Is the merchant a good starting class? - Merchant Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Is the merchant a good starting class?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zetsuke

Zetsuke

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'm coming back to this game after like, six or seven years, and I never really played seriously the first time around, so for all intents and purposes, I am completely new. I've been poking around the forums, looking for a good class to start with, and I've narrowed my choice down to three: geneticist, mechanic, or guillotine cross. I had a few concerns that I was hoping more experienced players could address for me (I'm going to be posting this in the thief forum too).

1. It seems like a merchant could be a good starting character because their job skills are uniquely suited towards making money. However, from what I've been reading, thieves are also good starting characters because they don't need a lot of money to build and play effectively. At the end of the day, which do you think is more effective at making money, the merchant's skill set or the thief's frugality?

2. Just from reading through their skill descriptions, it looks as though mechanics and geneticists use an extremely large number consumable items for their spells. I'm a bit wary of this. Is this something that quickly becomes negligible, or are the cost and weight of these reagents a serious concern for even well-off players?

3. All right, call me a creep, but I think that Lif is really cute. I'd love to make one if I end up going with an alchemist, but from reading their descriptions, it seems as though all of the other homunculi are more useful. Are their any good alchemist builds that can make good use of Lif, or will I be gimping myself unavoidably if I choose her?

4. I don't know anyone who plays this game, so I'll probably be playing by myself for a while. Which is better for playing solo, alchemists or blacksmiths?

I know that these are a lot of questions and thanks in advance to anyone who reads through and answers them. I hope to see you in game!

#2 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Is the merchant a good starting class?

Absolutely not.

They level slower than anything except a battle acolyte... unless you spend a ton of money (mammonite or chug-a-lug on potions while cart revoing mobs). Expensive to level effeciently character. Make a vend OC/DC slave and level something else. Then when you have money, do the merchant efficiently.

Edited by Jaye, 09 July 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#3 StarDruid

StarDruid

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Server:No where Now

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'm coming back to this game after like, six or seven years, and I never really played seriously the first time around, so for all intents and purposes, I am completely new. I've been poking around the forums, looking for a good class to start with, and I've narrowed my choice down to three: geneticist, mechanic, or guillotine cross. I had a few concerns that I was hoping more experienced players could address for me (I'm going to be posting this in the thief forum too).

1. It seems like a merchant could be a good starting character because their job skills are uniquely suited towards making money. However, from what I've been reading, thieves are also good starting characters because they don't need a lot of money to build and play effectively. At the end of the day, which do you think is more effective at making money, the merchant's skill set or the thief's frugality?

2. Just from reading through their skill descriptions, it looks as though mechanics and geneticists use an extremely large number consumable items for their spells. I'm a bit wary of this. Is this something that quickly becomes negligible, or are the cost and weight of these reagents a serious concern for even well-off players?

3. All right, call me a creep, but I think that Lif is really cute. I'd love to make one if I end up going with an alchemist, but from reading their descriptions, it seems as though all of the other homunculi are more useful. Are their any good alchemist builds that can make good use of Lif, or will I be gimping myself unavoidably if I choose her?

4. I don't know anyone who plays this game, so I'll probably be playing by myself for a while. Which is better for playing solo, alchemists or blacksmiths?

I know that these are a lot of questions and thanks in advance to anyone who reads through and answers them. I hope to see you in game!

Sorry if this gets hard to understand, it's almsot 3am, and I got some powerful painkillers in my system because if an infected tooth.

1. I've always gone a merchant first, but I've played since late alpha/early beta. Unlike other characters don't go for high exp monsters till you have better gear. If you stick with thing like codors etc you can make the novice pot you get in the train grounds last a hell of a long time. Once you get a good weapon (+7 main gauche or +7 blade) spores will give you a hell lot of exp for a long time. A Vit build and can watch the cash flow using the culvert. Vit builds can survive there forever since most mobs only do 1 dmg there with 20+ vit, or go hybrid but get Vit first in teh culvert.
Just remember as a merchant meat is your friend. It cost nearly as much as reds, heals more but is heavier, but not a problem with merchant. Fill you cart with meat and Kill for hours.

Another good character to level along side your merchant is ether a thief or TaeKwon Kid. With double attack even a +7 Main gauche will do a lot of damage, or spent 5 bucks to get a Chick hat and enjoy double attack with a bow and head to a rogue with your thief.
In the case of TaeKwon Kid they don't use weapons and get +100 damage when Sprint is Max. They also get all the elemental attacks with Mild Wind, including ones other classes only get from special weapons such as holy, ghost, and dark.

In ether case both go great with a merchant since their easy to level and maintain, so you can save more cash.

2. Never gotten that far with my 3 merchants that I've really played, always spent more time making money or helping new players then playing lol. But weight is never a concern with a merchant class. Get job 50 and max out enlarge weight and cart. It's worth it, since you can carry lots of gear and heal items and never notice.

3. I personally love the Lif (green one is my favorite). She's hard to level but she's basically a mini-acolyte once you get her healing hands and slim reds. I've used her with a variety of builds and I see her as a support mini-acolyte and a little extra damage.

4. Blacksmiths can be good with the right build but geared more for crafting this battle, on the other hand alchemist have a lot of skills that are specifically battle orientated. Also with Aid potions you can heal your self and you Homunculus. I've always found the alchemist is simple much better at soloing.

Edit reason: Because I'm a little more with it this morning

Edited by StarDruid, 24 July 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#4 shawnja

shawnja

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Your answer is simple: AGI ARCHER CLASS is the easiest character to start with.
I started with hunter/sniper/ranger and that's how I easily made money to venture off and make other characters. Thief class is relatively cheap to operate too but it's BORING AS HELL. I guess if you like single click play that's the class for you. I personally enjoy maximum skill spammage so double strafe/focus arrow strike/arrow storm is what I'm all about. Of course it's all up to you but most other classes require a good deal of zeny to gear/level efficiently. Archer class can create their own ammunition in ANY ELEMENT leading to more damage wherever you decide to level up. Good luck, have fun, hopefully you make the right choice ;)

Oh, PS:
Everyone should make a merchant first/second to max out overcharge, discount and level 1-10 vending. This way you can get 24% more profit from common monster loots, 24% discount from tool store NPCs (cheaper potions,fwings,etc), and you're able to vend valuable loot to other players.

Edited by shawnja, 04 August 2012 - 11:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users