Gateway Poll - Page 3 - Dragon Saga Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Gateway Poll

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#51 HelioCrack

HelioCrack

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:08 AM

Why do you force us to use this program? Does it give you comfort knowing that you cause trouble for us? Man just remove it.

#52 LadiThePKK

LadiThePKK

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

I don't really care either way to be honest. I do wish that some of the other features would be available though.

#53 Yurai

Yurai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2917 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

Personally, I kind of like features that Gateway has to offer, but I already have other programs to cover all those needs. Sure, it would be more convenient to have one app that does it all, but the problem with this is that they will never exceed the functions of their dedicated counterparts. Voice chats are nice, but programs such as ventrilo offer much more flexibility in areas such as channel management. In addition, other programs such as playclaw offer support for a ventrilo overlay which makes it much easier to manage without alt tabbing.

I think the one thing that would make Gateway appeal much more to me is to change the actual concept. Get rid of the actual program GUI and leave it with just a settings window. Make it something that runs in the background, consuming little memory. Change it so that Gateway is an actual in game overlay similar to xfire that can be opened up by pressing a dedicated, but configurable, shortcut in game. In addition, add overlay support for popular programs that can do what Gateway can't.

A few problems I could see with the above, however, is the possibility of disconnecting or the game client crashing. Something to remedy this would be a backup GUI that runs exclusively when the game closes without clicking exit game from the menu, and disappears upon relaunch of the game. As for the disconnection issue, it may be worth it to invest in a 3rd party reliable hosting so that any type of communications, whether it be chat or voice, won't be down in the case that the server is unstable. The most important reason for using other programs for chatting is that they are reliable and offer lots of functionality, while we always experience server problems with Gravity's current ISP.

Edited by Yurai, 03 December 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#54 Valsu

Valsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario Canada
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

If we have to actually keep it, why not put in some sort of program to optimize FPS for our games?

#55 WolfinGanger

WolfinGanger

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Now that I'm awake ill make a better reply

All in all Gateway is not a bad idea it was just handled the wrong way like Yurai said above me. Make it more like Xfire where its a program that runs along side the Partnered game of the client.

The MP3 feature is also a nice touch but i don't like running it and the game at the same time on my older computer cause it uses to much CPU usage plus i just listen to stuff off of slacker anyway. As for the friends list i find it pointless. A few things i would change about the friends list is to have it auto add anyone you add with in said game. Also allow us to chat with them through the WP client mostly cause the fiends list is pointless if you cant talk to people with it. Anyway with how the friends list should work have a section in the friends list for each game that is hosted through Warp portal. Each person that you add with in the game is automatically added to your Warp portal account under said game list if the person you wish to talk to is in a game and your not. It should contact them with in that game and vice versa if your logged in you can contact them through Warp portal within the game. Another thing i want to point out is to have the Warp portal account linked to the game that way when you start the game you don't have to log into the game as well as long as your logged into Warp portal your logged into all your games you currently have installed.

A mic and video recorded would also be a great add on since you guys host events that require recording the games. You should also add a section that would allow you to easily access any screen shots or video recordings you make.

Now about the Flash games on your site. They wouldn't be so bad if there was more of a selection and by playing them we would actually gain something in the games we played say we get a certain score in one of these games and collect points into our account once we collected enough points we could redeem the points for special prizes in the game we play.

About the program itself one thing you absolutely do not want is for it to slow down any of your games at all. so make sure to optimize it to run in the background behind said game.

I cant really think of anything else and i cant put my full opinion because the Warp portal software is not working now so i can not view its other features this is all from memory but as i far as i say its not a bad program if used right. At the moment its a useless piece of garbage that just gets in the way and not very user friendly you need pop ups for beginners like Click me to install the game. Anyway im done ranting for now nonce i can see the other features ill post more of my opinion.

Edited by WolfinGanger, 03 December 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#56 rickyleung90

rickyleung90

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

What I haven't seen is really good reasons.
Gateway isn't going away, but you have ears here that are listening to the feedback.

i give you a good reason. i dont want to have to double click the gateway client, and have to wait for the client to "scan" me, have to sometimes wait for the Gateway client to update, and have to login, and have to click the Game button, and have to click the Dragon Saga button.
I want to open up Dragon Saga client directly from an icon. it saves me time and effort.
the Gateway client is completely useless. I dont need it.

Edited by rickyleung90, 03 December 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#57 MichyLee

MichyLee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:Vvyvern (Past Dekard)

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hello everyone, I am posting on behalf of a guild member of mine who cannot access Dragon Saga anymore due to errors surrounding the Gateway application.

This is led me to call on all of you to input your evaluations as gamers on this application. Please keep your appraisals of the program well-mannered and proper so as to validate our argument. Please reply with answers to the following inquiries:

1.) [Multiple choice] Is Gateway truly seen as an enjoyable and useful application or merely a needless waste of time?

a.) Gateway is a redundant program with functions which are existent in much older and far more popular applications.
b.) gateway is a wonderful program and I love using it for all my Warp Portal dealings.

2.) Do you believe Gateway only creates more work for the Warp Portal staff and is a needless waste of time and resources both for the employees of Warp Portal and the customers of Warp Portal?

3.) If given a choice would you rather see an end to gateway in favour of older gaming methods? (Unbound patcher, use of website and forums.)

My personal answers to my own inquiries.

1.) I choose option a, this program is needless and is hardly cost effective.
2.) Yes, I believe this to be true. So much more could be gained/avoided if the patcher for the games was unbound.
3.) I would most definately put and end to Gateway because it serves absolutely no benefit for anyone.

I would like to add that I believe after a maint. a manual patching alternative should be made available should warp portal choose to keep Gateway in the works. Many people are left with no way to game.

Thanks.
Valsu Out.

I, also, choose option three. Gateway is just waste, when we can download what we WANT to play, and leave the rest. Also, the thing that tells you that you should stop playing is annoying. Who cares about built-in MP3 player ? We just need our games.

#58 MichyLee

MichyLee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

I thought most successful games were built around the basis of taking the community's thoughts, and using them.

Yes, that is completely true.

#59 GBPmule

GBPmule

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Yes, that is completely true.

Doesn't seem like it in this case, at least.

#60 MichyLee

MichyLee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Doesn't seem like it in this case, at least.

I know... It's really sad, that we don't really listen to each other..

#61 Paxon

Paxon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationBehind you ^^
  • Server:I forgot which one

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Useless. just a piece of weight

#62 Valsu

Valsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

Useless. just a piece of weight

I invite you to copy my sig exactly then, URL and all. Can anyone educate me on how to make a spoiler?

EDIT: Nevermind they took out my URL in my sig.

Edited by Valsu, 03 December 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#63 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

1.) [Multiple choice] Is Gateway truly seen as an enjoyable and useful application or merely a needless waste of time?

a.) Gateway is a redundant program with functions which are existent in much older and far more popular applications.
b.) gateway is a wonderful program and I love using it for all my Warp Portal dealings.

c.) Gateway is a really good program, in theory. I would love to play other games like Ragnarok, etc. if I had more time to, but for now Dragon Saga is "the game" for me.

2.) Do you believe Gateway only creates more work for the Warp Portal staff and is a needless waste of time and resources both for the employees of Warp Portal and the customers of Warp Portal?

Yes, I think it takes a lot of time for the Warp Portal staff to maintain and fix problems Gateway causes, but I also think it will serve a greater purpose in the near future than what everyone else thinks the program is actually capable of doing.

3.) If given a choice would you rather see an end to gateway in favour of older gaming methods? (Unbound patcher, use of website and forums.)

No, not really. Although Gateway has a number of issues, causing me to have to restart my computer in order to successfully use it at times, I think it's pretty unique. The first time me and my friend downloaded it to download and play Dragon Saga, we were raving about how awesome it looked. He said, "man, this Gateway thing looks epic!". I completely agree. I'm looking forward to when the Warp Portal staff are able to turn Gateway into the perfect game pre-launcher.

there isnt 1 person who appreciates it for what it is or what it could be. we want it gone. it has too many problems and too much time where it doesnt function. its trash. its a worthless application. nobody wants it.

I appreciate Gateway. But I'll admit there are a number of things that need improvement.

What I am asking for is other issues, what else causes you headaches. To me the responses are that you gave up, forget about it and you don't want to put your input outside of just removing the Gateway.

1. Make the "GAMES" tab/button much bigger than the rest of the other tabs/buttons. Yes, there will be some people who are going to be using Gateway for it's messenger, chat channels, and power up options, but the main feature of Gateway is to connect players to the game. Gateway should be more straightforward. It's pretty confusing and can be frustrating to new players who have not yet pressed every button on Gateway trying to figure out how to play their game.
2. After clicking "GAMES", there will be a list of games to choose from. Before you have downloaded the game you are trying to play, it says "DOWNLOAD" next to the name of the game. To me, it doesn't look like you're supposed to double click the button. If that button/line is supposed to be double clicked, please emphasize that it must be double clicked, especially since the rest of Gateway can be worked with a single click. It took me quite some time to realize that Gateway was not broken, that I just had to double click in order to download/start up Dragon Saga in the beginning.
3. As I have stated previously, sometimes Gateway will not work for me when I do not restart my computer. I put my laptop to sleep (by closing it) and then open it and start it back up to find "the connection to Gateway has ended". I close Gateway by right clicking it and pressing "End Application" at the bottom right tray of my screen to exit Gateway and attempt to restart it. I attempt to open up Gateway again but it says it's still running. I CTRL+ALT+DEL to end the process manually. Then I start Gateway again. Success. I press the "Games" tab/button. I wait. Nothing shows up. I wait longer. It's not working. Time to restart my computer.

When I restart my computer, Gateway lets me see the list of games. If I do not, it doesn't function. (But this time I found the tiny arrow and for some reason, toggling it made the list of games appear. Weird, right?)

4. Please consider making a mouse hovering description. I had no idea there was a tiny arrow to collapse the game advertisements/announcements, and that by clicking the big blue orb in the middle of the four button-tabs, a list of other sections would appear (including options). What is this "memory optimizations" thing by the way?

Gateway should be more user-friendly to players who are using it for the first time, and for those who have been using it for over a month now but have yet to figure out the various features it offers.

I still like Gateway though. I have this wild idea that it's going to be some sort of ultimate anti-hack program, which is always good news for legit players ^^

#64 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

1. A

2. Creates more work and also takes up memory that causes lagg for people. Also that fixed annoyance thing every few hours can murder inexperience Dragon Saga players.

3. Keep it optional as a backup way in case the patcher doesn't work if we could open it without Gateway.

#65 Valsu

Valsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

Withdrawn due to corporate threats.

Edited by Valsu, 03 December 2010 - 09:22 PM.

#66 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Gateway wants to be the next Steam. Too bad it fails :P

#67 CHiSEEN

CHiSEEN

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

I don't see why it should have been edited out when such a large number of people are complaining that they have a problem with it. I'm one of those people who cant even run Gateway because it crashes upon start. I have tried reinstalling, fail. I have two comps, BOTH fail to run gateway now. If anything the bypass method should be STICKIED instead of CENSORED.

#68 Valsu

Valsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Edited by Valsu, 03 December 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#69 GBPmule

GBPmule

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

My idea right now Valsu, just stop. Do what you do on your own. Don't bring others in, and don't risk your account. It's not worth it.

#70 Confusion

Confusion

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Locationtoo dizzy to remember

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hello everyone, I am posting on behalf of a guild member of mine who cannot access Dragon Saga anymore due to errors surrounding the Gateway application.

This is led me to call on all of you to input your evaluations as gamers on this application. Please keep your appraisals of the program well-mannered and proper so as to validate our argument. Please reply with answers to the following inquiries:

My personal answers to my own inquiries.

1.) I choose option a, this program is needless and is hardly cost effective.
2.) Yes, I believe this to be true. So much more could be gained/avoided if the patcher for the games was unbound.
3.) I would most definately put and end to Gateway because it serves absolutely no benefit for anyone.

I would like to add that I believe after a maint. a manual patching alternative should be made available should warp portal choose to keep Gateway in the works. Many people are left with no way to game.

Thanks.
Valsu Out.

edit this link in i made a poll about this like a week ago http://forums.warppo...690#entry220690

#71 rickyleung90

rickyleung90

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

i wonder what threat valsu is receiving. everything he says is spot on and i completely agree with him.

#72 GBPmule

GBPmule

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

i wonder what threat valsu is receiving. everything he says is spot on and i completely agree with him.

it doesn't matter what threat, all that matters is that he listens. warpportal can remove his account for ANY reason with warning.So, I'd listen. I wouldn't wanna lose my account over something as silly as this, would you?

#73 Kazu731

Kazu731

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • LocationSky Garden
  • Server:Sky Garden

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH GOD

HAHAHA

#74 WolfinGanger

WolfinGanger

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

it doesn't matter what threat, all that matters is that he listens. warpportal can remove his account for ANY reason with warning.So, I'd listen. I wouldn't wanna lose my account over something as silly as this, would you?

Posted Image

Edited by WolfinGanger, 03 December 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#75 Kazu731

Kazu731

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • LocationSky Garden
  • Server:Sky Garden

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Posted Image

I think it's more a matter of picking your battles. If you whine--ahem--over every little detail, you lose credibility for the things that matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users