IP restrictions of Game Arena - Page 2 - ROSE Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

IP restrictions of Game Arena

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 Stach

Stach

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Take out dual clienting? That's an idiotic statement. The remaining people in game would quit.

#27 soggycereal

soggycereal

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Take out dual clienting? That's an idiotic statement. The remaining people in game would quit.

can you tell me why its so idiotic cause your statement is looking just as idiotic. "people will quit" yea because no one as of right now is quitting and the game is so live. they can always make another way of crafting maybe a max craft button to use all mats destiny u need to go back and read obviously leeching gives you no points and apparently when you guys play CD there never comes a point where the attacker is fighting within 12m of the crystal

rooster- i also supported gravity and i plan on quitting soon so regardless people will leave no matter what which would decrease profit

Junon already looks like a ghost town here in Draco

#28 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Currently unknown

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Junon has always been a ghost town in draco lol.

#29 DigitalKitten

DigitalKitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4996 posts
  • Server:Leonis, Draconis

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

There's a lot of fun behind dual clienting besides GA and such, think about all the issues with vending, trading yourself, buffing your own low level character etc?
Playing two characters at the same time in different clans and places? Would be a stupid idea to remove dual clienting and will most likely not happen.

#30 Aviv4

Aviv4

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

New point reward system = no need for the IP restriction.

The botting... It doesnt worth it.

#31 Stach

Stach

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

can you tell me why its so idiotic cause your statement is looking just as idiotic. "people will quit" yea because no one as of right now is quitting and the game is so live. they can always make another way of crafting maybe a max craft button to use all mats destiny u need to go back and read obviously leeching gives you no points and apparently when you guys play CD there never comes a point where the attacker is fighting within 12m of the crystal

rooster- i also supported gravity and i plan on quitting soon so regardless people will leave no matter what which would decrease profit

Junon already looks like a ghost town here in Draco

Before you address me as having an "idiotic" statement, restructure your whole paragraph of garbage. Your run on sentences and lack of punctuation tell me that you must be an idiot; therefore, I won't retract what i said before. Did I once say in this topic that I disagreed with you on crafting or leeching? No. The only thing I disagreed with you on is taking out dual clienting. The majority of the remaining population dual client because the population is very low and it's difficult to find parties. If you were to take out dual clienting, then how would the new or old players be able to max out a character just soloing due to such a low population? Have you soloed to level 220 without buffs or a party? When or if you respond to my comment, use a little bit of punctuation so I can take you a bit more seriously.

#32 soggycereal

soggycereal

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

before you address me as having an "idiotic" statement you should tell me why its so idiotic the word your looking for is ignorant you dont know where i grew up or my age if english is my first language or i was just simply to lazy to add proper punctuation good thing i have grammar check you to correct me lol since when was punctuation the deciding factor between whos an idiot and whos not the disagreement i "supposedly" made of what you said and leeching was not directed to you i didnt know your name was destiny and the crafting was for digitalkitten (i can see how you got confused by this as i quoted you and replied to others although i did add destiny having to be a name because wtf would it be doing there in the middle of a sentence where it doesnt belong as for digitalkittens comment i figured you would read it and know that it was not directed to you being that you said nothing about crafting i guess i overestimated your "intelligence") rather then saying thats idiotic huuurrrrr i tried to find a solution its something to think about i dont fully understand your question of leveling mostly because we're not playing a single player game i dont see how thats relevant when theres people around to level with are you saying if they took out dual clients i would be the last one left and i would have to level solo?
howsthatforarunonsentencegooddaysir

I won't retract what i said before." correct yourself before you correct others. and i never asked you to retract anything simply explain why

Edited by soggycereal, 19 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#33 soggycereal

soggycereal

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

New point reward system = no need for the IP restriction.

The botting... It doesnt worth it.

Your right even though at times it can work it probably isn't worth it, so why put a IP restriction in the first place when we didnt have it for UW? and what about times when someone does enter CD with two characters for whatever reason not only is that person a sitting duck not helping but also taking up room that an active player could be using to actually help the team what if this sitting duck is a cleric which we only get a few of each CD game because of the restriction for example:Posted Image
anways don't blow this up its just something to think about

Edited by soggycereal, 19 May 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#34 kwayan19

kwayan19

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1031 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

agreeeeee!

#35 Naughty

Naughty

Too Legit To Quit

• ROSE Moderators
  • 2657 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Taking out Dual Client, would be more unfavourable than this Ip ban.
I dont think frustrating even more players, is the right action to take.

Lift the Ip restriction and then ip ban anyone that does abuse it. To me, that is fair.
If it gives you the warm fuzzies, by all means check our Accounts. Ensure we are not rule breaking players and then allow us to enjoy the game as a family aka team.

p.s I am a Cleric

#36 soggycereal

soggycereal

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Lift the Ip restriction and then ip ban anyone that does abuse it. To me, that is fair.

i agree sadly people getting banned comes once a blue moon

#37 Naughty

Naughty

Too Legit To Quit

• ROSE Moderators
  • 2657 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

i agree sadly people getting banned comes once a blue moon

Well i know Elvis sang about a Blue Moon.
There is no published info from Gravity, as to how many do get banned, suspended, eaten, or whatever other punishments they dish out at Marina Del Ray. However, if its 100 a day or 1 a year, I think its a diabolical solution to restrict innocent players.

Infact this Ip restrictioning <--Is that a word? :s of innocent players seems to be catching on like it's some
sort of contagious disease.....
Now someone is wanting it to be considered for prime farming locations!
I dont think i need to say it, but im going to anyways. I am totally opposed to anymore future Ip restrictions of this Games content.
Unless it is deserved by that player, by all means suspend, ban, eat away.

#38 Rooster

Rooster

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • Server:both

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think my point was more that the removal of the dual clienting would cause more people to leave than any other reason brought up in this thread. I am sorry you plan to quit however, I doubt the reason you plan to quit is shared with as many people as there would be if dual clienting was removed. I give you credit for bringing up a suggestion that would help as this is what the thread was about in the 1st place. I just think it would do more damage than good, and after 5-6 years of playing, I don't want to be forced out by something that i actually enjoy doing.
Do I have a decent suggestion? Sort of. I think the IP restriction was implemented because it was the easiest way the Dev's can implement something without having to manage it. The GM's don't often get in game to monitor people and when they do it is amazing how people get on their best behavior during their presence. If they remove the IP restriction and make the effort to get in game more often and ban the leechers I feel this is the best way to throw down the hammer and get rid of the garbage players in the game. Instilling fear into players for leeching or cheating is the only way I can think of to solve the problem. I just don't see Gravity paying people to do something like this because it doesn't help them increase profits in the short term. What would be nice is a message when you enter GA that leechers will be banned if caught and then random follow up in game when they see people violating the rules. It'll likely never happen but it is the only way I can think of to resolve this issue. Shazamo spends more time in game helping to create enjoyment for the players by offering games with rewards for participation. i think this is a great approach but a few appearances in GA rather than running a question answer mini event would be more effective imo.

#39 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:23 AM

YES I SUPPORT THIS............why dont they put something like a kick button? but only the team that char is in can kick, not the other team. but we will have to vote so there isnt any kicking just because someone doesnt like that person, if more than 75% agrees to kick then the that person would be kicked. Other thing, make the kicking cost honor points or money, that way people would not just kick randomly people.

#40 TwiliteGarden

TwiliteGarden

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Not allowing more than one client with the same IP address is a prime example of how Gravity works.

They want to avoid people multi-clienting in the GA. So instead of finding an elegant solution they take the simplest solution which is almost always inconvenient, to say the least.

Other examples:
- disable friends list for months
- turn off channel 2 and channel 3
- etc.

It is obvious we are dealing with a company that either hires incompetent developers or more likely doesn't have the time, money, or desire to put any amount of effort into making this a better game.

#41 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I wouldn't that proves your statement is either wrong or biased. more willing to bet it's the second.

#42 tENLAVUU

tENLAVUU

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1757 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Here is my suggestion:

-Implement a function that would be able to recognized individual computers. That may enable those who actually do have family members or friends in the same location to have parallel play.

-In the extreme cases where people may go out of their way to have two computers up for CD, a message appears after 1-2 minutes of inactivity requiring the player to confirm the message in order to continue playing. If the message is not confirmed, the player is removed from CD. In cases where an individual may continuously click confirm to avoid being kicked and stays afk, a group vote appears after the 2nd offense where a majority of the players would vote to agree to kick that particular player. Keep in mind that this message does not appear unless the system detects that no movement has been made. In cases where an individual may be disruptive and use macros or other means to evade from being kicked, implement an option within the group tab to enable anyone to select a vote kick option which is then decided by the majority of the group. This vote kick option selected from the group tab should have an area where one can type in the exact reason why the other player is being kicked which is then displayed on the screen of the players of that group. This would prevent any foul play or abuse of the system as players could take screenshots when reasons are inappropriate to submit to the support team.

Edited by tENLAVUU, 29 June 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#43 Gojio

Gojio

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • LocationPastaland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Honestly the IP restriction is totally unnecessary. It could have worked for UW where leechers could get points by just standing still in there.

But honestly, what would be the point of dual clienting in GA? We sure don't need our own clerics because there is always a cleric in your team.

Only thing that could be happening is one person having 2 characters, one defending one attacking, and switching char every now and then. But:

1) You gotta be a true nerd to do that
2) You would get low points on both chars, while with just 1 you can play it for longer and aim at more points in total
3) If people knew you are doing that, they (I personally) would tend not to help you with heals\buffs\fights or whatsoever

#44 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

-Implement a function that would be able to recognized individual computers. That may enable those who actually do have family members or friends in the same location to have parallel play.

If it was that simple it would have been done over enforcing an IP restriction.

#45 tENLAVUU

tENLAVUU

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1757 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

If it was that simple it would have been done over enforcing an IP restriction.

Of course I'm not a programmer nor do I know anything about it or the level that you guys operate at. My suggestions are simply ideas taken from various games I've played that incorporated such functions.

#46 Phish

Phish

Bourgeois & Champion Representative

• Members
  • 3564 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. New York

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Honestly the IP restriction is totally unnecessary. It could have worked for UW where leechers could get points by just standing still in there.

But honestly, what would be the point of dual clienting in GA? We sure don't need our own clerics because there is always a cleric in your team.

Only thing that could be happening is one person having 2 characters, one defending one attacking, and switching char every now and then. But:

1) You gotta be a true nerd to do that
2) You would get low points on both chars, while with just 1 you can play it for longer and aim at more points in total
3) If people knew you are doing that, they (I personally) would tend not to help you with heals\buffs\fights or whatsoever

I'm really not against enabling two people to play on the same IP, but what happens if someone dual clients and joins on their own cleric, when no other clerics sign up? Yeah, they should be obligated to play as the cleric at that point but if they don't.... then it's a sloppy buffless war for everyone.

#47 CJGM3

CJGM3

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Server:Arua

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

I dont know what was the reason that put the IP Restriction if only you can win pts for the work that you produce in the Game Arena. I would like that the people can play with yours family or friends in the same house. This IP Restriction cause that you can not play with others in the same internet.

#48 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's just the repercussion that i expected with so many leechers in UW, saw it coming and this is what happens.

#49 CaNehDa

CaNehDa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3009 posts
  • LocationInside of every dimension like a virus.
  • Server:SpaceFabric

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Taking out Dual Client, would be more unfavourable than this Ip ban.
I dont think frustrating even more players, is the right action to take.

If it gives you the warm fuzzies, by all means check our Accounts. Ensure we are not rule breaking players and then allow us to enjoy the game as a family aka team.

p.s I am a Cleric

Actually moderating the game might be a good idea - rather then enforcing restrictions that punishes everyone for the few missusers.

#50 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

The reason it was put in was to deter leechers. Leeching was the biggest complaint about UW. A leecher in GA, if a knight or something, would not be horrible. But if it is one of the clerics needed to sign in and then leaves that team without a cleric, that would be bad. So many people still complain about how the clerics don't buff or heal them. It would only make the complaints worse and people more pissed off. It would be so nice to believe that people wouldn't do that, but we all know the answer to that. There is a kick from group button and if someone sees that there is a leecher the leader can kick them, but again, if it is the only cleric it will cause problems.

I think the only thing they can do is try to lift the IP ban. Give it a shot and hope people act the right way. I don't like the fact that people in the same house can't play together. Then we as a community need to honestly report back to let them know how it is going. In addition, it would be nice for the GMs to occasionally go in the GA for the first few weeks and watch that it is going well. They can easily put the restriction back in place if it doesn't go well. But if we don't try it then people will always ask to have it lifted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users