#1 PoisonEdge

PoisonEdge

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Everyone is talking about banning bots.. Unfortunately, that seems to be a bit unrealistic.. Considering everyone is reoprting them, and then they get banned, and then the person makes a whole new account and starts over.. (Since the accounts are free to make)..

Well, it seems as though some of the other RO Communities have started using Captcha's at log-in to prevent bots from logging into the servers?? You know, those annoying type in these two words to proceed things..

Just asking, how hard could that be to implement?? Then you won't need to worry as much about low-life botters?? I have friends in the game wondering if the bots are paying Grav to stick around.. Which, if you get technical, they are actually paying them for the Kafra Points they are using.. Just not a guarantee they won't get banned for botting a few days later..

I am sure this is just beating a dead horse, but I am getting tired of running around a map typing in "Bot!!", and watching half the characters log out upon saying it.. Although, according to some of the topics in here may be them DCing??

#2 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

The popular bots can get past this.

#3 Axeon

Axeon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Locationbehind a computer.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Popular bots can get past magical stones too, but that sure didn't stop the company you volunteer for from adding that item on Classic.

Not so sure I like the idea of using a captcha, but I'm fine with something along the lines of that. Personally I like the pin code system, like the one Aion has, where the numbers on the pin code are presented randomly upon each login. I doubt the GMs would add this though because they aren't the brightest or most motivated when it comes to programming.

#4 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Popular bots can get past magical stones too, but that sure didn't stop the company you volunteer for from adding that item on Classic.

Not so sure I like the idea of using a captcha, but I'm fine with something along the lines of that. Personally I like the pin code system, like the one Aion has, where the numbers on the pin code are presented randomly upon each login. I doubt the GMs would add this though because they aren't the brightest or most motivated when it comes to programming.

You confuse the GMs with developers, GMs don't do that sort of thing. iRO has only one developer and typically he's not responsible for those types of things, place your criticism towards kRO my friend.

#5 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I "Love" how people keep blaming the regular GMs for bot prevention when the blame has always ben kROs side of things.

#6 Axeon

Axeon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Locationbehind a computer.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

You confuse the GMs with developers, GMs don't do that sort of thing. iRO has only one developer and typically he's not responsible for those types of things, place your criticism towards kRO my friend.

Perhaps it was misleading, but I'm not confused. I use the word GM as a general term meaning someone who is responsible for / in control of the game.

Let's talk about a "big RO family" since it's rather tiring watching the whole "kRO is responsible for us" facade. Let kRO represent the parents and iRO represent their child/teenager. Let's also call programming a job and jRO their 30 year old child. If a young child breaks a vase then sure the parents are responsibile for the child, and subsequently his/her actions since the child is not independent, but the child still holds some responsibility for breaking the vase. While at the end of the day it's true that the child still has to answer to the parents, and sure the parents are still responsible for providing the child with guidance, but that doesn't excuse the child from eventually having to grow up and take on responsibilities of their own. iRO is starting to grow a little too old to still be sleeping next to mommy and daddy, and eventually iRO is going to have to grow up and take on responsibilities of their own like finding a job unless they wish to be deemed pathetic by others sometime in the future. (Heck I'm already there.) The problem is that iRO is too afraid to obtain permission to do anything on their own, so they justify their lack of action by saying "I can't disagree with my parents, I have to make sure I have their permission first."

Take jRO for example. jRO has grown into a well rounded adult, who has made enough money to financially support itself. By finding a job and being successful at it, jRO has gained enough money to earn not only independence, but also respect from their parents. They have basically moved out from their parents home, but still keep in contact with them, which is what iRO needs to do.

Botting is a serious issue that greatly affects the health of Ragnarok, specifically of iRO, and what iRO fails to realize is that they are responsibile for dealing with the issues on their side of the world. I really thought this was undeniably obvious, but apparently a lot of people don't understand this basic fact: kRO is in Korea and iRO is in America. Neither side has any business dictating what is best for the other side's playerbase as they live in different cultures and have a different playerbase. Mwrip summed this up well when he said, "localizing a game does NOT just mean translating the text."

So yeah, unlike your sense of responsibility, my criticism is propery placed.

I "Love" how people keep blaming the regular GMs for bot prevention when the blame has always ben kROs side of things.

Read the last paragraph of my reply to Inubashiri. On top of that from what I hear kRO has dealt with their botting problem...so how exactly is it the responsibility of Korea to clean up iRO's mess, when the whole reason iRO was established was to deal with affairs in that region of the world?

#7 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

No one person involved with Gravity is more aware or concerned about botting than me but blaming the GMs for it is short sighted and ill-placed anger looking to blame anyone. They have no control over the development code wise, they don't even have the source code and are not allowed to change any of it from client to server source code in terms of binary stuff. My original statement still holds, kRO built the game and maintains it, they are the ones that need to address the problem instead of sticking their fingers in their ears and humming really loud. jRO has permission we do not, there is no comparison.

#8 Aleksii

Aleksii

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Server:Loki

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

I see no reason to not use captchas to log in, and it could thin out bot use. Sure, some will get through. But it makes them work harder for it. Thus, it seems to me a good idea. Nothing difficult was ever attained without effort, and putting forth attempts is the first step. You have my support.

Edited by Aleksii, 16 October 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#9 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

kRO had captcha and it was still circumvented, don't know if it still does. CAPTCHA can be overcome very easily trust me. Also its historically true that when something major like that is added to the game, it always griefs players and/or causes more problems than it solves.

#10 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

I see no reason to not use captchas to log in, and it could thin out bot use. Sure, some will get through. But it makes them work harder for it. Thus, it seems to me a good idea. Nothing difficult was ever attained without effort, and putting forth attempts is the first step. You have my support.

it doesn't work on any other RO server, all it would is annoy this community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users