Classic is fantastic! - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Classic is fantastic!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 Victoryblood

Victoryblood

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Whatever we got

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Wanna encourage party play?

Remove the exp penalty from exp share, in fact turn the exp penalty into a exp bonus.

"It's called exp share for a reason". Then why not change the name to exp bonus :)

To think of all the random invites you could get by just moving your character around on a map with monsters, this would be too funny.

Bot$ would try to invite you, but then you could check them to see if they are bot$ and then slam a big, solid, ban hammer on all of them at once.

To not break the game, I recommend 1% bonus exp per player (max 12%) in a party.

maybe exp events can affect it / maybe vip nvm with battle manuals, the exp would be enough. i dunno now lolol

What do you think?

Edited by Victoryblood, 01 August 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#52 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

no. getting those levels is meant to be hard to encourage party play, not leeching (as what is happening today)

i used to solo on my smith, 80-90 thors then 90-99 bio3, but of course having even just a 2man party would make leveling more enjoyable. having someone to level with wont make you think that it's just a tedious job and you just wanna get done with it asap. if classic gets more people to the point that everyone wanting to party gets a party, people wouldnt really mind the time they spend for leveling... just like the old days. leveling is supposed to be part of the fun of ragnarok anyway. it's not supposed to be like how classic is right now - people have this "i wanna get to 99 as fast as possible so i can woe" mentality

doesn't make sense since you get a free skill reset when you trans anyway.

The issue is as classic is now, there is no party play. You pretty much ahve two options, fix the party system from scratch ( something that would require kRO to code it, AKA not happening ) or make it easier to lvl ( something they CAN do. Maybe they can't mess with the exp curve, but they can edit exp values for mobs and stuff )

In terms of the 99 and woe mentality, I was saying this the day the server opened. Everyone is all like " give us this update, give us this one, give us this one, oh and this one " they refused to , you know, WAIT for content, instead demanding a new update every month.

What is pretty sad is we are almost caught up to 13.2, with only a few updates left. It had been 1 year.........

In terms of the skill reset, it would let them play with their class and see if they like a skill build, it's just something that is there to offer some freedom. If you offer it to trans characters too, half the server will complain that they didnt get one before insentives were given.

#53 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

I disagree, I think forcing people to wait for content caused players to quit.

IMO, having everything released from the start (Satan Morroc, New World, etc.), removing HE, 3X BM's, and the dragon event turn ins would have resulted in a much higher population.

Edited by iamvrypwrful, 01 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#54 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

When they announced Classic, everyone was hoping for the iRO that was before Renewal. Old maps, old formulas, old spawns, 1st Class job change, etc.

What the community got instead was... something trying to be pre-Renewal but wasn't really.

#55 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I agree with you, had the speed leveling options not existed, the server would be in a WAY better state right now.

#56 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

The biggest thing that hurt Classic was wild inconsistencies from the GMs. We had a pretty good pre-trans period, interesting maps and some custom changes that spiced things up a little but at a slightly increased pre-trans exp rates. Updates after that were sporadic and not very well planned out (see Dragonlabs, this was a HUGE turn off for many people).

There was also the Inter server issues we had very early on which drove people insane, having it restarted every 30 minutes because they couldnt fix the cause was pretty painful and everyone was regularly complaining about disconnecting on map changes. It was better than the server dropping for several hours at a time overnight but I think a lot of people got discouraged.

It'd be really interesting if we could see a (very simple and basic) renewal -> classic transfer or at least give players with a max level Renewal char something on Classic to experiment with.

If we could get a way to encourage people who havent played on classic a while to return we could probably manage to keep quite a few of them around. Something like a cheap/free short term VIP for accounts that havent been accessed for xyz period.

I'm also for removing the Magic Stone requirement to change classes. If KP hadnt skyrocketed I'd probably be more willing to keep a few around to hand out to new players who are interested, but as it is even helping out a few dudes is a pretty expensive endeavor. You can still keep the stones ingame and do what people were recommending, just make that VIP services guy give out the 3x bonus/port to players more often. You could have current VIP players get it every 5-7 days and anyone who is not VIP but has used a magic stone something every 2-4 weeks. This'd still make it super worth using a magic stone on a character you're not planning on instantly leeching to 99 trans (which is most of the players) and keeping people who have already used a stone from feeling like they got cheated.

Right now Classic is in a really good place, most of the annoying things people disliked are gone. Bugs and server issues have been (mostly) fixed. We just need a way to encourage new players to stick around and older players to come back to see that everything is as it should be right now.

#57 1756492860

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

Wanna encourage party play?

Remove the exp penalty from exp share, in fact turn the exp penalty into a exp bonus.

"It's called exp share for a reason". Then why not change the name to exp bonus :)

To think of all the random invites you could get by just moving your character around on a map with monsters, this would be too funny.

Bot$ would try to invite you, but then you could check them to see if they are bot$ and then slam a big, solid, ban hammer on all of them at once.

To not break the game, I recommend 1% bonus exp per player (max 12%) in a party.

maybe exp events can affect it / maybe vip nvm with battle manuals, the exp would be enough. i dunno now lolol

What do you think?

maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. but it would be inevitable that some people complain about the party system not being "real classic"

#58 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

The biggest thing that hurt Classic was wild inconsistencies from the GMs. We had a pretty good pre-trans period, interesting maps and some custom changes that spiced things up a little but at a slightly increased pre-trans exp rates. Updates after that were sporadic and not very well planned out (see Dragonlabs, this was a HUGE turn off for many people).

There was also the Inter server issues we had very early on which drove people insane, having it restarted every 30 minutes because they couldnt fix the cause was pretty painful and everyone was regularly complaining about disconnecting on map changes. It was better than the server dropping for several hours at a time overnight but I think a lot of people got discouraged.

It'd be really interesting if we could see a (very simple and basic) renewal -> classic transfer or at least give players with a max level Renewal char something on Classic to experiment with.

If we could get a way to encourage people who havent played on classic a while to return we could probably manage to keep quite a few of them around. Something like a cheap/free short term VIP for accounts that havent been accessed for xyz period.

I'm also for removing the Magic Stone requirement to change classes. If KP hadnt skyrocketed I'd probably be more willing to keep a few around to hand out to new players who are interested, but as it is even helping out a few dudes is a pretty expensive endeavor. You can still keep the stones ingame and do what people were recommending, just make that VIP services guy give out the 3x bonus/port to players more often. You could have current VIP players get it every 5-7 days and anyone who is not VIP but has used a magic stone something every 2-4 weeks. This'd still make it super worth using a magic stone on a character you're not planning on instantly leeching to 99 trans (which is most of the players) and keeping people who have already used a stone from feeling like they got cheated.

Right now Classic is in a really good place, most of the annoying things people disliked are gone. Bugs and server issues have been (mostly) fixed. We just need a way to encourage new players to stick around and older players to come back to see that everything is as it should be right now.

This post basically touched on mostly everything I wanted to say. Classic is in a bad place currently, and that is because of past mistakes that the GM team has made by ignoring what the players had to say and went ahead with stupid decisions (such as account binding gear). Perhaps it's not too late to reverse all those terrible changes. Please listen to your players, we want classic to succeed even more than you do. That is the truth.

Here's a list of changes you can do that would bring people to this server :

1. Return Bio3 to area spawns. Currently the map is unused, and that is because of the absence of area spawns. Area spawns MADE the map, without it the map might as well not exist for the majority of the population.

2. Unbind slotted mids and give more ingame ways to obtain them. Currently you cannot compete in WoE without having access to slotted mids. I have always said that slotted mids have to be all or nothing, either everybody should have them or nobody should have them. Right now, only huge kafra shop spenders and people with zeny to buy KP have them. This is a very bad thing for a healthy WoE environment. So many friends I have asked to play have flat out refused because they'd have to spend over 100 dollars to try getting a pair of slotted mids on their account.

3. Promote more BG/PvP activity. For somebody who has already leveled everything they wanted, there is nothing to do. If there was a healthy BG/PvP environment, people would have something to do. If people actually fought in BG and didn't afk/multi-log for badges it would be fun. PvP wars are also really fun.

4. Remove magic stones. This is such a retarded change. I have given countless magic stones to newbies because they couldn't afford to job change. Do you really want to drive potential players away over a measly $1?

5. Add in an NPC to convert guild treasure to starsands. Guild treasure sucks, and nobody wants it. It takes up too much space. Why not add an NPC that converts it into starsands for guilds to supply? Right now starsands are being supplied by bots and nothing else. I don't see how this would hurt.

6. When revamping training grounds, add anti-bot measures. The opportunity to revamp training grounds is very good as it gives you the chance to do in some anti-bot measures. Please take the opportunity.

7. Disable reflect in high-end MvP maps, or enable Ice wall in all high-end MvP maps. Pick one or the other. If you want to do away with cheesing high-end mvps, disable reflect (or eske, maybe). If you don't care and leave reflect in, add Ice wall back in too as disabling Ice wall is meaningless. I would prefer the former, but whatever.

Edited by Hrishi, 02 August 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#59 Easton

Easton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

7. Disable reflect in high-end MvP maps, or enable Ice wall in all high-end MvP maps. Pick one or the other. If you want to do away with cheesing high-end mvps, disable reflect (or eske, maybe). If you don't care and leave reflect in, add Ice wall back in too as disabling Ice wall is meaningless. I would prefer the former, but whatever.

I don't see this ever happening. It is pretty ridiculous to "solo" Beelzebub, easily one of the hardest MVPs to kill, with just a reflect Paladin and a dual logged linker. The reason it won't ever happen is that to pull this off, you need res tokens which can be bought from your very own kafra shop! I don't think they would want to lose that.

#60 HansLowell

HansLowell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Improving training grounds is a good thing, but the real thing that need to happen is promote teams at any levels.

#61 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Improving training grounds is a good thing, but the real thing that need to happen is promote teams at any levels.

While I agree with this, it can't happen. It would require recoding, which is something I don't think they can do. The only thing they could do is make super hard mobs, disable certain skills, and make them COMPLETLY un duo-trio-soloable. Make the exp worth it.

#62 iamvrypwrful

iamvrypwrful

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

5. Add in an NPC to convert guild treasure to starsands. Guild treasure sucks, and nobody wants it. It takes up too much space. Why not add an NPC that converts it into starsands for guilds to supply? Right now starsands are being supplied by bots and nothing else. I don't see how this would hurt..

+10000000000000000000000

All the slotted gears and treasure boxes should be able to be turned in for WoE supplies (WSS, blue herbs, ygg seeds).

Edited by iamvrypwrful, 02 August 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#63 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

While I agree with this, it can't happen. It would require recoding, which is something I don't think they can do. The only thing they could do is make super hard mobs, disable certain skills, and make them COMPLETLY un duo-trio-soloable. Make the exp worth it.

Had the same idea with dungeons since they're not basic field maps so why not bump up the spawns and exp in all dungeons.  Make it impossible to solo or duo so that way high risk would equal higher reward.  Every dungeon too so we might see low level parties in places like Payon Dungeon, just like how it was when the server first started...all those people sitting outside Payon Cave trying to find parties/recruiting.

Also why stop at Starsands?  Why not something that you can trade in for ingredients for Acid Bottles, Bottle Grenades, Poison Bottles, Potions, etc.

#64 Musu

Musu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:31 AM

Maybe they could implement the token system they want to put on renewal? Where

Slotted equips ( bucks, silks, chains etc ) are worth 1-3 tokens each, OCA worth like 20 or something. Have to be in a guild to trade in items for tokens.

1 Token = 3 Acid Bomb Kits or 3 EDPs etcetcetc

3 Tokens = 20 WOE Slim Whites, 10 WOE Slim Blues

10 Tokens = 1 10 Stat 15 minute food

20 Tokens = Weapon Box ( Which gives a set of items needed to make the lvl 4 weapons , CK,Mailbreaker etc )

#65 bryanctan

bryanctan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of the Awesome Ones
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi,

I recently came back to RO after many years away from the game. The last time I played Ragnarok was way before Renewal and even before WarpPortal. I remember only snippets of the original RO because I was a little kid back then. Since I've come back, I've been playing Renewal and honestly the mechanics of Renewal are quite good. I'm planning to play Classic soon, but I stumbled upon this forum topic and I've read all the negative feedback about the Classic server. Although I haven't experienced the new Classic server, as a former original P2P player, I like to be nostalgic once in a while. Many of you criticize Classic, but at least it has some form of originality that separates it from Renewal. At least Classic reminds us of the good ol' times, while Renewal is the modern generation. Sure, many problems from Classic can be blamed on the GMs and the staff, but some of it can also be attributed to us players.

There are always two sides to a coin, and the two sides of the coin that is Ragnarok Online are the game creators and the players. To make Classic and Renewal coexist successfully, there needs to be cooperation between the players and the staff. My suggestion would be for the players to take initiative and bring up the pros and cons of Classic more often to RO's attention and for the staff to listen intently to suggestions and give the players what they want. The players and the staff have to work together to bring out the best in RO. Together, we can eventually work out a win-win situation. Right now, it seems like it is a losing situation for the both of us.

Let's not give up on Classic, so Classic will never give up on us :exlamation:

#66 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I am confused. Is classic fantastic, or does it need improvement? It can't be both...

#67 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

WoE was fantastic until the BRs got banned for botting.

Now it needs work.

#68 AmonRA

AmonRA

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1927 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

classic is fantastic? you kiddingme? is a -_-, just look 800~900 population and you can see a WoE video just 3 guilds on in WoE?

Pre-renewal is a gold memory, Classic (Loki server) is a -_-.

#69 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

They should not be selective with the bans and ban those who buy botted supplies too!

classic is fantastic? you kiddingme? is a -_-, just look 800~900 population and you can see a WoE video just 3 guilds on in WoE?

Pre-renewal is a gold memory, Classic (Loki server) is a -_-.

900? Try 700 characters online durring woe, mostly bots. Mid week it's 400~500, again mostly bots/venders.

Edited by Gn1ydnu, 14 August 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#70 bryanctan

bryanctan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of the Awesome Ones

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

I am confused. Is classic fantastic, or does it need improvement? It can't be both...

Although it depends on what characteristics of Classic you want to accentuate, basically Classic is fantastic but still needs improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users