Classic is fantastic! - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Classic is fantastic!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 GundamUC

GundamUC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Classic is pretty much RO on hard mode. Yet I find it easier than renewal for some reason. It's.. familiar. I mean.. it is the way I played the game for about 4 years or so lol xD. And the fact that's it's still a young server makes it even more cool, because it has great potential to grow. Any new player wishing to join the server and needs some guidance and assistance or even a player to friend and party with, feel free to msg me in-game on Vindicare(archer) or Techpriest(fs priest). Classic server is difficult and challenging but it will show new players what it was to be a "new player" back in the day lol. But now it's easier to make zeny with cash shops.. back then you had to work reeeeal hard for every zeny. LMAO  

Below I have a small story of how I came to be in this wonderful world of RO. Despite all the competition and gear/stat/skill frenzy I have yet to find the game lacking any fun value. Maybe it's because I actually like to read the lore and NPC dialogue. xD

Spoiler

#2 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

And the fact that's it's still a young server makes it even more cool, because it has great potential to grow. 

sorry to burst your bubble but classic is well over a year old and for the past months it hasn't seen an increase in population - only a gradual decline.

potential to grow, yeah maybe if several whole guilds transfer to the server. but if it's just one person joining after another, i can almost guarantee that there would be more people quitting than joining (and this is actually the case right now). the server is not newbie friendly for a lot of reasons such as bots, a not-so-good economy, and a community which isn't that welcoming. sure, there may be a few people like you who are willing to help new guys out, but come the time that they'd need someone to party with, do quests with, or w/e, they'll realize that "hey this server is fking dead." classic at its current state is pretty much a get-to-99-then-wait-for-woe server.

#3 GundamUC

GundamUC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Well.. dang. That did burst my bubble. Oh well.. I do hope it all goes well in the future for classic then. I guess I'll visit the server for nostalgic reasons then every once in a while.

#4 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

>.<

Classic has a lively community that often comes together to hang out through the day. I often can spy on various guilds just messing around at their hangouts. If you are looking for a group to play with I should suggest heading over here.

http://forums.warppo...sic-recruiting/

Many guilds are always hungry for recruits to participate in WoEing, MVPing, Endless Tower runs. Also you may want to check out the new player section http://forums.warppo...general-guides/ . Many of our more welcoming users can be found there to assist with answering questions.

sorry to burst your bubble but classic is well over a year old and for the past months it hasn't seen an increase in population - only a gradual decline.

potential to grow, yeah maybe if several whole guilds transfer to the server. but if it's just one person joining after another, i can almost guarantee that there would be more people quitting than joining (and this is actually the case right now). the server is not newbie friendly for a lot of reasons such as bots, a not-so-good economy, and a community which isn't that welcoming. sure, there may be a few people like you who are willing to help new guys out, but come the time that they'd need someone to party with, do quests with, or w/e, they'll realize that "hey this server is fking dead." classic at its current state is pretty much a get-to-99-then-wait-for-woe server.

Weshould work on making the server more welcoming to users. Perhaps you would have some suggestions on what should be covered in the training grounds: http://forums.warppo...lassic-foundry/

#5 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

*Barely over a year old.

#6 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

Come play with me and my guild Gundam! We're mostly old veteran players.

There's a few little friendly guilds too, in alde and pront. So long as you find a group of actives classic is actually pretty fun.

#7 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Weshould work on making the server more welcoming to users. Perhaps you would have some suggestions on what should be covered in the training grounds: http://forums.warppo...lassic-foundry/

yes, i know. i have suggested a few things a while back and some other people did as well. however i don't think anything's gonna change when the server is overflowing with bots and the mindset of majority of the players/guilds is just so self-centered (which btw is something like "we wanna win woe, so just deal with it if we wanna use bots/cheats or not").

sorry but gone are the days when you'd see random people in towns and you can expect to have a friendly conversation with some of them. sure, there might be a few of these people on classic but based on experience, everyone just wants to go with their guild cuz they dont trust newbies/strangers. and no dont even think about joining an "established" guild when you're new. you prolly cant join cuz they dont know you and it looks as though you're poor/weak/stupid. go talk to them when youve got a trans char that's decently geared... just hope that happens before you find yourself wanting to quit. if you get yourself in though, don't expect them to be on everytime you are. don't expect to get help from them everytime you need it. don't expect them to spend their time and supplies just to heal slave you or leech you for free. most "veterans" on classic only play during woe times and that's a really sad fact.

i just dont like people to have the wrong impression on the server. thats what happened to me and a couple of my friends and we regret spending $$ on VIP and KP. classic had a lot of promise during its first few weeks, but as of now this server is far from what we thought it was and we don't think it's gonna get anywhere near our expectations.

anyway i'll post on that training ground thread when i get to think of something to contribute there.

*Barely over a year old.

ok but i guess things would be pretty much the same 3 months from now.. unless of course some huge guilds decide to join, or suddenly there's something that the GM team is cooking up for the server, like aggressive advertising, or getting rid of ALL bots, or idk. something that will make new players want to join AND stay, and maybe get the people who quit a few months after classic was launched to play again.

Edited by 1756492860, 31 July 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#8 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

That honestly just sounds like you were playing with the wrong group for the way you'd prefer to play.

As for leeching people for free.... rather give them the resources and teach them. ugh.

#9 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yes Classic is fantastic :D The way the game was meant to be played. But yeah the social aspect is different than it was years back. Nowadays if you're new and guildless, you'll stay guildless forever unless you already know people. Back on old Loki I did have some guildless chars, and I was always getting random guild invites, but not on Classic :X And most people are too serious about it, getting to 99 trans ASAP. Understandable, most of the server are veterans that already played the game. Nobody's really up for an adventure on fields anymore. I was on the fence about playing RO more often again, but I don't think I can with the server's mentality. I was even kicked from a guild I was in for less than two weeks (non-WoE guild), and I have no idea why. I get the impression the server really isn't newbie-friendly. But as Xellie said, maybe I just haven't met the right kind of people.

#10 miliardo

miliardo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1898 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

From what I hear man I would not play just play renewal more to offer then classic

I mean can go to classic but from what I hear it's full of bots/cheaters/3rd party programs gl on decision

#11 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

if you wanted to get into WoE, I'd suggest coming and talking to valhalla.

We'd expect you to learn how to level your things (not be dependant on leeches/slaves) and loan gear/chars to make it happen.

be prewarned tho, we kick for botting.

Edited by Xellie, 31 July 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#12 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

>.<

Classic has a lively community that often comes together to hang out through the day. I often can spy on various guilds just messing around at their hangouts. If you are looking for a group to play with I should suggest heading over here.

http://forums.warppo...sic-recruiting/

Many guilds are always hungry for recruits to participate in WoEing, MVPing, Endless Tower runs. Also you may want to check out the new player section http://forums.warppo...general-guides/ . Many of our more welcoming users can be found there to assist with answering questions.

The issue Cam is at this point the server "really" can't be saved, lack of advertisment + market being horrible ( spoilers, there is no market ) and people 99ing then just logging in for WOE is what killed this server. This may not have happened had you guys never put AL3 and Thors in, but you did.

#13 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Classic suffers from a lot of problems, one of the biggest being it is a legacy product.

For example, there are many new advancements to ro's gui and graphics engine that classic will never be compatible with. This is a huge problem for a product.

Edited by Jaye, 31 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#14 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

There were plenty of problems with Classic, but right now in terms of content and playability it's fine. If we could win back some of the players that found themselves driven away in the last year or so we'd have a pretty banging server!

The biggest issue Classic had was how tightly the maps were controlled and exp was severely limited and then suddenly if you were playing during the two or three weeks that Dragonlabs was in you got yourself an easy high level trans or two with no real effort. People who got their characters had no reason to log on, people who didnt get them were put off because why cant they get their free things too and there was just a whole lot less active players doing things together.

#15 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Classic suffers from a lot of problems, one of the biggest being it is a legacy product.

For example, there are many new advancements to ro's gui and graphics engine that classic will never be compatible with. This is a huge problem for a product.

While the lack of the Renewal interface sucks, the lack of Renewal is welcome.

Although it'd be nice if they or kRO could invest resources in making the Classic server compatible with the Renewal client.

#16 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Classic is cool, the way it has been handled up until now is not and is why the server isn't as successful as it could be. I'm happy that the GMs are trying to fix it currently but I fear it might be too late. You have already driven so many players away with retarded decisions related to the server months ago.

Edited by Hrishi, 31 July 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#17 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Roundbeck

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

From what I hear man I would not play just play renewal more to offer then classic

full of bots/cheaters/3rd party programs

Classic may offer some of the same things renewal has minus the 3rd job classes, 3rd job gear, and most extended classes don't suck in classic.

Actually the same can be said for renewal, full of bots/cheaters/3rd party programs.

Edited by HikariYari, 31 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#18 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

While the lack of the Renewal interface sucks, the lack of Renewal is welcome.

Although it'd be nice if they or kRO could invest resources in making the Classic server compatible with the Renewal client.

Renewal has remote BGs queuing, navigation and monster resource system (with walk path on the map!), map icons for NPCs/quests, and many other interface changes on the way, including a direct X upgrade to the graphics engine that is rumored to significantly drop graphics-related lag in-game in WoE and complex maps. You can't really say not having game upgrades like those and new episodes to the story to look forward to isn't a caveat to classic :( It's really just proof that classic is a legacy product with no future content aside from 'events' that get old.

Given that its a dead end product it should not be a surprise that its fanbase is a select few clingers that drop over time.

Take Adobe photoshop. Its a rocking product people are happy with as it is without any new changes. If adobe stopped updating photoshop aside from creating a new paintbrush or pattern to use with it every few months, how long do you think it would take Photoshop to have a smaller market share than other rival products? Honestly?

Edited by Jaye, 31 July 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#19 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Honestly?

Honestly? I don't see why it would be difficult to retrofit current renewal code to Classic by replacing key sections of code with code that already exists.  I'm biased here though, considering that's 75% of what I do every day at work.

I view RO and Renewal like Dragon Age 1 and 2.

They're both good games on their own.

But the fact that they share a name is just absurd; they're so wildly different at the core gameplay level that they shouldn't be called the same game.  They didn't have to break down and redo every formula going from pre-trans to trans.  So why did they the next way? (Probably 'cause they content developed themselves into a corner with KvM and SM).

#20 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is pretty much what I feel. But Renewal has so many more updates, hats, and content that classic will never really see for a long time and that's also a big if. Classic barely has 20% of the items that renewal has, and is just there as a slow, long investment to reap more and more profits on the side - but will never really accuminate to anything. I feel like it is negected, and updates are slow, and it's not really pre-renewal and I doubt the gms know what to do about the server moving forward and how to manage it. But Classic was really fun in the very beginning when racing to 99 - even though kafra shop (reoccuring theme in classic!) basically ruined a lot in leveling.

#21 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Renewal has remote BGs queuing, navigation and monster resource system (with walk path on the map!), map icons for NPCs/quests, and many other interface changes on the way, including a direct X upgrade to the graphics engine that is rumored to significantly drop graphics-related lag in-game in WoE and complex maps. You can't really say not having game upgrades like those and new episodes to the story to look forward to isn't a caveat to classic :( It's really just proof that classic is a legacy product with no future content aside from 'events' that get old.

Given that its a dead end product it should not be a surprise that its fanbase is a select few clingers that drop over time.

Take Adobe photoshop. Its a rocking product people are happy with as it is without any new changes. If adobe stopped updating photoshop aside from creating a new paintbrush or pattern to use with it every few months, how long do you think it would take Photoshop to have a smaller market share than other rival products? Honestly?

Which is why there are pre-re pservers with 10k+ populations lol

Classic might be a dated product, but renewal is just a bad modern product. I couldn't keep playing a game that is never out of beta.

#22 KiloZulu

KiloZulu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

hence the fire sales, gotta squeeze that every bit of KP outta ya

#23 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

That honestly just sounds like you were playing with the wrong group for the way you'd prefer to play.

As for leeching people for free.... rather give them the resources and teach them. ugh.

not really, i said that because thats what my friends and i saw. every new player we saw in aldebaran or payon was ignored. we tried to help some but most of them left before they hit 80 trans. we couldnt always be there to help them lvl and all that. when we weren't around no one was there to party with them or slave them.

i had my own group of friends and we all quit because we had the wrong impression. we thought classic was gonna be fun, but it turned out that activities are very limited.

- mvp hunting? um sure but can we even sell mvp drops these days, aside from high end mvp loots (ifrit, bee, bishop, bio3)? there was a time when we would vend spiky bands, safety rings, and a few valk shields for cheap but no one would buy them. literally no one.

- leveling? all our characters are max level and nope we aren't making new ones cuz we don't wanna spend anymore $$ for manuals

- bg or pvp? bg is full of bots/afks, we cant even get a decent fight started. dont bother with pvp, its dead.

there are a lot more we could have done like questing and leeching for zeny. ragnarok is a great game and there are lots of interesting content, but i just couldn't see the reason to do those here on iRO classic. back in old chaos and on other servers we played, we had a sense of accomplishment when we got rare items or cards from mvps. we always felt good whenever we earned zeny through hard work. we knew we were a step closer to buying what we wanted. everything we worked for had a purpose. it meant we could pvp better, we could comp mvps better, we could last longer in woe. but on classic? get a +10 armor with a +3 stat enchant, and all +10 gears then what? get a tao card then what? who cares if you have x2 hp ON CLASSIC, does this server even matter? spend $500 to get a slotted mid, then what? ok you now have a stunproof biochemist but meh woe has only like 3 guilds participating anyway. not counting those small guilds obviously. basically you can farm and spend all you want, be the richest on the server, but all those wouldnt make much of a difference because the active population is like 100-150ish. make it maybe 200 during woe days.

so what's left was to just troll around with each other and join woe whenever possible. also the occasional helping out of newbies whom you know won't stay for long. or they'd just end up botting their characters and selling zeny for real money cuz they got so bored - yes i've seen this happen! too bad everything just got boring for us so we decided to quit. it just isn't the real classic RO we were looking for.

But as Xellie said, maybe I just haven't met the right kind of people.

with a really low population, the chances of that happening is also really low. as you said most of the people are woe-oriented and only log on for woe. even if you do get to meet people who you can hang out with, they won't be on all the time. and when they aren't around you'd feel lonely ingame, im sure. it was way different back then cuz when your friends weren't around, you could always go to south pront or any other spot for that matter, then chill with random people. or go pvp if you're into that thing, people saw pvp as a hang out area too. this is the reason why i transferred to chaos. although it has its flaws, the renewal server is much more active than classic.

Edited by 1756492860, 31 July 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#24 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Honestly? I don't see why it would be difficult to retrofit current renewal code to Classic by replacing key sections of code with code that already exists.  I'm biased here though, considering that's 75% of what I do every day at work.

I view RO and Renewal like Dragon Age 1 and 2.

They're both good games on their own.

But the fact that they share a name is just absurd; they're so wildly different at the core gameplay level that they shouldn't be called the same game.  They didn't have to break down and redo every formula going from pre-trans to trans.  So why did they the next way? (Probably 'cause they content developed themselves into a corner with KvM and SM).

Perhaps you need to talk to heim/oda/campitor/etc about that-- because last I inquired with them I was told it is impossible to use some of the renewal-age client features with classic. :(

#25 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps you need to talk to heim/oda/campitor/etc about that-- because last I inquired with them I was told it is impossible to use some of the renewal-age client features with classic. :(

I think it is impossible for iRO to do these things. It certainly isn't for kRO? So they could definitely do it if they were so inclined. Whether they would be inclined to do that is a totally different question..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users