported and you ignored my warning...if it has to move to another one past this there is going to be some suspensions happening, I would expect this in the community chatter forum but here people are asking for help, not to see two people bicker or belittle one another over who is right or wrong. Knock it off.

GO for it. I did NOTHING against the forum rules. Calling someone either a moron or an idiot is not against the forum rules - especially after being baited, besides which both Heimdallr and Oda have been much, much more rude with less provocation. Besides, have you even READ the thread? Or any of the other post by the users? I think you will find that my posts are less intentionally inflammatory both across the boards and in this thread until after nearly 2 pages of niceness can't make a point to someone who is intentionally not understanding not only my posts but more than a few disagreeing with them and agreeing with me.

Heres the smart thing to do. You don't like the whiner whining ( probably a sock puppet account hmm? ) then lock the thread. Problem solved.

#47 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Heaven help anyone who tells someone they're wrong on this forum

Topic beyond saving :wave:

#48 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

GO for it. I did NOTHING against the forum rules. Calling someone either a moron or an idiot is not against the forum rules - especially after being baited, besides which both Heimdallr and Oda have been much, much more rude with less provocation. Besides, have you even READ the thread? Or any of the other post by the users? I think you will find that my posts are less intentionally inflammatory both across the boards and in this thread until after nearly 2 pages of niceness can't make a point to someone who is intentionally not understanding not only my posts but more than a few disagreeing with them and agreeing with me.

Heres the smart thing to do. You don't like the whiner whining ( probably a sock puppet account hmm? ) then lock the thread. Problem solved.

You see that little button called "Report", use it, don't retaliate, let someone who carries a bigger stick take care of it. Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users