Classic Character server stability feedback - Foundry Archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic Character server stability feedback

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Greetings, it has been a few months since Classic server launched, and during that time there was a build issue with the character server that caused it to lose connection to the characters thus causing a disconnection when players changed maps. We put in a short term "mitigation" by restarting the character server forcibly every 30 minutes. While this would cause players to DC when they move maps again, it had the effect of making sure the up-time of the character server was high (down for 20 seconds or so per hour) instead of possible "hours of no one can login" until we manually restart it once we were made aware the server was down.

This was a frustrating, but necessary, mitigation technique. Aside from talking with the development team to fix the server so that it wouldn't lose connection randomly we also spoke with some of our players who have worked with us in the past with the nospam stuff. It took a while to get everything ironed out and working, but as of last Saturday, the 6th of October, we were able to fully implement our "Better temporary" solution. Now the character server will only be restarted when it is actually down, which instead of every restarting every 30 minutes or so it is only restarting about once a day or so. This has increased the playability and enjoyability on Classic quite a bit, and I want to thank those 2 that have been instrumental in making that possible while the development team figures out the why and fixes it.

I can't say their names because I don't want them being harassed for being helpful, but they certainly know who they are, and I want them to know that their efforts are appreciated.

If you are happy that the frequent disconnections when moving maps is mostly solved, then let us know!

#2 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Yes, it is much appreciated! <3

#3 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I've noticed it being much better, thank you!

#4 unkewlx

unkewlx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Same gj fixing it guys, btw noticed classic servers a little laggy after latest maintenance

#5 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

lot better now. Please KEEP IT UP.
Thanks

#6 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

very nice

#7 AratusX

AratusX

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

While it is very much appreciated that players are willing to use their knowledge of the game to help fix nagging issues, does anyone else find it disconcerting that we pour thousands of dollars of our hard earned money into the kafra shop and the dev team is completely incompetent in finding fixes to even the seemingly simplest of issues?

#8 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

While it is very much appreciated that players are willing to use their knowledge of the game to help fix nagging issues, does anyone else find it disconcerting that we pour thousands of dollars of our hard earned money into the kafra shop and the dev team is completely incompetent in finding fixes to even the seemingly simplest of issues?

There is no iRO dev team, its kRO. So you disconcerted over nothing. Also issues in software happen that are not also seemingly simple as you put it or easy to trace down.

Edited by Inubashiri, 12 October 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Onis

Onis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

No, not really. Overall anyone with a job knows how bad it would be to let your client meddle with your work.

Great to see the problem fixed -finally-.
Cheers to people who fixed it~ )o/ Must have been rough, well done.

#10 AllyBB

AllyBB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I haven't been getting disconnected when switching maps, but now I get random disconnections from nothing in particiular. I may be sitting, or leveling, or vending, or just walking and I will disconnect with no lag or indication beforehand that something is wrong. It's not very frequent though, but has happened several times and only worries me because of maps that take you back to the spawn point upon log out and the server thinking your character is still logged in ("server still recognizes your previous login" message).

I'm also lagging like crazy in WoE and PvP.

I just mention this because I noticed this happened after the map change dcs were fixed (whether related or not).

Good job though!

****** Will attempt to provide more info, but it can be hard to prepare for the right moment *****

Edited by AllyBB, 18 October 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#11 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Can you tracert in when one of these attacks happen?

#12 esum

esum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

never mind came back up!

Edited by esum, 18 October 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#13 Gunkar

Gunkar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLes Écureuils
  • Server:Ygg, Valk, CLASSIC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

is the server is actually under some patching or something?

i can't log on classic

#14 myrmid00m

myrmid00m

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've started on Classic this week, and felt a crazy lag these days at normal maps.

Could u ppl tell me if this lag its currently normal or this week was a high peak?

Cuz, if its normal, im imagining at WoE, completely unplayable.

Note that im brazilian, so, if you either, plz let me know,

#15 myrmid00m

myrmid00m

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

is the server is actually under some patching or something?

i can't log on classic

maintenance

#16 bonggy

bonggy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

DC most of the time when ever i click on kafra and she dont answer just her picture..happens alot!

#17 Onis

Onis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

For the last hour I have dc'd at

19:50
20:00
20:10
20:20
20:30

My internet connection is fine otherwise. I have no lowerping/wtfast on. Another guilder from Germany says he get's the same dc's. I'm from Finland, so it could be europe thing ?

//Edit: Seems to be fine now.

Edited by Onis, 13 November 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#18 esum

esum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Lag was pretty bad for me this past woe. Was using Lowerping and had effects off. Still lagging. Wasn't this bad for 1st and 2nd official woe.

#19 killthebeast

killthebeast

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

char server down.

#20 empot676

empot676

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

i tried making a new character but it say character name already exist. like anything name i type does that. even a name like this "fasdfsdfdsfsdhfsfsfsffhngbcx" someone help me how to fix it.

#21 BIuewind

BIuewind

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Server:The Titanic

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Make sure you are using the "Classic RO" client when trying to play on the Classic server and the "Ragnarok" client when trying to play on Chaos Renewal.

#22 empot676

empot676

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Make sure you are using the "Classic RO" client when trying to play on the Classic server and the "Ragnarok" client when trying to play on Chaos Renewal.

yea i am using classic own client

#23 esum

esum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Today it was absolute -_-.

#24 Arkuss

Arkuss

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

^

very laggy WoE and sometimes with disconnect it took a while to get back online. very bad

#25 KiloZulu

KiloZulu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMY

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

9th March WoE was the laggiest ever this year. For me. So far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users