How to solve hyperinflation - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to solve hyperinflation

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 AustenHeller

AustenHeller

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

Create NPC's who sell a limited number of valuable items at roughly the market value. GM's control the prices and the number of items for sale. Presumably they only intervene in cases of crisis (like the one we have now).

Example:

Create an NPC who sells 30 Phreeoni cards at 800 mil.

Result: Less money in circulation, more valuable products. Prices will have to go down.

Explanation: Something like this is what every central bank and anyone who knows anything about how money works does.

Bonus: How to get rid of bots.

Create NPC's who sell Strawberries.

Explanation: Strawberries were the kind of item that made sense in 2004 when low level characters had a motivation to explore and hunt for different kinds of items. Things kind of change in 12 years.

#2 Eternityzero

Eternityzero

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

i dont see any inflation

#3 BookishBrenda

BookishBrenda

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

#4 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:50 AM

It devalues items in the long run and people would set up bots just to buy certain items.

The raffle events are the best way to take zeny out of circulation.

Edit: The rich people aren't going to spend their zeny unless it's something crazy worthwhile and the 2b cap limits this.

Edited by Myzery, 04 March 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#5 LegendaryTorgue

LegendaryTorgue

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1598 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

next solve world hunger, achieve world peace, and lose weight

worthy goals

#6 Sigma1

Sigma1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2435 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:TRO

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:09 AM

MVP card auction as zeny. :)
GM in my server did it long time ago.
Result : Now 1 billion zeny = 0.5 USD.
LOL

#7 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:38 AM

W8 for the para market update

#8 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:54 AM

MVP card auction as zeny. :)
GM in my server did it long time ago.
Result : Now 1 billion zeny = 0.5 USD.
LOL

people talking about solving hyperinflation and here you are, showing us how to make more inflation.

Give this man a cookie!

*Side note: a seasonal NPC selling non-tradable unique and good consumables might work. Stuff like weapon repair scrolls will garner huge support from me. :D

make sure that it's not discountable so people don't need to use merchants just for it too.

Edited by blackCROSSCY, 04 March 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#9 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

Botters still win

#10 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:35 AM

bitters gonna win with or without a solution anyway.

At least trying may remove some of their advantages as zeny becomes a bit more valuable, where players farming instances can get a bit more real payouts for their efforts.

Plus, it's all just a chance to get more fun stuff in my view ;)
making it non-tradable means these items won't ever be exploitable by bots. The rest is for economists to go figure

#11 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:42 AM

No, what i meant is, you can just set up a bot to automatically buy stuff there, faster than anyone else, removing the chance for real players to get the stuff.

I do agree with Myzery, raffles are very good at taking zeny out of the server. Make some better grand prizes at more zeny cost for more zeny wiping. And by no means include mvp cards in there

#12 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

oh, haha I don't mean it like that. I was meaning like a npc tool shop so there's no limited amounts, but rather only seasonal periods the tool shop appears. It also sells its unique items that doesn't spoil the market for other current items while not being tradable so it can't be exploited by bots or anything.

The weapon repair scroll is one example. Maybe a Mild Wind scroll would be cool too. (better boost than converters but seasonal).

#13 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

You really do want to Crush Strike everything dont you :v

#14 bloodyrascal

bloodyrascal

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2543 posts
  • Location.
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

If I were an economist, I wouldn't be playing Ragnarok.

#15 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:27 AM

You really do want to Crush Strike everything dont you :v

absolutely :P

But here's a proper comparison to back up my idea on why you should let me crush strike everything ~.~

The main purpose of this discussion is to facilitate a zeny removal to prevent hyperinflation- or so it's called.

The only current means we have, as additional measures beyond existing NPCs in game, is the raffler.

Don't get me wrong, the raffler isn't a bad idea, given that the items being raffled are worthwhile enough to get players to sink money in; which kinda gets the job done.

But here's why there should be other means beyond the raffler.

The first is that the raffler, being a raffle (duh), is luck based, and there can only be one winner for each raffle. So not everyone will benefit from sinking in money, making it potentially less appealing for players who lost money over it (probably a ratio of 1 winner to 10 losers or more). Why is there a need for a solution that benefits one at the expense of several others? Given the small amount of players we have in the game (estimated around 2K real and active anytime), each and every existing happy player counts towards the survival and prosperity of the game over the longer run.

Next, a raffler, again being luck based, favors those with more zeny with more tries to win the raffler. Now, I don't think we need to guess which group of players has the most zeny of all. Not talking about overall net worth in terms of items here, but raw zeny to sink in for raffles, and it's obvious who's really benefiting the most (hint: it starts with a B and ends with a T). This indirectly promotes the botters to bot even more as the incentives of zeny gained becomes greater. Plus, the rewards are entirely tradable, so while the zeny sink is real, botters are most likely to win those raffles and then probably sell it to other players. So who lost money in the end? Does it solve the incentive for more bots eventually? No, botting now becomes even more lucrative for existing botters, and new sources of zeny will keep flowing in.

So then what would make for a good alternative, which would solve the same zeny sink while not incentivizing more bots and not cost unhappiness to existing players?

That would be:
1. something everyone can use so nobody needs to lose in order for the zeny sink to occur.
2. does not last forever so that the solution's effectiveness will not diminish overtime as more of these items are acquired by individual players. This is why it should be mostly consumables.
3. Must not be tradable, so it would not incentive any bots to use it solely to gain more money from other players.
4. Must be appealing items so that people will want to sink zeny in, yet would not spoil existing market items as a consumable. For me as a RK in this flawed server, it would be the repair scroll(not even asking for FCP). Perhaps other classes would desire other stuff like those mild wind scrolls or even def boost pots(we have tons of items adding atk and matk but nth that gives hard def sum? maybe something that gives 20-30def for 5min would be cool too).

And that, my friends, entirely describes why my sexy little seasonal Tool shop NPC should be implemented alongside rafflers too. If not for the above fact, then maybe just to spice things up a little instead of being called dumb and lazy by players for never implementing anything new.

I just gave you a whole solution WP. Be a pal and let me crush strike my way through stuff xD

Edited by blackCROSSCY, 04 March 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#16 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Make an event like the raffle, let people buy Tao Gunka Scrolls that last for 5-10 minutes for 1 bil or 500m.

Then make the Scrolls so they can't double the effect if you're already wearing a tao armor.

That way there will be a lot bunch of Tao scrolls and zeny inflation could be dropping. What's the harm in letting people have MVP effect items for a little while when there already are a bunch of tao mvp cards out on the server?

#17 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

Ban Vending and the trade of Zeny >.>

Edited by ShinobiEX3, 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#18 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

Except that ppl aint gonna buy that

#19 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

XjHmJ54.png

^not feeling like yourself today?

Edited by Necrohealiac, 04 March 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#20 Lazaruce

Lazaruce

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationLabyrinth Inside Forsaken Eternity (L.I.F.E)
  • Server:Thor

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thor has a lot of zeny. Might be 2/3 of what Chaos have though majority of our zeny is hoarded mainly due to RMT purposes (1b=700.00 php/roughly $10). Either we run an audit and smite those RMT-ers or put up an event like raffler or a good NPC that sells good stuff that are account bound but good.

#21 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10857 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

That way there will be a lot bunch of Tao scrolls and zeny inflation could be dropping. What's the harm in letting people have MVP effect items for a little while when there already are a bunch of tao mvp cards out on the server?

Why asking the obvious question? The harm is when everyone is pro, there is no pro :P

Thats why we need to keep noobs noob and only pro can use MVPs ='o

#22 gorgoroth1

gorgoroth1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Server:Chaos04Nov13Thor27Apr15

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

iRO food chain...noob feed PRO feed raffle

#23 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

oh, haha I don't mean it like that. I was meaning like a npc tool shop so there's no limited amounts, but rather only seasonal periods the tool shop appears. It also sells its unique items that doesn't spoil the market for other current items while not being tradable so it can't be exploited by bots or anything.

The weapon repair scroll is one example. Maybe a Mild Wind scroll would be cool too. (better boost than converters but seasonal).

Away with this.

Just get yourself a zodiac set and use that like the rest of us... p.s. Mild Wind 5 Headgear?

#24 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

XjHmJ54.png

^not feeling like yourself today?

to people on one pc. it was a fight it was. >.>

#25 Ashuckel