WTFast a necessity for some. Why Gravity should help make it more affordable. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

WTFast a necessity for some. Why Gravity should help make it more affordable.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've been speaking to some international players who find it necessary to use WTFast to play IRO. I myself find my ping high at times, being located in Canada and over 3000km from the Californian servers. I would consider using this service is it was cheaper.

My thoughts are that Gravity could create an agreement with WTFast to subsidize the costs of their services. Considering this is the international server this seems an appropriate move. Something along the lines of the current VIP subscription offering a code to lessen the price, or a separate VIP (i.e. International VIP) for a couple dollars more that includes a code for full WTFast services during the subscription period.

Both Gravity and WTFast should see this as a business opportunity. It most definitely would increase the amount of people using WTFast, as well as its popularity. Also, it would help Gravity keep long distance players playing who find their connection lacking and the price of playing with decent ping too high.

Thanks for reading. If you would be interested in purchasing such a service please show your support.

#2 Laurynthia

Laurynthia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Server:iRO Ymir

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I've played iRO for 8+ years without making use of such services and am used to the responsiveness of iRO from the UK with a 161ms ping. Therefore I would be unlikely to use any such services.

#3 Richardf

Richardf

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

I've played iRO for 8+ years without making use of such services and am used to the responsiveness of iRO from the UK with a 161ms ping. Therefore I would be unlikely to use any such services.

Hey! I invented the wheel!

... No thanks, I'm used to lugging things around.

#4 iiNote

iiNote

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1148 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'd use it, if it had a paying method by phone... just like iRO has.

#5 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

I had to start using "lowerping" about a year ago due to consistent lag. Even now if I remove lower ping I get lag. Its completely necessary at this point, and I don't know why.

#6 Freedom

Freedom

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1630 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I dont really care for lower ping, wtfast i find is much better. I do agree tho. They should have a package deal with wtfast.

#7 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Doesn't Warpportal/Gravity own WTFast? This seems like a massive conflict of interest for a game company to lease software that makes their games run "normally". Like first they introduce the software, then they downgrade their severs, they are just double dipping in players' wallets. And even if they subsidized the cost, they're still charging you more money to play a game that didn't use to have the latency issues it does now.

It's like if pepto bismol and Long John Silver were owned by the same company.

#8 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

We can't directly do anything about internet latency. Long distances always have longer ping times than short distances. I wonder how many of the people that experience bad latency have also done the packet relay mod that was posted on irowiki. What if the level of latency that is normal is considered to be 400? Then all of you are doing good, playing better than intended.

#9 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

~85ms is normal latency

#10 evilneko

evilneko

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

We can't directly do anything about internet latency. Long distances always have longer ping times than short distances. I wonder how many of the people that experience bad latency have also done the packet relay mod that was posted on irowiki. What if the level of latency that is normal is considered to be 400? Then all of you are doing good, playing better than intended.

So here's the thing, i recently came back to RO after not playing for several years, I played frequently from alpha right through to around 2006, back before the servers went Pay to Play on Loki and Chaos, while there were occasional lag spikes, for the most part the servers were pretty responsive even from the UK (where I am), even in around 2002 when i was on a really low end 1meg connection.

Each server rarely had less than 3000 users online at any one time, with that number being closer to 5000 during peak hours, now Ymir received between 500 and 700 players at any given time, a fraction of what it used to be, but the lag is there, constantly, never letting up, while I appreciate that with the games world expanding, more load is spread across the map servers, the drastically reduced number of players should easilly even that up.
For virtually any other game, my current fibre optic 100 meg down 20 meg up connection works perfectly fine with latency around 45ms.

For ragnarok unless i route my connection through services such as VPNSecure or similar (Not going to use WTFast just on principal), the game is virtually unplayable, assuming it allows me to login at all.

All to many times i've had to sit and watch my characters die from relatively low level monsters because the lag between client and server is so seveer that by the time everythings caught up my characters lay dead on the floor, it's rediculous.

At times it almost feels like they're throttling the bandwidth on the servers in the hopes that more players will opt to using WTFast, creating yet another revenue stream.

#11 SidleyBear

SidleyBear

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • LocationCanada!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have near perfect connect, I live in Northern Canada...

all I do is make sure i'm directly connected to my router and also use lowerping... My MS (or ping) on World of warcraft is always 50 or lower and my iRO connect is perfect.

I can now tell whenever iro is laggy >:)

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm investigating whether I could make a more affordable (but not as good) proxy service for RO. LP and WTFast are overkill for what most people want - they're kinda meant for the hardcore, balls-to-the-wall gamers for whom every millisecond matters, when we just want a half-decent ping so we can play passably.

I still need to learn more about unix system administration and get the client-side squared away (right now i'm using lowerping to direct the connections through the proxy - need to get a proper client application for that) in order to pull off something like that, though. Plus, there's AzzyAI version 1.50 to get squared away, so my time is split - and I have a job, and I have a life. I've been playing over my proxy for the past week, and it's just about as good as LP.

Edited by DrAzzy, 06 April 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#13 evilneko

evilneko

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Your best option is pay $9.95/month for VPN Secure, login to West coast with that, at least it's tollerable..
and unlike lowerping/wtfast, you can use it outside of gaming too :p_swt:

#14 DeltaRay

DeltaRay

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

my ping is usually 20 its been going up to 30s lately BTW its notice able for me lately because thats a 50% increase >_>

#15 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I live in hawaii and I'm far away from everything but I never really have latency issues with RO or anything else.

#16 Spitfire

Spitfire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm an Australian player and I actually just recently discovoured WTFast and what it can do. Before it I was lucky if I could even walk at times, the lag would get that bad. Now the responsiveness is way better and I can play with minimal issue's. Realistically these days I can't see being able to be even level without this let alone be competive (WoE and PVP etc.). It honestly feels like this game is an International game that doesn't keep it's International players in mind.

#17 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thats really sad when I get 200ms from Europe without any proxy services.

Not all users can do the packet relay mod, it's windows version dependant.

#18 brothersfree

brothersfree

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

i play with 250ms ping consistently with lowerping. thats the best my isp can do. unplayable without lowerping,

#19 falkenjeff

falkenjeff

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 448 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Server:"Valkyrie, prepared."

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Packet Relay, or TCP delay? O_o

#20 ValheruWolf

ValheruWolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

Heh. Say it's on the wiki an no link to it? Now get to go hunt and hope whatever I find was what you were actually talking about. Yep, just looking at wiki now, I have no idea what it is or where it would be?

Packet Relay, or TCP delay? O_o

Found the TCP thing in the tech forum so good question, if that't it then I'm not as lost as i thought I was but the wiki comment throws me off then.

Edited by ValheruWolf, 07 April 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#21 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

200-250ms is what i get from new zealand and for most international stuff. For w/e reason i had 400-600 for Aion, idk if thats because the servers were on the other side of the states or something. I get about 160-180ms on the diablo3 beta atm as well.

I dont use WTFast or LP either. Would a service like that allow you to get around the region locking in diablo3? everyone i know in online gaming is in UK/US :(

#22 Kenichi

Kenichi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

My average ping is around 400 @_@,
I use Lowerping or I barely move properly.

#23 Versath

Versath

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

My work should really do something to make the bus more enjoyable and cost effective. but the thing is they are two different companies and one cant force the other to lower its prices. try asking WTFfast not gravity.

#24 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

The network technician in me is DIEING laughing because of how absurd it is. This game should have a ping time ranging from 10ms to 125ms if you're within North America (figure 60ms average), 75ms to 250ms if you're playing from Europe, and 300ms plus ONLY if you're using a satellite based ISP (like what I have to use when I deploy to Afghanistan).

<please make your point without the bigotry please>

Edited by Inubashiri, 07 April 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#25 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

I Paid for WTFast last night...

Still got DCed, lagged and was highly disapointed with the outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users