New to iRO, need some tips - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

New to iRO, need some tips

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dredogol

Dredogol

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

Hey guys, I haven't played iRO since the BETA, and only played a few private servers before the transcended jobs came out (long long ago)...

I know there are 3 servers:
Ymir = old chaos/loki/isis servers
Valkyrie = original F2P server back in the day
Yggdrasil = ... new server???

Q1) If I'm starting out completely fresh, which server should I be playing on?

Q2) Is Ymir only open to VIP players?

Q3) Is the game still P2P for the Ymir server, or are all servers F2P with special items for purchase (Kafra store)?

Q4) I heard that Valkyrie is infested with bots, and roughly 400-600 players logged are just vending... so roughly how many REAL players do you think is playing the server at any one time?

Q5) I heard that Sakray was shut down, and is now only a temporary test server that gets constantly wiped, is this true?

Q6) Are non-VIP players (never pay) able to gain 3-1 jobs?

Q7) What are the EXP rates on all 3 servers?

Q8) I read somewhere that VIP have 3x rates and non are 1x... is this correct?

Q9) I know the Alchemist is useful for making potions & homonculus, but is the Blacksmith useful at all?
I never played, so I'm not sure, but the basic forging of items seems... pointless with the current uber items in game.

Q10) I always started a game with a merchant for OC/DC/Vend... which 2nd character should I make for EASY solo (gear/card finding)... Sin-X / High-Wizard / High-Priest / Sniper ?

For those on the Yggdrasil server...
How active is that server, and roughly how many are vending?
The pop. seems to be 1/4 of what Valkyrie is...
Also, when did that server come online?

Other points...
Anything else I should know about the iRO servers?
I know there are no @ commands, skill/stat resets, or any of those goodies that private servers have.

Lastly, are there any noob friendly guilds on any of the servers?
If so, could you name a few so that I may join?

Thanks.

Edited by Dredogol, 06 February 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

1. It's your own choice. Ymir if you want few to no bots on the server but want to compete with people that have been around forever and have craptons of God Items. Valk if you don't mind tons and tons of bots, and Ygg if you don't mind tons of bots and not a whole lot of players.

2. No, but you do need to be VIP to create your first character. After that you can let it run out.

3. All are F2P, but you can get VIP and the Kafra Shop is still available.

4. 500-600 or so, maybe? I dunno. =/

5. Uhh, it is for testing purposes, I dunno about wipes and all that, I rarely use it.

6. Yes, you just need one reset stone, and you can buy those with Zeny for a couple mil.

7. Normal x1. VIP gets x1.5.

8. No, x1.5.

9. Forging is pretty outdated, yes.

10. Agi Knights and Rogues / Sins are usually the easiest to start out with, but really it's your decision. =P Anything will work... Well, except maybe a Priest.

#3 Thexare

Thexare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLaying on the ground somewhere

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Yes, but it needs a Reset Stone. The easiest way to get them is buying them, but you can get them either from other players or through an item turn-in in the Eden Group HQ.

Normal 1x, see next Q.

No it's not. VIP rates are 1.5x.

Other points...
I know there are no @ commands, skill/stat resets, or any of those goodies that private servers have.

Actually, from what I hear there is a one-time-per-character resetter in Eden. I haven't looked into the details though.

(edit: don't mind the odd underlining, something in the editor broke... everything...)

Edited by Thexare, 06 February 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#4 AimeeZ

AimeeZ

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

maybe he got confused. vip death penalty is 1% and nonvip death penalty is 3% (i think)
that may be where you're getting the 1x, 3x numbers from

kafra girls are nicer to vip players also (charged zeny amount, kafra storage, warps to towns)

Edited by AimeeZ, 06 February 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#5 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

when you pay for VIP you are allowed to create chars on Ymir, Once Created, you don't need VIP to PLAY on chars you have on Ymir.. only to create them.. same goes for charter slots 4-9, you create them when you have VIP, then you get to play them whether your VIP or not

Q4) I heard that Valkyrie is infested with bots, and roughly 400-600 players logged are just vending... so roughly how many REAL players do you think is playing the server at any one time?
Valkyrie is the most populated, All servers have bots, More population = more bots

yes

1x/1x/1x
vip = 1.5 exp/drops

no

Q9) I know the Alchemist is useful for making potions & homonculus, but is the Blacksmith useful at all?
I never played, so I'm not sure, but the basic forging of items seems... pointless with the current uber items in game.
if you have a Genetic Friend to convert some Tsurugi[1]'s into Steel Blacksmiths can be really usefull, but in general its just a more combat version of Alchemist that gets to ride a Robot

Q10) I always started a game with a merchant for OC/DC/Vend... which 2nd character should I make for EASY solo (gear/card finding)... Sin-X / High-Wizard / High-Priest / Sniper ?
you don't want to start with a merchant...
getting a merchant to lvl 20 or so with max DC/OC/ and some points in vend is all you really need
plus leveling that merchant will be easier with some gear from the other chars

***its cozy

Other points...
****you get 1 free skill/stat reset via the Hypnotist in Eden ONLY ONCE so dont waste it.
asside from that you can purchase Neutralizers 400kp to reset skills, and Reset stones (# varries by what lvl you are) to reset your stats (purchasable via eden badges or 100kp)

#6 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

"Q1) If I'm starting out completely fresh, which server should I be playing on?"

I recommend Ymir as the $7 barrier to entry keeps the gold farmers out, creating an economy where a new player can actually earn zeny without KP.

"Q2) Is Ymir only open to VIP players?"

You need VIP to create a character, but not to play one. You can figure out what classes you're going to pay, fill your account with placeholder novices, and you're good to go for a one-time fee. You *do* have to pay once, however.

"Q3) Is the game still P2P for the Ymir server, or are all servers F2P with special items for purchase (Kafra store)?"

They're all basically the same, Ymir just has the mandatory one-time fee to keep the bots out.

"Q4) I heard that Valkyrie is infested with bots, and roughly 400-600 players logged are just vending... so roughly how many REAL players do you think is playing the server at any one time?"

Bots, Venders, and people playing multiple characters (this is allowed as long as you're actively controlling them all) all skew the numbers. If I had to guess, 30-40% of the login number on Valk is the true number, and 80% or so of Ymir (no bots, but still lots of people AFK vending of course). If you want to see how many venders are on, check Ragial.com, which is an automatic market-tracking site that lists all active player shops. (It'll be *slightly* off as it it takes 2-3 min to do a sweep, but this won't throw the numbers off by enough to care.)

"Q5) I heard that Sakray was shut down, and is now only a temporary test server that gets constantly wiped, is this true?"

Yep. Sakray was always supposed to be the test server, it just got stuck in a "it's been up so long they don't want to wipe it" state.

"Q6) Are non-VIP players (never pay) able to gain 3-1 jobs?"

Yes, but you have to use an item called a reset stone. This can either be purchased for a buck, or earned through quest tokens from the daily turn-in quests. IIRC, it's 8 tokens, and you get 2 per day per character from TI quests, so you should easily earn a stone by the time you need one. You can also of course just buy one with zeny off of someone who has extra tokens and is willing to make that trade. Whichever method you choose, it's really no big deal.

"Q7) What are the EXP rates on all 3 servers?"

Normal usually, with x2 events decently often.

"Q8) I read somewhere that VIP have 3x rates and non are 1x... is this correct?"

Short answer: No, VIP is 1.5x, but they also get better quest xp.
Long answer: There are 2 daily TI quests for your level range, and VIPs are also allowed to pick up both of them at the same time, while non-VIP are not. When people say VIP is 3x, they mean they're doing a double turn in with the 1.5x, effectively getting triple the xp per quest run. If you level exclusively on turn-in quests, this does essentially become 3x. TIs ARE a very major part of leveling, so while I wouldn't say VIP is 3x, it's definitely effectively higher than 1.5. Exactly where in between those 2 depends on how you prefer to level.

"Q9) I know the Alchemist is useful for making potions & homonculus, but is the Blacksmith useful at all?
I never played, so I'm not sure, but the basic forging of items seems... pointless with the current uber items in game."

Basic elemental weapons still have value, but there's definitely a MUCH larger market for pots. If you're only making one crafter, definitely go Alcy.

"Q10) I always started a game with a merchant for OC/DC/Vend... which 2nd character should I make for EASY solo (gear/card finding)... Sin-X / High-Wizard / High-Priest / Sniper ?]"

Out of the ones you listed, I'd suggest Sniper... Camouflage and Arrow Storm can take out packs of monsters with little fear of retaliation.

"Other points...
Anything else I should know about the iRO servers?"

Valk
-Largest population (but by a MUCH smaller factor than the login server suggests... 2/3 or more of their populace is bots)
-Highest rate of griefing (10 year olds that can't afford a credit card are here and not elsewhere).
-Medium age

Ymir
-Lots of very long-time vets... you probably know people from beta on here.
-All of the good and bad that comes with that (Experienced players eager to help newbies... but also the elitist ultra-competitive types, a market with plenty of opportunity for newbies to sell supplies to vets... but also a market where many types of gear have been farmed to death and de-valued as a result. Etc.)
-Most people that buy VIP once are willing to keep doing it, and most of the original p2p people are here, so it has the atmosphere of a p2p server even though it isn't one.

Ygg
-This was mainly aimed at people wanting a fresh start when Renewal was expected to greatly increase our playerbase (...rather than lower it)
-This gives it properties of both Valk and Ymir... both good and bad.
-Because there are bots here too, their true population is VERY low. If you're looking for large-scale play, you may have trouble finding it here.
-On the other hand, if you're looking to hold a castle with a group of 4 friends, this may be the server for you.

If in doubt, try them all. Everyone is of course going to say the one they stuck with is the best (Ymir in my case), but as what we look for in a server varies, there isn't a universal best. I like Ymir's friendly, skilled party players, I like being on a server that isn't run by bots, and I almost never WoE, so the elitists I just plain ignore.

"I know there are no @ commands, skill/stat resets, or any of those goodies that private servers have."
That's changed actually. Everyone gets a single free full reset, which an additional one offered when things are majorly changed. Those reset stones I mentioned can also be used in larger quantity to buy a stat reset (hence the name), and skill resets can be done with a $4 cash item (which you can also just buy from other players). The basic idea is to make it difficult enough to do that people won't discard their build just for one castle siege, but people intending to make a permanent change can.

"Lastly, are there any noob friendly guilds on any of the servers?"
If so, could you name a few so that I may join?[/quote]

I'd normally point you to mine, but we're mostly inactive atm (at least in RO, we play a bunch of other games). I suggest reading through the recruiting forum, as most are quite upfront as to whether they like newbies or not.

Note: Your questions are in normal quotes instead of quote blocked because there's apparently a limit on how many quote blocks are allowed.

Edited by Mwrip, 06 February 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#7 TheLastExile

TheLastExile

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

1. It's your own choice. Ymir if you want few to no bots on the server but want to compete with people that have been around forever and have craptons of God Items. Valk if you don't mind tons and tons of bots, and Ygg if you don't mind tons of bots and not a whole lot of players.

LOL o rly? We have one bot, I named him Chuckles, he sits in Prontera shouting at no one because everyone has him muted, good to know you feel you can talk :( about our server with out actually being here :) that's the sign of a TRUE pro :l

FYI, We have about the same number of players as Ymir, its a sociable and fun server with plenty of Active HAPPY (seeing as Ymir's full of pros, nothing wrong with that, and Valk is full of angry 12 yr old "Feminine sanitary products that one would use on a hot summers eve, and the bag it comes in" gamers*), were WoE Rivalries are kept separate from main game play. Because in Ygg, "we believe ALL WoE and PvP should stay were they belong and PvM is left as a clean slate" - Cerulean Gamer AKA Creza.

But, cool story, Bro :p_err:

#8 Ryleigh

Ryleigh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

Yeah, this kind of stuck out at me. Maybe a few months ago, but I've hardly seen any bots at all lately. And the player base is about the same as Ymir, so.

lol idk ¯\(°_o)/¯

#9 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

ymir is pretty cozy... when you meet people in dungeons, the will almost always help you out... that's how i found my buddies :(

and generally, the GM team has been very active against bots...

#10 NoyoLim

NoyoLim

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

How do you become a VIP and from hearing people complain about their VIP status being down, it seems that you have to pay monthly? How much do you have to pay?

#11 ChrisWintermoon

ChrisWintermoon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir (VIP)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

Its 7 USD per Month.

People are complaining about there ,,VIP status being down" cause lately we are dealing with some DDOS Attacks wich causes the LogIN Server to crash and therefore the game not realising anymore wether or not you are an VIP.
This leads to several problems such as losing the VIP Benefits (More EXP) or your choice to Turn In Base or Job EXP and many other stuff WITHOUT you getting to know it before its to late^^Plus the server is really really instabil lately.

If I can give you an advice, dont join iRO at this moment cause it will only frustrate you and make you want to quit again.
Wait 2 weeks and try it then (Hopefully the problems will be gone till then!).

If you really want deal with all the current problems you are free to join Valkyrie and try stuff out - however paying for VIP is not advisable currently

#12 Dredogol

Dredogol

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! :)

If you want to see how many venders are on, check Ragial.com, which is an automatic market-tracking site that lists all active player shops. (It'll be *slightly* off as it it takes 2-3 min to do a sweep, but this won't throw the numbers off by enough to care.)

WOW, I just browsed that site, and it completely makes my old "Check every shop and compare the prices on paper" setup! :(
Does this system only work for inside Prontera city?

Where are the other vendors at?
I know there are some at Payon (mainly strawberry buying), but are there any in Geffen/Aldebaran/etc?
I know there are some at the Eden.

Next, what type of Arrows do archers/hunters/rogues/ etc use mostly?
I want to keep the "arrow craft" items so I can make them on future hunter/sniper chars.

Lastly, how on earth do you MUTE players from global chat (spam bots)?
I know how to mute from whispers...

Edited by Dredogol, 06 February 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#13 razirazo

razirazo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

This argument will never end i tell u.

#14 Dmentd

Dmentd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn over my head

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Does this system only work for inside Prontera city?
I know there are some at Payon (mainly strawberry buying), but are there any in Geffen/Aldebaran/etc?

Ragial, AFAIK, only shows shops that are in Prontera, and, more recently, in Eden Group. The thing about having a timely site like Ragial is that it sort of kills setting up shops anywhere else. Not really too much, because since fairly early days of RO, if you want to sell or buy something, you go to Prontera, period. Ragial just strongly reinforces this trend.
On another subject entirely...Dally Quen occasionally gives reset stones for free. If you're just starting out, and you talk to Dally Quen daily, I bet you'll get a reset stone by the time you need one.
Muting whispers works for spammers as well.

Edited by Dmentd, 06 February 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#15 Arcturus7

Arcturus7

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

If you do decide to play on ygg (not as many bots as everyone says - and quite a lot of real players I'd say), you are very welcome to join our guild Aeon - we're very newbie friendly and we don't woe (yet).
There's a few of us that are active pretty much every day and we are very helpful - I have nothing to do at the moment so all I'm doing is helping people : )

I want to keep the "arrow craft" items so I can make them on future hunter/sniper chars.

Lastly, how on earth do you MUTE players from global chat (spam bots)?

On ygg vendors are pretty much just in eden and prontera, with a couple in payon too like you said.

Not really sure about arrows but for usual levelling spots you can't go wrong with fire arrow against groves,clocks and dark priests etc - and then ice arrows (whatever theyre called) for magmarings - wind for siroma's

I think if you mute someone's whispers it mutes them in normal chat as well.

/no1

Edited by Arcturus7, 06 February 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#16 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

for Rangers/Wander/Maestro

http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/1746/

http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/1773/

Not sure what other classes use but for Ranger/Dancer classes Elven bow+Arrows is pretty much all the rage now, if you have more questions ask away

Edited by Cubical, 06 February 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#17 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

As for Arrows: Crystal, Stone, and Steel. Once you third class, it's Elven, obviously, but you have to get there somehow. You can just buy fire arrows.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Arrow_Crafting

Edited by Sera, 06 February 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#18 Bestie

Bestie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys, I haven't played iRO since the BETA, and only played a few private servers before the transcended jobs came out (long long ago)...

I know there are 3 servers:
Ymir = old chaos/loki/isis servers
Valkyrie = original F2P server back in the day
Yggdrasil = ... new server???

Q3) Is the game still P2P for the Ymir server, or are all servers F2P with special items for purchase (Kafra store)?

Q5) I heard that Sakray was shut down, and is now only a temporary test server that gets constantly wiped, is this true?

The pop. seems to be 1/4 of what Valkyrie is...
Also, when did that server come online?

Other points...

Lastly, are there any noob friendly guilds on any of the servers?
If so, could you name a few so that I may join?

Thanks.

1. There is no wrong answer in my opinion. Ymir has largely veteran players, but friendly community imo. They have been around along time, but I guess the market is different due to this ^_^
2. You have to be VIP at least one month in order to create characters on Ymir. Once you do , you can play them when VIP runs out. If thats what you wanted xD
4. Plenty of real people ^_^ you know a bot when you see one...they often do this conga line thing lol.
6. yea you can get 3rd job as vip. is slower for you, but I help noobies and friends who are not vip all the time. takes them about a week to 2 week to reach it..depending on their play hours.

other questions..hmm.. oh blacksmith :( i have one but she is not forger so I am always bothering my friends. to make me stuff like steel and various elemental wpns or something.
Easy to solo chars for noobies..... this is widely opinionated im sure, but I think rogues and swordie types are good. if you didnt mean to solo all the time priests are great. everyone needs a priest inthe party :)

Lastly I am on Ymir and my guild is for those that cannot woe, and/or noobies, and/or socialization. Its called My Pleasure ( modeled after Hideki's workplace in CHobits ) Look me up under either Sugar Peanut or MEW=^o^= or
+ Lina Inverse + Ill be glad to show you around, guide you, and get you started ^_^ And as for when you DO wanna WoE hit us up at Clandestine Society ^_^ We rock !

Edited by Bestie, 06 February 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#19 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

LOL o rly? We have one bot, I named him Chuckles, he sits in Prontera shouting at no one because everyone has him muted, good to know you feel you can talk :( about our server with out actually being here :) that's the sign of a TRUE pro :l

FYI, We have about the same number of players as Ymir, its a sociable and fun server with plenty of Active HAPPY (seeing as Ymir's full of pros, nothing wrong with that, and Valk is full of angry 12 yr old "Feminine sanitary products that one would use on a hot summers eve, and the bag it comes in" gamers*), were WoE Rivalries are kept separate from main game play. Because in Ygg, "we believe ALL WoE and PvP should stay were they belong and PvM is left as a clean slate" - Cerulean Gamer AKA Creza.

But, cool story, Bro :p_err:

I have played on Ygg, though the last time I logged in there was about a month ago, so perhaps things have cleared up.

I also have to point out that I find it highly ironic you try to call me out on something and then turn around and do the same thing, though. Not sure what you mean by angry players, though... 3/4 of the people raging on these forums are from Ymir and Ygg.

Anyhow, the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I apologize if you don't agree with it.

Edited by Ralis, 06 February 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#20 Dredogol

Dredogol

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Seems like I'll stay on the Valkyrie server then, thanks guys.

Oh, I was wondering what the success rates are for refining are... still the default for Lv1-4 like on the wiki, or no safety protection at all on the Valkyrie server?

#21 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Valk had alot of restrictions before with upgrading and such but atm it believe with all forms of upgrading its the same formula no matter what server your on. And no we dont know what calculations are used, however enriched hammer will most likely get your stuff +9 if your item is +7 or higher. Then theres also Upgrade Cert.

heres a chart with all the comparisons

http://irowiki.org/w...vers_Comparison

take your time and read it carefully its alot to take in, ask questions if you got them

Edited by Cubical, 06 February 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#22 Dredogol

Dredogol

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Then theres also Upgrade Cert[/url].

heres a chart with all the comparisons
http://irowiki.org/w...vers_Comparison

What... it costs money to rebirth without VIP... lame. =_=
The other stuff I can handle...

Also, how do the upgrade certs work? I'm completely new to these.
I used to use the town blacksmith (not my black/whitesmith char) to do upgrades.
Do you double-click the cert, then choose what you want to upgrade or something?

EDIT
Forgot to ask... when is the server maintenance?

Edited by Dredogol, 06 February 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#23 Dredogol

Dredogol

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Also, what was the party lv difference in iRO?
Was it 10 or something?

I'm used to 30 on private servers...

#24 Dmentd

Dmentd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn over my head

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Also, what was the party lv difference in iRO?
Was it 10 or something?

I'm used to 30 on private servers...

15 levels, plus or minus
Maint is...tonight.

Edited by Dmentd, 07 February 2012 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users