• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Needless to say I'm relatively new to the Assassin class. What I'm trying to figure out is, is it worth it building for crit in classic? and if so what are the pros and cons? I mean this as opposed to going chick hat + whatever. Because at the moment, I'm using a chick hat and a trip saharic jur and it's doing wonders (I know that if I really wanted to see big yellow numbers I'd be using daggers, but that's neither here nor there :P). I can only imagine what I could do once I can get some elemental jurs slotted and put in the appropriate element card (or just finish making my endow slave).

But all this leads me to wondering, is it worth it making a crit build? And if so, for what situations? Only when facing high def. monsters/really high flee monsters? Is there any other bonus that I'm missing because (thanks to me asking whether a trip crit jur would be worth it thread yesterday) I realize I'm doing way more damage in Byalan right now with my weapon than I would be with a trip crit jur. Is there some sort of benefit I'm missing or something that makes it totally worth it with some katars and/or gear that is either in the game now or in future patches? As it stands now, I can't imagine giving up my chick hat + elemental/race specific jurs any time soon.

P.S. I guess while we're on the topic, I was originally planning on putting like 40-60 into luk to boost my crit a bit naturally, should I just invest that across vit/dex now instead (obviously agi and str are my primaries) if crit isn't the way to go?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Haven't started on classic just yet but from what I remeber from the old school days, chick hat + elementals make any crit look like a joke. They crit for 400-650+ with high STR and you are double attacking for several thousand a second. Put that 60 LUK into DEX instead and you will slaughter I would imagine. Somewhat theory craft, but I bet your normal attacks would outdamage a crit sin if the target is not super high defense in PvM.

Edited by Nitro, 18 August 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

The reason for it being an "Old" build is because Chick hat is accessible to everyone. Even back then, sidewinder card + Double attack ALWAYS did more damage than crit builds.

The difference being is that, with no kafra shop, you only had one choice for abusing double attack. Both Bow Rouges and Katar Assassins needed to invest ina Sidewinder card, and those costed an arm and a leg.

Crit builds were arguably easier to make with the abundance of crit boosting equipment and more plentiful cards. You don't even need alot of luck, you can get by with 9 luck and boost your crits on equipment alone.

Anyone can get a Chick hat, so Sidewinder card(while still valuable) has lost value.

#4 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

The reason for it being an "Old" build is because Chick hat is accessible to everyone. Even back then, sidewinder card + Double attack ALWAYS did more damage than crit builds.

The difference being is that, with no kafra shop, you only had one choice for abusing double attack. Both Bow Rouges and Katar Assassins needed to invest ina Sidewinder card, and those costed an arm and a leg.

Crit builds were arguably easier to make with the abundance of crit boosting equipment and more plentiful cards. You don't even need alot of luck, you can get by with 9 luck and boost your crits on equipment alone.

Anyone can get a Chick hat, so Sidewinder card(while still valuable) has lost value.

So even once trans becomes available and I become a sin x, chick hat + dex will still be the way to go over crit right? My only concern is being reliant on this piece of equipment (chick hat) without ever being able to swap it out for anything else. Maybe I'm being silly, but yea lol

#5 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

So even once trans becomes available and I become a sin x, chick hat + dex will still be the way to go over crit right? My only concern is being reliant on this piece of equipment (chick hat) without ever being able to swap it out for anything else. Maybe I'm being silly, but yea lol

There are more builds than you you think that are totally reliant on equipment. So it's not that big of a deal.

As I mentioned before, even with 1~9 luck, you can still have a Crit build as long as you had all the equipment. Example, Triple Crit Jur(3 soldier skeleton cards). Arguably, without the aid of an endow, that already limits you to 1 weapon without being able to swap weapons.

As I mentioned before, you can have a Sidewinder card to free up your headgear slots. Here's an example of one of my weapons.
Posted Image
2 Vadon Cards and a Sidewinder card, frees up my headgear slot.

Crits can do some pretty good damage as any Crit Masters will tell you as long as you don't go investing too many points in luck. Those points are way better off being invested in STR than luck. I cry every time I see a crit sin doing only 300 dmg per crit because they invested like 70 points into Luck.

This is an entirely different class but Battle Linkers and Sages with a Dagger of Counter knife doing more damage an a Crit Sin is really sad.
Example
Soul Linker with 70 str and 9 Luck vs Crit Sin with 30 str and 60 Luck.

Ofcourse, this is putting aside fun factor. Alot of people that made crit sins also never intended those characters to be main characters so they just liked seeing the crits fly.

#6 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Ah ok awesome. Yea once we can slot ele katars on classic my hope was just to get each of them slotted and fit them with the appropriate vs. ele cards. And sidewinder cards are relatively cheap, though it'd make me sad to lose out an extra 20% damage it would be nice to be able to wear something other than the chick hat lol (clearly, I've got my eyes set on all the pretty headgears in future patches :P)

#7 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

You wont "lose" out on damage if your trading a sidewinder card for a Racial/Elemental card. Double hit and all that.

For max damage, you would want

1 Side Winder card + Racial Card + Element card

Ofcourse, 1 sidewinder card + 2 Element cards would probably be easier to obtain.

#8 Reinhartd

Reinhartd

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

You wont "lose" out on damage if your trading a sidewinder card for a Racial/Elemental card. Double hit and all that.

For max damage, you would want

1 Side Winder card + Racial Card + Element card

Ofcourse, 1 sidewinder card + 2 Element cards would probably be easier to obtain.

Yea, though I've gotten lucky with drops on Classic and have gained a decent amount of zeny, I think it'd be a little too pricey at this point to be able to get enough slotted ele katars with race and ele cards for every situation, gonna start it slow with just 3x ele and a chick hat for now lol

While we're on the topic of weapons. Is it worthwhile to invest in a triple beholder jur? Not sure if there are great amount of mobs that sins normally level on (and/or party with people to level on with) to justify spending cash on making one.

#9 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm not exactly an assassin master, but looking at all the formless monsters, I don't really see anything too good. I'd rather invest in a Flora card/Draineler card weapon with Wind Endow for Anolians. Thats pretty much where all the agi classes are leveling on. Dem gators.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users