12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it - Archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

12/2 Latency, Disconnections and what is being done about it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
224 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Many comments and complaints have been heard regarding the latency and disconnections that have been occuring recently. We have had several seperate incidents that have accumulated together creating an overall bad game play experience in the past 7 weeks.

I want to talk about what has happened in the past week. We have been making numerous optimizations over the past months to find sources of lag and eliminate it. Things were going as well as expected with such a long term project, when our normally stable ISP began having its own problems. We had several downed routers throughout the internet (not all of them from our ISP) when that happens the network traffic redirects to less optimal routes that creates lag for the users. This is normal, it sucks when it happens but it is not an odd occurance in the internet world.

And then things got real.. a constuction project severed the lines from our Data Center completely cutting WarpPortal off from the world for almost a full day. This was repaired, but things were never quite the same. We began analyzing all packets coming in with a monitoring tool that was on loan, and it was illuminating for where bottlenecks were on our back end network (game servers, routers and DBs). Many optimizations were made over the weeks and regular improvements were noticed, which is expected given the size of such a project. However, at that time those pesky routers were not behaving and many connections between ISPs were very poor routings which causes more latency than would otherwise be there. We could see these problems as well, and reported them to the ISP which then negotiated and worked with the responsible people for the routers.

Things were fairly well sorted out by Tuesday of last week, there was 1 bad router that was being looked into on NTT side, and then the DDOS started on Thursday which made our services unavailable. This DDOS continues through now. Early this morning we hoped to perform a repair and check session at our IDC, this requires help from the Data Center and ISP staff. It was cancelled due to a work scheduling problem. We are doing the appropriate steps to mitigate the DDOS, which is extra annoying because the attack vector is fluctuating, and not persistent. We have taken appropriate prevention and repair procedures to lessen the damage, but due to the way internet traffic must work it is not possible to "turtle up" and still get legit traffic to get through. Our ISP and IDC is working with us but a final solution that doesn't kill normal traffic only comes with time or when the DDOS person stops (or is stopped).

I do expect the the latency and DCs to continue at some level for the next day or so. I do know we will be providing some treats as an apology and to help get you where you should have been. We will weather the storm and come out ahead in the end.

Update December 2,

So we have finally gotten a good read on the metrics data from the attack... And yes it is a ZDOS this means infected computers around the internet are a part of the coordinated attacks. While this likely isn't surprising, the data from the history is suggesting this DDOS may have been slowly building since October and is a contributer to the overall lag...

Matching those IPs that are hitting us now matches many IPs of normal RO players.. so with that in mind I request

VIRUS SCAN YOUR COMPUTERS!!!!1!

#2 porty

porty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationDunedin, New Zealand.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

Good to see things are in the pipeline but to be quite honest the most reasonable step you could take for the forseeable future is to remove the death EXP penalty.

My gameplay experience is never good at the best of times due to my location but this week has been extra horrible and today especially i have been D/Cd 4 or 5 times and killed due to lag 10 maybe 12 times, which having bought some HEBMs from the kafra shop for the first time to try and make an effort in levelling hasn't left me thrilled to bits to say the least. I have used 5 so far and i havn't gained anything at all.

And to top things off i wait ages to get into geffenia only to be D/Cd and find myself back at the fountain again, minus EXP and a HEBM still ticking away.... not good Heim, not good.

#3 BlackPotato

BlackPotato

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationIris born, loud and proud!
  • Server:Iris

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

just fix it. i dont care, just fix it. and compensate us well for 2 days of unplayable lag and likely more now

#4 Theoretical

Theoretical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
  • Server:25-Life

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

Heim, your much more active in forums lately. We (community) like that.

#5 Kahlev

Kahlev

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

As much as i like treats, please don't give away anything until the problem appears to have been solved. It only gets more frustrating when we know there is some kind of "event" going on in the games, but the only event we are able to participate in is the "100% server/connection drop" one.

It may piss a few people off, but in the long run it should prove to be better for the player base if you hold off on any kind of compensation until players are actually able to play.

Edited by Kahlev, 30 November 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Evionne

Evionne

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

I agree with Kahlev... There's "please don't hate us" compensation, and then there's "Hell yes! Everything is fine again" compensation. One has a better feel to it than the other, and not to mention has a better chance of being used to it's fullest.

I hope we get that one quest proposal that was made during the OCA fiasco, just spread it out for everything and keep the cute hat reward. Kind of like a "Yeah, things used to be :p_devil:, but now let's laugh about it!" kind of thing.~ (And since it takes 1-6 months for an item approval, maybe a voucher that can substitute and have a turn-in NPC later on.)

#7 Freedom

Freedom

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1630 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

First off, Thanks Heim for the up date. I gave up on lvling do to this fact that I knwo if I try I will lag and most likly die. Now for anyone that is trying to lvl right now. How can you-_- at the gm team for your own stupidity. You people know there is problems the last few days but yet you keep trying to lvl and keep dieing then coming here and bitching that you lost this and that. I dont feel sorry for you at all. Yes I know you pay to play and eventhing and have the right to lvl. how ever the gm said they are under attack and giving you updates and things. yet you keep dieing and you keep coming to the forums and helling and screaming about it. You know what, stop your bitching and just hol d out when they finally fix the issue like I am doing. Yes I have not been able to lvl the past 2 days, but I am playing it safe.

#8 fearfulways

fearfulways

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

a 200% exp event would be pretty awesome....the exp adjustment due to level gap is really annoying.

#9 ephinyus

ephinyus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

You should post this as a Warpportal announcement so people in all games can see it Posted Image

#10 LadyArthur

LadyArthur

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationWhere alcohol and cookies rule
  • Server:Alcohol City

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Too late.

#11 Risami

Risami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

is it possible we get a no loss exp penalty cause of this? it be nice cause i notice this game feels unstable to play i am lucky to find myself alive but when i was in a party some died cause of it.

#12 Theoretical

Theoretical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
  • Server:25-Life

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

I agree with Kahlev... There's "please don't hate us" compensation, and then there's "Hell yes! Everything is fine again" compensation. One has a better feel to it than the other, and not to mention has a better chance of being used to it's fullest.

I hope we get that one quest proposal that was made during the OCA fiasco, just spread it out for everything and keep the cute hat reward. Kind of like a "Yeah, things used to be :p_devil:, but now let's laugh about it!" kind of thing.~ (And since it takes 1-6 months for an item approval, maybe a voucher that can substitute and have a turn-in NPC later on.)

Yes, +1 to the quest I made.

#13 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

Thank you Heimdallr.

#14 Kiun

Kiun

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

As much as i like treats, please don't give away anything until the problem appears to have been solved.

Seconded. Or Thirded by now. Who knows.

#15 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Can't even connect to the game, I sit in town and get disconnected... Says out of paid time...
Server went from 300 people to like 170 after I got d/cd. Ping was above 500. This is just sort of ridiculous.

#16 aurum

aurum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

if this continues pretty sure you don't have to worry about latency anymore cause there won't be any player :p_devil:

#17 Fatboy21007

Fatboy21007

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

lmao!. dos attacks. this is wat the 10th one in the past 2 years... Say where is ur security their for the servers n isp? seems like things come n go as they please. anyhow i highly doubt that when the dos attack is cutt off the problams will be solved. im 100% sure that itll still be the same afterwards. So lets see when the moron geek is done spaming u if u actually helped with lag issues :-)

#18 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

I blame Insur for the DDOS.

#19 xfusion

xfusion

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

thanks heim this is what i was looking for, but please god add no exp loss on death to make us a little bit happier with the situation?

#20 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

haha scott right!, DDOS started the day after heim banned them 30 hardcare nerdy player
blame Insur! punch them and put it on youtube
nah i duno...hope u get it fixed! x

#21 Goldysticks

Goldysticks

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

K, Gravity doesn't make patches, the game developers do. Gravity just hosts the games. Would you prefer no response or a response from Gravity? Plus, Gravity has made some posts about the IP issues, you probably didn't read any of their posts. If a powerline got cut, how is that an excuse? That's something gravity can't control.

Does Gravity know if the DDOS attacks can be linked to a certain ip address or something? I noticed on DS last week it was fine to play until yesterday.

#22 BlackPotato

BlackPotato

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationIris born, loud and proud!
  • Server:Iris

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

I blame Insur for the DDOS.

i heard they all went to ygg. or back to WoW, which is preferred

#23 Terryfic

Terryfic

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Thank you Heim for letting us know about this whole thing. I admit I was very upset on my postings because of all the nonsense that happened. I understand you guys are taking whatever necessary measures to restore the game as soon as possible and I hereby commend you guys for your appropriate response and actions.

#24 Insanita

Insanita

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1727 posts
  • LocationAway from you!

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

As much as i like treats, please don't give away anything until the problem appears to have been solved.

Agreed.

#25 Chronopath

Chronopath

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

This is really nice that Heim finally posted an official statement on what's going on to address the issues. At least his statement shows that Gravity is trying their best to fix the problem.

Its just unfortunate that the community has to suffer the past 2 days and not being able to enjoy the 150% Experience Event.

I hope the "treats" will be given after these latency/disconnect issues have been fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users