Classic is fantastic! - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Classic is fantastic!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

It's impossible for them to do and I dont think Korea have any real interest in develop anything for anything that isnt Renewal.

There's no reason Classic still cant flourish and continue growing. It's a shame we didnt get to this place on the server earlier, but there's really no reason to encourage people to not play besides the "nobodys playing" thing, but actually getting people to play would solve that!

#27 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

It's impossible for them to do and I dont think Korea have any real interest in develop anything for anything that isnt Renewal.

There's no reason Classic still cant flourish and continue growing. It's a shame we didnt get to this place on the server earlier, but there's really no reason to encourage people to not play besides the "nobodys playing" thing, but actually getting people to play would solve that!

thats why i said if whole guilds join then it might solve the problem. or if individual people joining would stay for long. one person joining after another wouldnt work since they quit before they make any huge impact on the server.

#28 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

classic ragnarok > renewal ragnarok - no arguing that br0s

Edited by iamvrypwrful, 31 July 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#29 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

classic ragnarok > renewal ragnarok - no arguing that br0s

not for everyone. renewal is more diverse and the only people who prefer classic are those who cant adapt to renewal changes. if renewal didnt happen and gravity stopped updating ragnarok after 13.2, iRO would probably have less than 2k players on chaos. there's a reason why some chaos players who tried classic went back to renewal. it's either because the server is dead or classic gameplay is too slow for them. remember not everyone who plays RO today is a huge fanboy of old mechanics, especially those younger players who are accustomed to games with an easier and faster pace.

anyway @topic,

with the way things are right now (current management and in game community), do you think iro classic's population has a chance to go up significantly? as in from the current 600-700 to at least 1k+ once more? im talking about having more real, active players, not having 300 more bots/alts lol. if not then sorry to say but i think the server is hopeless

Edited by 1756492860, 01 August 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#30 BIuewind

BIuewind

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Server:The Titanic

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

This is probably just beating a dead horse at this point but remove the Magic Stone req for job changing. One less reason for newer players to feel like the odds are stacked against them and besides, the game only really takes off after you change to the second job, no? 

Keep them hooked in long enough first then they will stay to make you more monies and make that population count look more pretty for other, newer players. It's a Win-win situation.

#31 Easton

Easton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:24 AM

blah blah blah classic is dead blah blah blah

I just saved people some time by summarizing what this thread is about.

It is rather sad to see a server like classic--  as eff'd up as it is-- shrink into nothingness. Numbers do not lie as to what people prefer playing though, as Xellie said: 10k+ population on pre trans mid rate pservers? Ridiculous.  Same applies for renewal over classic. Renewal is the more nooblet friendly of the two. I find that if I was a new player on classic, I'd be lost.

One biggest factors that drives new players away from classic server is that damn Magical Stone for $1. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't iRO F2P? Why should a new player have to pay $$ to gain access to certain aspects of the game such as changing into their 2nd jobs? I had received countless pms from nublets asking why they had to have Magical Stones to change jobs (2-1; 2-2 or expanded-- changing to TK Kid and needing a magical stone? stupid!).

Just the little things like that are what make people play classic for xx amount of days and then leave. I hate to join the bandwagon that is of the "iRO community" by saying the classic server is beyond saving. It really is, months ago. Too bad it can't be the opposite.

#32 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

I don't think it's to the point of not being saved yet. MVP cards aren't flooding the game, levelling is fast. God Items certainly aren't saturated. There's room to compete.

I think if iRO offered a package deal to groups of 10+ players, (a month of WoE and PVM  rental gear, stacks of blue/white acc bound pots, an emperium and perhaps a full reset voucher - logic here being they can go pvm if they want and hunt gear before resetting for WoE even tho that's slower) - making a group start nice and easy on classic might encourage groups to move over. Which is what we need.

A few good videos and a little promotion. Maybe an offer of some hat on renewal if you get a Classic char to X level. And a bit of support from the classic community rather than tolling the death knell for classic when it's just about got one foot in the grave.

I honestly believe classic isn't far past being a blank slate. After all, we've held back all that stuff, haven't we? All that stuff that scares people away from starting, barely exists.

edit: All the above depends on the staff getting their heads out of their asses. Keep that in mind.

Edited by Xellie, 01 August 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#33 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

Perhaps you need to talk to heim/oda/campitor/etc about that-- because last I inquired with them I was told it is impossible to use some of the renewal-age client features with classic. :(

The Renewal server should be retrofitted to the Classic formulas, not the Classic server being fast-forwarded to the Renewal client.

A preprocessor macro that allows you to control whether the server is compiled in Renewal or Classic mode would be an easy approach.  Of course, it would've been nicer if this option was initially available, but South Korea is not best Korea.

#34 GundamUC

GundamUC

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, after a few days in the game, I was able to get my cousin to join me in my adventures and even he agreed that he liked Classic. Renewal is just too saturated with elite players and power levels of 10m+ that he feels that his existence in that server will be obsolete (players with all gods and mvp gear all over the place just kind of makes it a bit too cheesy for him). I won't lie, I do too. Yeah, from what we see Classic has less players.. but at least they respond to conversation. And from what I see.. they are pretty willing to team up with players as long as they put in the effort to level and not expect hand outs. I don't think Gravity thought to mention that "oh btw, on Classic, don't expect handouts. It's RO on hard mode." .. but I will admit, cash shop will make acquiring zeny a lot less stressful, which means awsome gears even faster = faster leveling and high end content.

I'll stay positive and keep on truckin in Classic. I get the message.. yes.. it's a low pop server.. but then again.. if it were highly active with the limited maps there is.. people would be complaining about it's high population. Kind of like renewal TI missions. And even on renewal I see people throwing fits because of the mindless KS that goes on. I honestly believe Classic will get better. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Reguardless of the negativity about the server, I like it and enjoying it for now. When I want to play easy mode, I'll hit up Renewal, but for now, I'm enjoying the challenge of Classic. I mean.. it's what got me hooked on the game many years ago. xD

#35 HansLowell

HansLowell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

most of game which did a renewal thing was an absolute fail I think RO did pretty well tho, (at least to get that amount of players) but I still think the classic system is better than renewal. Classic system give more freedom in the game than renewal and create more diversity in almost all aspect (leveling/stats gears etc)

#36 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

I think it is impossible for iRO to do these things. It certainly isn't for kRO? So they could definitely do it if they were so inclined. Whether they would be inclined to do that is a totally different question..

You would need to confirm first hand from iro staff obviously, but last I heard, kro is very adamant that renewal is the future of the game, so development for classic servers won't hapen. I think it came up in the bRO interview, too.

#37 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

iRO don't have the source code, how hard is that to grasp?

Everything iRO does to the game are bandaid fixes or work arounds that they create from the systems existing within the game. They cannot add new systems, they cannot alter the game fundamentally.

If it involves making an NPC that can work on existing functions, they can do it. They can edit some equips functions and do that. Their abilities are limited.

#38 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

iRO don't have the source code, how hard is that to grasp?

Everything iRO does to the game are bandaid fixes or work arounds that they create from the systems existing within the game. They cannot add new systems, they cannot alter the game fundamentally.

If it involves making an NPC that can work on existing functions, they can do it. They can edit some equips functions and do that. Their abilities are limited.

I don't expect iRO to make changes.  However, to reduce maintenance it would've made more sense to enable Renewal functionality through a compile time constant.

I mean, what if another company decides to service RO to, say, Arabia?  And they release it episodically?  kRO would have to maintain the Classic client until they hit Renewal.  It would've been smarter to eliminate that need.

Edited by Jaffer, 01 August 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#39 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes exactly. But they don't have many smarts

#40 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

that made me laugh a bit. :)

#41 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think if iRO offered a package deal to groups of 10+ players, (a month of WoE and PVM  rental gear, stacks of blue/white acc bound pots, an emperium and perhaps a full reset voucher - logic here being they can go pvm if they want and hunt gear before resetting for WoE even tho that's slower) - making a group start nice and easy on classic might encourage groups to move over. Which is what we need.

+1, some sort of package for groups of players joining.

#42 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10265 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

You guys might collaborate on what items people would need to get started and we could probably put something like that together. How to have people apply for that or how it would be sold/distributed is something I'm not sure about. 

#43 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well, Oda if the floor is open for serious suggestions, I want to throw this out there.

Get rid of magical stones. Ok yes, we'll have bots. handle it. Magic stones are a barrier to starting players who have come for an actual "free to play" experience.

Likewise, sunbind slot mids so they can have hand me downs / stimulate the market. I don't think as yet that the staff understand how crucial slotted mids are to the current meta. If you make those ingame items (I'm aware that cam is working on it) and make them tradeable, a lot of players will come back.

Put kathy back on her pedestal. We left renewal because high risk-high reward levelling didn't exist.

Make the Do's and Don'ts of iRO clear.

Also, lets have a video contest. Lets get some iRO classic promo material out there. Once there's a new group package, this can almost entirely be promoted as close to a fresh start as possible.

#44 Susan

Susan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Server:ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

You guys might collaborate on what items people would need to get started and we could probably put something like that together. How to have people apply for that or how it would be sold/distributed is something I'm not sure about. 

• 1 emp coupon for every char above 70, turn in 10 coupons for 1 char bound alternate emperium. (or not, since emp is cheap now anyway)
  • woe blue and white for doing bg, additional to BG badges, not as reward for turning them in.
  • training grounds can give you char bound Battle manuals, yellow bwings.
  • woe supplier turn in for useless crap fort loot and mvp loot.
  • some coupon/token thing with the seals / other quests too
  • vip buffer / warper

oh and fix the game and leveling places and all that crap while you're at it.

Edited by Susan, 01 August 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#45 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Would it be very wrong to allow renewal > classic char transfers if the server is really getting to that point of inactiveness? Speaking of naked, no item/zeny characters. Just a suggestion, don't kill me, I know of friends who tried classic but the lack of parties simply threw them back, everyone's leeching their own thing and barely no other activity outside of woe times.

#46 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Renewal to Classic xfers, all characters above 90 get brought back down to lvl 90 :P

#47 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Or maybe a no-trans character restriction, so people actually have to level some in classic as well. I don't know, only suggesting it as a last resort option if the server dies out, I know some people are really dedicated to it and love woe.

#48 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

There should be a sub forum for applications to a guild package.  This will make the server seem more lively too as applications build up.

#49 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

This is what I would do to help make classic more "new" user friendly

1) Remove the magic stone cost from all classes.  It obviously isn't doing it's job

2) Offer 1 week VIP. Maybe 200 WPE or something. There are a lot of people who cannot play much during the school year, and offering 1 week packages when they get a light week or something would incline them to play.

3) VIP buffs/Warps. Make the x3 EXP buff have a 30day cool down, last 1 hour, and can only be gotten when under the effects of VIP. Offer the dungeon warps at a cost ( upper tier dungeons = huge zeny cost, will be a decent gold sink )

4) Up server rates and nerf thors. When I say "nerf" thors, I just mean keep it the current exp rates, while buffing the rest of the game. Maybe put the server at default x2 instead of 1.5.

5) If your not willing to do 4, do this. Lower the exp curve for 80-99 trans. I feel like this where a lot of new players quit.

6) Offer lvling up boxes, with bound items. Maybe around 90 or so offer a bound item such as a +6Hurricane Fury[1] for Smiths, a +0 Infil [1] for Sinx's etc. Would help give people the gear they need to compete, and wouldn't be "too" overpowered. Maybe offer some other bound gears as well.

Now in terms of offering guilds the "ability" to transfer/join classic with insentives, I feel that it COULD be a good thing, but the insentives you would have to offer would be too high ( ability to transfer lvl99 non trans characters for example ) If i were to offer insentives this is how I would do it

1 lvl 85 character

Full set of rental gear ( lasts 30 days )

Full set of +5 Secured gear

1 Weapon Box ( Choice of one of the following: +7 Jur[3],+7 Oricish Axe [4],+7 Survivors Rod (Dex) [1],+7 Chain [3], +10 Pike[4], +5 Orc Archers Bow)

30 Days VIP

1 Emp

30 Kafra Teleport Tickets

30 Kafra Storage Tickets

1000 White Pots ( weightless)

500 Blue Pots ( weightless )

1000 Fly Wings ( weightless)

1 Neutralizer ( bound ), has to be used before trans

#50 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

5) If your not willing to do 4, do this. Lower the exp curve for 80-99 trans. I feel like this where a lot of new players quit.

no. getting those levels is meant to be hard to encourage party play, not leeching (as what is happening today)

i used to solo on my smith, 80-90 thors then 90-99 bio3, but of course having even just a 2man party would make leveling more enjoyable. having someone to level with wont make you think that it's just a tedious job and you just wanna get done with it asap. if classic gets more people to the point that everyone wanting to party gets a party, people wouldnt really mind the time they spend for leveling... just like the old days. leveling is supposed to be part of the fun of ragnarok anyway. it's not supposed to be like how classic is right now - people have this "i wanna get to 99 as fast as possible so i can woe" mentality

1 Neutralizer ( bound ), has to be used before trans

doesn't make sense since you get a free skill reset when you trans anyway.

Edited by 1756492860, 01 August 2013 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users