Fariseo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Location1st Heaven
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin | Freyja

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

I WAS JUST FARMING HHB BUT AT THE SAME TIME READING PUB CHAT AND ATM FREYJA'S PUB CHAT IS STILL OUT OF CONTROL... THERE IS A VERBAL WAR GOING ON, PEOPLE INSULTING EACHOTHER (ENGLISH AND PH)

CM/GMS DO SOMETHING

BUT SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS FROM PH (IF THIS HAT SUITS YOU, THEN WEAR IT), THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL SERVER IN WHICH ENGLISH IS THE MAIN LANGUAGE, I KNOW SOME OF YOU DON'T BREAK THE RULES BY TALKING YOUR LANGUAGE MASSIVELY LIKE THE MOST DO. I'M NOT SAYING U CAN'T SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE, IT'S JUST, USE ENGLISH IN PUB CHAT

PS: English is not my native language, but I always speak the server main language on pub chat... 

BTW, Moderators or anyone with privileges, you may close or delete this thread any time, as I only found this way to be faster to tell you.

Campitor: Hey everyone, 

Just popping in to clarify our stance on the user of foreign languages in game. We do not prohibit there use in game. Players are free to converse in whatever manner they are most comfortable in. Including English, Spanish, Navajo, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese,  smoke signals, or even telepathy. 

That being said it is HIGHLY suggested to have a basic understanding of English as that is how our staff communicates with the community at large. We do our best to assist when receiving communications in other languages but english is our primary support language.

For posting on the forums we have created a international section for each of our titles that can be found here: http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/forum/183-international/. These sections are to serve as a gathering point so that you can find other players who share similar backgrounds with.

It is never okay to harass another user because they speak another language or come from a different country/region. This goes for both english and non english speaking users. If you really believe that a person is using a foreign language to hide any illicit activities or to harass other users please make sure to screenshot it and submit it in a ticket tohttps://support.warpportal.com our GM team will be happy to look into it and take appropriate action. Thank you for your understanding.

#2 Maxscha

Maxscha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHide and Seek
  • Server:Odin

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

It's true. I've seen hurtful insults flung about, not only language insults, but gender ones too. Very sad.

On the other hand, I think it's ok if someone speaks their language in Pub Chat if they don't speak english,

are polite about it, don't spam incessantly, and have no other way of getting the help/answers they seek.

I feel insufficient that I can't speak other languages, I wish that I did! I try to help, even when I don't...

It really isn't too hard to alt-tab to use a free translation website. But I take those convos to whispers...

As (my understanding is) Pub Chat is supposed to be english as a general rule. Edit: new understanding.

I will never complain about not understanding others when I am in party or any other chat. For that matter,

I never complain about it in Pub Chat. I would complain about insults flung about rudely. That needs to stop.

Peace.

Edited by Maxscha, 13 November 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#3 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

i believe the war starting from day one on Freya..i just eating pop corn and watching the show after tired being mediator..

But still, unfortunately English in the international language and we need to respect..my mother tongue is not english but i still using it most of the time in-game or IRL..

remember that most of you made PH guilds and use pinoy there..

this also applied to others language beside english

Public=Universal=International=English..

make peace :handshake:

#4 VuoriDevine

VuoriDevine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

We had the same problem in Odin, and the staff didnt care at all hahaha
so i guess you have to learn to deal with it.

#5 EnvyEnviesEnvy

EnvyEnviesEnvy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

You're asking GMs/CMs to do their work ingame? They don't have time for that. :)

#6 Lostac

Lostac

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

The thing is, a vast majority of pinoys think that "English in pub chat" is racism....

#7 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

The server is international, there are no rules or "code of conduct" regarding the language to use in public chat as far as I know. Everyone is free to speak in whatever language they prefer.

#8 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

The server is international, there are no rules or "code of conduct" regarding the language to use in public chat as far as I know. Everyone is free to speak in whatever language they prefer.

Don't you find it disrespectful to send a message to everyone that only a chosen few can even read?
If it's for everyone it's for everyone, not The Chosen Ones.

#9 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

Unspoken rule in many mmo, globally chat English, local/guild chat your language.

There has always been a conduct, a polite way of every gamer on every mmo that has mixed languages.. English is the international language on any game and before English was French the international language and before French the international scientific papers were in Latin...

(Also I know Russian was for a time international but cannot remember at what point, so don't hate on me T_T)

And to be true when you have all other country groups speaking english to a point the surprise is "you are Korean/Mexican/German/Russian/American/Canadian/British/Argentinian/Arab/Chilean/Indian/Vietnamese/Japanese/Aussie/Egypt?!/Italian?!?!?!?!"

While most today ph players you know are because they ignore politeness and start speaking between them, letting the new players left out... this make me mad that this nobbish attitude is affecting real nice Ph players who stick to English as main language and home one as secondary...

Also should all the other communities speak on our main languages to annoy you guys? Because I found helping a Portuguese girl annoyed some players on payon since I understand Portuguese but don't spoke it/write it.

Oh and also, the servers are in California, Marina del Rey... so please don't even start why shouldn't English be used.

before I forget it, it has always been considered the local language of any server the one the client is written/translated. So~~

Also this fall under disruptive behavior by the way~~~<3

In general, not to sound angry but remember you guys aren't playing alone anymore, you are sharing a world and we share the same world, we want to laugh/play and have fun together but this is based on respect, anyone can curse after a fight but few can laugh friendly after the punches have been dished.

Heck, I found a really nice ph player who need it help and I help him, same with a little girl who barely knew english, but she tried and yeah I opened a translator and she laughed at some bad translated words, but was fun to get her to 50 and help her pass the test.

I love to share memories and smiles, yeah is awkward, is infuriating to not be able to understand each other with language, but our actions are just trying make the world harsher. I don't get mad at the player who screams for help in their home language, usually if someone is around who speak will talk to them between a private chat, if not one understand someone will try or wonder why it keeps looking at the same words, then the player will try to reach and we will have two totally different people having a fun awkward moment of barriers falling down and opening a new world for someone.

unspoken rules are made by the playerbase for a reason, to keep peace, to keep order, to make memories and to have fun.

For the TL:DR:

Unspoken rules are the base of any culture and mmos have them, also this falls under Disruptive behavior around C or D letter on the terms of service, mutual respect open doors while entitlement close them.

Edited by Kiryu, 12 November 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#10 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

Don't you find it disrespectful to send a message to everyone that only a chosen few can even read?
If it's for everyone it's for everyone, not The Chosen Ones.

No, I don't. On the contrary, I find very respectful to let everyone talk to whoever they want in whatever language they prefer to speak.

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 12 November 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#11 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

Unspoken rule in many mmo, globally chat English, local/guild chat your language.

There has always been a conduct, a polite way of every gamer on every mmo that has mixed languages.. English is the international language on any game and before English was French the international language and before French the international scientific papers were in Latin...

(Also I know Russian was for a time international but cannot remember at what point, so don't hate on me T_T)

And to be true when you have all other country groups speaking english to a point the surprise is "you are Korean/Mexican/German/Russian/American/Canadian/British/Argentinian/Arab/Chilean/Indian/Vietnamese/Japanese/Aussie/Egypt?!/Italian?!?!?!?!"

While most today ph players you know are because they ignore politeness and start speaking between them, letting the new players left out... this make me mad that this nobbish attitude is affecting real nice Ph players who stick to English as main language and home one as secondary...

Also should all the other communities speak on our main languages to annoy you guys? Because I found helping a Portuguese girl annoyed some players on payon since I understand Portuguese but don't spoke it/write it.

Oh and also, the servers are in California, Marina del Rey... so please don't even start why shouldn't English be used.

before I forget it, it has always been considered the local language of any server the one the client is written/translated. So~~

Also this fall under disruptive behavior by the way~~~<3

In general, not to sound angry but remember you guys aren't playing alone anymore, you are sharing a world and we share the same world, we want to laugh/play and have fun together but this is based on respect, anyone can curse after a fight but few can laugh friendly after the punches have been dished.

Heck, I found a really nice ph player who need it help and I help him, same with a little girl who barely knew english, but she tried and yeah I opened a translator and she laughed at some bad translated words, but was fun to get her to 50 and help her pass the test.

I love to share memories and smiles, yeah is awkward, is infuriating to not be able to understand each other with language, but our actions are just trying make the world harsher. I don't get mad at the player who screams for help in their home language, usually if someone is around who speak will talk to them between a private chat, if not one understand someone will try or wonder why it keeps looking at the same words, then the player will try to reach and we will have two totally different people having a fun awkward moment of barriers falling down and opening a new world for someone.

unspoken rules are made by the playerbase for a reason, to keep peace, to keep order, to make memories and to have fun.

For the TL:DR:

Unspoken rules are the base of any culture and mmos have them, also this falls under Disruptive behavior around C or D letter on the terms of service, mutual respect open doors while entitlement close them.

I personally was not aware of those 'unspoken rules' and they seem a bit rubbish to me. If nothing is explicitly said in the rules or code of conduct of that mmo, I don't see any valid reason why a part of a community should force another to speak their language. The "server is based in whatever country" used as an argument makes me laugh,especially knowing it is oficially recognised as an international server haha.

#12 MingMei

MingMei

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

They cant add it to disruptive behavior maybe if what they are saying consist of bad words 

its kinda racist

if a latino want to use his language to ADDRESS fellow speaker why cant he do that 

they are not talking to the general population but a part of it 

There are just thing that is more comfortable to talk to using our native language

for example sarcasm/humour sometime loses its meaning when translated

TLDR version

its kinda hard to imagine us ph players talking about local stuff in English let us be 

By default we speak english as well except when the Player we are talking to have obvious PH IGN

Edited by chaseme, 12 November 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#13 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

if a latino want to use his language to ADDRESS fellow speaker why cant he do that 

There are just thing that is more comfortable to talk to using our native language

for example sarcasm/humour sometime loses its meaning when translated

+1.

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

The server is based in the USA where the main language is English. Therefore iRO2 CMs and GMs speak English and they can only manage things in English. Players speaking non-English languages would be seen as getting away with things because they're taking advantage of the fact the CMs and GMs can't understand them and therefore can't punish them.

#15 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

The server is based in the USA where the main language is English. 

We all already know that. Try using something new, and valid, as an argument for this discussion. If the management wished to impose that rule in public chat, they would do so. As simple as that. Until they don't officially declare it in the "Terms of Service" or "Code of Conduct" or whatever it is called, everything people will try to put as an argument in favor of 'english only' in pub chat makes me want at the very least to smile.

Here is another well-known argument, and this one valid: iRO2 is an international server with no language restrictions ingame for the users.

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 12 November 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#16 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

The server is based in the USA where the main language is English. Therefore iRO2 CMs and GMs speak English and they can only manage things in English. Players speaking non-English languages would be seen as getting away with things because they're taking advantage of the fact the CMs and GMs can't understand them and therefore can't punish them.

Also, if a user is not polite and his attitude is bannable, he is infringing the rules for being an ^_^ and not for speaking a different language than english. It is a management problem if they can't punish him for not understanding what he is saying, not a user's problem for speaking a non-english language.

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 12 November 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

We all already know that. Try using something new, and valid, as an argument for this discussion. If the management wished to impose that rule in public chat, they would do so. As simple as that. Until they don't officially declare it in the "Terms of Service" or "Code of Conduct" or whatever it is called, everything people will try to put as an argument in favor of 'english only' in pub chat makes me want at the very least to smile.

Here is another well-known argument, and this one valid: iRO2 is an international server with no language restrictions ingame for the users.

Again with the international argument. Do you expect people working in Disneyland, California to speak every language just because we're open to international visitors? Or that the USA should have warning signs and announcements in EVERY single language? You people have ridiculously high expectations.

Also, if a user is not polite and his attitude is bannable, he is infringing the rules for being an ^_^ and not for speaking a different language than english. It is a management problem if they can't punish him for not understanding what he is saying, not a user's problem for speaking a non-english language.

In the past, WarpPortal did enforce that players speak in English on the forums and in-game for that very reason. Dunno why they've gone lax with that lately.

Either way, if they can't punish players because they speak in a language they don't understand, then that would just make more English speakers leave. And if WarpPortal is fine with players leaving, then there's not much else to say on the matter.

#18 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

But Disneyland staff or english speaking visitors do not enforce non-english speaking visitors to speak english in that fantasy world. Lolz.

In the past, WarpPortal did enforce that players speak in English on the forums and in-game for that very reason. Dunno why they've gone lax with that lately.

Either way, if they can't punish players because they speak in a language they don't understand, then that would just make more English speakers leave. And if WarpPortal is fine with players leaving, then there's not much else to say on the matter.

Was it in RO2 game? I am not aware it happened in the past. Someone show me where it is stated by offical sources that english must be the language spoken IG and I will change my opinion about their rights on this matter.

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 12 November 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#19 LeviRD

LeviRD

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members - No Sig
  • 504 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain
  • Server:Odin. IGN: DeadOnArrival

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

I am from PH and I kinda agree that (from 9gag)

philippines-trash-talk-capital-of-the-wo

its sad that its true D:

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

Was it in RO2 game? I am not aware it happened in the past. Someone show me where it is stated by offical sources that english must be the language spoken IG and I will change my opinion about their rights on this matter.

It was a long time ago in a previous version of the official forums (before RO2) that no longer exists so doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 12 November 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#21 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

@Kiryu
Beautiful post. Too bad it was answered with "rubbish" and disdain.

And yet that doesn't happen. Ever wondered why?

PH players are the only ones that are so insistent on realizing a player segregation. Everyone else is fine communicating with people from all countries -at least in the chat that WILL be sent to everyone, regardless of nationality or mother language.

I'm Spanish, so I'm kinda used to seeing my "language colleagues" misbehaving in that way, the language that I was most used to seeing in international servers after English was Spanish. But even then it happens scarcely and never for long. Currently I only see it for guild recruiting/searching messages (which makes sense).

I'll admit that right now it isn't as annoyingly frequent as 2-3 months ago, but if still happens way too often. I log in about five days a week for time lapses no longer than two hours and I always see some PH conversation going on in public chat, forbidding everyone else from participating in everyone's chat and littering their chatbox with stuff they can't comprehend.

#22 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

I do not understand why you think I was disdainful to her reply in my post.

#23 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

I do not understand why you think I was disdainful to her reply in my post.

Let me bold it then

I personally was not aware of those 'unspoken rules' and they seem a bit rubbish to me. If nothing is explicitly said in the rules or code of conduct of that mmo, I don't see any valid reason why a part of a community should force another to speak their language. The "server is based in whatever country" used as an argument makes me laugh,especially knowing it is oficially recognised as an international server haha.

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

If the CMs care more about holding events than keeping the peace in-game, then there's really not much we can do about it.

#25 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Ahh yes, I am disdainful towards the "unspoken rules" mentioned in her post that I have never heard of and indeed, that false argument repeated over and over again makes me smile, if not laugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users