Just Thinking Out Loud - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Just Thinking Out Loud

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

1. hire a competition director or establish a true anti cheat team

2. communicate  more with the player base on how to get more attendance for woe and  players  into the game.

3. start showing u mean business with players that use these programs  a first offense doesn't need a banning 

but deleting a rare item they would send a message to all and of course more server punishment for repeat offenders/multiple violations.

1. They don't have the funds. Apparently there are only 3 people working on iRO full-time!

2. Players can't be trusted. We can't have nice things.

3. That would promote RMT. Banning is better. What they really need to do is clamp down on creating alt accounts if mains are banhammered.

#27 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Maybe a bit of cheating was intended?

Seems to be the only remaining logic at this point - otherwise where would be the logic be?

But anyways, I really agree with zerowon's number 3 from above, delete their stuff in a progressive fashion!

Like when we we're kids, remember? Mommy would take away your toys when you we're bad?

/endmetaphor

#28 Aceave

Aceave

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I think the community is making great points and I am very glad this thread has continued on. 

Now we need a GM or someone to acknoledge what is said here, so that we know someone is listening.

I think i will start a new therad on what type of Mods should and shouldnt be implemented into the Game ( not saying it is going to be put in)

input on that thread would be greatly appeceated.

Link

Edited by Aceave, 06 June 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#29 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

something has got to be done on Classic.

(also wtf is up with all the +10 GR valk armors?)

The problem is this, yes, it's 2014.

not much worried about that, their momma taught em to default GRs and let the wrong sibling [class] to use it anyways, while poor poppa is hard working for $$$ to pay the mvp card debts.

#30 Fonzie

Fonzie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Server:Loki

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Wall of shame
Temp bans for cheating, perm bans for habitual offenders
The community actually saying no to cheaters (don't harbor them in guilds).

Insur being perma banned should be a reason for everyone not to cheat.

/thread

#31 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

I heard that some people (mainly the RMT spam bots) don't even use a client to connect to the game in order to use their bots. And I also noticed that some bots that bot for stuff like strawberries are in guilds. So here's what I'm thinking:

Program the server to check for client version. If the version is out-dated or if there is no client, have the server throw an error at the player saying they cannot log in until they patch the game. (this will also help with sprite errors and other problems people randomly encounter due to logging off after maint, but forgetting to close the client so it can patch.) Also, check the bot's activity. If a bot is farming strawberries, MVP cards, whatever, and is in a guild or trades to another character in a guild, hold the GUILD MASTER accountable as well. I'm NOT saying ban the guild master. But if it's a major guild that takes part in WoE, suspend that guild from being allowed into WoE for a week after a few bots have been found in, or supporting characters in the guild. If the Guild master is cooperative, with trying to reduce the number of botters, doing bot checks, etc, then those people won't be punished, but rewarded. With a pat on the back.

On the other side of the coin, though, I think the iRO team should also loosen up the "privacy policy" enough to at least tell the guilds when one of the guild members have been banned for botting. I have a guild with a lot of inactive people. I don't know who's left the game, who's on vacation, nor who's been even temp/permabanned, nor why. I KNOW at least one has been banned, but I don't know who, and so I can't really kick them. I contacted a player once, and he said he's been banned until 2020, but won't tell me what for, so I ended up kicking him regardless. But at least informing guilds when this happens would be nice.

#32 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Easy enough to fake. Would lock out real players their patcher is flaky as is

#33 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Bring the ban list back ^o^

#34 stockings

stockings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

somebody else posted this before, but

https://harmonize.it/

Multi-layered Security

Harmony utilizes multiple sophisticated security layers to provide maximum protection against packet editors and other unauthorized tools. Heuristic detection, cheat signatures and many other algorithms makes cheating pretty much impossible.

Network Packet Encryption

Harmony obfuscates and encrypts the Ragnarok network traffic, preventing packet sniffers from exposing valuable information. Furthermore, it prevents bots and other third party tools from connecting to Harmony equipped servers.

GRF Encryption

Harmony allows server administrators to protect their valuable files from being stolen. The Harmony GRF encryption is highly compatible with patch clients and utilizes strong encryption algorithms.

GRF Integrity

In the past players often replaced specific Ragnarok files to bypass game restrictions like skill delays. Harmony maintains lists of secure files, which are validated against a checksum list. It is impossible to play on Harmony equipped servers using altered GRF files.

Speed Hack detection

Speed Hacks allow cheaters to speed up the system clock to bypass client-side delays. Harmony efficiently detects and blocks such hacks.

Hardware ID ban

Successfully banning intrusive players can be hard. Using Harmony, server administrators are able to block specific hardware setups, rendering dynamic IPs and proxy servers ineffective.

Code Obfuscation

Many security solutions are vulnerable to reverse engineering, allowing attackers to study the code and analyze the code. Harmony utilizes strong code obfuscation, thus preventing such attacks.

I can say some stuff about Harmony, I don't know about the other ones, though.

Pros:
- -_- gave up on breaking through it after v2 (It's in v3 currently)
- Included RO Window Manager that lets you add new Windows to the client that can be handled server-side
- Included GRF Protection
- Blocks any kind of third party tools that are known yet
- The creator (Sirius_White) is also a member of the Diff-Team for RO clients, so he's quite updated about new stuff

Cons:
- The price (400$ currently afaik)
- It blocks programs like ROCha/RCX as well (Sirius_White is working on that, just look at his blog)
- Sirius_White isn't available much since he moved to another city

Actually, Harmony is more than a bot protection, it's more of a all-around client modification engine that lets you add interesting stuff to the client. The bot protection is kind of a side-effect of that.
Though, I forgot about the other stuff it does, it's written in his blog somewhere.

It's the best known and most (successfully) used anti cheat program on pservers.

The pricing is ridiculously low from a point of a company. Its cheaper than any GM or bothuner

kRO has no bot problem due to ID verification, so we wont see any anti cheat measures coming from them. either you buy this stuff or you do it by yourself which shouldnt be that hard for a company since that guy made that program on his own (LOL). or you do nothing and live up to the name gravity

Edited by stockings, 08 June 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#35 AMzobud

AMzobud

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Harmony is complete crap, It adds a lot of lag ( which iRO already has way to much, aside from complete -_- client ).

And it gets bypassed really easy. 

So you'll get all kinds of bugs and lag and you get nothing because people will still cheat.

#36 stockings

stockings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

^ bull-_-, seems like your server was

but we wont get it anyways so nvm

#37 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

Of course we won't get it. It's only compatible with a certain build of private server.

Besides, making something that appears to work on private servers and making something that really works on a real server are entirely different things.

#38 stockings

stockings

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

right eathena works different. my point was something similiar can be done or at least those existing optimized for iRO (shoudlnt be that hard), but sure it all depends on gravity. anti cheat for iRO is possible and its definitely worth it

#39 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

Harmony is eAthena exclusive, right?

Also, I heard that those people from OK will attempt to crack it if they'll get paid or something.

#40 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

any real botting fix will have to come from kRO and they havent really been interested since they dont have botting problems like we do..

#41 WickedElbow

WickedElbow

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

don't let the topic die.

#42 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

B> kRO account

jk but not really

Probably wouldn't be any use to you. Before you weren't able to connect to the server because of your IP Address.

#43 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

there are ways around everything! +_+

Except death. The only life insurance we have; guaranteed.

Edited by HeIIraiser, 11 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#44 Aceave

Aceave

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

Do you wonder y the gm's havent replied or even post a comment to this thread? do the agree with us or just dont care?

#45 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Do you wonder y the gm's havent replied or even post a comment to this thread? do the agree with us or just dont care?

Let's be brutally honest. They can't tell you exactly what is happening (If they knew) The only thing I can imagine them saying is that they are looking into the issue and bear with them until such time as it is resolved.

As annoying as it is, there really isn't any amount of complaining or whining about it that will change anything. It could be a DDoS attack, Which I think they have stopped mentioning due to the DDoS attacks increasing or just keep going when they mention it. Who knows. Perhaps there is a hardware issue. (Although when the new hardware is supposed to arrive is anyone's guess)

All I can suggest is bear with the game, I know it's frustrating, I know it's hard. But it will get better. We have been there before! We will get through it!

*walks off into the distance singing "I Will Survive"

#46 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

they wont comment because cheating is hard to catch unless they are actually watching and lets face it they dont really have the resources to do so... best you can do is take replays of cheaters and submit tickets... anything they would say would simply sound like pandering and wouldnt make people any happier...

#47 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

CC%20book%20cover%20paper.JPG?__SQUARESP

#48 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

The slogan sounds grammatically incorrect to me.

#49 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

The slogan sounds grammatically incorrect to me.

Substitute the word Midgarians for Americans :heh:

#50 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Isn't kRO free of bots because of how they manage their access? Though it's well-known that many Asian MMORPG are so well-protected that you can't even play them on Linux. Could be a combination of both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users