#26 needo2

needo2

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Only aspect of this game is being online is connection delay
I had to kill Farrell and many other bosses by myself (with a low HP acolyte mostly gets 1 hit KO)
still offline mode WILL be hacked greatly

hah Id like to play the game at server computer or a computer connected it via cable LAN

#27 hsidnomeL

hsidnomeL

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

I read through this whole thread, which is basically the same two opinions being restated and rehashed over and over again, and felt I had to toss in my two cents.

First up, a disclaimer that will probably make me hated by a few of you. However, it's gotta be said so my argument has SOME validity to it. I'm an old school game hacker that has hung up his proverbial black hat. Please note I said game hacker. I'm in no means a true hacker as I can't brute force my way into someones computer or bypass a firewall and what have you. My specialty lies in memory edits, packet edits, and code injection. I've hacked MapleStory, WoW, and a myriad of other online games.

Notice I didn't list any offline games I've hacked. This is because hacking an offline game is about as difficult as breaking an egg with a ten ton hammer. Therein lies the problem with an offline mode.

In summary of this topic, the OP wants an offline mode to play when the server is down, laggy, etc. In theory, this is a great idea. However, having the game offline would require character and game information to be saved to the users computer, thus opening the gates to any number of game breaking hacks. Even if we rule out straight character edits, as character edits are easy to block and ban, there are MANY other hacks and exploits that could be used to gain a huge advantage over the legit players.
A few examples would be:
  • Invincibility
  • Massive EXP gain
  • Instant combo gain
  • Modified item drops
These are just the ones off the top of my head. Any of these hacks would be near impossible to stop if we allowed offline play that then linked to online play. A player could say... turn themselves invincible, up the drop rates of super rare items, cause monsters to give 10x exp, and have each hit add 100 to the combo. Since the character would, in theory, be the only thing uploaded back to the server, there would be no way to detect the hacks. Hell, you could even set monsters to drop cash items with enough work, as the item information would have to be on the client side to use them in offline play.

Also, while it's true that new hacks effectively make the game developers modify and increase the anti-hack security measures, there's no reason to add in a whole new set of possible security issues by having offline play. That's like saying, "Well, our police are doing great, lets give a crate of assault rifles to the local gangs so they can adapt and get better!"

tl;dr
Terrible idea. Will do nothing but destroy any possibility for future growth of the game as it will be overrun with hacked accounts and characters.

Edited by hsidnomeL, 07 November 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#28 mgon154

mgon154

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

I have an account on Schthack and can play offline. There is a separate set of files that you have to download for it though.

There are hackers now. In every version of the game. A quick google search will show the hacks that are available. If Warp made an offline mode and people made hacks that warp would just have to patch the exploit just like they will have to do with the online mode. All the hackers will do is enable warp to fix more bugs and exploits faster. In a way they are helping WarpPortal by finding wholes in their system.

lmao BAD IDEA. Can you say GOD MODE? I can, GOD MODE. Rofl if this game was Client sided to me then... well nevermind lol let's just say that would be easy, and I mean 2EZ for hackers to access. Your stas, HP and every other vital part of the game could be hacked in just a few minutes. That's why things need to be SERVER SIDED. If you put the server on your own computer then you can change anything you want. That is epic fail. The only way to hack server sided material is by 'fooling' the server into thinking what you done is legit. A server can be fooled, but when you put the server itself on your computer, then that's asking for someone to ruin the game. Point blank. Bottom line.

Edited by mgon154, 07 November 2010 - 06:15 PM.

#29 hsidnomeL

hsidnomeL

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

lmao BAD IDEA. Can you say GOD MODE? I can, GOD MODE. Rofl if this game was Client sided to me then... well nevermind lol let's just say that would be easy, and I mean 2EZ for hackers to access. Your stas, HP and every other vital part of the game could be hacked in just a few minutes. That's why things need to be SERVER SIDED. If you put the server on your own computer then you can change anything you want. That is epic fail

Godmode, I agree, would be very feasible and easy to use in offline mode. Modifying stats, while being incredibly easy to do, would be a bit trickier as it's very easy for the server to detect modified character data. Once detected, they could ban the account or, as was previously mentioned in the thread, corrupt the character slot so it was unusable from that point on. Modded characters are not what we have to worry about here. Modded game play leading to boosted characters is.

#30 Kokaloo

Kokaloo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Iunno, offline mode can be easy to patch
But the devs can't seem to find their way out of a computer box to help anybody out with any problems, so It's looking rather hopeless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users