Top 7 Reasons New Players Quit - Page 2 - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Top 7 Reasons New Players Quit

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

hell no to 'noob turn ins'. its already easy as hell to level from 1-70, even as the brokest newbie noob ever. if you cant make your skills work for you, then maybe you need to try another class, because 1st jobs are all balanced pretty well and can easily level themselves. hell you can get to 26 on ANY class in like 1-2 hours just by bopping spores and turning in the spores quest along side it. I'm tired of this game worrying so much about pre renewal content and completely neglecting that everything theyve implemented post 99 is completely broken and neglected. you have entire classes that dont work right and need drastic repairs to function properly. meanwhile, theyre putting in 'jump start' events and spotlights for level 25s while the rest of us lvl 100s are forced to sit in TIs killing the same mobs all week long. 

btw i saw this on wikipedia and it really clears alot up of why iro sucks so much compared to the asian ragnaroks. 

Renewal has different versions, according to the server it is being implemented in. The 2 major versions are called the kRO (Korean Raagnarok Online) and jRO (JapaneseRagnarok Online), titled after the server in which the version was created. The differences between each version were made by the corresponding branch of Gravity in order to please their players, rather than having an overall brand of Renewal, which might only please a minority.

as you can see they are catering their versions for THEIR fans, but we can all go die in a fire apparently because anytime warp portal tries to customize our version, they threaten legal action against them (bunch of kittens). the only custom thing we have is TIs, which if we didnt have, this version wouldve gone out of business already because its 2-3 years behind on updates, has bugs that dont even exist anymore in asia, and the rest of the world that arnt beaten daily by their parents (yea im talking about crazy ass koreans), wont put up with mindless grinding anymore. there needs to be a point to leveling or theres no point to playing. the korean mentality is that everything should be punishing and you should have to suffer for anything you earn. that just doesnt fly here

Oda: User has been put on probation for this post. 

#27 Himeyasha

Himeyasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

1) I kinda like just vending but they need to eliminate the vending/chatboxes in eden. It's rather annoying when you can't find your damn npc because person xyz wants to sell their equips

2) They could fix this by utilizing the navigator thingy.

It was really nice to have a blaring red arrow show me where the hell I needed to go as a newb.

rest are harder to change. 

#28 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

RO's other "fun" features should be revitalized if I may say so. You know, stuff like Hugel and Al de Baran minigames, Battlegrounds, Poring Wars, and etc. Something to take our attention from the grind from time to time without needing to have a max leveled character with high tier equip.

I met a lot new players when iRO opened its doors to Steam and mRO people and after a month or two, only a handful of them are left. :(

#29 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

RO's other "fun" features should be revitalized if I may say so. You know, stuff like Hugel and Al de Baran minigames, Battlegrounds, Poring Wars, and etc. Something to take our attention from the grind from time to time without needing to have a max leveled character with high tier equip.

I met a lot new players when iRO opened its doors to Steam and mRO people and after a month or two, only a handful of them are left. :(

Revitalization is good, unfortunately most of those were removed due to players abusing them. 

#30 Alichi

Alichi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBehind Your Door
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

1. Many Vending; this is the point of online game, if you dont like see-ing many vendors, go play offline game..As for the time to load the map, its based on your comp specs and internet speed.  But i agree, eden should be cleared from pub chat and vendors.
  2. Well...those quest is designed for story related fun...And if you include the guide step by step it will be no more fun on it...its just like the feel when you see movie at the first time and watching it again on the second time.  If you lost, you can use irowiki.org.
  3. This is pretty much a personal point of view, more friend, more party. Theres already ingame menu to advertise party and yourself. no content need party ? Try this ET run till finish, satan morroc, niddogur's nest, bio labs, eclage, etc
  4. This is also personal, theres some pvp maps that usually almost abandoned. go there if you wanna having fun with your friend.  Try to trolling elite player with low geared char is suicide.
  5. This is never be problem for quiting new player
  6. This never be a problem. since theres a better equips for these chars
  7. People have their own privacy, most of them dont want some of their char to be recognize by their friend. If you want to know more about people alt char, go check it on ROPD. And the hell ? why this can make people quit ? -_-

Those list pretty much cant be used as reason why new player quit, there's only 3 big matters:

1. Mind behavior/problem ( bored/mad/insulted/sad/etc)

2. Interested on another product (by himself or by friend)

3. Real life issues (study,work,family, etc)

#31 coded

coded

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Location自分の夢に

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

RO is now all suger drops and rainbows for the QQ people

Damn fruit loops

lol so we must bucket up and OBEY like the slaves we are. Communism?

I guess we qq when the queen of England taxed us with tea, hence the Boston tea party and later on Independence from England. History anyone?

I don't want to take vending away, just put it in a more organize way that works out for all. I seen this on other servers and it works.

#32 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Is there something going on here cuz, well I'm new to the forums and I feel black emotions...

I wouldn't say anything is "going on" really. There's just a few forum users who have rather type A personalities and butt heads over opinions every so often. I think the issue with xealix and xellie are related to classic WOE type problems (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

#33 ReshiramFlare

ReshiramFlare

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Surprised the bots have not been mentioned yet. Doesn't feel very welcoming if you are new and go on a map with a lot of people, but they won't speak to you or even recognize you are there. (And the zeny spammer PMs are so annoying! >.<)

#34 Himeyasha

Himeyasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

They really need to kill the pm bots that hit you in izlude. 

I made a new character and I was already getting spammed at the boat. 

Maybe make initiating a whispering a basic skill 9 skill?

However slight, a delay would help manage the pm spamming

Edited by Himeyasha, 13 January 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#35 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

^ I agree. I just made another new character yesterday, within a minute, I immediately got a spam pm. There was absolutely no way for me to avoid it at all. They have novice camping at the spawn spot where players begin, and the new character's name is immediately recorded from there. What pain.

I am aware that they already have GMs killing bots on a daily basis but this is still not as effective.. *sigh* Those bots are such parasites. -__-;

I try to put myself in a position of an entirely new player position, yes I'd be confused that if buying Zeny is legal at all despite reading the Terms of Service. Since these bots are running rampage and are not being controlled right away, it'd make me wonder if the GMs are doing anything. I'm not defending the zeny sellers or whatsoever, there really needs to be more information, and ESPECIALLY better if it's on the patcher to make known botting and buying Zeny is ILLEGAL.

The GMs really need to work on fighting their source as well, the sites. I'm really glad one of the ones that got hosted on goDaddy died. Well for now. >.< And hopefully the GMs can continue busting more of these Zeny seller rings and killing more of them...

#36 Jupitel

Jupitel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

They really need to kill the pm bots that hit you in izlude. 

I made a new character and I was already getting spammed at the boat. 

Maybe make initiating a whispering a basic skill 9 skill?

Why not make it an individual skill that you obtain when you first job change

#37 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

There is a delay. Bot programs have found a way to get around the delay filter without being muted.

#38 shamanix07

shamanix07

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

The #1 reason I've seen people quit is because they hit 99 and got bored. This game is packed with content for 1-99 but after you hit 99 it becomes very boring very fast (and forcing people to transcend and regain those 99 levels doesn't help either). There's barely anything to do or look forward to, leveling is slow, and the gear options are extremely limited. Someone mentioned quests earlier. The amount of quests worth doing in this game can be counted on 2 hands. For a game that's 10 years old, that's kind of sad. I come from playing MMORPGs that are loaded with quests to keep you constantly busy and having something to look forward to. Its hard for me to play this game sometimes because I really miss that aspect. I miss having to earn my gear and money through quests. I can only think of a few quests in this game that offer that kind of reward (the Eden quests were awesome and a step in the right direction but they end at 90 and then you're left on your own!). The game really loses all meaning when you can just simply buy your entire equipment wardrobe from vendors and cash shop.

#39 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

The #1 reason I've seen people quit is because they hit 99 and got bored. This game is packed with content for 1-99 but after you hit 99 it becomes very boring very fast (and forcing people to transcend and regain those 99 levels doesn't help either). There's barely anything to do or look forward to, leveling is slow, and the gear options are extremely limited. Someone mentioned quests earlier. The amount of quests worth doing in this game can be counted on 2 hands. For a game that's 10 years old, that's kind of sad. I come from playing MMORPGs that are loaded with quests to keep you constantly busy and having something to look forward to. Its hard for me to play this game sometimes because I really miss that aspect. I miss having to earn my gear and money through quests. I can only think of a few quests in this game that offer that kind of reward (the Eden quests were awesome and a step in the right direction but they end at 90 and then you're left on your own!). The game really loses all meaning when you can just simply buy your entire equipment wardrobe from vendors and cash shop.

This is RO in a nutshell. Well put.

#40 Farzywarzy

Farzywarzy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Server:Orlean's

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Probably the vending part also makes the game unbearable to some. Selling most of the items takes quite some time, unless you lower your prices. Dual client isn't appealing to new (casual) players, even me, since it's a hassle to make another "dummy" account. The players would rather continue on playing while their items are on sale / being auctioned.  So a proper auction system is needed imo.

#41 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

kRO has abandoned the auction system (likely because a proper auction system would nearly nullify the vending skill). It doesn't currently appear like they have any future plans for it.

#42 Jupitel

Jupitel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Actually, it's even before 99 that people give up. After a while, TI becomes really boring and repetitive (and you can only do it once a day unless you use reset stones) and unless you are a priest, wizards, bard or any well sought out job, getting to 99 takes an infinitely long amount of time. 

Let's not even talk about trans   :p_swt:

#43 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

kRO has abandoned the auction system (likely because a proper auction system would nearly nullify the vending skill). It doesn't currently appear like they have any future plans for it.

It wouldn't really nullify it. It just means players have to be more creative with their vending. You know the old adage: "Location, location, location." Would you want to run all the way back to town to buy something you need and then run back, or just buy from that helpful merchant sitting right there with the item you need? Veteran players with billions of zeny won't have travel expense issues, but newbies would.

You also have to take into account that using the auction house requires you to pay fees while vending is completely free.

#44 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

It wouldn't really nullify it. It just means players have to be more creative with their vending. You know the old adage: "Location, location, location." Would you want to run all the way back to town to buy something you need and then run back, or just buy from that helpful merchant sitting right there with the item you need? Veteran players with billions of zeny won't have travel expense issues, but newbies would.

You also have to take into account that using the auction house requires you to pay fees while vending is completely free.

I remember doing that once a long time ago.  I just set up shop on some random map selling pots.  I can't remember if I sold much but I did get a few confusing comments.

Reworking the auction house would be a good idea to make it easier to sell items that don't necessarily sell quickly.

Edited by Talvis, 13 January 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#45 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Ymir + Loki

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

because theyre no item npcs in morroc.

#46 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Classic

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

If I could I'd hire a newbie just to follow me around with a load of supplies. I hate using Kafra cards.

B> the robin to my batman

I have a swordie who can carry a lot... though I suppose you'd really want someone with a cart. I'd end up being the Odie to your Garfield...

Edited by jenkat, 13 January 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#47 coded

coded

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Location自分の夢に

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

hell no to 'noob turn ins'. its already easy as hell to level from 1-70, even as the brokest newbie noob ever. if you cant make your skills work for you, then maybe you need to try another class, because 1st jobs are all balanced pretty well and can easily level themselves. hell you can get to 26 on ANY class in like 1-2 hours just by bopping spores and turning in the spores quest along side it. I'm tired of this game worrying so much about pre renewal content and completely neglecting that everything theyve implemented post 99 is completely broken and neglected. you have entire classes that dont work right and need drastic repairs to function properly. meanwhile, theyre putting in 'jump start' events and spotlights for level 25s while the rest of us lvl 100s are forced to sit in TIs killing the same mobs all week long. 

btw i saw this on wikipedia and it really clears alot up of why iro sucks so much compared to the asian ragnaroks. 

Renewal has different versions, according to the server it is being implemented in. The 2 major versions are called the kRO (Korean Raagnarok Online) and jRO (JapaneseRagnarok Online), titled after the server in which the version was created. The differences between each version were made by the corresponding branch of Gravity in order to please their players, rather than having an overall brand of Renewal, which might only please a minority.

as you can see they are catering their versions for THEIR fans, but we can all go die in a fire apparently because anytime warp portal tries to customize our version, they threaten legal action against them (bunch of kittens). the only custom thing we have is TIs, which if we didnt have, this version wouldve gone out of business already because its 2-3 years behind on updates, has bugs that dont even exist anymore in asia, and the rest of the world that arnt beaten daily by their parents (yea im talking about crazy ass koreans), wont put up with mindless grinding anymore. there needs to be a point to leveling or theres no point to playing. the korean mentality is that everything should be punishing and you should have to suffer for anything you earn. that just doesnt fly here

Oda: User has been put on probation for this post. 

Yup the truth.

Although I must admit that this version of RO doesn't have any kind of bad protection (ex. Hackshield), although I don't know of kRO doesn't have any kind of protection what so ever but jRO does. I don't know if this will be hard to development one with one and one without it. As a programmer I know how hard it is to patch something without having to recompile and distribute a new executable and that will make people re-download the whole game again. This is a possible reason. BTW, the offset of patch will different between an exe file with hackshield and without hackshield.

Edited by coded, 13 January 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#48 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Revitalization is good, unfortunately most of those were removed due to players abusing them. 

</3

This is why we can't have nice things.

If HQ would only fix stuff around here.

Perhaps you guys @ WP can ask HQ's permission to fix things? If they don't plan on fixing iRO's problems, they might as well give your team a shot. :p_devil:

#49 Aizenath

Aizenath

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationCloser to hell than heaven...
  • Server:notRO

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Maybe they should make a in-depth in-game newbie guide or a tutorial system that you can read when you please, you could get some exp when you read it so there is an incentive to do so, like when you did the training grounds, that way new players would understand a little bit more about the game instead of jumping in and be totally confused, in that guide you could also add things like buying zenny is illegal, etc, etc.  I know they could just got to irowiki but it would be more welcoming and easier if it was provided in game.

#50 ottavit16

ottavit16

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:49 AM

Wow, this really took off.  If I were to guess, the typical new player makes it to level 90-100ish, where leveling starts to drastically slow down.  After the thrill of gaining new levels begins to taper off, the game's flaws become much more apparent.  Sure, there's that light at the end (150, WoE, ET, God Items, etc) but it that even really worth it?  I don't know.  The fact is - the game becomes boring as holy hell after 100.  There's just not enough to keep the "modern gamer" interested, and let's be honest people:  that's exactly the crowd we need to draw in and keep.  They will just move onto another P2W game and dump tons of cash there. 

Things like #1 just leave a sour taste in your mouth.  You learn to overlook it until you realize just how dated it is.  Same as #7.  Auction system, vending skills...  I get the impression that its easier to start fresh than repair RO's long standing method.  See mobile Ragnarok games.

Points #5 and #6 just show a lack of polish and professionalism.

PVP rooms have no incentive to be in there - just a way for people to duel and test characters.  There's some good 100+ content out there, but the amount of either trial and error or wiki-searching required to enjoy it is mediocre. 

Honorable Mentions-

8.  Bots, Spammers, Zeny Sellers (active issue being actively addressed, also has some benefits)

9.  Quality of mobs after level 130ish (RO was originally a grindfest, now it's just the last 30 levels, that's fine to me)

10.  Class imbalances (be honest, every game has them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users