Monk, underrated or needs buff? - Page 2 - Acolyte - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Monk, underrated or needs buff?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

No dude.. its not.

Monks are bad kids.. just accpet it for now. i know i know they look and act super cool + they were awesome in RO1

BUT no AGI on gears (in korean server they get AGi btw) and bugs + no def + no heal + low dmg + misses = you must be joking right?

and BTW any raid/party in the game will prefer a KNIGHT/WARRIOR with 10% STR BUFF over this cool looking monk guy that does nothing.

With that being said - i love Monks.. they are super awesome in theory! but FACE THE FACTS for the time being its NOT A GOOD CLASS FOR ANYTHING pvp/colo/pve/farming/soloing/grinding/whatever - its all bad.

rest my case thx, peace.

You so cray.

If Monk is MT Knight or War can be OT if you must have the STR buff.
No AGI sucks but bad gear scaling sucks more. I still don't have threat problems from my dps. The proximity threat bug is an issue though. Monk damage is good too. Not as good as it could be because poor scaling and lack of AGI but more than enough due to high base stats and good rotations.

Colo Monks have a hard time because they need all their skills. Level 4/5 in LW is a must for snipes and escapes. Accessories make things easier and the weapon makes it almost too easy. I've recently bought the colo top and get to final round twice a day. If I bought the weapon or Guillotine wasn't so buggy I'd have a few champs. Still there isn't much you can do when there are multiple sorcs/wiz/rangers in last round.

Honestly if monk gear was fixed it would be the most OP tank class and I am fine with that.

EDIT: Grammer and spelling.

Edited by DatMONKey, 29 June 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#27 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

+1 for AGI
+1 for stun
+1 for TSS Slow

but we all know WP will be too busy releasing temporary costumes to ever bother about Monks Posted Image

My FEELS!!! They hurt!!!
Joke aside, WP is doing a good job in other things, but I hope to see an awesome balancing for the Monk (I want moar AGI).

We are actually insanely good at Tanking. (which is what we were made for.)

But seeing how the best gear comes from Colo for like forever, we're pretty much screwed left and right since we're arguably the worste colo class out there.

I agree with you in the tanking department, but I disagree in the Colo thing. While is true that we have way too much disadvantages on PvP, we can achieve pretty good things with our skills as players. (I have a Monk lvl 33, and I do Colo once in a while... I always die on the 3rd Round unfortunately...)

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 29 June 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#28 Pooksie

Pooksie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

There´s no reason to brag about having an easy time on your monk. 
The truth is you have to do alot more trouble then those Sorcs, Rangers and whatever have to do.

#29 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm not bragging about having an easy time with my Monk on Colo (which I don't have, by the way). I'm just saying that the things in Colo depends more in your skills (for Kill Stealing, unfortunately) and, what kind of enemies you fight.

EDIT: Anyways, back on topic: I was thinking in some sort of sustain skill for the Monk, something like this

Absorb Spirit Sphere: You consume all your spirit spheres to recover some part of your HP based on you Max. HP. The amount of HP healed is determined by x% of your Max. HP and the number of sphere you spent.

So, what do you think?

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 03 July 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#30 Kyrioskadi

Kyrioskadi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'm not bragging about having an easy time with my Monk on Colo (which I don't have, by the way). I'm just saying that the things in Colo depends more in your skills (for Kill Stealing, unfortunately) and, what kind of enemies you fight.

EDIT: Anyways, back on topic: I was thinking in some sort of sustain skill for the Monk, something like this

Absorb Spirit Sphere: You consume all your spirit spheres to recover some part of your HP based on you Max. HP. The amount of HP healed is determined by x% of your Max. HP and the number of sphere you spent.

So, what do you think?

- I personally don't have a 50 Monk yet, so I don't think I qualify to respond. However that does sound very good and in a way balanced? Of course need a CD so can't spam it, seeing that accumulation of spirit sphere isn't all that hard.

So I just uploaded my first raid for referencing purposes.

Warning: Extreme raid noobery from myself.

http://www.youtube.c...rG_3cv4E0TVpeZF

- I will keep notes on this, while I'm not 50 yet so can't completely relate to how Tanking as a Monk yet, but this will serve to cut some of the corners to smooth things out. 

#31 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

- I personally don't have a 50 Monk yet, so I don't think I qualify to respond. However that does sound very good and in a way balanced? Of course need a CD so can't spam it, seeing that accumulation of spirit sphere isn't all that hard.

Of course, it won't have a short cooldown to make it balanced. Besides, I just an idea I had just a while ago, but I wanted to share it with the community to have some feedback and discussion about... Although, I see your point on that.

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 03 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#32 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I support the sustain. Probably 10% per sphere over 12 sec, CD 120.

#33 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I support the sustain. Probably 10% per sphere over 12 sec, CD 120.

I like that suggestion.

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 03 July 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#34 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I also think they need to make monk knuckles give more attack power. I look everyday at warrior weapons and skills and I just get sad with my monk. Besides our lack of farming potential, our one sided role being main tank (DPS is laughable due to weapon also), and weak skills overall, we suck. I think our skills make up for it but it still sucks.

Overall we covered what monks might need
-Give Lightning Walk a stun effect.
-Give G Fist more damage or increase stun or shorten cooldown.
-Grant AGI to gear.
-Give a sustain heal over time ability.
-Improve weapon attack power.

As of now, why bother taking monks to CoA?

#35 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

May want to consolidate all the suggestions into one thread in the proposal forums.

#36 Freakonomics

Freakonomics

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMorroc/GuildHouse/WOEmap/DWU~
  • Server:Freyja

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

They need a goddamn self heal. Little agi on their equips and a stun/slow outside G.Fist. G.Fist also stuns them due to animation. They're the only tanking class who doesn't have self heal, and to note they are former acolyte. Knight/BM/Warrior has Self heal(Though Knights have a crappy one), I don't know why monks doesn't have anything.

Edited by Freakonomics, 04 July 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#37 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

I also think they need to make monk knuckles give more attack power. I look everyday at warrior weapons and skills and I just get sad with my monk. Besides our lack of farming potential, our one sided role being main tank (DPS is laughable due to weapon also), and weak skills overall, we suck. I think our skills make up for it but it still sucks.

Overall we covered what monks might need
-Give Lightning Walk a stun effect.
-Give G Fist more damage or increase stun or shorten cooldown.
-Grant AGI to gear.
-Give a sustain heal over time ability.
-Improve weapon attack power.

As of now, why bother taking monks to CoA?

Well, the weapon attack power is compensated by the Spiritual Candence INT == 2 Attack Power, may I say... So, I don't think that our weapons need a REALLY BIG buff in attack power. Also, think about it, how the bananas a knuckle (btw, the RO2's knuckles aren't knuckles, they're something more like a armguard) is gonna have more attack power that a greatsword or a sword?! 

May want to consolidate all the suggestions into one thread in the proposal forums.

Good idea... Maybe we should ask to a CM to move the whole thread to the Proposals and Suggestions forums.

They need a goddamn self heal. Little agi on their equips and a stun/slow outside G.Fist. G.Fist also stuns them due to animation. They're the only tanking class who doesn't have self heal, and to note they are former acolyte. Knight/BM/Warrior has Self heal(Though Knights have a crappy one), I don't know why monks doesn't have anything.

Uhm... Maybe because they didn't think on a way to put it on the Monk. They could get one when (someday) the transcend class or the 3rd class appear again. (YAY!)

Also, in other thread, there are a couple of guys discussing how we can make Asura Strike better, be sure to check it out!

http://forums.warppo...needs-a-revamp/

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 04 July 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#38 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Also, think about it, how the bananas a knuckle (btw, the RO2's knuckles aren't knuckles, they're something more like a armguard) is gonna have more attack power that a greatsword or a sword?! 

It kind of depends on how it's used and on what. For instance, against an armored target a sword may just blunt itself, while knuckles may punch through. Knuckles may also allow you to put more force behind your blow (put the weight of your body behind it). Realistic swords usually don't have too much weight behind it. The blade can't be too heavy or it's going to be terribly unwieldy.

In the end it doesn't really matter that much if it's logical though, it's all just about is the power of the class balanced against other classes? I don't have a monk, so I have no idea.

#39 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

It kind of depends on how it's used and on what. For instance, against an armored target a sword may just blunt itself, while knuckles may punch through. Knuckles may also allow you to put more force behind your blow (put the weight of your body behind it). Realistic swords usually don't have too much weight behind it. The blade can't be too heavy or it's going to be terribly unwieldy.

In the end it doesn't really matter that much if it's logical though, it's all just about is the power of the class balanced against other classes? I don't have a monk, so I have no idea.

Well, I see your point, but that applies to situational combat where the outcome of the things the depends of the kind of enemy you fight, how you fight and where you land (or intend to land) your attacks. That's fine on an tabletop roleplaying... But in the case of RO2 we're always fight a "kind of generic enemy" (aside from bosses) in the terms that you can fight them in the same situations, for all the clases, over and over again.

So, under the rules of that kind of combat, the logic behind the Greatsword having more power that the Knuckles wins.

#40 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

All I know is G-Fist should do more realistically more damage than Ragestrike. Our fists are weak sauce.

#41 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

All I know is G-Fist should do more realistically more damage than Ragestrike. Our fists are weak sauce.

Well if an Asura Strike can One-shot a Baphomet... (I'm talking to you, Grand Master Je-Hoon)

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 12 July 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#42 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Well if an Asura Strike can One-shot a Baphomet... (I'm talking to you Grand Master Je-Hoon)

Give me that please! :p_love:

#43 Beren69

Beren69

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

My question is, what kind of power Warppotal has to balance classes? Can they modify skills?

Why we have wis? why 2k mana?? =(

Monks really needs some love!

#44 ffssthap

ffssthap

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

My question is, what kind of power Warppotal has to balance classes? Can they modify skills?

Why we have wis? why 2k mana?? =(

Monks really needs some love!

maybe they can but they are not doing that coz they dont know things about balance

#45 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Or they don't want to mess with that kind of things that, in the end, would mean to change many things in the core of the game.

#46 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

As much as I want to believe that, I wouldn't give the devs that much credit.

Edit : Oh? WP? I don't think they have any power in balancing skills. Just a guess though.

Edited by Rukaroa, 22 July 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#47 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well they were able to change how certain things were implemented in the game in favor for us on the Odin server although it was a very minor change. The fact is they did try and were slightly rewarded.

I wonder about class and skill changes/balancing though. I mean it's hard to tell whether a persisting issue is neglected by WP, Gravity or somewhere in between. After all the game has been out for a while now and the Monk taunt still doesn't reset with SSS.

#48 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

I wonder about class and skill changes/balancing though. I mean it's hard to tell whether a persisting issue is neglected by WP, Gravity or somewhere in between. After all the game has been out for a while now and the Monk taunt still doesn't reset with SSS.

I was actually thinking about that, and I have a suspicion. You know how BMs, swordies, and monks all have the same taunt? My suspicion is that despite the different naming for each class, those skills refer to the same code that enables all those classes to taunt. Now what SSS does is resets monk skills as per description. Since "taunt" is not a unique monk skill, per the code as in each taunt was not programmed separately for each class, "taunt" is not recognized as a monk skill and therefore SSS does not affect it.

If that's the case, that is just lazy, but keep in mind that this is just my speculation.

Regarding other balances, no comment for now.

#49 Beren69

Beren69

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I was actually thinking about that, and I have a suspicion. You know how BMs, swordies, and monks all have the same taunt? My suspicion is that despite the different naming for each class, those skills refer to the same code that enables all those classes to taunt. Now what SSS does is resets monk skills as per description. Since "taunt" is not a unique monk skill, per the code as in each taunt was not programmed separately for each class, "taunt" is not recognized as a monk skill and therefore SSS does not affect it.

If that's the case, that is just lazy, but keep in mind that this is just my speculation.

Regarding other balances, no comment for now.

That would be sooo lame ._. But its not a deal breaker anyway.

Ive heard Monk gear will have AGI on septermber patch, is that true? That would help us, critical azuras and dodge :D

#50 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Who knows. As of right now Monk is in a bad place.

Takes way to much player skill to win colo and for PvE, our tools are pitiful, but adaptable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users