Ragnarok Online II Delayed! - Page 2 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Ragnarok Online II Delayed!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#26 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Well Electronic Arts(EA) and Activision are the only companies/publishers that never delay a game. However their "New eddition to the franchize each year" was never praised. It's not unusual for games to be released a console generation later and be worshipped.

However there is that "Forever" title that gets people concerned...

#27 NeoSaro

NeoSaro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • LocationRO Ymir ex-Chaos

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

In my opinion there's some things that they should do:
- Release of the game in Korea, Japan, America, Europe almost at the same time... It reduces the money spent in advertising and the feeling of "when they get tired of it, we get it" etc
- Check with someone that knows English if every term they use it's ok and international and put it in every region. I don't think it's ok naming it in Korea "Legend of the Second" and in America/Europe "The Second Legend". If the America/Europe is the good one then name every version with that. And same with job names, skill names etc
- Map system: I personally prefer a single big map, but if they're doing with warps... the warps should leave you in the "same" place of the first map. I mean it's weird when you exit on one map, and when it loads the next map you're like 300 m forward.
- Use the buildings! I saw only ONE building with the door open in RO2 CBT
- If you want people to go to dungeons to get something for quests, don't just copy the map and make the people go there when they just leave half hour ago one place with the same look.

#28 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

I also think Gravity should address the problems they so clearly pointed out in this investment report. This is clearly a management issue, and they should replace their management that is causing this mess. They should also address their companies deficiency in programmers. Right now Gravity is working well below the industry standard. For example an artist is expected to be able to model and texture 2 complete armor sets in 1 day. They are expected to model and texture a 20m squared area in a week. This is only one artist, and I imagine there are dozens working for gravity. When you are working with a company of size, its expected you will lose some of that speed. You get that speed back by proper management which is clearly not here considering Gravity's games are not rolling in variety.

Considering Ragnarok II and Requiem will be on the same engine, you would expect development of both games to be 30% faster. However, it isn't. Considering the Day 1 problems still plaguing Requiem, this will need to be addressed if Gravity wants to make Ragnarok II a success. The most obvious change that needs to happen is a complete revamping of the netcoding, and storage structure. They also need to get with the times in programing and tech. We have a Gigaflop GPU, yet they are not using this incredible resource with OpenCL to make the servers calculate faster. We have had multi-core processers for half a decade, yet the games only use 1 core. We have had 64-bit processors since 2003, yet we are still locked into the limitations of 32-bit. We are about to advance into Shader Model 5.0, and they are still floundering on 2.0. All this requires a good programming staff. Programmers are the single most needed person in any video game, and it sets a bad tone when this is obviously deficient.

thats all well and good but have you considered that bleeding edge specs on games require bleeding edge systems to play? the average iRO player i'd wager doesnt meet this requirement and likely never will. if you want to make a game that can run on the most sytems, aim for bottom of the line 3-5 years ago. when RO was in closed beta forever ago, the specs required were so low, if you bought it in a box today the system requirements would have been something like "windows, 56k internet connection". back then all you needed was a 200MHz processor, 4MB D3D video, any kind of sound card and 64MB of RAM. back then, that was just about any recently (<5yo) made computer. nearly every computer made in the last 10 years meets the minimum specs of the game now, except when it comes to the hallucination effect but thats a whole other matter. the incredibly low reqs of this game has given it a great deal of market penetration which i suspect has been a major player in it's success. this could have potentially been a greater success today if it had not been so neglected. it has taken so long to get bug fixes and updates to iRO that people have left in disgust at the neglect. i dont know how it is in korea but in america, we have the expectation of satisfaction when we pay for something. when we pay for a handyman to come into our homes and fix something, if we find fault with the work done, a nail not hammered in quite as much as it should be for instance, something nearly effortless to fix with the tools at hand, if we are told by this handyman that it is working as intended, his ass is out of there and we hire a new guy. if he says that he'll fix it on a future update trip out, expected 6-8 months away, instead of pulling the hammer out of his belt and just tapping it twice to put it into proper place, his ass is flat fired and we get a new guy. instant gratification very much is expected in america, moreso if money changes hands and if a private company is not willing to meet this expectation they do not often last. i seem to have strayed off topic a bit so i'll just end with this, just because a particular feature is available in some hardware configurations, doesnt mean they have to or even should use it. things that would significantly narrow the pool of potential customers, like advertising that you're giving away free herpes virus in your porkchop sandwitches, should be avoided to maximize profit potential.

#29 Meshif

Meshif

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

Ragnarok II is never coming out, period.

Even if it does, it will be a major flop. StarTrek Online will look like a HUGE success compared to RO2.

It will all boil down to a few things:

1. your still dealing with the same company AKA piss poor customer service
2. 3D game AKA lets make a game like all other MMOs except much worse and scrap our unique 2D Sprite game.
3. If you have to start all over on a new game, your not going to choose RO2. Nuff said. That's one of the reasons most people stay on RO anymore... just because of all the time spent on it and all the friends made. Why do you think the new ygg server is basically dead aside from a few elitists that want to hit 150 on it so they can get an item and then transfer over to Ymir? Its because no one wants to start over and if they do, there are better options.

#30 kojiharmony

kojiharmony

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

BUSINESS UPDATES â?¢ Ragnarok Online II delayed to the second quarter of 2011 The launch schedule of Ragnarok Online II, a sequel to Ragnarok Online and a massively multiplayer online role playing game (â??MMORPGâ?), has been delayed to the second quarter of 2011.

tl;dr, but this caught my eye.

Are they referring to the KOREAN version or the English/International version of Legend of the Second?

#31 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Probably Korean version. There's been absolutely nothing said for sure on other regional releases.

#32 Recette

Recette

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

They make less than $40k a year? Wow, that's kinda depressing.

#33 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

They make less than $40k a year? Wow, that's kinda depressing.

I'm pretty sure the currency conversion in that article is off... XD Or just badly worded apparently.

By "US$37,385 thousand", they mean "US$37,385, 000".

Edited by morphine, 02 January 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#34 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Woa

Did any of you check the news about it that appeared through december?

To me it seems like they are serious about it this time.
And like they actually try applying what they learned from their mistakes with ro1.

#35 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Woa

Did any of you check the news about it that appeared through december?

To me it seems like they are serious about it this time.
And like they actually try applying what they learned from their mistakes with ro1.

Let's hope they see that trans and culture towns were bad ideas, lest we go through the same thing with RO2.

#36 ShadowOfLoki

ShadowOfLoki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Ymir (missing Loki)

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Rare drops seem to show up more often since renewal, i've personally had shields, armours and weapons falling surprisingly often since renewal.

Tell me about it. About 20 minutes into leveling at Stapos I got the Seismic Fist, a particular weapon I'd spent a whole month hunting for when I last played, which was about two years ago. @_@ Edit: I logged in two minutes ago and JUST got a Stapo card. O_O

I'm tempted to go hunting Roweens for the CBG. http://forums.warppo...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif;

Edited by ShadowOfLoki, 02 January 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#37 FacelessRed

FacelessRed

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

such a shame that companies lose touch with their game so much they can't tell what to do. its pathetic. and the people damn the game they play so much they drive away people that may come in and bring life to the game, you guys are idiots.

ro 2 looks promising again, but it doesn't redifine anything you're right. but I am looking forward to the translation of the RO world into 3D.

RO1 currently renewal is fine. there just needs to be MORE TO DO. with the change of the exp and fighting and all that they shoulda looked into the fact that almost no one can actually use their new Skills as 3rd classes for AGES, therefore completely eliminating the actual entertainment factor of becoming the new classes.

And i do agree a 3D overhaul of ragnarok 1 would be nice, not changing the 2D sprites dont be dumb. but buffing out the already made maps and stuff with more details and well rounded 3D environments would be awesome in my opinion. .. thats all i wanted to say.

#38 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

I just wish they would have developed a interesting combat system I can't play Point, Click, Cast with much enthusiasm anymore. Mabinogi has spoiled me. Also I really really want to see Swordsticks return. I liked those in the original RO2

Edited by Maka, 02 January 2011 - 05:55 PM.

#39 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

And i do agree a 3D overhaul of ragnarok 1 would be nice, not changing the 2D sprites dont be dumb. but buffing out the already made maps and stuff with more details and well rounded 3D environments would be awesome in my opinion. .. thats all i wanted to say.

you might be disapointed, its taken alot from WoW but its kept RO look and sounds, classes/skills
if they work hard on the dungeons it could still be rly awesome

#40 Aozora

Aozora

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

one of the problems with ro is that there is no end game, the incredibly long time spent grinding to 150 is rewarded by... nothing. you do exactly the same thing you did at 140 or 145. the only difference is you can now stun ppl in woe/pvp who are lower level than you, lulz

#41 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Let's hope they see that trans and culture towns were bad ideas, lest we go through the same thing with RO2.

I wouldn't say Transcendants ruined RO. What makes RO so frustrating is the time it takes to get to be a transcendent. Level is just to tedious and boring. People without the drive and dedication to spend countless hours, days, weeks, months!, killing the same thing over and over and over and over again won't ever really see these classes. And when you start out, probably the most exciting part of RO is the job system. I remember it being so excited to get to 2nd class, and then you get there and what else do you do?

I think the enormous gap between getting your second job and transcending needs to be drastically shortened especially if you want a new generation players to even attempt to play. I think that gap is what drives a lot of people to go play illegal servers, with higher rates. Because RO is simply a huge huge time investment. And sadly, in 2011 there are better things to waste that time on.

#42 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

I wouldn't say Transcendants ruined RO. What makes RO so frustrating is the time it takes to get to be a transcendent. Level is just to tedious and boring. People without the drive and dedication to spend countless hours, days, weeks, months!, killing the same thing over and over and over and over again won't ever really see these classes. And when you start out, probably the most exciting part of RO is the job system. I remember it being so excited to get to 2nd class, and then you get there and what else do you do?

I think the enormous gap between getting your second job and transcending needs to be drastically shortened especially if you want a new generation players to even attempt to play. I think that gap is what drives a lot of people to go play illegal servers, with higher rates. Because RO is simply a huge huge time investment. And sadly, in 2011 there are better things to waste that time on.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. With renewal, 1-99 non-trans is a very short amount of playing time, especially compared to 3rd class. It is quite easy with an average character, starting from scratch with no KP, zeny, friends, or gear to 99 in a week or two with only casual levelling. If a week of playtime is that daunting, getting to trans is the least of that player's problems.

I would say that it's much more of a problem that most people feel that before you trans, you are basically useless.

#43 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. With renewal, 1-99 non-trans is a very short amount of playing time, especially compared to 3rd class. It is quite easy with an average character, starting from scratch with no KP, zeny, friends, or gear to 99 in a week or two with only casual levelling. If a week of playtime is that daunting, getting to trans is the least of that player's problems.

I would say that it's much more of a problem that most people feel that before you trans, you are basically useless.

Well my viewpoint is still pre-renewal since I haven't done more than looked at renewal. When I found out they ruined my class, I gave up on RO1.

#44 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

There was a Korean game that was scrapped (amongst the many many other short-lived Korean MMO games) that I felt had some nice ideas outside of grinding. They never got around to implementing them but they had ideas for a house system where players would buy their own place and customise it or a guild hall with greater options to customize. Mini-games (some multiplayer) that gave EXP or prizes such as a chess + rock/paper/scissors crossver game featuring monsters from the game as pieces, a typing game, UFO catcher game and a cards game. There was also supposed to be some Mario Party-esque games in arcade buildings. They also had plans for 'cafes' which led to a different game mode specifically for social hangout spots. The game was called Shining Lore it had a English beta planned but never made it.
http://www.eurogamer...s/p_shininglore

Personally I like RO1's 2D style so RO2 isn't of much interest.

Edited by soudou, 03 January 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#45 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

i think every ragnarok fan will atleast try it (if it gets released!)
im playing the 2nd CBT right now and although its not the game i wanted it to be its still rly fun
something about a 9ft rocker bouncing up to you with a microphone that never gets old to me
i dont think its a threat to RO1 no because its very different game, i think most fans would play both

its fun, good game im not sure :unsure:

#46 Zuesistheend

Zuesistheend

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

Actually i'm glad. I know that seems crazy but the more time they have to work on the game the better it will be. Far as i'm concerned Gravity can keep working on Ragnarok II till 2012.

The first Look at Ragnarok II in my opinion looked decent, A step in the right direction. I would love to see Gravity continue to tweak the performance and graphics. I'm not asking for High end Dx11 stuff here, just when dealing with 3D models, its a must have to create the perfect animations not to mention character features. I think Ragnarok II holds a lot of potential, I just want to see Gravity reach that mile stone.

#47 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Actually i'm glad. I know that seems crazy but the more time they have to work on the game the better it will be. Far as i'm concerned Gravity can keep working on Ragnarok II till 2012.

The first Look at Ragnarok II in my opinion looked decent, A step in the right direction. I would love to see Gravity continue to tweak the performance and graphics. I'm not asking for High end Dx11 stuff here, just when dealing with 3D models, its a must have to create the perfect animations not to mention character features. I think Ragnarok II holds a lot of potential, I just want to see Gravity reach that mile stone.

no dont expect amazing gfx, pretty in places
animation is bad too haha, like retro 3d
some parts of it still look 2d, which i think works quite well
loads rly fast tho still rly buggy too :wub:
lots quest lvling, i hope that changes later on like wow dus :unsure:

#48 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

I've always thought that trans classes were unnecessary. I mean, you go through leveling your character from novice class with harder EXP rates for what?

Some extra skills, which could've easily just been added to 2nd class skill trees.
A different character sprite, which they could've just added as alternative outfits like they're doing now.
Bonus stats, which have basically been made meaningless with the introduction of 3rd Classes.

Then you have that 100 extra skill points as a High Novice, but really, a new player would rather go straight to 3rd Class than go through leveling their characters again on hard mode for more skill points. Unless they're WoE- or PVP-oriented.

I was unlucky to have joined RO just shortly after trans classes were introduced. Almost everyone I met in the beginning were all of the "trans or GTFO" mentality, which annoyed me to no end. If anything, those who try out RO2 will most likely be fans of the pre-trans era of RO.

#49 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

i think every ragnarok fan will atleast try it (if it gets released!)
im playing the 2nd CBT right now and although its not the game i wanted it to be its still rly fun
something about a 9ft rocker bouncing up to you with a microphone that never gets old to me
i dont think its a threat to RO1 no because its very different game, i think most fans would play both

its fun, good game im not sure :unsure:

How are you playing? I have an account but whenever I click game start I get some error message in Korean. Did you have to unify it?

#50 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

one of the problems with ro is that there is no end game, the incredibly long time spent grinding to 150 is rewarded by... nothing. you do exactly the same thing you did at 140 or 145. the only difference is you can now stun ppl in woe/pvp who are lower level than you, lulz

My guess is, the devs were expecting the journey to 150 to be the game and not; you get to 150 then play the game like most end game based mmos are. They figured you would take your time getting to 150 partying with people, getting to know people with mvping, woeing, etc being something you do on the side and not just the goal. That's probably part of the reason why Asian gamers appear to be more into grind because to them, partying to get the levels is the game. And if it takes a long time, who cares, you're doing it with friends instead of seeing them as a drag on exp like our mentality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users