(Classic) How do you deal with... - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

(Classic) How do you deal with...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Canasaurus

Canasaurus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

...playing Ragnarok Online from this provider. I honestly don't know how you guys can endure it. Take a quick look at the questions below and give them some thoughts.

How do you deal with...

...the number of gold farming bots?
...the number of player bots?
...the fact that not enough is done about them?
...the number of steps you have to take to report a bot? Really that's absurd from a player's perspective, where does your money go when you pay for this game?
...the fact that while you're sleeping, countless players are edging ahead through illicit methods?
...guilds that recruit characters over 75/80, encouraging you to use said illicit methods?
...the paranoia that even your guild members might be botting on an alternate account?
...the number of disconnects during map change?
...the number of disconnects during just-about-everywhere-at-anytime?
...poor map designs? Only a handful are worthwhile and everyone converges to it.

This isn't a MMORPG, this is a simMMORPG/tactical botfare. When was the last time grinded and thought, "Oh man, this is fun!" and not just because of sheer will, addiction, angst, you-name-it?

#2 Brenson

Brenson

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

wow brosepsh, there's prolly 4535464 posts concerning all the questions you just asked. half of them are even on the first page, and one is actually pinned. you're a winner.

#3 MrPizza

MrPizza

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

• ...the number of gold farming bots?
I don't know the number but I report them when I can and continue on with my gameplay.
  • ...the number of player bots?
Same as above.
  • ...the fact that not enough is done about them?
It's enough for me to keep playing. I deal with it by helping out guild mates.
  • ...the number of steps you have to take to report a bot? Really that's absurd from a player's perspective, where does your money go when you pay for this game?
Is it that hard? It takes less than 5 minutes. Go to website - select category - input text - click submit. That wasn't so hard.
  • ...the fact that while you're sleeping, countless players are edging ahead through illicit methods?
Nothing for me to deal with. I don't care about the game during sleep.
  • ...guilds that recruit characters over 75/80, encouraging you to use said illicit methods?
I dealt with this by joining a guild outside of these requirements.
  • ...the paranoia that even your guild members might be botting on an alternate account?
Well I sure hope I run into them so I can report their bot.
  • ...the number of disconnects during map change?
I come to the forums or I just take a break. If WoE was going on, I'd have a different attitude.
  • ...the number of disconnects during just-about-everywhere-at-anytime?
Same as above.
  • ...poor map designs? Only a handful are worthwhile and everyone converges to it.
I tolerate them. It lets low-end computers play the game.

#4 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image

#5 afterbreeze

afterbreeze

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Gold farming in my RO? Outrageous!

#6 PudinPuddy

PudinPuddy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Locationjumping out a window
  • Server:Odin + Chaos

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

...guilds that recruit characters over 75/80, encouraging you to use said illicit methods?

rofl I don't know what you're talking about, but I got to 70+ simply with hardcore grinding, and most of the way I didn't even use BMs. So that doesn't encourage anything "said illicit methods".

#7 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Join my guild, there are no level restrictions there!
Though, at the moment there are also no members in it q__Q
(LARRY AND REINHARTD, HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME ALONEEEE???? QQQQQ)

#8 Tamorr

Tamorr

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

...playing Ragnarok Online from this provider. I honestly don't know how you guys can endure it. Take a quick look at the questions below and give them some thoughts.

How do you deal with...

do i even care much. no because i don't do it. i get what i can get with my experience in the adventure. there are many different people, which makes this a unique type of play style. i just mostly ignore those anyway.

what is the difference between this and the first question. this confuses me.

there is plenty being done, just because you can not see it happen doesn't mean nothing is being done. The fact of the matter is there are billions of people in the world. Everyone does what they do. Those that choose the life as a bot exploiting what they can before they are banned, are just other people that do what they know. bots will always be around, no questions about that. it is how us as the player base reports and reacts to them that counts. These days it is more difficult to tell a bot from player sometimes, because even some players act like bots to some degree. And visa-versa.

...the number of steps you have to take to report a bot? Really that's absurd from a player's perspective, where does your money go when you pay for this game?
it really is not that difficult like someone else mentioned, it is not the reporting that is difficult, it is the recognizing a bot from a player that is the hard part. Reporting easy, spotting not so much.

...the fact that while you're sleeping, countless players are edging ahead through illicit methods?
They do what they do, i don't play a game to worry about what others are doing while i sleep. i have enough worries about my own characters to even bother about something so trivial. Think karma. plus this is iro. There are people all around the world, not just in one hemisphere of it.

is they have that said requirement then i guess i wouldn't be joining would i? no. I join the ones that i can or make my own to ward off the ones i don't like getting guild recruits from...

...the paranoia that even your guild members might be botting on an alternate account?
paranoia from a bot. Are you serious. *shakes head* i don't like botters... But some "litter bots" do leave behind loot that i could sell. Do i care, no. If i know for sure that a person is botting i will report them, but as i have said, it is the spotting that matters..

yes it is annoying.

see above. it happens, but this does not stop me from playing.

...poor map designs? Only a handful are worthwhile and everyone converges to it.
*shakes head* you obviously have a high end computer. if you don't the you really don't even know ro with that statement. it is not the maps, although i personally like them, it is the community that draws quite a few people in.

This isn't a MMORPG, this is a simMMORPG/tactical botfare. When was the last time grinded and thought, "Oh man, this is fun!" and not just because of sheer will, addiction, angst, you-name-it?
grinding is fun when you have something in mind to grind for. people just don't wake up one day and say ok let's go do this for a while till i bleed, at least not without reason or a goal in mind behind it. And no it is not a sim. if you want a sim go to maxis oriented games or some sports game. sure there are other types, but a MMORPG is just that. there is no sim variety from it. This is a long time old standing game that apparently has survived for quite a while, and apparently many people are still drawn to it.

I have played many other MMORPG's and most of them there is hardly a community even like the one on ro. it stands out from all the rest. I mean look at for example WoW. That has a different perspective and community all on it's own, but also is not as old as ro. So yeah sure things are pretty, but doesn't truly compare to ro. it is like trying to compare an old stereo to a new box that does everything you need... i know that is somewhat exaggeration, but my point is even if they are both similar in the fact both are MMORPG doesn't mean it can be compared on the same level. Most are 3d environments which take up a lot of resources and/or just need a top of the line computer. Now it is because this is a 2d/3d game that makes it able to run on the low end ones. it has good graphics considering that fact.

I don't know but this seems pointless to even wonder about. if you have to ask these question i have to wonder why...

#9 Pheerless

Pheerless

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

if your not having fun don't play simple as that dude. you are responsible for you its not a bots fault your not at least 75 or have the gear you want after this server being out this long.

if you don't feel like your time invested is fun or you feel its a waste of time than it is and its not a bots fault you feel that way.

#10 RickC

RickC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

How do you not have a level 80+ character yet? That shouldn't even be on the list of complaints. If you play for 4~5 hours a day since the server went live you are easily 90+ by now.

#11 MegaEdge

MegaEdge

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 845 posts
  • LocationSt-Jérôme, QC.
  • Server:Poring

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

dude nobody is forcing you to play Classic you can jump on Ymir there's almost no bots at all there.

#12 Magefist

Magefist

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 953 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

How do you deal with...

LMFAO. Please don't stop trolling, this made me laugh.

#13 Tamorr

Tamorr

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

How do you not have a level 80+ character yet? That shouldn't even be on the list of complaints. If you play for 4~5 hours a day since the server went live you are easily 90+ by now.

not true. i have been playing that much, since the start of classic. even with all the dc problems. i only have 1 character, a merch. still have not gotten job 50, nor am i level 80+.

you can not say i am not leveling in the wrong places either, it is more like i am leveling in places that i can handle and don't die as often.

so not everybody or every class can make 80+ that quickly. i can understand some classes, but the key word to get places is finding a party anyhow, which i myself have trouble finding. besides i like my progression daily... at least a level a day so far...

*shakes head* some people are more resourceful than others...

#14 mintypudding

mintypudding

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1306 posts
  • Server:Your Mom

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

All the issues you listed are undeniably prominent on this server, and it's bothering me as well, to the point of myself just going on a hiatus until something - absolutely anything - gets better. But the majority of players remain because they get a chance to experience pre-renewal again, and I don't think bots or server stability will lead them to quit, especially after all the time they've put into their characters. That's the whole purpose of Classic, right?

Also, anyone saying you're trolling is just plain ignorant.

#15 Shionxoxo

Shionxoxo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

..the number of disconnects during map change?

These are the only real problems right now which I cannot deal with. Unless you're staying on one map for a long period of time without logging out any buffslaves, you will be forced to take long breaks several times a day because the map/char/whatever server is down and needs to be restarted.

#16 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

• ...the number of gold farming bots?
I don't. I don't run into them when I'm playing because they don't go to the same level areas that I do.

• ..the number of player bots?
I get them banned.

• ...the fact that not enough is done about them?
I learned to ignore it, so there are actually people to play with.

• ...the number of steps you have to take to report a bot? Really that's absurd from a player's perspective, where does your money go when you pay for this game?
You only have to provide the map name/char name. Anything else is just extra help for the GMs.

• ...the fact that while you're sleeping, countless players are edging ahead through illicit methods?
I remind myself that they are bad and that I am having fun.

• ...guilds that recruit characters over 75/80, encouraging you to use said illicit methods?
By running a fully legit guild of my own.

• ..the paranoia that even your guild members might be botting on an alternate account?
I don't experience this. Most guildies are very open about how they level / gain zeny.

• ..the number of disconnects during map change?
I remind myself how lucky we are to have classic and the circumstances under which it came to be.

• ..the number of disconnects during just-about-everywhere-at-anytime?
Not experiencing many random DCs. Maybe like once a week.

• ..poor map designs? Only a handful are worthwhile and everyone converges to it
Nope.

• This isn't a MMORPG, this is a simMMORPG/tactical botfare. When was the last time grinded and thought, "Oh man, this is fun!" and not just because of sheer will, addiction, angst, you-name-it?
I had so much fun being retarded and mobbing up prison with my guildies last night. We were talking crap on vent and calling eachother names (jokingly) and had a lot of fun! That's what it's about imo.

Edited by Xellie, 31 July 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#17 RickC

RickC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

not true. i have been playing that much, since the start of classic. even with all the dc problems. i only have 1 character, a merch. still have not gotten job 50, nor am i level 80+.

you can not say i am not leveling in the wrong places either, it is more like i am leveling in places that i can handle and don't die as often.

so not everybody or every class can make 80+ that quickly. i can understand some classes, but the key word to get places is finding a party anyhow, which i myself have trouble finding. besides i like my progression daily... at least a level a day so far...

*shakes head* some people are more resourceful than others...

I feel like you could have made a merchant faster than that, you should be able to mob level with cart revolution.

#18 Skadufax

Skadufax

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

YAY !!
The GM is above, let's ask her !!!

Posted Image

??? =(

Sad, my friend... it seems that only few ppl are concerned with this...
GMs prefer to say how hard the situation is...

For example:
I was wondering:
---
Q: How about a public zenny ranking, to see how much everyone has, and we can easily see players who bought illegal zennies? (100millions! in minutes! lol)
(Like in ROPD, but showing a money ranking)
The answer would be something like: Impossible!!
---
Q: How about incentivate ppl to reject whisper from Spam Bots, and if it reaches 10-20 rejections, he will be perma muted... it can be reversed if he become 1st class, and will be perma muted again if it happens to be rejected again.
A: Impossible. Hell no.
---
Q: How about a botcheck test?.... 0.1% of chance to call up a window with a multiple choice silly test, with a question that changes each day, and you have 1 min to answer or be jailed?
(The second RO server i played on my life, eradicated bot problem with the system i said above. In a blink of eyes,, and if you fail by a mistake, a simple SS could prove you wasn't a bot , since GM has the logs)
A: Are you crazy?!? Impossible
---
Q: How about spawn monsters with endless HP. Everytime you attack him, a messega appear: "This is a botcheck monster, please, stop to attack it or you will be jailed". With 10 or 100 attacks he is jailed, no matter how many attacks since the bot won't stop.
(I took some pics of a problematic goblin archer, that was born in a cell impossible to reach and bots kept trying attack him for various minutes, untill teleporting when HP was down)
A: No man, you don't understand nothing! Impossible!
---
Q: What about a mass teleportation of everyone in a map the GM choose, except the ones with chat and shop open, In maps with 10+ people? At the map where everyone was sent, there would be some kind of test. And the GM just need to watch everyone's performance.
The test could be something like:
*appears yellow sentence at screen*
"This is a bot test, in order to get out, please, follow the instructions"
--->Okay, there is something i thought: (it can be something esle)
Posted Image
- Players are teleported to the blue ball -
Instructions: "follows the footsteps, till reach a room with 4 NPCs, Talk to the NPC who is green to be teleported to the other side" (treat npc by caracteristic, not name, to avoid bot programation)
When you reach second part: "Now, Step on the green square and talk to the only human npc"
When done, there would be a exp reward, so it could be a botcheck event kinda waited for all.

I don't know if its possible....
and try to make the bot think he still on the map he was, and spawn some mobs to see who will obsessively attack.
Once again: GM just need to watch everyone's performance.. to notice who really is afk.
If you get jailed, you're send to jail and appear "you was jailed for suspicion of being a bot, if you have no fault, take pics as soon as you can, and show us to prove innocence. If GMs record the action, should be nice to see if the statement of innocence, was true or not.
Q: Is it possible?
A: Are your mind regular?!? That's colossally impossible.
----
Q: What about, a command to add a player name to the list of the suspicious of botting, dont need to explain nothing, just do it and he will have his name on list. so far, okay, he wont be checked. but if he is accused of bot various times and reach the top of the list, to easy the GMs job, so they can investigate the ones with highest ranking and dont lose time in vain.
A: You, my dear, are crazy crazy.
----
P.S. There's a war going on outside: Corrupt players X Honorable players, Must fight with all weapons possible, no time to preserve privacy if there is people making you a fool. YES, A FOOL. To spend hours of the day PLAYING, the same hours that you would be doing tons of other things, you PLAY to lvl hard, and get items with difficulty, and corruption(use of bot is against the rule, right?!?) take care of the server because everyone wants WIN so hard, instead of PLAY.
The game was made to PLAYERS, not bots or other 3rd party programs and was not made to be a source of real life money. IF PEOPLE FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT, WE HAVE GM TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.... that's why we get so frustrated... GM can pass by my side, hunting bots, 1000000 times, if all the 1000000 times he passed invisible, it wont support my faith, its like nothing... and due to the high number of ppl botting, throw down even more the rest of faith i had on GMs....
----
I never used bot and never will, i dont think it's right to be an-_- just because you're hidden behind a pixel char. And i want to PLAY the game... and i've never reported someome for doing it because Im here to PLAY the game, and not do GM's job. (i tryed once and its not only 5 mins to report, took more, and i gave up on the end)
----
Im new here, so, doesn't need to post Willie Wonka's pic to me, since you know now.
From my humble point of view, these solutions seems plausible, im sorry if its not, and forgive me.
Really sorry for my english, Its not my main language and i had to write and draw this on a rush..
I hope not to have broken some rule.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Inubashiri isn't a GM. She's a forum moderator.

#20 Skadufax

Skadufax

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

if your not having fun don't play simple as that dude. you are responsible for you its not a bots fault your not at least 75 or have the gear you want after this server being out this long.

if you don't feel like your time invested is fun or you feel its a waste of time than it is and its not a bots fault you feel that way.

o.O

You would be the greatest father, if your son, about to suicide, decided to ask you some advices to solve his problems.

#21 Skadufax

Skadufax

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Inubashiri isn't a GM. She's a forum moderator.

Okay, thx for the information :}

But, there are any chance of what i said, reach a GM?!?
Sorry, but like i said, im new here. =/

#22 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

A lot of these ideas have been suggested in the past, but there's nothing wrong with people suggesting ideas for improving the game. We have specific areas where people can do it (a rant thread in Community chat is not the best place), but we do have a classic suggestion area http://forums.warppo...ic-suggestions/

o.O

You would be the greatest father, if your son, about to suicide, decided to ask you some advices to solve his problems.

Zing!

#23 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

..the number of disconnects during map change?

These are the only real problems right now which I cannot deal with. Unless you're staying on one map for a long period of time without logging out any buffslaves, you will be forced to take long breaks several times a day because the map/char/whatever server is down and needs to be restarted.

We are aware of the annoying dc issue and have been reporting it to kRO and checking ourselves, but it's something that we are working on.

#24 Balthi

Balthi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 763 posts
  • LocationVeins, Arunafeltz
  • Server:Chaos (Ygg), Classic

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

YAY !!
The GM is above, let's ask her !!!

??? =(

Sad, my friend... it seems that only few ppl are concerned with this...
GMs prefer to say how hard the situation is...

Inubashiri is not a GM. Inubashiri is a CM -- a Community Moderator. A GM -- Game Manager -- is the one you would want to... pitch your ideas to.

Anyone with a yellow title will be a CM, not a GM, whose title will be in red.

Edited by Balthi, 31 July 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#25 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well since you asked.

---
Q: How about a public zenny ranking, to see how much everyone has, and we can easily see players who bought illegal zennies? (100millions! in minutes! lol)

No. You would just be painting a bulls eyes on people.
---
Q: How about incentivate ppl to reject whisper from Spam Bots, and if it reaches 10-20 rejections, he will be perma muted... it can be reversed if he become 1st class, and will be perma muted again if it happens to be rejected again.

There is already nospam, find the guide in my siggie. Done.
---
Q: How about a botcheck test?.... 0.1% of chance to call up a window with a multiple choice silly test, with a question that changes each day, and you have 1 min to answer or be jailed?

P.server is not the same
---
Q: How about spawn monsters with endless HP. Everytime you attack him, a messega appear: "This is a botcheck monster, please, stop to attack it or you will be jailed". With 10 or 100 attacks he is jailed, no matter how many attacks since the bot won't stop.
(I took some pics of a problematic goblin archer, that was born in a cell impossible to reach and bots kept trying attack him for various minutes, untill teleporting when HP was down)

That is visible to the bots in the log console and would be easily subverted.
---
Q: What about a mass teleportation of everyone in a map the GM choose, except the ones with chat and shop open, In maps with 10+ people? At the map where everyone was sent, there would be some kind of test. And the GM just need to watch everyone's performance.
The test could be something like:
*appears yellow sentence at screen*
"This is a bot test, in order to get out, please, follow the instructions"
--->Okay, there is something i thought: (it can be something esle)
Posted Image
- Players are teleported to the blue ball -
Instructions: "follows the footsteps, till reach a room with 4 NPCs, Talk to the NPC who is green to be teleported to the other side" (treat npc by caracteristic, not name, to avoid bot programation)
When you reach second part: "Now, Step on the green square and talk to the only human npc"
When done, there would be a exp reward, so it could be a botcheck event kinda waited for all.

I don't know if its possible....
and try to make the bot think he still on the map he was, and spawn some mobs to see who will obsessively attack.
Once again: GM just need to watch everyone's performance.. to notice who really is afk.
If you get jailed, you're send to jail and appear "you was jailed for suspicion of being a bot, if you have no fault, take pics as soon as you can, and show us to prove innocence. If GMs record the action, should be nice to see if the statement of innocence, was true or not.

Not impossible, but seriously do you wanna start warping people out who might be partied traveling to a place to level, have timed items on, might be AFK regening? Not to mention the over complicated nature of this and placing and insane amount of more responsibility to the GM in question.

----
Q: What about, a command to add a player name to the list of the suspicious of botting, dont need to explain nothing, just do it and he will have his name on list. so far, okay, he wont be checked. but if he is accused of bot various times and reach the top of the list, to easy the GMs job, so they can investigate the ones with highest ranking and dont lose time in vain.

An in-game reporting option is already being developed. But I have serious doubts about it, for reasons of abuse.

----
I never used bot and never will, i dont think it's right to be an-_- just because you're hidden behind a pixel char. And i want to PLAY the game... and i've never reported someome for doing it because Im here to PLAY the game, and not do GM's job. (i tryed once and its not only 5 mins to report, took more, and i gave up on the end)

Thats some support for the game there...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users