PVE experience improvement project - Foundry Archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

PVE experience improvement project

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

We've recently had several very interesting community led discussions about leveling on classic. 

The two threads: 

Turn Ins (like Ice Dungeon) and

General Leveling improvements both talk about needing to improve how people level on classic server.

Fortunately, this is one of the areas where we have some flexibility in changing maps and adding quests. I highly recommend reading both threads (I am doing so now) and we'll talk about how we can in the short and long term, improve the PVE experience. Both threads put party play as an important thing to promote. 

What we are able to do: 

Add monster hunt quests and change rewards for completing quest

Change what monsters spawn on what maps

Adjust what the monsters drop

I'll collect feedback from those threads and from here on what we can do to make a more fun experience for everyone. 

Low level 

Eden Style Quests?

Mid level

New dungeons needed? What kind of dungeons/monsters are important to have at these levels?

High level

Improvements of non Thors maps to make them more attractive to level at.

Challenge dungeon promotion and quests?

Also up for discussion is how to present these improvements and how to level in general to players who are new or do not get on the forums/website to look up events and information. 

SPAWN CHANGES

December 3

All Comodo field maps changed to reflect the spawn changes shown in the iW Classic DB. 

Clock Tower 4: Replaced owl dukes with 40 Clocks and reduced Elder spawns from 4 to 2. 

Amatsu Dungeon 1: Increased spawns by 50%

Amatsu Dungeon 3 changed to reflect the spawn changes shown in the iW Classic DB but with much shorter respawn time. 

November 25

Bathory/Anolian map spawns increased from 70 to 120 of each

Venatus on Juperous Level 1 now have no respawn time, let me know if this works for youThis was an excellent example of how to request spawn changes. 

Sphinx 1 changed to classic custom.

Louyang Dungeon 3 spawns changed from 25 to 75 Zhu Po Long Mao Guai from 15 to 45 Green Maiden from 5 to 10

November 19

Batholian map properly restored, with Anolians added to spawns

Mjolnir Dead Pit 1 map changed to classic custom spawns and the Tarou spawns have been doubled

Mjolnir Dead Pit 2 map changed to classic custom spawns and Martin spawns have been doubled

Mt. Mjolnir 1, 2, and 3 changed to classic custom spawns

Prontera Field 3 map changed to classic custom spawns and the Yoyo spawns have been doubled

Dimik spawn removed from Juperos Ruins 1

Underwater tunnel 1, 2, and 3 maps changed to classic custom spawns

Geffen Field 11 map changed to classic custom goblin spawns 

Morroc Field 1, 2, and 4 maps changed to classic custom spawns

#2 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

Low level 

Eden Style Quests?

Mid level

New dungeons needed? What kind of dungeons/monsters are important to have at these levels?

High level

Improvements of non Thors maps to make them more attractive to level at.

Can you elaborate a little on the Eden quest idea? I havent actually played Renewal so I'm not 100% on how they work. From what I've gathered they're kill counts with a cooldown that may or may not award gear in some form?

As for mid level we have LOTS of dungeons, I'd be much happier if you changed some of the mostly unused ones to be more suitable for play. As long as it didnt remove potential leveling spots from classes/builds.

Some places can include:

Ant Hell

Geffen Dungeon

Pyramids

Orc Dungeon

Payon Dungeon

There are a few more but these are generally bot heavy areas that serve very little purpose other than to contain an MVP. Changing them to something like Byalan with a single element or make them award more exp or just have the game direct players to these places.

High level stuff you may want to look at doing stuff for different PVM specs, Agi or Vit, single or multitarget, magic (what element).

But above all this, you need to create an area for people to use to meet new people, find parties and discover all this new stuff you want to prepare for them. If they have a place like eden thats accessible from anywhere and has some bounty boards, places where people can set up a chat and look for a group to do <quest> in <place> for <level range>.

You didnt mention changing exp, is this something you can do?

Edited by Themes, 16 October 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#3 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

We can change the exp I believe. Eden has npcs on the first floor that have relatively generic "monster hunt" quests as well as slightly longer quests where you are rewarded with the very useful eden gear. We do have an eden group on Classic, though our intent with moving kafra NPCs to pront and having a prontera warp item was to encourage the meeting of new people to happen in town. 

#4 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

i posted a bunch of junk in the leveling discussion thread but i like the idea of just a general pve experience thread BECAUSE IDEA:

timed turn in quests with leaderboards.

hear me out. speedrunning is a thing, just look at twitch. i'm watching a dude speedrun megaman x3 right now. what if we had a thing like that? it'd provide the non-pvp competition that, imo, ranker/blacksmith/alchemist lists have failed to provide. there could be several categories, such as singles/doubles/parties. actually, those three would probably work. access via chat has been used in several quests, battlegrounds, and probably other stuff. make em last i dunno, 1-2 weeks, at maint when they change give the top 3 or whatever some prizes. nothing crazy, just a lil' somethin somethin for going 2 fast 2 furious. stick a short cooldown (12 hours? i'm making things up as i go here) so people can't just grind it for the fastest time.

there should be limitations. no gods, imo. sorry, you have a million places to use them, imo this should be a fair(er) fight. since apparently pvm is e-z, someone could rock some TIs with belts so much quicker than a non-belted melee, or a hammer, or whatever i dunno.

mechanically, we already have the TI quests. we have a timer that can count down, so i wonder if that can be reworked to count up (seems easy). leaderboards aren't a difficult thing, see chem/smith/ranker lists. designing the monster competition/placement/map would be the hardest part, and if that takes too long then extend them to be like a month each or something. pvm: go faster. be quick. murder monsters. get prizes. sounds good.

i will probably vomit more ideas as time goes on, thanks for reading my drivel

edit: just noticed oda has A Great Avatar, good job @ beetlejuicin it up

Edited by ClickyHpen, 16 October 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#5 Rang

Rang

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Classic

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Nidhoggur Dungeon Please.

#6 Eminence

Eminence

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

Nidhoggur Dungeon Please.

#7 Jenna

Jenna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm ready for Nidhoggur Instance as well.

I think a great PvE improvement to all Turn-In quests is the option to turn all experience into either base, or job experience. It used to be a option for VIP players pre-renewal on iRO Chaos, and I thought it was a really nifty feature. I specifically remember it being in the Ice Dungeon event and the Abyss Lake 3 Dragon's event. It helped me finish off all first class characters that were already job 50, and helped me complete my Trans-characters to finish their job 70's.

Edited by Jenna, 21 October 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#8 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

That is completely not the point of the topic

#9 Ryokosha

Ryokosha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Server:iRO Classic

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

This is mostly my personal opinion, which is pretty radical, I guess.

I wrote long essays on how to "fix" RO on other forums over the years and collected a lot of thoughts on it, I can probably not even write down 1% of it here...

I'll start of by replying directly to Turn-Ins by saying: In my opinion turn ins are a HUGE mistake. Removing all turn ins completely and forever would probably be one of the first steps I'd do to fix RO honestly. Turn-ins ruin partying (especially on low level because all "elite" players just skip those levels so new player never have anyway to party with) and they do not really contribute to the balance that much, they just make ~10 more maps worth it, so there are 25 maps instead of just 15 maps worth leveling in. That doesn't fix the balance problem at all. Balance in PVE for me means that ALL maps are equally useful.

When there are 300 maps with monsters and only 15 are worth leveling on, the actually easier way would be to nerf those 15 maps to not be better than the other 285 maps anymore than trying to make the other 285 maps more worthwhile. Of course players dislike the thought of suddenly getting significantly less exp from their favorite level area monsters, but it's a necessary step. Once all maps are balanced you can still decide to increase the exp rate which then again keeps the balance the same.

Regarding quests in general... I'll say how I see it: If you play on Classic RO for the PVE you play it because there are no Eden Quests and stuff like that. You like that it's grind-driven rather than quest-driven. You like that you can go and level anywhere. What prevents you from going anywhere is not the lack of Eden Quests but the fact that there is only one or two maps worth going to at a certain level.

To understand what went wrong with the balance you better look at it historically.

My claim: In episode 7, everything was still balanced. All monsters gave exp according to their difficulty, no map was particularly good to level in, depending on your party setup (or class), completely different maps were better, too.

If you look at the exp and compare it to the monster difficulty, you can clearly see how much thought was put into it. The easiest monster starts with a 0.04 exp:hp (poring), then that ratio gradually gets up with the attack power, attack speed, speed, skills of the monsters. Even element has a strong influence on it (e.g. Undead monster have a worse ratio by default, because that's pretty much the most vulnurable element).

Amatsu spawns came and they ruined quite a bit of the enjoyment but not toooo much about the balance as the monster themselves were still balanced. Amatsu spawns were important for 2-2 jobs too. For example they gave a map for each item you need to hunt (for example a map with Flora to hunt maneater blossoms which were very hard to hunt beforehand).

Fast forward, because episode 9 only affected classes since trans classes came. Class balance was actually improved by all the non-trans skill updates that came along with it (at least that's my opinion). Not all updates were good and some felt more like "we don't know how to fix it so we will just double its damage" (I'm looking at you Bowling Bash), but that's off-topic.

So let's get back to the PVE balance.

In episode 10 onwards, balance started to turn to the worse.

The worst updates include (in mostly chronological order):

- adding more good spawns on certains maps, making them now better than other maps for most

- adding new regions that are by default better than old regions

- adding Metaling and some other monsters that just have a TOO GOOD exp:hp ratio

- suddenly realizing that rune-midgard isn't popular enough anymore and randomly increasing exp on some few selected monster like crazy, even though they are passive and not really good to hunt in a party, the biggest offender here is "Wolf" which has still super low damage but suddenly gives as much as monsters that are 10 times hard; other monsters include: Spore, Muka, Pecopeco, Munak, Mummy, Ghoul, Isis, Strouf, Medusa, Stalactic Golem, etc. while some increases kind of make sense, they simply make all other Rune-Midgard monsters completely useless and it just doesn't make sense that a much easier monster gives more exp than a harder version (alone that Munak gives more exp than Bongun... it's just wrong)

- adding super hard regions in which you can only really survive by completely exploiting the system and giving them super crazy exp:hp ratios (Bio 3 and Thor particularly)

- and the final ruin of PVE in Ragnarok Online: Addition of Anubis

- (also new world monsters just have too high ATK, yes you can level it in again by abusing systems solo, but party play just isn't fun if everything kills you in one hit)

So now that we understand what went wrong, let's get to what needs to be changed to improve PVE:

Low level

Revert all the monster exp and stats to how they used to be in episode 7 and older. Old wolf, old spore, old muka. The monster that are mobile and aggressive are the challenging ones, the ones that are fun to fight, the ones you want to go against with your small newbie party. Elder Willows, Orcs, Goblins ,etc.

Reduce exp of monster that came after episode 7 and don't fit into the normal exp:hp ratio based on difficulty (incl. element, mode, etc.) of the monster. Some big offenders are Metalings, Firelock Soldiers and Geographers. Align their worth with all the rune-midgard monsters! Don't make a single monster stand out.

Remove all turns ins now, they are no longer needed as all monster are balanced by default.

Also one thing to improve PVE experience for new players: Give a few more free Kafra warp tickets to a new player. Like 10 or 15.

Mid level

Pretty much the same things as in low level.

Remove Anubis or at least reduce the exp he gives to 7000/5500 or something.

>> New dungeons needed? What kind of dungeons/monsters are important to have at these levels? <<

If you make all maps similar useful, people will have a lot more maps to go to. There are probably field maps and even dungeons right now that are almost never visited, so players going to that maps again is just as good as a whole new dungeon.

I'm not really disliking the thought, especially if you could design maps yourself that actually fit into the world. You know, the world is not actually complete. If you check the west end of the kobold maps or the north-east end of Mt.Mjolnir or even the top-left corner of the northern comodo cave, you realize that there are actually spots that are supposed to have a warp but never were implemented. If you could somehow add those missing maps so that the world would feel complete, that really would give me personal happiness.

Just make sure that all monsters always stay balanced to their difficulty! If you want to know the math Gravity originally used to calculate how worthwhile a monster is, I can explain it you in-depth (believe me I've been thinking way too much about this and found so many mathematical rules in the stats of the old episodes that I probably could make more RO-esque monster stats than Gravity is able themselves ^^; ).

Don't just put a new dungeon that is more or less worth than other regions. It needs to be perfectly balanced. I mean just look at the current monster stats of the GH event dungeon. They don't make any sense. Exp/Jexp wasn't carefully calculated but rather "give all monsters the same no matter how hard or easy". A little bit more "love for the detail" would be really great and in my opinion not really asking for too much.

High level

>> Improvements of non Thors maps to make them more attractive to level at.<<

I think you got that part right already. In fact same thing as I said before. Rather than trying to make the other maps more worthwhile, it's probably easier to just nerf Thor. Half all monster attack and exp in Thor and you already have made the situation much better. Same change might make sense for Bio 3. The exp on those monsters is also ridiculous.

In fact let me talk a bit more about balance in high level area... the original exp:hp ratio calculation Gravity used in older episodes was basically like this: All endgame monsters have a exp:hp ratio of slight higher than 1:3 (0.33). In other words if you multiply their exp by 3, they will have a bit more exp than HP.

Gravity however then kept adding slightly harder monsters but never really wanted to exceed "slighty more than 0.33", so towards endgame a higher challenge didn't feel as worthwhile anymore as it was on lower levels. It feels like Bio 3 and Thor is were they tried to make "more challenge more reward", but the problem is that they simply went overboard.

The real goal should be to make it a gradual increase. There are those old endgame monster with a ratio of 0.35 then there is a region slightly harder with 0.4, then a region even harder with 0.45 and finally bio/thor hard with 0.5.

There are some dungeons that are challenging and fun but most monsters in them don't even have the old 0.35 ratio but are actually worse! For example look at Thanatos Tower and Odin Temple. Those are fun regions to play in because they are challenging and require a party without being too hard or too easy and you don't need to abuse the system. Yet the exp the monster give, stands in no relation to their actual difficulty.

Basically the gap from 0.35 ratio to 0.8+ ratio (that Bio 3 and Thor have) needs to be filled to fix it up.

By the way, regarding monster spawns. I'm not sure if they should not just be made 100% official. We already went there to 90%, now 10% maps still remain "buffed" but exactly those 10% are maps that DONT need a buff. This is VERY counter productive. We would be better off with 100% official spawns.

While I wouldn't mind spawn updates as much because I have to say that the official kRO spawn updates were really something interesting for me. All maps were different. It was like every existing map is suddenly like a new map. In fact: When I heard the spawns got completely updated and saw the changes, it made me come back to RO!

So yes, spawn updates can be something incredibly awesome and can totally revitalize RO.

But! For this to work, the spawns need to be very very well thought through. Do you really feel capable of doing it? I'm not talking about just changing spawns on a few maps, because that will just be the same old problem: It makes those maps worthwhile, but the others still suck.

I'm talking about completely rethinking the spawns and recreate them so that:

- all maps are equally as good

- all monsters fit thematically in the region they spawn in

- there is at least one map for every single monster that can be visited to hunt one of its items

Especially the last point is something to be very careful about. For example just removing hunter flies in Geffen Dungeon 1 and put in the old spawns might seem cool at first and it really makes sense not to have the hard hunter flies, so apparently it's a good change, but don't forget that this also eliminates the best map for hunting a hunter fly card. So if you do that you need to find another map that's just as good to hunt Hunter Flies on. Hunter Flies fit thematically to Yuno Fields. There are quite some candidates for that. Like that east-most yuno map that only can be accessed from the west, how many years did that map not see any visitor at all?

But this is just one example.

If "spawns from the publisher" aren't really well thought out it will just feel like a very custom change, that's hard to accept as official. But if they completely rebalance the game that it's actually hard to even name a single map that not worth going to, then that makes you go "Wow, they really know what they are doing."

Anthell right now has for example custom spawns, but they really aren't very well thought out. Officially Anthell Floor 1 is basically for hunting Andre/Deniro/Pierre while Floor 2 is for hunting Vitata. Floor 1 already officially feels quite mobby especially with ants hatching from all those eggs. Floor 2 feels it could need some more Vitatas, so you don't hunt for Vitata Card for months (or even just Royal Jelly on low levels when you can't kill Peach Trees yet!).

So it really doesn't make so much sense to make Floor 1 incredibly mobby with more Vitatas than Floor 2.

Better: Less Vitatas on Floor 1, more Vitatas on Floor 2.

That gives the two floors a theme and some reason to go to Floor 2 other than hunting Maya.

Also are you aware that the reason why all those Morroc Fields got destroyed by Gravity? Because they weren't thematic enough. All had the same monsters, they weren't recognizable enough. Instead of removing those field maps, though, you CAN actually make them more thematic. Make each map contain a different "main mob". Make it spawn alot compared to all other monsters.

Anyway, enough examples.

Other than that, I'll also agree with the "Add official content over custom content" that some players say.

I think that's all I want to say for now.

Edited by Ryokosha, 05 November 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#10 Misos

Misos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.
  • Server:Classic

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

Buff party-play instead of maps and custom quests. I want to see some bio3, al3 parties on this server.

#11 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Fix the spawns of Bio3 High Wizards if you haven't already.

#12 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

This is an idea that would probably be tough to use but I thought I might as well throw it out here:

Around when I first started playing on Renewal, I spent a lot of time in the desert south of Morroc. After getting a bit stronger (I forget the exact level but I was on a Ninja) I was able to slay the Pickys and Condors in one shot. For a while my training method was to rapidly dart from target to target and watch the experience points roll in.

I do not think it is a widely recognized playing style and I was a little disappointed to see that this kind of fighting does not become possible later on in IRO. (the monsters get too much HP for a quick kill, they get more aggressive and they get a lot more spread out)

I tried the same thing on Classic but my weapon was far too weak, (LOL) so by the time that I had gotten a better weapon, my character had already out leveled the desert area.

To summarize all of that: What about making the 1 hit knock out play style (against mostly passive monsters)  usable up until the level cap?

#13 RunningWild

RunningWild

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think the problem is monster density is way too low.

I did alot of leveling on the Hode map (Where Phreeoni hangs) and one of the turn ins is Frilldora, but there's barely any Frilldora's on the map. It took me almost 2 hours to get 100 kill count quest done for them, while it took me not even a half hour to do the 100 kill count for Hodes.

It's especially bad on massively populated maps, like Alligators and Geographers, with tons of bots running around all over the place.

It's so bad I'm ready to call it quits again. 

This game has too many problems, and they'll never be fixed, I'm more concerned about old bugs/glitches and this games busted balance issues that were never fixed than general PvM/Leveling nuisances.

#14 IcedCafeMocha

IcedCafeMocha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

How long before we hear anything?

#15 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

i blabbed about it in the other thread but again: bump up basic gear drop rates. i also agree with upping monster density, as i've taken my tk ranker to several maps for theoretically easy missions (lookin' at you, goblins) but maaaaaaan it's hard finding things. i'm kind of tired of just telling new players/returning players to level everything at wolves, but i find it hard to even suggest the appropriate turn ins (caramels/the squirrel dudes i can't think of the name right now). maybe bump some exp numbers up, but redoing the maps again would probably be a whole project (that i'd gladly take part in, mind you).

maybe slap in some quests that give you elemental weapon vouchers or something. in the leveling improvement thread i think i talked about giving out random 20% weapon cards, but that could be a bit much. elemental weapons are probably a nice baby step, with something else for the int classes.

i forget which thread it was, but someone mentioned advertising. while that may be iffy on gravity's end (funding, finding places for it), streaming it helps! the higher up we are on the games list on twitch, the more people can look at it.

also xplay, one shotting on classic, in my experience, gets kind of unreliable after a while unless you're grinding on very specific monsters. mobbing becomes more efficient, especially when you can combine these two actions (ohkoing high orcs on say, a BB knight). to keep oneshotting things forever, lowering the hp of monsters would probably become necessary, and then mobbing them to one shot becomes even more efficient.

#16 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

also xplay, one shotting on classic, in my experience, gets kind of unreliable after a while unless you're grinding on very specific monsters. mobbing becomes more efficient, especially when you can combine these two actions (ohkoing high orcs on say, a BB knight). to keep oneshotting things forever, lowering the hp of monsters would probably become necessary, and then mobbing them to one shot becomes even more efficient.

It was kind of a +1 vote for upping monster density and maybe making some late game monsters easier to kill. It would not need to apply to all training spots, just enough to make the quick kill style workable until near level 100. As fun as it could be to have every map swarming with monsters like a Turn in from Renewal, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that having too much activity going on would start to crash IRO. With single hit KO's more characters could still be able to share a map. Not that I would be opposed to making more mobby places.

The 1hit kO thing I noticed while playing Renewal, I wasn't able to do it on Classic without sacrificing loads of EXP. (I'm not that pro :p_idea:)

Edited by Xplay4eva, 04 November 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#17 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

It was kind of a +1 vote for upping monster density and maybe making some late game monsters easier to kill. It would not need to apply to all training spots, just enough to make the quick kill style workable until near level 100. As fun as it could be to have every map swarming with monsters like a Turn in from Renewal, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that having too much activity going on would start to crash IRO. With single hit KO's more characters could still be able to share a map. Not that I would be opposed to making more mobby places.

The 1hit kO thing I noticed while playing Renewal, I wasn't able to do it on Classic without sacrificing loads of EXP. (I'm not that pro :p_idea:)

oh! i get what you mean sorta. i can get behind making maps useful for more characters at once, definitely. the only problem i see is making it so those same maps don't get taken over by people who can both mob AND one shot, but i imagine heavy /wah usage or something could fix that. i would like to see a lot more maps swarming like a renewal TI, though! i feel like the hamster running the servers has been working out enough that it can manage the extra stress~

#18 brunalde

brunalde

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

I think the problem is monster density is way too low.

I did alot of leveling on the Hode map (Where Phreeoni hangs) and one of the turn ins is Frilldora, but there's barely any Frilldora's on the map. It took me almost 2 hours to get 100 kill count quest done for them, while it took me not even a half hour to do the 100 kill count for Hodes.

It's especially bad on massively populated maps, like Alligators and Geographers, with tons of bots running around all over the place.

It's so bad I'm ready to call it quits again. 

This game has too many problems, and they'll never be fixed, I'm more concerned about old bugs/glitches and this games busted balance issues that were never fixed than general PvM/Leveling nuisances.

#19 HansLowell

HansLowell

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Maybe its not related to the topic but whatever. I think the seal quest can help newbie a bit. But the problem is that a lot of weapons are crap there. Only Ice pick is good. Also the amount of weapons seem to be really big now.

I dont know if development team can do this.

But I would put Socket Enchant to every weapon you could get with Mjolnir Seal. To make them actually GOOD weapons.

Hellfire -> Hellfire[3]

Immaterial Sword -> Immaterial Sword[4]

Kaiser Knuckle -> Kaiser Knuckle[4]

Weeder knife -> Weeder Knife [3]

Rapture Rose -> Rapture Rose[4]

Electric Guitar -> Electric Guitar[4]

Slaughter -> Slaughter[3]

Azoth -> Azoth[4]

Bazerald -> Bazerald[4]

Book of the Apocalypse -> Book of the Apocalypse[4]

And some other weapon should maybe have some revisit too.

Ballista -> Ballista[4]

Slash -> Slash[3]

Anyway thats my opinion, its maybe not the opinion of other people.

Edited by HansLowell, 04 December 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#20 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

^ that's not a bad idea, but 4 slots in an immaterial sword is scary. 1 maybe ok.

2 for bazerald.

Edited by Xellie, 04 December 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#21 xVincen

xVincen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Are spawns been fixed only in classic? cause i would like to see an increase in carat, loli ruri and anubis on renewal :C

#22 Samias

Samias

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Server:iRO Classic

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

This is a really rough comb-over of the low-to-mid level areas to improve the experience for brand new players and make the dungeons equal to the current most popular leveling zones instead of abandoned/only bot worthy loot zones. Mostly it's a comparison of how close or far away enemies are to the average exp-per-HP ratio. While I find many mid-high level areas and new fields to be fair in their exp distribution, older maps are decidedly imbalanced and have been neglected for far too long. Especially the lower level undead, as the game developers were pretty cruel to solo support acolytes...

I'm going to call this...

SAMIAS'S LOW LEVEL OVERHAUL

TRAINING GROUNDS

I think right now this place is in a good spot. It had to be changed to prevent bot exploits generating risk-free zeny so we can't exactly change what gear comes out of here from the NPCs.

NOVICE HUNTS

Leave porings and drops alone. They have a turn-in inside the training grounds and aren't necessarily "exp" monsters to hunt. Lunatics are also fine as-is, or the rate of their consumable drops could be bumped up.

Pupa: Guard drop rates have already been increased. Slightly bump up phracon drops to match peco peco eggs?

Roda frogs, chon chons and willows: Double the exp and jexp these give. Increase the drop rate on all trunks willows drop by about 5-10% to make it easier for new archers to complete their test. Also, bring back roda frogs and chon chons to South Pront!

Picky: had their drops changed already, but I think mastela fruit is overkill and is going to cause issues. If we want a strong consumable to drop from an easy monster, why not consider hinalle or aloe leaflets instead?

Peco Peco Egg: Possibly increase density or add to more fields? Have guard drop rate similar to pupa.

Rockers, baby desert wolf, condor, savage babe: Double exp and jexp gained.

DUNGEONS:

There are lots of great dungeons to explore in this game. Too bad so many of them are not worth the effort! We don't need any special dungeons for new players, but I suggest that many of the first class suitable dungeons get overhauled heavily to compete with the popular maps and item turn-ins.

CULVERTS

Thief bug: Bump up exp gained per kill to 25 base, 10 job. Remove non-slotted jacket drop and replace with meat drops at a high rate.

Familiar: Increase 1s ribbon drop to about 0.6%. Change exp given to about 35 base and 20 job.

Tarou: Bump up exp to 64 base, 32 job. Greatly improve density on culverts 1, as currently the dungeon's first floor feels very sparse with its wide open spaces.

Plankton: Double base exp, triple job exp gained. Increase alcohol drop rate to 0.1%.

Female thief bug: +10 exp to both values. Increase 4s blade drop rate slightly.

Male thief bug: Increase yellow herb drops significantly. Maybe a slight increase in job exp gained but actually they're pretty balanced as far as exp gains  anywaygo. Increase density on level 4.

Poporings: Fine as-is. Low rate apple has already been changed to drop more frequently.

Drainliars: Fine as-is. They're just kind of there to be disruptive anyway.

Cramps: Reduce to 2 from 5 spawns.

PAYON DUNGEON

Mind the bots and make this place pleasant for actual players!

Zombies: Double their exp. They drop meat now, yay! Also consider increasing the drop rate of horrendous mouths to something like 2% to improve zeny output but not too dramatically. Increase density by about 10.

Skeletons: Double their exp. Chance to also drop skull ring [1] near card rates?

Boa: Fine as-is, especially with katana drop rate change.

See above: Familiars, poporings.

Eggyra: +100 job exp. Leave drops as-is.

Archer Skeleton: +100 exp base exp, +50 job exp. Bump up fire arrow drop to 50%.

Skeleton Soldier: +150 base exp, +50 job exp. Replace stiletto [2] with stiletto [3] and switch drop rates with dagger [3], making the stiletto the rarer of two drops. Replace knife drop with monster's feed drop.

Bongun: +300 base, +200 job exp. Replace one yellow herb drop with shoes [1] at a rate similar to munak.

Munak: Replace adventurer's suit with adventurer's suit [1].

Hydra: Bump up exp values by +20 each.

Magnolia: +150 to both exp values. Increase zargon drop rate to 12%. Increase scell drop rate to 15%. Increase garlet drop rate to 20%. Improve professional cooking kit drop rate to 1%.

Mandragora: Fine as-is.

Whisper (immobile): Leave exp as-is. Add white herb drop at maybe a 5% rate? Add fine grit drop at a 5% rate, giving thiefs an alternative monster to hunt to pick up their quest skill. Double silver robe drop rate.

Sohee: +200 base exp, +250 job exp. Increase drop rate of muffler [1], nurse cap, and stiletto slightly. Increase density of spawns on Payon 4 by another 20 or so (which I think puts it in line with what the classic DB already says).

Greatest general: Leave exp as-is. Replace club [3] drop with another trunk drop at 10% (so now they drop trunks twice).

Horong: Exp fine as-is. Double alcohol drop.

Nine Tail: Double job exp earned, making these a good jexp monster to hunt as they are already pretty difficult.

Dokebi: Leave as-is due to turn-in.

Overall I think a reevaluation of Payon dungeon 5 could be in order, to make it sort of a Payon guild dungeon "lite". Right now the mobs are kinda all over the place.

GEFFEN DUNGEON

With the proposed changes, I again highly suggest GMs keep an eye on the state of this dungeon. This used to be one of the most populated dungeons in the game for low level players and it should be worth it instead of devolving into a bot haven. Also, for the lower levels I assume this is going by Classic pre-Amatsu like spawns and not Pre-renewal spawns.

Poison spores: +30 exp base exp, +80 job exp (why should they have less job exp than regular spores?). Increase density in Geffen 1 so it really feels mobby. Change zargon drop rate to about 2%. Increased karvo drop rate?

Dustiness: +50 exp to both values.

Argos: Exp fine as-is. Increase yellow herb drop rate.

Jakk: +500 jexp, making this dungeon overall a strong jexp leveling spot.

Whisper: See notes on Whisper (immobile), except make the fabric drop rate 100%.

Nightmare, deviruchi, marionette, bathory: Fine as-is. Potentially look at increasing brooch drop rate on marionettes? Maybe make level 3 Geffen dungeon even mobbier?

BYALAN ISLAND/UNDERSEA TUNNEL

Again, this place has a lot of bots so tread carefully...

See previously: Hydra, plankton changes.

Increased density on all floors. I noticed this was already done. Ignore this! It's pretty good right now actually.

Double exp gained from kukre, increase vadon, cornutus, marina, thara frog, marse, obeaune, marine sphere, and phen exp by 50%. Increase swordfish and marc exp gains by 30%. Leave exp values of mermen, strouf, and penomena as-is. Drops are pretty good as-is.

Increase drop rate of ancient lips from mermen to 30%. Increase merman and strouf density of Undersea tunnel 5 to encourage parties as these monsters are a little tougher than average to solo and make this dungeon a bigger challenge for mid-tier players.

SUNKEN SHIP

Mostly covered by other dungeons, but...

Pirate skeletons: Double exp. Replace falchion [3] drop with a rarer Scimiter [2] or [3] drop. Consider replacing the regular bandana drop with the pirate bandana (lowering the drop rate slightly) and then replacing the original pirate bandana drop with a  pirate bandana [1] (again, might want to shift the drop rate down). Yarr!

ORC VILLAGE/DUNGEON

Orc warriors and orc lady in the outside field: +100 exp to base and job exp each.

Orc zombie: Double exp earned per kill. Add consumable drops (monster's feed?). Orcish axe drop?

Orc skeleton: +50% exp.

Steel chonchon: Exp fine as-is. Improve drops of all metals and solid shell by some amount.

Zenorc: Fine as-is.

Orc archer and high orcs: Fine as-is. Maybe increase high orc density on Geffen 14?

GOBLIN VILLAGE

Bump up goblin exp all around by about +50 exp and make them very dense in spawns.

ANT HELL

Ant eggs: Fine as-is.

+30% exp to all the ants.  +30% exp to the giearths.

MJOLNIR DEAD PIT

Higher density of smokie and martin on floor 1.

+50% exp increase on smokies and martins. See: giearth, tarou, familiar changes.

More skel workers and giearth on floor 2.

+200 base/job exp from skel workers. Bump iron drop rate up to 10%.

Myst: Bump up exp by about 20%. Increase trunk drop rate to about 30%.

TOY FACTORY

Have chepet, angeling and mastering spawn twice as often.

Chepet: Leave exp as-is. Increase matchstick drop?

Marin: Leave as-is. Adorable window dressing like the other poring family members.

Mastering: Replace some apple drops with something a little more impressive?

Angeling: Already had apple drop changed. Probably fine by now but maybe could have some drop rate increases overall.

Cookie (green): Leave as-is.

Cookie (red): Increase exp earned by about 30%. Increase density on level 1. Increase pearl drop rate slightly.

Myst case: Increase density on both floors. Increase exp earned by about 15%.

Cruiser: 50% more job exp.

Santa goblin: Increase exp by about 30%. Actually have them spawn here as a normal mob. The iRO Classic DB lists them as a normal mob here but I don't actually think that's true.

PYRAMIDS

Floor 1, ease back a smidge on familiars to make it easier to access the thief guild, or have some NPC for novices to shortcut to the guild.

Floor 2 seems fine?

Floor 3, axe the mimic spawn. Increase mummy spawn.

Mummy: Increase exp gained by about +300 base/job. Slightly increase glove drop rate?

Ghoul: Some slight improvement in exp gained.

Matyr: Fine as-is. Maybe add a skel bone drop to make regular zeny drops better (ha ha ha)

Isis: Exp fine as-is. Slight increase in necklace drop rate?

Minorous: Exp fine as-is. Increase density slightly? Replace axe [3] with axe [4] and lower drop rate?

Verit: Exp fine as-is, not really an exp monster anyway. Increase density?

Ancient mummy: Make worse than anubis in exp but not THIS much worse, since these guys are not as fast and are easier to hit, and drop the extremely valuable glove [1]. Maybe a 150% increase in exp is fair?

SPHINX

Bleh, this place is so heavily botted on the upper floors... Without GM intervention this place kinda sucks for humans!

Most monsters: Fine as-is.

Marduk: Double job exp to make him stand out as a great job exp monster, being a caster and all...

FIELDS

I'm only going to briefly cover some of the worst offenders of field monsters out there.

Prontera area:

Mostly covered already by culverts and rocker changes. Overall density increases would be nice to make hunting as good as Payon and Geffen.

Savages on Prontera field 10 should stay but elder willows should come back too. Improve their exp by about 25%.

Creamy: Fine as-is thanks to turn-in and great drops for their level.

Payon forest area:

See previous: Smokies.

Elder willow: Increase density of where to find them. Improve exp by about +50 base/job. Higher trunk drop rate. Have them return to Prontera field 10 as well! Also their maps need better bot sweeps.

Bigfoot: Make them give slightly more exp than wolves considering they're similar in difficulty.

Wormtail: Double exp.

Mt. Mjolnir area:

GENERALLY SPEAKING I have no idea about the spawns here. It's such a toss-up of Classic vs pre-Renewal spawns.

Coco and caramel: Slight, slight increase in exp per kill. Move the turn-in NPCs or change the map with the NPCs present so they actually reflect a good hunting map.

Horns: Improved exp. At least give them better job exp than regular spores.

Hornets: Make more common across the world. Exp leave as-is as their drops are pretty above average.

Ambernite: Double exp. Bump up solid shell drop rate to 1%.

Argiope: Leave exp as-is. Improve density on Mjol 05 and 10 by a large amount. Maybe add a turn-in NPC on Mjol 10 to simulate the popularity of this map in days long past?

Petites (ground and sky): Exp fine as-is. Have their spawns as represented in the classic DB.

Sograt desert:

Again I can't tell you about the spawns specifically here because they are split between old and new spawns. According to the Classic DB there are even some maps that don't even have spawns... Wish we had better info to refer to here.

Also, in general, the desert doesn't have the kind of mob density its big field maps need compared to Geffen or Payon.

Hodes: They have a turn-in but they're so heavily botted. Needs some more proactive sweeping.

Scorpion: Slight exp improvement. Needs better density. Fine grit drop rate needs improvement.

Sandman: Slight exp improvement. Make Sograt desert 16 nice and mobby.

Golem, frilldora and peco peco: They all have turn-ins but need to be easier to find with their respective NPCs.

Anacondaq: Leave exp as is. Increase drop rate of yellow herbs significantly and slightly increase in emveretarcon drops.

Metaller: Make on par with wolf exp as their stats and behaviour are quite samey.

Desert wolf: Slight exp improvement. Improve mink coat [1] drop. Increase meat drop.

Comodo fields:

GATOR BOTS ARE HORRENDOUS.

Megalodon: Yeah yeah I know this is beach dungeon.... Increase exp gain by about 30%.

Aster: Double exp gain. Improve drops overall.

Shellfish, Crab: Triple exp gain. Absolutely no damn reason for these guys to suck so bad compared to the average.

Raggler: Double exp gain.

Alligator: Leave as-is, but clean up the bots who are clogging up the turn-in.

Seals, sea otters, galapagos: Slightly improve job exp.

And one last thing...

Make mimics give actual not-garbage exp. By design, they are trash that only gets in your way. They are the universal supremely annoying enemy that's hard to hit, gives non-phen mages aneurysms with their speed, low drops of mostly poor quality, and they show up everywhere. At least give them exp closer to a rideword as they rarely show up en masse! That is all.

Edited by Samias, 20 December 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#23 Ecclesio

Ecclesio

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

This is a really rough comb-over of the low-to-mid level areas to improve the experience for brand new players and make the dungeons equal to the current most popular leveling zones instead of abandoned/only bot worthy loot zones. Mostly it's a comparison of how close or far away enemies are to the average exp-per-HP ratio. While I find many mid-high level areas and new fields to be fair in their exp distribution, older maps are decidedly imbalanced and have been neglected for far too long. Especially the lower level undead, as the game developers were pretty cruel to solo support acolytes...

I'm going to call this...

SAMIAS'S LOW LEVEL OVERHAUL

TRAINING GROUNDS

I think right now this place is in a good spot. It had to be changed to prevent bot exploits generating risk-free zeny so we can't exactly change what gear comes out of here from the NPCs.

NOVICE HUNTS

Leave porings and drops alone. They have a turn-in inside the training grounds and aren't necessarily "exp" monsters to hunt. Lunatics are also fine as-is, or the rate of their consumable drops could be bumped up.

Pupa: Guard drop rates have already been increased. Slightly bump up phracon drops to match peco peco eggs?

Roda frogs, chon chons and willows: Double the exp and jexp these give. Increase the drop rate on all trunks willows drop by about 5-10% to make it easier for new archers to complete their test. Also, bring back roda frogs and chon chons to South Pront!

Picky: had their drops changed already, but I think mastela fruit is overkill and is going to cause issues. If we want a strong consumable to drop from an easy monster, why not consider hinalle or aloe leaflets instead?

Peco Peco Egg: Possibly increase density or add to more fields? Have guard drop rate similar to pupa.

Rockers, baby desert wolf, condor, savage babe: Double exp and jexp gained.

DUNGEONS:

There are lots of great dungeons to explore in this game. Too bad so many of them are not worth the effort! We don't need any special dungeons for new players, but I suggest that many of the first class suitable dungeons get overhauled heavily to compete with the popular maps and item turn-ins.

CULVERTS

Thief bug: Bump up exp gained per kill to 25 base, 10 job. Remove non-slotted jacket drop and replace with meat drops at a high rate.

Familiar: Increase 1s ribbon drop to about 0.6%. Change exp given to about 35 base and 20 job.

Tarou: Bump up exp to 64 base, 32 job. Greatly improve density on culverts 1, as currently the dungeon's first floor feels very sparse with its wide open spaces.

Plankton: Double base exp, triple job exp gained. Increase alcohol drop rate to 0.1%.

Female thief bug: +10 exp to both values. Increase 4s blade drop rate slightly.

Male thief bug: Increase yellow herb drops significantly. Maybe a slight increase in job exp gained but actually they're pretty balanced as far as exp gains  anywaygo. Increase density on level 4.

Poporings: Fine as-is. Low rate apple has already been changed to drop more frequently.

Drainliars: Fine as-is. They're just kind of there to be disruptive anyway.

Cramps: Reduce to 2 from 5 spawns.

PAYON DUNGEON

Mind the bots and make this place pleasant for actual players!

Zombies: Double their exp. They drop meat now, yay! Also consider increasing the drop rate of horrendous mouths to something like 2% to improve zeny output but not too dramatically. Increase density by about 10.

Skeletons: Double their exp. Chance to also drop skull ring [1] near card rates?

Boa: Fine as-is, especially with katana drop rate change.

See above: Familiars, poporings.

Eggyra: +100 job exp. Leave drops as-is.

Archer Skeleton: +100 exp base exp, +50 job exp. Bump up fire arrow drop to 50%.

Skeleton Soldier: +150 base exp, +50 job exp. Replace stiletto [2] with stiletto [3] and switch drop rates with dagger [3], making the stiletto the rarer of two drops. Replace knife drop with monster's feed drop.

Bongun: +300 base, +200 job exp. Replace one yellow herb drop with shoes [1] at a rate similar to munak.

Munak: Replace adventurer's suit with adventurer's suit [1].

Hydra: Bump up exp values by +20 each.

Magnolia: +150 to both exp values. Increase zargon drop rate to 12%. Increase scell drop rate to 15%. Increase garlet drop rate to 20%. Improve professional cooking kit drop rate to 1%.

Mandragora: Fine as-is.

Whisper (immobile): Leave exp as-is. Add white herb drop at maybe a 5% rate? Add fine grit drop at a 5% rate, giving thiefs an alternative monster to hunt to pick up their quest skill. Double silver robe drop rate.

Sohee: +200 base exp, +250 job exp. Increase drop rate of muffler [1], nurse cap, and stiletto slightly. Increase density of spawns on Payon 4 by another 20 or so (which I think puts it in line with what the classic DB already says).

Greatest general: Leave exp as-is. Replace club [3] drop with another trunk drop at 10% (so now they drop trunks twice).

Horong: Exp fine as-is. Double alcohol drop.

Nine Tail: Double job exp earned, making these a good jexp monster to hunt as they are already pretty difficult.

Dokebi: Leave as-is due to turn-in.

Overall I think a reevaluation of Payon dungeon 5 could be in order, to make it sort of a Payon guild dungeon "lite". Right now the mobs are kinda all over the place.

GEFFEN DUNGEON

With the proposed changes, I again highly suggest GMs keep an eye on the state of this dungeon. This used to be one of the most populated dungeons in the game for low level players and it should be worth it instead of devolving into a bot haven. Also, for the lower levels I assume this is going by Classic pre-Amatsu like spawns and not Pre-renewal spawns.

Poison spores: +30 exp base exp, +80 job exp (why should they have less job exp than regular spores?). Increase density in Geffen 1 so it really feels mobby. Change zargon drop rate to about 2%. Increased karvo drop rate?

Dustiness: +50 exp to both values.

Argos: Exp fine as-is. Increase yellow herb drop rate.

Jakk: +500 jexp, making this dungeon overall a strong jexp leveling spot.

Whisper: See notes on Whisper (immobile), except make the fabric drop rate 100%.

Nightmare, deviruchi, marionette, bathory: Fine as-is. Potentially look at increasing brooch drop rate on marionettes? Maybe make level 3 Geffen dungeon even mobbier?

BYALAN ISLAND/UNDERSEA TUNNEL

Again, this place has a lot of bots so tread carefully...

See previously: Hydra, plankton changes.

Increased density on all floors. I noticed this was already done. Ignore this! It's pretty good right now actually.

Double exp gained from kukre, increase vadon, cornutus, marina, thara frog, marse, obeaune, marine sphere, and phen exp by 50%. Increase swordfish and marc exp gains by 30%. Leave exp values of mermen, strouf, and penomena as-is. Drops are pretty good as-is.

Increase drop rate of ancient lips from mermen to 30%. Increase merman and strouf density of Undersea tunnel 5 to encourage parties as these monsters are a little tougher than average to solo and make this dungeon a bigger challenge for mid-tier players.

SUNKEN SHIP

Mostly covered by other dungeons, but...

Pirate skeletons: Double exp. Replace falchion [3] drop with a rarer Scimiter [2] or [3] drop. Consider replacing the regular bandana drop with the pirate bandana (lowering the drop rate slightly) and then replacing the original pirate bandana drop with a  pirate bandana [1] (again, might want to shift the drop rate down). Yarr!

ORC VILLAGE/DUNGEON

Orc warriors and orc lady in the outside field: +100 exp to base and job exp each.

Orc zombie: Double exp earned per kill. Add consumable drops (monster's feed?). Orcish axe drop?

Orc skeleton: +50% exp.

Steel chonchon: Exp fine as-is. Improve drops of all metals and solid shell by some amount.

Zenorc: Fine as-is.

Orc archer and high orcs: Fine as-is. Maybe increase high orc density on Geffen 14?

GOBLIN VILLAGE

Bump up goblin exp all around by about +50 exp and make them very dense in spawns.

ANT HELL

Ant eggs: Fine as-is.

+30% exp to all the ants.  +30% exp to the giearths.

MJOLNIR DEAD PIT

Higher density of smokie and martin on floor 1.

+50% exp increase on smokies and martins. See: giearth, tarou, familiar changes.

More skel workers and giearth on floor 2.

+200 base/job exp from skel workers. Bump iron drop rate up to 10%.

Myst: Bump up exp by about 20%. Increase trunk drop rate to about 30%.

TOY FACTORY

Have chepet, angeling and mastering spawn twice as often.

Chepet: Leave exp as-is. Increase matchstick drop?

Marin: Leave as-is. Adorable window dressing like the other poring family members.

Mastering: Replace some apple drops with something a little more impressive?

Angeling: Already had apple drop changed. Probably fine by now but maybe could have some drop rate increases overall.

Cookie (green): Leave as-is.

Cookie (red): Increase exp earned by about 30%. Increase density on level 1. Increase pearl drop rate slightly.

Myst case: Increase density on both floors. Increase exp earned by about 15%.

Cruiser: 50% more job exp.

Santa goblin: Increase exp by about 30%. Actually have them spawn here as a normal mob. The iRO Classic DB lists them as a normal mob here but I don't actually think that's true.

PYRAMIDS

Floor 1, ease back a smidge on familiars to make it easier to access the thief guild, or have some NPC for novices to shortcut to the guild.

Floor 2 seems fine?

Floor 3, axe the mimic spawn. Increase mummy spawn.

Mummy: Increase exp gained by about +300 base/job. Slightly increase glove drop rate?

Ghoul: Some slight improvement in exp gained.

Matyr: Fine as-is. Maybe add a skel bone drop to make regular zeny drops better (ha ha ha)

Isis: Exp fine as-is. Slight increase in necklace drop rate?

Minorous: Exp fine as-is. Increase density slightly? Replace axe [3] with axe [4] and lower drop rate?

Verit: Exp fine as-is, not really an exp monster anyway. Increase density?

Ancient mummy: Make worse than anubis in exp but not THIS much worse, since these guys are not as fast and are easier to hit, and drop the extremely valuable glove [1]. Maybe a 150% increase in exp is fair?

SPHINX

Bleh, this place is so heavily botted on the upper floors... Without GM intervention this place kinda sucks for humans!

Most monsters: Fine as-is.

Marduk: Double job exp to make him stand out as a great job exp monster, being a caster and all...

FIELDS

I'm only going to briefly cover some of the worst offenders of field monsters out there.

Prontera area:

Mostly covered already by culverts and rocker changes. Overall density increases would be nice to make hunting as good as Payon and Geffen.

Savages on Prontera field 10 should stay but elder willows should come back too. Improve their exp by about 25%.

Creamy: Fine as-is thanks to turn-in and great drops for their level.

Payon forest area:

See previous: Smokies.

Elder willow: Increase density of where to find them. Improve exp by about +50 base/job. Higher trunk drop rate. Have them return to Prontera field 10 as well! Also their maps need better bot sweeps.

Bigfoot: Make them give slightly more exp than wolves considering they're similar in difficulty.

Wormtail: Double exp.

Mt. Mjolnir area:

GENERALLY SPEAKING I have no idea about the spawns here. It's such a toss-up of Classic vs pre-Renewal spawns.

Coco and caramel: Slight, slight increase in exp per kill. Move the turn-in NPCs or change the map with the NPCs present so they actually reflect a good hunting map.

Horns: Improved exp. At least give them better job exp than regular spores.

Hornets: Make more common across the world. Exp leave as-is as their drops are pretty above average.

Ambernite: Double exp. Bump up solid shell drop rate to 1%.

Argiope: Leave exp as-is. Improve density on Mjol 05 and 10 by a large amount. Maybe add a turn-in NPC on Mjol 10 to simulate the popularity of this map in days long past?

Petites (ground and sky): Exp fine as-is. Have their spawns as represented in the classic DB.

Sograt desert:

Again I can't tell you about the spawns specifically here because they are split between old and new spawns. According to the Classic DB there are even some maps that don't even have spawns... Wish we had better info to refer to here.

Also, in general, the desert doesn't have the kind of mob density its big field maps need compared to Geffen or Payon.

Hodes: They have a turn-in but they're so heavily botted. Needs some more proactive sweeping.

Scorpion: Slight exp improvement. Needs better density. Fine grit drop rate needs improvement.

Sandman: Slight exp improvement. Make Sograt desert 16 nice and mobby.

Golem, frilldora and peco peco: They all have turn-ins but need to be easier to find with their respective NPCs.

Anacondaq: Leave exp as is. Increase drop rate of yellow herbs significantly and slightly increase in emveretarcon drops.

Metaller: Make on par with wolf exp as their stats and behaviour are quite samey.

Desert wolf: Slight exp improvement. Improve mink coat [1] drop. Increase meat drop.

Comodo fields:

GATOR BOTS ARE HORRENDOUS.

Megalodon: Yeah yeah I know this is beach dungeon.... Increase exp gain by about 30%.

Aster: Double exp gain. Improve drops overall.

Shellfish, Crab: Triple exp gain. Absolutely no damn reason for these guys to suck so bad compared to the average.

Raggler: Double exp gain.

Alligator: Leave as-is, but clean up the bots who are clogging up the turn-in.

Seals, sea otters, galapagos: Slightly improve job exp.

And one last thing...

Make mimics give actual not-garbage exp. By design, they are trash that only gets in your way. They are the universal supremely annoying enemy that's hard to hit, gives non-phen mages aneurysms with their speed, low drops of mostly poor quality, and they show up everywhere. At least give them exp closer to a rideword as they rarely show up en masse! That is all.

you deserve a gold star. :no1:

#24 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

[spoiler]insanely huge quoted posts go here[/spoiler]

#25 Ecclesio

Ecclesio

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

[spoiler]insanely huge quoted posts go here[/spoiler]

perhaps you should follow the advice of your own signature. a pm instructing me how to do that would have sufficed, because i clearly did not know how to.

besides, the post was that important that i really do not feel bad having it repeated b/c the cm's need to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users