I'm an old player considering coming back for classic..... - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

I'm an old player considering coming back for classic.....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hello all!

I started playing RO back in 2005, and I quit sometime in 2009. I decided to quit the game because the population was dwindling, the Kafra Shop was dumb, and I hated the coming of the 3rd classes (renewal). The upcoming Classic RO server looks like it has potential, so I might try it out. Here are some of my concerns:

1) Please DO NOT bring back the convex mirror! Half of the fun of MVPing was exploring maps and searching for MVPs. Sometimes you found the MVP, sometimes you didn't. It was mysterious/difficult, and that is what made MVPing so exciting and rewarding. Back in the day, when I found an MVP, I got such a rush of excitement - now everything is so predictable. The convex mirror simply ruined this aspect of MVPing. Nowadays, all you do is pop a mirror, and you find out the exact time the MVP spawns, and where it is located. People who don't want to waste money on convex mirrors cannot compete with players who abuse the convex mirrors. Bring back the old school style of MVPing, where you have to actually get off your ass and spend time looking for MVPs.

2) Please don't bring back some Kafra equipment, like the angel wings and drooping kitty. Back in the day, when a player had angel wings, it was special. I remember me and a bunch of people would compete to kill angeling in Poring Isle. I spent many hours hunting for angel wings. The Kafra Shop pretty much destroyed the value of these rare items.

Edited by ragnarok159, 27 June 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#2 Randalf

Randalf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

3) Please don't bring back the clothing dyes. One of the reasons I love this game is because of the awesome sprite designs. The clothing dyes make the sprites less distinct and they make the game look like a private server.

If there were no private servers, would this even be a complaint? Sometimes private servers have good ideas that official servers can't get, since iRO is kinda restricted by KRO's iron fist. Disliking something because private servers did it first is just silly.

I don't get how anyone can really complain about Dyes when they're the least intrusive Kafra Shop item gameplay-wise and still bring in money.

#3 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

If there were no private servers, would this even be a complaint? Sometimes private servers have good ideas that official servers can't get, since iRO is kinda restricted by KRO's iron fist. Disliking something because private servers did it first is just silly.

I don't get how anyone can really complain about Dyes when they're the least intrusive Kafra Shop item gameplay-wise and still bring in money.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I preferred RO back when the character sprites were distinct and looked good. The clothing dyes make the sprites look tacky and unappealing. This is my opinion of course, I can't speak for anyone else!

#4 Randalf

Randalf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I preferred RO back when the character sprites were distinct and looked good. The clothing dyes make the sprites look tacky and unappealing. This is my opinion of course, I can't speak for anyone else!

Gotcha.

http://forums.warppo...gs-of-interest/

Has everything that will be in the Kafra Shop at first, as far as I can tell, none of the hats or items you mentioned are there, except for the dye.

#5 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Gotcha.

http://forums.warppo...gs-of-interest/

Has everything that will be in the Kafra Shop at first, as far as I can tell, none of the hats or items you mentioned are there, except for the dye.

Looks good. As long as they don't re-implement the convex mirror, I will be happy. One of my favorite aspects of the game is MVPing, and the implementation of the mirror is one of the reasons I quit.

Apparently the GMs will implement some aspects of the game later on. Do you know if the GMs plan on putting in the convex mirror sometime in the future?

Edited by ragnarok159, 27 June 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#6 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hello all!

I started playing RO back in 2005, and I quit sometime in 2009. I decided to quit the game because the population was dwindling, the Kafra Shop was dumb, and I hated the coming of the 3rd classes (renewal). The upcoming Classic RO server looks like it has potential, so I might try it out. Here are some of my concerns:

1) Please DO NOT bring back the convex mirror! Half of the fun of MVPing was exploring maps and searching for MVPs. Sometimes you found the MVP, sometimes you didn't. It was mysterious/difficult, and that is what made MVPing so exciting and rewarding. Back in the day, when I found an MVP, I got such a rush of excitement - now everything is so predictable. The convex mirror simply ruined this aspect of MVPing. Nowadays, all you do is pop a mirror, and you find out the exact time the MVP spawns, and where it is located. People who don't want to waste money on convex mirrors cannot compete with players who abuse the convex mirrors. Bring back the old school style of MVPing, where you have to actually get off your ass and spend time looking for MVPs.

2) Please don't bring back some Kafra equipment, like the angel wings and drooping kitty. Back in the day, when a player had angel wings, it was special. I remember me and a bunch of people would compete to kill angeling in Poring Isle. I spent many hours hunting for angel wings. The Kafra Shop pretty much destroyed the value of these rare items.

3) Please don't bring back the clothing dyes. One of the reasons I love this game is because of the awesome sprite designs. The clothing dyes make the sprites less distinct and they make the game look like a private server.

1: yeah.. MVPing was soooo fun back in the day. You know going out 2 minutes after it died and looking for it for the next hour..... at least it is somewhat mitigated by the gravestones now.
2: boo hoo. I used to sell droopies all the time, I didn't complain when they went into the kafra shop.
3: die ina fire. Seriously, no one cares what YOU think. It was an official kRO update that we sorely needed. Hell we could use MORE options, the pservers got that right - RO is about looking cute and original with tons of different headgear sets so why restrict clothes to one specific color scheme?

#7 Amis

Amis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Server:Loki>Ymir>Classic

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

1: yeah.. MVPing was soooo fun back in the day. You know going out 2 minutes after it died and looking for it for the next hour..... at least it is somewhat mitigated by the gravestones now.
2: boo hoo. I used to sell droopies all the time, I didn't complain when they went into the kafra shop.
3: die ina fire. Seriously, no one cares what YOU think. It was an official kRO update that we sorely needed. Hell we could use MORE options, the pservers got that right - RO is about looking cute and original with tons of different headgear sets so why restrict clothes to one specific color scheme?

I think what he was trying to say was, "Welcome home." If it makes you feel any better, I've always preferred the original designs myself, but I don't think there is any reason to force that choice on others. It is a rather benign thing, wouldn't you think?

#8 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I liked the dyes. Both the OG undied sages and bios at the absolute least where ugly colored. I actually DO wish we had a much larger color palette to choose from so not everyone has to look the exact same except for headgears.

#9 Tolrin

Tolrin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Gotta say, camping an MvP map for hours at a time to steal spawn timer is not really a fun activity, nor does having the respawn time unavailable encourage competition at MvPs at all. In my opinion convex mirrors are really great for actually PLAYING the game, but they weren't listed in the shop items that they posted, so it seems like they won't be available for now.

#10 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

1. Yeah, MVP is even more fun now. There is nothing better then a 99 trans abusing the convex mirrors and camping an MVP for days, killing the MVP within literally 5 seconds of spawning every single time. Meanwhile, players who don't want to waste money have no chance of competing.

2. A lot of players spent many hours hunting for cool/rare head gears. Hunting for rare head gears used to be rewarding, now any newb can own angel wings with mommy's credit card.

Edited by ragnarok159, 27 June 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#11 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Gotta say, camping an MvP map for hours at a time to steal spawn timer is not really a fun activity, nor does having the respawn time unavailable encourage competition at MvPs at all. In my opinion convex mirrors are really great for actually PLAYING the game, but they weren't listed in the shop items that they posted, so it seems like they won't be available for now.

I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the excitement of finding an MVP. Boss monsters are supposed to be rare and hard to find.

#12 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

If possible they should atleast change convex to only show if the MVP is up and timer. Not show where it is. Unless of course they magically get tombstones implemented. The hours spent blindly searching for a mvp that isnt even there and waiting to see if you get lucky to find it again is a absolute turn off for me. Its understandable that you wouldnt want them in because it ruins the fair game of finding the mvp but at the same time not everyone who is interested in the PreRE server has the time for it anymore.

Edited by Toxn, 27 June 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#13 bakumansuki

bakumansuki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sometimes what u like is not what everyone else like,
i like 3rd job class, i like new Clothing dye and I like item get recycled in KS so their price wont get so OP despite of how easy u earn it.

Edit: however I agree with convex mirror, sometimes when I was waiting for tomb another ppl came and brag that they hve mirror and I only wish my fwing will be lucky that time =S

Edited by bakumansuki, 27 June 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#14 Ciel

Ciel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationExtreme Super South, Texas
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I like some of the Kafra stuff, mainly the cosmetic headgears, like FILIR <3. He's so cute....

As for the Convex Mirrors, I am glad they are not in. Sure, going to a map after someone else has killed it is a little sad, but if you are with a party, and all wing/teleport around, you can say 'OK, Map clear' within a few minutes. THEN you promptly go to the next MvP and kill it. :D I, too, find a lil bit of joy finding an MvP before others do and KILL IT ASAP AJAJAJAJA!!!!11!!!

And as for the dyes....

I actually love dyes. I used to be in private servers before I came to iRO, and I didn't miss much from them...

aside dyes.

So to take that away? BLASPHEMY! ;p

#15 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

If possible they should atleast change convex to only show if the MVP is up and timer. Not show where it is. Unless of course they magically get tombstones implemented. The hours spent blindly searching for a mvp that isnt even there and waiting to see if you get lucky to find it again is a absolute turn off for me. Its understandable that you wouldnt want them in because it ruins the fair game of finding the mvp but at the same time not everyone who is interested in the PreRE server has the time for it anymore.

I understand what you're saying.

Honestly though, a grinding game like RO is not very fitting for people who don't have much free time. I think the biggest downfall of RO was when it became too easy.

Edited by ragnarok159, 27 June 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#16 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yeah RO has always been a grind fest. But games like that just dont work anymore. Majority of people hate em or dont bother because of the time spent. It doesnt help that they made RO so easy to level but didnt offer anything new for end game content. WoE, PVP and MVPing can only last so long... But oh well. ROs fanbase has become so divided they will never please everyone and it will eventually lead it to its death.

Edited by Toxn, 27 June 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#17 ragnarok159

ragnarok159

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've changed my mind about the clothing dye. It's not a big deal and doesn't affect the game in a negative way.

#18 Valkayre

Valkayre

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew World, S Texas District
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin Ch.15 ~ Alberta

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello all!

I started playing RO back in 2005, and I quit sometime in 2009. I decided to quit the game because the population was dwindling, the Kafra Shop was dumb, and I hated the coming of the 3rd classes (renewal).

I think I had the same experience playing during 2004-2005.
IMO renewal brought awesome maps, monsters and quests BUT also disgraced somehow the game mechanics.

Edited by Valkayre, 28 June 2012 - 05:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users