55 replies to this topic

#1 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi All,

I figure I should ask this on the forum with Monk players..

I'm considering making a Monk, basically my choice as Tank. However, seems like a majority of pub people consider Monk to be very bad, some say needs to get buffed, while others just plainly say it sucks.

Are Monks that bad? I saw on threads here that it is a viable Main Tank for raids, even some saying Maya Purple can only be tanked by Monk or Knight due to insane damage dealt.

Just want to see what current Monk players feel. I personally would like to play as a Monk, but problem is having a 50 Monk but not be able to join/do end game stuff is a little disheartening.

Thanks!

#2 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Monks are bad? Hmm.. As monk made with a body of steel, I do feel that we're lacking some things (namely at least one healing skill and a no-miss Guillotine Fist), but bad? I don't feel that's the case.

I myself have not participated in raids just because I don't feel like it (though I may in the near future), so I can't help there.

In RHDs, I've out threated other tanks plenty of times, but that's partly due to my equipment and build so I can't take full credit for that.

What I can tell you about the tanking ability of a monk is that we're best 1v1, at most 3v1. If you want to control a huge mob that just add spawned from a boss, you can grab as many as you want, but you'll need a reliable DPS or off-tank to take care of that. However, if the boss summons an add or two, that's easily tankable if you just reposition yourself for your tackle to hit for the boss and the add.

Depending specifically what you want to know, information can be provided.

Edited by Rukaroa, 27 June 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#3 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hmm, I know by looking at the skills, utility wise, the Monk is lacking. Mostly personal buffs and everything, not party support.

So based on what you are saying, the dps of a Monk isn't that bad in terms of tank then? Despite equipment, I think that still has its own merits by itself.

I suppose viability of a Monk at end game is what is my most concern. I've played against them on Colo and while it's tough for them, but I do like that they are so tough in there. What about PvE? Farming or other sorts?

And yes, I do wish you get to keep some sort of heal being a former acolyte and all.

Thanks for the response.

#4 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

Monks need buffs. No stuns outside G-fist, no slows, no party buff, no sustain, high cooldown for G-Fist, and lack of AGI on gear (might be fixed for AGI soon).

Every other tank can do something that makes them more desired. The only thing monks have is high initial burst for sustaining their threat and the best defensive move. Plus not to mention we take up Priest and Assassin chance at tokens, both which are vital classes for raids.

Edited by Meconopsis, 27 June 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Kayther

Kayther

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Also the Gfist stun stuns you as result, so its like no stun at all 3sec of animation of you doing nothing while even Missing, and not epic enough with out letter showing xD

#6 Kayther

Kayther

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

i mean monks used to be feared at pvp :/ and now in colo we suck

#7 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

They're arguably the best at being main tank. If you're talking about PvP based on Colosseum, pretty much every tank class is at a disadvantage. :wah:

You guys do have a reliable gap closer though... while Knights and Beastmasters have their bugged moments, and Warriors have to deal with position lag, Monks just teleport right up their target's face.

#8 Skyton

Skyton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFrance (62)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Monk need a buff yeah, but well I enjoy the class and it's the more important for me.
And in colo i've an average of round 4 per colo. The Pvp depend of player skill :)

#9 JustGabe

JustGabe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

If only Monks had Renovatio, they would be a broken class :p_laugh:

#10 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

If only Monks had Renovatio, they would be a broken class :p_laugh:

Maybe not necessarily broken, you'd still need a dedicated support for tough situations. But for an average monk with 300-400 Magic Attack from all that INT we get, that's a good 66-88 HP/2s for a lv3 Renovatio (396-528 over 12s). That's more than enough to make you last forever on a farming run.

Edited by Rukaroa, 28 June 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#11 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Monks need buffs. No stuns outside G-fist, no slows, no party buff, no sustain, high cooldown for G-Fist, and lack of AGI on gear (might be fixed for AGI soon).

Every other tank can do something that makes them more desired. The only thing monks have is high initial burst for sustaining their threat and the best defensive move. Plus not to mention we take up Priest and Assassin chance at tokens, both which are vital classes for raids.

Even that GFist stun is a little broken isn't it? Seems like after animation and everything you get like 0.5s stun out of target. And the whole missing utility for party as well... if Flee was a party buff for increase dodge % or something >_<

The missing Agl also makes Crit Monks hurt and flee would be much better as well if complimented with some Agl for dodge.

Should've had some form of healing left.. Monk are former Acolytes...

#12 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

If they had any form of self-healing they would be amazing for grinding. Would want!

#13 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, it won't be overpowered in anyway, I mean Beastmasters have a heal as a nice utility, hp % heal <3

#14 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

If they had any form of self-healing they would be amazing for grinding. Would want!

Play a bear? :p_smile:

#15 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, it won't be overpowered in anyway, I mean Beastmasters have a heal as a nice utility, hp % heal <3

Bears have hp but no defensive stats

Monks are quite sturdy. In Raids or Dungeons I have no trouble surviving even when things get nasty.
They are a semi underrated class. You definitely need to be 50 to enjoy the full power of all your skills.
A few bothersome things I've noted
  • No CC outside of Guillotine MISS. Even with the stun you can get 1 additional attack of if you're lucky.
  • Even with the Cooldown refresher the duration of Either Ki Protection or Flee need to be increased. Mostly Flee. Shorter CD and good scaling but even then it's still pretty weak and maxing it gimps you for something else.
  • Cooldown refresher does not reset Intimidation (Monk Provoke)
  • Lightning Walk usually puts you on the side of a target and doesn't actually hit it.
But I suppose all classes have glitchy things. It's just that our greatest damage and utility skills are buggy and unreliable.
Equipment, especially endgame, is quite unforgiving. Monk gear scaling is perhaps the worst amongst tank classes. It's almost as if they completely dropped their design scheme.
  • Yes we have dual damage stat but compared to War/BM/Knight their STR will give more ATK than our INT/STR combined on gear of the same tier.
  • Being a Cloth Armor class we get the least defense on gear. Seems fair right? Well on top of that we get NO AGI whatsoever. BM, wearing light armor, gets double the AGI and Half of the additional DEF of Knight and War per slot piece. Monks should get triple the AGI since we get none of the bonus DEF. We're wearing cloth after all
  • Monks, having the lightest armor, gain the same amount of Dodge and Parry that other Tank classes get, despite our lack of other stats. We don't have a self heal and our skills are great, but have short durations. We basically live on Iron Skin and Steel Body. With no additional damage avoidance and lack of AGI our gear is underwhelming when compared to other tank gear. Having the lowest base dodge in the game doesn't help either. it's pretty frustrating when every class can dodge your Guillotine Fist while you eat every attack casting it with the pitiful 2% dodge rate.
And yet I still love the class and it's arguably the best Main Tanking class in the game. I can understand balancing being a tough task but I would still like to see some quality of life adjustments made.

That's my 2 cents

#16 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Play a bear? :p_smile:

I am eventually! :p_laugh: (After the Noels are released of course!)

Edited by Meconopsis, 28 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#17 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

All these posts are nicely encouraging, I can see where the downs are, but seems like a lot of Monk enjoys their time being Monk despite the shortcomings and issues. I'm considering of raising one now, and hopefully will enjoy it as well. Thanks~ :p_hi:

#18 701130514115257950

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

And yet I still love the class and it's arguably the best Main Tanking class in the game.

Edited by 701130514115257950, 24 August 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#19 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

So I just uploaded my first raid for referencing purposes.

Warning: Extreme raid noobery from myself.

http://www.youtube.c...rG_3cv4E0TVpeZF

Edited by Rukaroa, 29 June 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#20 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

and BTW any raid/party in the game will prefer a KNIGHT/WARRIOR with 10% STR BUFF over this cool looking monk guy that does nothing.

With that being said - i love Monks.. they are super awesome in theory! but FACE THE FACTS for the time being its NOT A GOOD CLASS FOR ANYTHING pvp/colo/pve/farming/soloing/grinding/whatever - its all bad.

rest my case thx, peace.

I don't know.. The monks I raid with are solid, and I like them as much as the knight and warrior tanks in the guild.

Physical DPS like that STR buff, but it's not like we'd have a combination of monk+monk or monk+BM for main+offtanking. There's always going to be a knight or warrior in that combination, so there should always be a STR buff available.

As for being bad at PVP/Colo, I don't know about that either. I see that one monk named Monk champ a lot, and I hear he wrecks people in duels.

#21 JustGabe

JustGabe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

No dude.. its not.

Monks are bad kids.. just accpet it for now. i know i know they look and act super cool + they were awesome in RO1

BUT no AGI on gears (in korean server they get AGi btw) and bugs + no def + no heal + low dmg + misses = you must be joking right?

and BTW any raid/party in the game will prefer a KNIGHT/WARRIOR with 10% STR BUFF over this cool looking monk guy that does nothing.

With that being said - i love Monks.. they are super awesome in theory! but FACE THE FACTS for the time being its NOT A GOOD CLASS FOR ANYTHING pvp/colo/pve/farming/soloing/grinding/whatever - its all bad.

rest my case thx, peace.

Fact: Monks are the 2nd best tankers in the game. Proof of that is that only Knights and Monks can Tank a Maya Purple, the other tanking classes can't. As for colo, I've seen a couple of Monks making 1st place, in the end it's all about skills.

Edited by JustGabe, 29 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#22 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Monks have amazing defense. They just need better gear scaling or something that makes more usage of their INT/Magic Power stat.

Edited by Meconopsis, 29 June 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#23 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Then how about something like make Asura Strike have another x% of Damage, depending for your Magic Power...? It's something that has been on my mind all this time...

Also:
+1 for AGI on Monks equips
+1 for stun effect with Lighting Walk

#24 SuperGlue

SuperGlue

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • LocationOceania (servers are sooo far away)
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

+1 for AGI
+1 for stun
+1 for TSS Slow

but we all know WP will be too busy releasing temporary costumes to ever bother about Monks Posted Image

#25 Pooksie

Pooksie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

We are actually insanely good at Tanking. (which is what we were made for.)

But seeing how the best gear comes from Colo for like forever, we're pretty much screwed left and right since we're arguably the worste colo class out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users