Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Based on the feedback of a lot of forum users, it seems like now is as good a time as any to start thinking about sprucing up the forums. There are a lot of redundant sections and subforums buried under too many layers. This thread is the one that I've been looking at for suggestions from the community: http://forums.warppo...amp-discussion/

I think there are some very good points being made about how things should be organized, and a lot of people thinking along similar lines. From reading the thread, I would be planning a revamp to be arranged like this:

Community chat (subforum past update notices)
New Player/Help/Advice (AI Scripting subforum)
Creative Contraptions
Tech Support/Bugs
Acolyte
Archer
Mage
Merchant
Swordie
Thief
Expanded
Market
Guild Recruiting/Party Recruiting (Sub forum for each server)
Proposals and suggestion (Fungineer subforum)

I like the idea of putting recruiting a little further down as people would not usually wander into them unless they had a reason to. I also do like the idea of having class forums in a more visible position too. I'm open to hearing more suggestions and will probably have to talk with the other CMs as the RO section would be over double it's current height but I definitely want to get a revamp done early this year.

#2 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

bug reporting section, feedback report section, and suggestions sections?? i know they are here somewhere... but simply putting them in a more visible and better order would actually do :unsure: yes there are redundant ones though....

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Subforum the market per server and that look good to me :unsure:

#4 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Putting more emphasis on an open suggestions forum would be great. One that isn't tucked away so that no one (even Gravity staff) bothers to venture into them.

We need something more visible so we can move a lot of the "Hey, make us thing" or "Calling all artists" sticky threads out of the main Creative section. It looks sloppy and, technically, they should be in some sort of proposal area anyway, right?

Edited by Kitten, 11 February 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#5 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Know what, whats the use of some god forsaken suggestions subforum if its just people having useless class comparisons and the rest wondering what feedback you even want.

Like, seriously, do you mean just random suggestions section, not particularly class imbalance focused?

Tell us if there is any contact regarding this with kro, and if they even feel like balance is quite some big changes away. So the people that are left can go play that stupid LoL game like everyone else.

Edited by Charon, 11 February 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#6 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Will the renovation have less sticky threads?

#7 iZola

iZola

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

We want downrep back. >;(

#8 Pitt007

Pitt007

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

lmao oda be original that looks like irowiki

#9 Thexare

Thexare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLaying on the ground somewhere

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

lmao oda be original that looks like irowiki

Most good arrangements of forums will look largely identical. The more "original" you try to be, the more disorganized the result.

#10 Krogoth1282

Krogoth1282

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I look forward to this change. This will make nagivation through forum posts much easier. At least something good as come out through from the "unable to connects" that most of the users have been experiencing.

#11 shado

shado

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 401 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Based on the feedback of a lot of forum users, it seems like now is as good a time as any to start thinking about sprucing up the forums. There are a lot of redundant sections and subforums buried under too many layers. This thread is the one that I've been looking at for suggestions from the community: http://forums.warppo...amp-discussion/

I think there are some very good points being made about how things should be organized, and a lot of people thinking along similar lines. From reading the thread, I would be planning a revamp to be arranged like this:

Community chat (subforum past update notices)
New Player/Help/Advice (AI Scripting subforum)
Creative Contraptions
Tech Support/Bugs
Acolyte
Archer
Mage
Merchant
Swordie
Thief
Expanded
Market
Guild Recruiting/Party Recruiting (Sub forum for each server)
Proposals and suggestion (Fungineer subforum)

I like the idea of putting recruiting a little further down as people would not usually wander into them unless they had a reason to. I also do like the idea of having class forums in a more visible position too. I'm open to hearing more suggestions and will probably have to talk with the other CMs as the RO section would be over double it's current height but I definitely want to get a revamp done early this year.

Not sure why would would want a list that big.
Imo:
Community Chat
Market (subbed into server)
New player help
Class Forums (Subbed into the ones you listed)
Recruiting (subbed into server and then by guild/party)
Proposals (Though, this could be done away with altogether if you do not bother reading them.)
Tech Support

From 14 down to 7, and organized in a manner that makes more sense. Enjoy.

Edited by shado, 11 February 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

In order of importance (in my opinion):

Community Chat
  • Guild Hall (server subforums)
  • Party Search (server subforums)
  • Marketplace (server subforums)
Technical Support
  • Patch Updates (includes test content feedback, kRO updates, etc.)
  • Bug Reports
  • Proposals & Suggestions (Quality Assurance subforum)
  • AI Scripting and Pets
Game Discussions
  • New Players Orientation
  • Class Discussion (Acolyte, Archer, Mage, Merchant, Swordsman, Thief, Expanded subforums)
  • Quests
Creative Contraptions
  • Forum Event: Design a Card
  • Forum Event: Design a Mount
  • Forum Event: Design a Cart
Fun-gineers stuff is all redundant, adds clutter, and causes discontent in the already fractured playerbase by picking and choosing select players to take part in discussions everyone should have a say in. I personally don't see any practical purpose to keeping this section around.

I'm bouncing around the idea of removing the Quests section completely as most players will ask about quests in community chat anyhow and many threads in Quests involve glitches that would be better asked about in Technical support.

#13 zakame

zakame

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Most good arrangements of forums will look largely identical. The more "original" you try to be, the more disorganized the result.

If its "original", just have one forum site then: either this or irowiki's.

Anyways, here's a thought: I observe the 1st class forums being swamped with 3rd class/late game threads; I had difficulties on a few occasions where I'm trying to find starter builds/advice here in the forums and end up prematurely looking at mid/late game. Would it be possible to spin those off into sub-forums of the starting classes, for further organization?

#14 Freedom

Freedom

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1630 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

After all these fixes how about you you fix the viewing of the forums. When logged in it take a while viewing the community chat where everyone posts. When not logged in they load fine.

#15 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Can we have a new forum skin too? Something with a dark background?

#16 aquaria

aquaria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thumb up for this.

In order of importance (in my opinion):

Community Chat

• Guild Hall (server subforums)
  • Party Search (server subforums)
  • Marketplace (server subforums)
Technical Support
  • Patch Updates (includes test content feedback, kRO updates, etc.)
  • Bug Reports
  • Proposals & Suggestions (Quality Assurance subforum)
  • AI Scripting and Pets
Game Discussions
  • New Players Orientation
  • Class Discussion (Acolyte, Archer, Mage, Merchant, Swordsman, Thief, Expanded subforums)
  • Quests
Creative Contraptions
  • Forum Event: Design a Card
  • Forum Event: Design a Mount
  • Forum Event: Design a Cart
Fun-gineers stuff is all redundant, adds clutter, and causes discontent in the already fractured playerbase by picking and choosing select players to take part in discussions everyone should have a say in. I personally don't see any practical purpose to keeping this section around.

I'm bouncing around the idea of removing the Quests section completely as most players will ask about quests in community chat anyhow and many threads in Quests involve glitches that would be better asked about in Technical support.

#17 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well... if as you said, "most relevant areas first... then"

[Community Chat]
> New Player Support
> Technical Support
>> Patch Testing [example, the 14.1/Balance Patch could be here]
>> AI Testing
>> Bug Report.
[Class Discussion]
> One for each class.
[Socializing]
> Market Place
> Guild Hall
> Party Requests
> Creative Conceptions can be added here.

I have no idea of where the funginners discussion would be, though... As much as some people say it is not necessary, I believe it is, just for one reason. Discussions at the "community" area sometimes are filled with a lot of unecessary "qq"ing, that blows up most of the discussions up, and they can't really become "serious".

By the way the way to reorganize the funginner area should be made internally... But yeah, we don't need a standout big area like it is now. It can be a child of one of the other main forums.

Edited by asayuu, 12 February 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#18 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

So you can post in pink again?

I like the light skin tho, it's not as hard on the eyes as the dark one was.

#19 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I like ZT's setup - logical categories, minimal total forum count, and nothing goes more than 2 levels deep except the guild/party/market search forums, which are things you'd never check when not in need of those services anyway.

Multiple skins would be nice - a lot of forums try to offer both a light and a dark skin to choose from, and the dark one tends to be easier on the eyes for us late-nighters. :unsure:

I also agree with scrapping the fun-gineers thing. Volunteer mods make sense both to reduce CM workloads, and to bring things to the attention of the CMs that might otherwise go unnoticed, but the fun-gineers serve no purpose except to further divide the feedback you're getting. If you need specific feedback on a very narrow topic, regular mods should be able to force those threads to stay on topic, and if not, you could make a subforum of suggestions with just those threads, and make all posts require mod approval. (You might not even need a subforum, I forget if IPB lets you do that by thread or only by forum.) This would accomplish the same focused discussion goal without pointlessly segregating the community.

As for the feedback forum, IMO, there needs to be a clear indication of what iRO staff is both capable of doing and allowed to do. It would also help to know what kRO has flat out rejected, what, if anything, they've approved, and what they're giving you the runaround on. I can understand you not wanting to reveal this information, as it's mostly going to be "rejected" and "can't get a straight answer", but it's better for the community to know how kRO is jerking you around, so we can focus suggestions on what can actually be change, rather than have to guess what they'll actually listen to, and be frustrated time and again when the community reaches more or less unanimous consensus on something, no reply is given, and no action is taken.

#20 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I also agree with scrapping the fun-gineers thing. Volunteer mods make sense both to reduce CM workloads, and to bring things to the attention of the CMs that might otherwise go unnoticed, but the fun-gineers serve no purpose except to further divide the feedback you're getting. If you need specific feedback on a very narrow topic, regular mods should be able to force those threads to stay on topic, and if not, you could make a subforum of suggestions with just those threads, and make all posts require mod approval. (You might not even need a subforum, I forget if IPB lets you do that by thread or only by forum.) This would accomplish the same focused discussion goal without pointlessly segregating the community.

I agree with some of what you say there, but there's not enough mods to do some of what the fungineers do.
For example, Oda will say to me, go make a thread about X or Y idea that I had and gather opinions - which I do semi regularly and I doubt I'm the only one. But such things would be a bigger workload for the mods, and on that vein, I'd like to see a moderated discussion area for ideas like that, but again, too much for too few mods.

I'd also like to see a section of the forums that covers quest guides and the like, with a group of section specific moderators who can colab on the guides.

#21 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

a subsection dedicated to "OMG I CANT LOGIN" to give a home to those that think posting will make the login server come back to life faster..

#22 Dmentd

Dmentd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn over my head
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Um, no. Too hard to see.

#23 shado

shado

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 401 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I agree with some of what you say there, but there's not enough mods to do some of what the fungineers do.
For example, Oda will say to me, go make a thread about X or Y idea that I had and gather opinions - which I do semi regularly and I doubt I'm the only one. But such things would be a bigger workload for the mods, and on that vein, I'd like to see a moderated discussion area for ideas like that, but again, too much for too few mods.

I'd also like to see a section of the forums that covers quest guides and the like, with a group of section specific moderators who can colab on the guides.

Are they paying you to do their job for them? Don't get me wrong, I understand you are just trying to help out, but if oda has an idea about something then oda should be the one to start a topic, and not use you as a penname. Most of the frustration I have with this game is the absolute lack of a standard when it comes to the gm's, and now you're telling me that you are receiving info from them that's not readily shared with the community and understood to be a cm's thought, and not yours? Mwrip hit the nail on the head, they just need to stop jerking off and level with us for a change.

Edited by shado, 13 February 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Are they paying you to do their job for them? Don't get me wrong, I understand you are just trying to help out, but if oda has an idea about something then oda should be the one to start a topic, and not use you as a penname. Most of the frustration I have with this game is the absolute lack of a standard when it comes to the gm's, and now you're telling me that you are receiving info from them that's not readily shared with the community and understood to be a cm's thought, and not yours? Mwrip hit the nail on the head, they just need to stop jerking off and level with us for a change.

You misunderstand what I said. I'd been screaming about a forum revamp for a while, so I made the topic linked in this threads OP to try and gather up some ideas saving them time.
Fungineers don't really get info or anything, all they do is throw around a couple of ideas and write quests. And if everyone could see the quests, that would be a bit of a spoiler, wouldn't it? (I don't read them personally)

#25 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hm, it's almost like if there is a member of the community willing to volunteer their time to create a topic and lead a discussion we will encourage them to do it?

Let me stop jerking off and level with you: lighten up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users