Cast Time Discussion - Page 3 - Specific Renewal Feedback - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Cast Time Discussion

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

Either remove the cast time from Meteor Assault and increase the delay or make it uninterruptible. Melee AoEs with interruptable casts are and have always been... a bad idea.

#52 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I can understand why we should not have INSTANT cast but come on, I am an archer class, not a wizard casting lvl 5 storm gust. The AV cast is WAY overkill right now. There should be a medium between instant and SOO SLOWW it can nearly kill you just to use the skill. =\

Edited by Trixdee, 19 November 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#53 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

Here's one I think is worth bringing up. Unlike all the wizard AoE's, Magnus didn't get the 20% reduction in total cast time that the others got. That (oddly) makes Magnus the longest casting of all the 2nd job skills. I can only imagine that gravity forgot about it. The solution then, is to give it the same bonus to cast time, and apply the same 1s fixed cast.

Wow, at least someone didn't forget about the ME build! I agree that the cast time needs to be significantly faster, and in addition to that, the damage kicked off by the skill should be modified. I found that it was quite bogus that my ME HP with 135 INT was getting out performed by High Wizards and Storm Gust in Nameless. ME is supposed to be the ultimate Demon/Undead killing spell, so why is it that the damage sucks so bad on it?

IMO the skill needs a significantly shorter fixed cast time, and damage against Demon and Undead should be increased by at least 200% of what it currently is. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't happen, given the fact that the target of ME is so narrowed.

#54 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Doddler's suggestions are fine, especially for ME, but Melody Strike and Slinging Arrow need to have their cast time completely removed. It should be the Bash/DS for those who use instruments/whips.

#55 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

IMHO AV, Melody Strike and Slinging Arrow, as well as Focused Arrow Strike should have their cast time removed completely. These skills suck with cast time.

#56 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

What about Warlock's cast time? at least let us stack Radius with Sacrement...

#57 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:26 AM

Some skills are just really bad, like FAS and Energy Coat. They're borderline unusable.

#58 LethalJokeChar

LethalJokeChar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Mage's Soul strike: It has a full 1 sec after-cast delay AFTER the animation finishes. This delay is too utterly and painfully slow.

And as for comments about cast time in general: I always thought fixed cast times were a bad idea. I do not think it is a good idea to put hard limits on everything. The problem is, you'd think people would still like to make their cast times as fast as possible like in the old days. Except, anyone who tries quickly runs into a wall and cannot improve their cast time anymore no matter what. And on the other hand, we don't want instant cast easily available either.

I have already outlined a new formula here. http://forums.warppo...-time-proposal/

It is not exactly a one size fits all sort of thing. Archer-based skills, for instance, are suggested to have much faster cast formulas. Other skills could be tweaked simply by shortening or elongating their cast time. Only when we really want a skill to be around a certain minimum cast time would we ever add some fixed portion to the cast time... but this fixed cast time should still not be very long.

#59 DeltaRay

DeltaRay

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

with doddlers suggestions I think its safe to say formulas dont need to be modified.Those suggestions work alot just need to get those implemented in iRO.

#60 Nombus

Nombus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

I think a comparison between magic cast times vs that of physical AoE would be interesting. Currently physical AoEs are putting magic to shame while having a much faster cast time. Taking Dragon's Breath for instance, I commonly see RKs doing 25k, fast casting, and and quickly repeated, AoE dmg in rachel 1. Compared to sorcerer, who's only truely decent dmg AoE skill is Psychic Wave, one is lucky to see that dmg after a full cast. Given that an RK can get that off about 5 times before a Scorcerer could get off 2, there is a definate problem with ballancing.

While I do not think the solution to this is reducing cast time on magic, there is no other topic in this section that deals with the altogether huge problem with magic compared to physical dmg. Long casts should provide greater dmg, and that currently isn't the case.

#61 JStarbux

JStarbux

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Cast time of Grand Cross has no variable cast time. Seems to be a straight 3 second fixed cast regardless of any modifier. This causes two problems:
1) Having 1 dex or 120 dex, GC is going to take a painful 3 seconds in which you first take damage, then lose 20% of your health, then get hit 3 more times by your own cross.
2) Isilla card is as worthless as a willow card now. The 50% variable reduction doesn't help GC at all.

This use to be a key bonus when leaving in large mobs and is why I used Isilla to begin with. Now that you have to wait at least (3 for cast) + (1 for hits) + (3 for cast) = minimum 7 seconds. Couple this with reduced heal, reduced matk, 100 sp cost, reduced hits for stacked monsters, 20% hp reduction, and 3 self hits --> GC is now even more useless. Why you gotta hate on GC so much Gravity!

I suggest a 2 second variable cast + 1 second fixed cast. That way you can at least take advantage of isilla bonus to help fight MVPs or large mobs. I can deal with the offer "balancing" acts on this skill but at least give me my fast cast back.

#62 IronFist

IronFist

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand, Beach

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

one thing i would like to see is more interruptible casts such as clashing spiral, dragons breath, and gates of hell.

ragnarok use to have 1 skill which u could use in woe Grand Cross, why are there so many NOW~~

#63 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I don't main an archer class but

I strongly agree that that cast times for archer classes need to be re-evaluated.

Arrow Shower is great now but to avoid a sharp decrease in archer population in the long term

(particularly performers) player friendly cast times will need to be implemented.

#64 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

Doddler's suggestions are fine, especially for ME, but Melody Strike and Slinging Arrow need to have their cast time completely removed. It should be the Bash/DS for those who use instruments/whips.

IMHO AV, Melody Strike and Slinging Arrow, as well as Focused Arrow Strike should have their cast time removed completely. These skills suck with cast time.

Quoting for re-emphasis in case gravity forgot

#65 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

Have there been any updates, changes, or even rumors that stuff discussed here is going to happen? It's been 6 months since the last post.

#66 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

There has been no response in these subforums for half a year, yea...

If you did get a response it would be: "we've adjusted the mentioned skills liek 3 times already wtf" ignoring the fact that the fixed casts are the issue not the delays theyve been adjusting.

Edited by Charon, 27 June 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#67 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Well that's certainly lovely to know.

#68 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Sage class: Foresight/Hindsight cast should be cut in half.

Edited by Trixdee, 22 July 2011 - 12:12 AM.

#69 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Spells I think need to be sped up:
-All 3 wiz nukes, especially SG
-ME
-Highsight majorly, Foresight slightly
-Energy Coat (I know it got cut to 3s fixed, but that's still way too long in parties that rarely want a mage with them in the first place.)

I think the 3rd job cast times on Lock are, for the most part, fine. Most of the spells are full screen AoEs, so it does make sense that they take a little longer to set up than the melee skills, and of course, there's always Freeze and Release for when you really need to set up an attack in advance.

Sorc casts tend to be very fast, as do AB ones.

The problem is that attack spells do *less* damage than the melee attacks, and have an enormous cooldown, giving you something like 1/4 of the damage output vs classes that have 4x your HP and much higher defense.

Meanwhile, healing magic heals for less than it did, while trying to heal characters that have 3x their pre-renewal HP.

I think MATK needs a major revision, and then after that's fixed, we should look at 3rd job cast times... it's hard to tell what really needs an adjustment atm when MATK is so abysmal that *nothing* works well.

Pre-Renewal: Protect your wizard while he takes a couple of seconds to set up a giant spell blast that will kill just about everything.
Post-Renewal: Leave your wizard in town, he's just draining exp from the meleers.

Pre-Renewal: Bring a priest along for large buffs and a constant heal.
Post-Renewal: No one cares about the buffs, just bring a giant stack of pots.

Edited by Mwrip, 20 July 2011 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users