#1 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin, Channels 1-5

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

Figured I'd give people a preview of what I'm working on. I just finished the HUD page.

It's intended to be a slimmed-down, blue, non-leather-bound version of the UI.

I took two screen-shots, one to show the online party icon, and one to show the disconnected icon.

Thoughts?

28218ad.png

15n17x2.png

#2 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:RO II - Odin

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Looks great! I love how everything is so slim. Although (personal preference) I think you should tone down the blue a little, it looks very intense atm.

#3 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Looks great! I love how everything is so slim. Although (personal preference) I think you should tone down the blue a little, it looks very intense atm.

The darks, or the lights? :p_laugh:

#4 VModSushi

VModSushi

Community Lurker

• VMod Retired
  • 851 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

try toning them both down. a bit lighter on the dark blue, a bit darker on the light blue.

#5 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the mist...

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

The darks, or the lights? :p_laugh:

I like the UI as well, but I agree that the blue is a bit intense. 

If you're open to constructive criticism, I would suggest using colors like these, not quite so vivid, but still following the IcE theme. 

█████

#6 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

I like the UI as well, but I agree that the blue is a bit intense. 

If you're open to constructive criticism, I would suggest using colors like these, not quite so vivid, but still following the IcE theme. 

█████

Alright. I'll try to stick in that color range. The dark blue in the middle actually looks like the mid-tone blue I used for the UI, though. :p_laugh: I've also already used grays and blacks, but mostly around borders.

I may just end up using the other two blues you listed as HP bars, while the darker blue you listed will probably be used on the rest of the UI. I'll use the grays in areas that are severely dark blue currently.

It'll take a while to edit the colors manually, though. :p_laugh:  I probably won't get to it before the weekend is over, but I'll try to get it done.

Any other color suggestions would be nice though. :p_laugh:  It doesn't feel like 6 is enough for all of the content.

Edited by SoraOfKHK, 20 September 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#7 7473130511053806230

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

It's.... very blue...... try using more shades of blue rather than the static dark blue you've got... 

blue.jpg

What makes blue nice is the many shades from light to dark, rather than heavily using shades from either end of the spectrum, try the ones in the middle more and contrast/balance it out with shades of grey :)

#8 Meluken

Meluken

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Locationin the ocean

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

The blue is nice. but I aggree you should try shading them a bit, right now they seem to solid which makes its a little awkward to look at. try to add a little light grey to it and soften the color some.

#9 Audn

Audn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, like Klyde & VM11 said.

Try to avoid high contrast within the UI, looking at contrasting colors for extended periods of time is much more tiring to the sight...

Same goes for truly vivid colors.

Examples:

Looking at this color is more tiring than looking at this color or this color.

Looking at this color is more tiring than looking at this color or this color.

Looking at this contrast scheme is more tiring than looking at this contrast scheme.

Looking at this contrast scheme is more tiring than looking at this contrast scheme.

Hope this helps! Specially since UIs for a MMO are to be seen for extended periods of time!

Maybe some of these changes don't seem noticeable, but they really do weight in the long run.

Edited by Audn, 25 September 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#10 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

I used the color scheme ritsukachan provided.

Does it look too weird without the Map and Character containers?

2mhh6s8.png

Edited by SoraOfKHK, 25 September 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#11 7473130511053806230

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Looking better! The blue of the HP/SP/Guardian bars at the top right, the Minimap/Ch. needs adjusting, and perhaps shade the SP bar at the bottom like the HP bar is shaded too.

But definitely better :)

#12 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Looking better! The blue of the HP/SP/Guardian bars at the top right, the Minimap/Ch. needs adjusting, and perhaps shade the SP bar at the bottom like the HP bar is shaded too.

But definitely better :)

Basically, you're saying, "Don't use blue at all." :p_swt:

I used these colors:

█████

I used the second one for the top of the HP bar, the first one for the guardian bar, the second one for the bottom of the HP bar, the second one for the top of the SP bar, and the third one for the bottom part of the SP bar.

I'm still not done with the channel part of the Mini-Map, but it's probably going to consist of the first and second colors.

#13 7473130511053806230

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

*edit* Nvm

This is your work, and I realised I have no right to try and affect a change to the vision you had for this skin. I'm sorry I won't be so presumptuous anymore and tread on your toes. You've put in alot of hard work and I'm an ass for coming along and finger pointing all over it because it doesn't suit me. This IU has nothing to do with me, it's yours and I respect that :)

Good luck!

Edited by 7473130511053806230, 25 September 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#14 ShirakawaNaoya

ShirakawaNaoya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationLiving in SeaGodTemple
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

impressive.

adding some drop shadow would be nice. but not too much

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

I used the color scheme ritsukachan provided.

Does it look too weird without the Map and Character containers?

I think the area name and the channel number would look better having the same background color as the character name. The text colors make the blue look brighter than it does.

#16 Audn

Audn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

I'm liking it more!

But I'd invert all that white content to black or change it to light semi-transparent gray.

Or maybe a 4th, lighter tone than the 3 blues you said you're using c:

Plain white will most likely lead you to high contrast.. RO2 has quite high contrast world graphics I wouldn't want to add much more..

But it's your call. BTW, You're doing great!

Edited by Audn, 26 September 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#17 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

*edit* Nvm

This is your work, and I realised I have no right to try and affect a change to the vision you had for this skin. I'm sorry I won't be so presumptuous anymore and tread on your toes. You've put in alot of hard work and I'm an ass for coming along and finger pointing all over it because it doesn't suit me. This IU has nothing to do with me, it's yours and I respect that :)

Good luck!

Now I kinda wanna know what you had to say. :p_laugh: This UI has to do with anyone who could potentially use it.

I'm liking it more!

But I'd invert all that white content to black or change it to light semi-transparent gray.

Or maybe a 4th, lighter tone than the 3 blues you said you're using c:

Plain white will most likely lead you to high contrast.. RO2 has quite high contrast world graphics I wouldn't want to add much more..

But it's your call. BTW, You're doing great!

It's actually light gray, and the more I look at it, the more I want to actually do the entire UI this way rather than using blue at all.

Platinum IcE UI. :p_laugh:

impressive.

adding some drop shadow would be nice. but not too much

The original UI actually had the shadow, but after the recolor, it just didn't look right to me. I could try it now that I've narrowed things down, though.

I think the area name and the channel number would look better having the same background color as the character name. The text colors make the blue look brighter than it does.

I could give that a go.

By the way, I still kinda wonder if the lack of Map and Character containers looks weird or not.

Edited by SoraOfKHK, 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#18 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Now I kinda wanna know what you had to say. :p_laugh: This UI has to do with anyone who could potentially use it.

He said something about using the right shade of blue that won't burn your eyes out after staring at it for too long. Don't know why he changed his post, it was very constructive feedback.

#19 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey there, not to be the bearer of bad news but this update is from the SeaRO2 page:

NAxOkhC.png

Meaning that I dunno, they might install a fix so people can't customize their VDKs anymore, so I rather you avoid going to the trouble of doing all the work, ultimately for you to not be able to use it.

I foresee the same rule will apply to iRO2 so, yeah. Was fun while it lasted ~_~

#20 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hey there, not to be the bearer of bad news but this update is from the SeaRO2 page:

NAxOkhC.png

Meaning that I dunno, they might install a fix so people can't customize their VDKs anymore, so I rather you avoid going to the trouble of doing all the work, ultimately for you to not be able to use it.

I foresee the same rule will apply to iRO2 so, yeah. Was fun while it lasted ~_~

That's utter paranoia. Modifying just the UI cannot cause game crashes. If an item is missing from your custom UI, the game typically bypasses said item and loads the original UI version of that item (or, it's supposed to, I haven't been able to verify that here yet). While a game CAN crash if it fails to load an item, custom UIs are an entirely different thing, because they're not modifying original files, or overwriting original files. The custom ones simply show up in place of the originals.

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

NAxOkhC.png

Nooooooo.jpg

#22 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

He said something about using the right shade of blue that won't burn your eyes out after staring at it for too long. Don't know why he changed his post, it was very constructive feedback.

I actually get pains in my eyes eventually due to reading black-on-white text on these forums.

I used to type in red, until people complained it hurt their eyes (it also got me in trouble on a few forums, because it was a moderator/admin-only color, and I didn't know). I then typed in blue (a light blue), but the forum I was on happened to have a light blue tint to it, so people wanted me to use a darker color...

I used to say I was doing it just to "be myself," and while true, it was only part of it. I didn't want to admit I had a problem. I usually don't like mentioning my problems to others (even when I need to go to the doctor at times, mostly due to not wanting to be a burden).

Yeah, this is getting off-topic here, but the point of mentioning all of this is, a lot of the time, I fail to consider what may hurt the eyes of others, because a lot of things that don't hurt the eyes of others hurt mine...

So, that's why I decided going with the silver/gray/platinum color might be better for everyone overall. It still somewhat fits to the "IcE" theme, I think.

#23 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

That's utter paranoia. Modifying just the UI cannot cause game crashes. If an item is missing from your custom UI, the game typically bypasses said item and loads the original UI version of that item (or, it's supposed to, I haven't been able to verify that here yet). While a game CAN crash if it fails to load an item, custom UIs are an entirely different thing, because they're not modifying original files, or overwriting original files. The custom ones simply show up in place of the originals.

True, however they can just make it so the game calls the UI.VDK from the server rather than the client, similar how you can't edit the patcher image. Just saying, you can keep going but I guess this officially ends my updating. Just going to tweak some things and call it a day. ._.

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

The key word is that it "might" affect custom UIs. I wouldn't call it quits just yet. I mean, the Noel update destroyed seaRO2's client while it just gave us a few bugs. Just because an update affects seaRO2 in some way, that doesn't mean it'll affect our server the same way.

#25 Audn

Audn

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

The keyword is "advise".

I'd be scared if they actually made custom UIs impossible..

Edit: Gosh! ZeroTigress!! 3 minutes too late e.e

Edited by Audn, 26 September 2013 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users