What happened to Umbala Dungeon? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

What happened to Umbala Dungeon?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sackof

Sackof

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Today i decided to go hunt the items (LOGS) for the Moscovia and i have not been to umbala in a lonnnnggg time but where did the umbala dungeon go? it used to haev alot of stoen shooters that droped logs, did renewal kill the maps? http://db.irowiki.or...-info/um_dun01/ Hunting logs is a little more difficult now that those maps are gone. What reason to get rid of them?

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Umbala dungeon was removed because NOBODY WENT THERE (for reasons that might be related to the fact that the monsters had an unfavorable difficulty to hp ratio and a crappy spawn) except on the way to niff - it was just an obstacle! They removed a few other useless crappy maps too.

The monsters that used to be there can be found (in unfortunately small numbers) on the umbala fields. kRO got an update to increase the spawn of whatever drops logs (I thought it was the golems) to address the difficulty of getting logs nowadays. I don't know if iRO has that update.

#3 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yup, renewal made the entire dungeon go poof :P

#4 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Umbala dungeon was removed because NOBODY WENT THERE (for reasons that might be related to the fact that the monsters had an unfavorable difficulty to hp ratio and a crappy spawn) except on the way to niff - it was just an obstacle! They removed a few other useless crappy maps too.

By that logic kRO should go ahead and remove about +60% of the maps and dungeons in RO. The main problem was that the whole thing was just poorly designed: StyleA (earthy) map->Plant Farming map->StyleB (land of the dead) map = worst dungeon ever.

West Orcs wasn't a useless crappy map either. The new home for Orc Hero is far worse.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

West Orcs wasn't a useless crappy map either.

It kinda was, the spawn was really low for the (huge) size of the map.

#6 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I leveled there effectively for years on lower leveled characters (base 40 to job 50 first class chars) without a problem with spawn rates. I also think they increased the spawn for the VIP west orc map, but unfortunately, high orcs are no longer a good monster to level on now that TIs cover that map's level range.

#7 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

It didn't "poof" exactly. I have a character stuck on that map (no great loss, just a Gunslinger)... It's empty now with no portals out.

#8 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

it had cool music i can tell... oh well :P

#9 Thexare

Thexare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLaying on the ground somewhere
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

So, wait a sec. How do you get to Niflheim now? The wiki still says to go through Umbala Dungeon...

#10 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

So, wait a sec. How do you get to Niflheim now? The wiki still says to go through Umbala Dungeon...

You can either Bungi jump, or you go through the same way as before. The difference is that there is no "tree" dungeon, it's just the roots where the plants are.

#11 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

The thing that always gets me is how they were going around removing "useless" maps, but then gave us 4 Novus maps...

#12 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't understand why they were ever deleted in the first place. No map was useless, they all had monsters and MVPs on quite a few of the ones that got deleted. There was aesthetic value to a lot of them as well. =/ Seems like a lot of work to just flush down the drain.

And now we actually have maps with no monsters that are just... There.

#13 Skotios

Skotios

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

I leveled there effectively for years on lower leveled characters (base 40 to job 50 first class chars) without a problem with spawn rates. I also think they increased the spawn for the VIP west orc map, but unfortunately, high orcs are no longer a good monster to level on now that TIs cover that map's level range.

Eh this all depends on a person's perspective of effective.

#14 Yomihime

Yomihime

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWandering aimlessly in Ragnarok universe
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

The dungeon was removed. If u go to north of umbala (Is this dungeon located at north? I forgot) u will end up in ygg trunk and if u go further u will end up in nifflheim field. If u want to go back just use bwing or if u don't have any, talk to Kirkena in witch castle in Nifflheim and she will send u back to Umbala (must completed Piano Key quest first!).

#15 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Eh this all depends on a person's perspective of effective.

Effective as in, before mercs were introduced, I could power level through that level range in a few of hours at most if I went all out, or I could take a more leisurely approach and enjoy myself and still not feel that the grind was tedious. Being an active member in WoE on different classes meant I had a lot of demi-human gear which leant itself naturally to fighting HOs.

#16 mintypudding

mintypudding

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1306 posts
  • Server:Your Mom

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

The dungeon was super annoying, but the BGM was awesome. The High Orc map had really pretty music, too... :blink: They should at least use the BGMs for other maps.

#17 Sackof

Sackof

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

thanks for the reasoning i guess it make sense for people who walk to niff. I personally liked that dungeon too, I wonder if the GMs can increase the spawn of the log dropping monsters i'd like to finally make my hanhoe mask too /fsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users