• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Adrianus

Adrianus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

I know the exp rewarded for hugel medals has been reduces to 1/10 of what it was or something like that, but I still have some concerns about them.

I'm worried that all the medals from lucky boxes are going to generate alot of instant lv 150 characters when renewal hits mains. I know several people who have literally 10k medals stocked up.

Now before everyone yells at me and says you can't remove medals because they paid for them etc etc. I don't think they should be removed. I only think that the medal -> exp option should be removed. Selling items via the kafrashop that literally lets people buy levels is wrong in my opinion.

My impression from medals when they first came out via hugel races, and on a side issue the purpose of blank cards when they first came out, was not to let people "item up" but give them a way to gain access to some more rare items/armor/weapons that are normally quite hard to obtain (i.e. OCAs (blanks), elemental armors and lv 4 weapons).

So I suggest that for renewal the medal -> exp conversion be removed (preferably permanently although even temporarily works) to avoid people skipping straight to 150. I've mentioned before how I think more people need to relax a bit more and actually enjoy playing the game and not see it as a job. I think changing the way medals are used would help with this.

Sorry if that was a little long, hope I got my point across without rambling too much.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

I know the exp rewarded for hugel medals has been reduces to 1/10 of what it was or something like that, but I still have some concerns about them.

I'm worried that all the medals from lucky boxes are going to generate alot of instant lv 150 characters when renewal hits mains. I know several people who have literally 10k medals stocked up.

Now before everyone yells at me and says you can't remove medals because they paid for them etc etc. I don't think they should be removed. I only think that the medal -> exp option should be removed. Selling items via the kafrashop that literally lets people buy levels is wrong in my opinion.

My impression from medals when they first came out via hugel races, and on a side issue the purpose of blank cards when they first came out, was not to let people "item up" but give them a way to gain access to some more rare items/armor/weapons that are normally quite hard to obtain (i.e. OCAs (blanks), elemental armors and lv 4 weapons).

So I suggest that for renewal the medal -> exp conversion be removed (preferably permanently although even temporarily works) to avoid people skipping straight to 150. I've mentioned before how I think more people need to relax a bit more and actually enjoy playing the game and not see it as a job. I think changing the way medals are used would help with this.

Sorry if that was a little long, hope I got my point across without rambling too much.

The hugel medal NPC is hopelessly borked right now, actually. The npc script looks like it's a bastardization of at least two different versions of the script.

And, perhapse you missed the point of putting them in kafra boxes. THE WHOLE POINT OF PUTTING THEM INTO KAFRA BOXES is that people would want them IN ORDER TO GET INSTANT EXPERIENCE. That's WHY PEOPLE WANTED MEDALS and WHY PEOPLE BOUGHT KAFRA BOXES TO GET THEM.

Much as we might object to the selling of levels, it unfortunately seems that Gravity has decided that that they do intend to offer "instant exp" as one of the possible rewards from lucky boxes, and they're unlikely to compromise their lucky box sales by changing that. Personally I think the instant leveling is less objectionable than how much zeny people can make and how many chances at MVP cards they can get (through BBs) from lucky boxes...
Though, it's almost certain that medal use will disqualify one from the inevitable "race to 150" event that will come with renewal on mains

On the topic of the medal exchanger herself...

Dialog is bugged beyond belief, and needs to be redone.
It needs to be properly relocalized with the bulk medal->exp conversion

Exp awards for third class job exp are bugged - they are giving exp like first job.
Exp awards for experience at >lvl 100 may also be bugged - It sounds like they're giving less than 1/10th what they did to 85+ chars before renewal, which probably isn't correct.

Edited by DrAzzy, 16 September 2010 - 09:06 AM.

#3 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

You'll still need a Hell of a lot of medals to level off them, same as it always has been. Even people lucky enough to have stocked up a few thousand or more still won't be shooting past anyone else.

I am under the impression anyone worried about this has never leveled with Medals or used the calculator to see the sheer amount needed to progress on a high level character. For instance, I have 4,500k or so stored away and I'm not going to that far ahead of anyone if I choose to use them.

#4 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

The amount of exp gained from medals has decreased in renewal, while using them to attain 99 may be feasible, I don't think getting 150 on them would be.

#5 Adrianus

Adrianus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I don't think the whole BBes from lucky boxes any better, believe me I loathe it. Lucky boxes in general just seem broken to me. I just think they should consider toning it down a bit you can only make a game so much Pay to Win before people get irate esp when it is on a pay to play server. If I was playing on Valk I wouldn't care as much because I would expect it but this level of pay to win on a paid server is pretty gross IMO.

#6 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

It's just as easy to level without them as it is with them (see Abyss Lake Event) and I am quite sure we will still have such opportunities once Renewal goes live. The Cash shop isn't the problem and I would say this complaint isn't really a Renewal one.

#7 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

They DO need to tone it down, yes. I suspect that the latest round of boxes was particularly OP because the GMs were getting the last push for cash to get renewal implemented. Recall that the few boxes before it were only modestly popular, and were much more balanced. I have to think that they plan for certain box events to be more popular by making them more profitable.

I also suspect (and sincerely hope) that they won't put a box event in after renewal for a couple of months, to give the server a chance to adjust to renewal. Renewal (which will be sheer chaos when first implemented) plus a box event (always disruptive) at the same time would not be a good thing, and it would only exacerbate the price spikes in items that are good in renewal (because pay-to-win types will use proceeds of box buying to bid up the prices on the small numbers of desperately sought items available).

#8 Adrianus

Adrianus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

I'm well aware of the crazy leveling capable to be had in the recent events. I was just under the impression stuff like that would stop come renewal and we could hope to enjoy a more "normal" game experience.

If the exp gained via medals is in fact low enough to be a moot issue then I am fine with it. I'm mainly considered about the quantities and them perhaps being under estimated.

Your right I have never used medals and I never intend to. I only put this in the renewal section because I was applying the potential impact it would have on new content.

#9 shilin

shilin

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEast Geffen

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

offtopic but I am not very fond of people who say people need to "relax and enjoy the game". It's nobody else's business that certain people enjoy the game the most with endgame content and consider leveling a kind of sacrifice to get to the enjoyment.

On topic, so far 2 medals at lv100 gives 8500 exp, which is around 1/10 the value of pre-renewal 81+ exp value, so it might just be correct. with a therefore hebm to get to base 101, you'd already need 1000 medals. Even if the medals scale up as you level up it just doesn't seem possible that anyone would have enough to get to 150 with medals, not to mention you'd end up being 150/1 as well.

I am personally a little sad about the messed up job exp because I was trying to figure out a way to get a few job levels for my future sorcerer without having to waste skill points on a bolt. hopefully the fixed amount more reasonable

#10 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

I am personally a little sad about the messed up job exp because I was trying to figure out a way to get a few job levels for my future sorcerer without having to waste skill points on a bolt. hopefully the fixed amount more reasonable

You could party, I hear those are pretty good in renewal and scholar might even be a desirable job. -_-

#11 Adrianus

Adrianus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'm not really concerned that people level faster than me. I mean people can buy BMs and level faster than me because I don't and I'm ok with that. I don't mind kafra items when they are for convenience. But when a cash bought item allows people to essentially skip large portions of the game it has indirect effects on my gameplay.

Being able to buy levels demerits partying. People see parties as too slow (why bother when you can just click on a npc) or after they run out of said items and actually try to party there is a chance (and increasingly so with more iteming up) that they will be completely "derka derka" and not know how to play their class which also negatively effects partying.

So in conclusion, if the exp from medals has been reduced sufficiently to only be a leveling aid not a replacement then I am fine with them. I was only concerned that there was potential for people to completely skip brand new content.

#12 BlackPotato

BlackPotato

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationIris born, loud and proud!
  • Server:Iris

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

blanks npc will still be there as well i hope?

#13 Kimmy

Kimmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationIn the kitchen.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

Meh, forget about it. There's a girl with 30k medals from the troy event. It's already done.

#14 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

30k Medals would still be less than 30 levels, and would only affect either base or job of course. While it's a huge boost, it's not really game breaking given the sheer number of Prize Medals it would require.

And having that many stashed away is uncommon. There will always be a few people who have stock piled something that will give them an advantage, and that will happen in all aspects of the game, not just leveling. I know people who have 30k of some of the crafting items required for Renewal stockpiled. It's not much different than having Prize Medals and Blanks set aside.

I still don't see an issue with Prize Medals. Nerfing them would only cheat those who have saved them. Because whether or not we acquired them through Lucky Boxes with real money, or worked for them in game, we still earned them. While most of mine were from Lucky Boxes, a great many were from races and Anniversary Troy (hehe yes I bothered to do that). It's not right to draw a distinction between how they were gotten.

#15 HugPorings

HugPorings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationSantee CA

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

You could party, I hear those are pretty good in renewal and scholar might even be a desirable job. :wah:

Alot of people do not like to party. Pushing ro players to party is doing nothing but pushing players to quit.
oRo is becoming more like KRO. Pushing korean gaming culture on to iro is abad idea.
koreans play games difrent and fore other reasons than most contrys.

Give a korean child a rubik's cube 10 days latior the cube is salved.
Give an american child a rubik's cube and it is salved in a day with 1/2 the sticklers will be falling off.
But watch out the chinese child will be like what this stuff is easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqUcrFJ498
koreans are robot game players.
Thats why jro is like wtf hell no lol we are not robots we play with robots. we are having nothing of kro.

Edited by HugPorings, 17 September 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#16 MeloMew

MeloMew

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDemonweb Pits

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

They could always just disable medals for level 100+. :wah:

#17 kotoyuri

kotoyuri

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

howd i even get here ;-;

Edited by kotoyuri, 04 March 2012 - 02:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users