Completely new player! Help, for the luva-gawd! - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Completely new player! Help, for the luva-gawd!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 agren

agren

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hello!

My name is Gabriel, and I've just decided to try this game out. I've searched the forums to see if anyone is handing out any newbie advice or guidelines, but it all seems to be directed towards people who have at least some idea of what they're doing. So before I just up n' decided to quit, I thought I'd reach out and ask a few questions.

First of all, I started in a city called Izlude, but none of the NPC characters that I speak to give me ANY clue as to what I'm actually supposed to be doing. Is there a main quest line I can follow?

On the forums I saw many people talk about the Eden Group, that has newbie quests. After a while of poking around I found my way there. There is a huge number of players gathered there, and I was overwhelmed, and didn't know which NPC to talk to, or if there might be people overlapping the NPCS... Anyway, I talked to all of the NPCS behing the counter and finally found one that asked if I wanted to join the Eden Group. Then I was directed to the quest boards on the right side. I picked up some quests.

Big problem: they tell me the place I'm supposed to go to complete the quests, but give me no indication of how to get there!!!!

I wandered for about an hour outside of the city, and eventually found a few of the monsters I'm supposed to hunt. I died a lot, because my equipment was just a knife, and a cotton shirt. Where can I get new and better equipment?

I asked someone what to do, and they said I should change my job. Went online, found a basic guide that said to go to an NPC in Izlude city. Thankfully, it said exactly where to go, and I am now a Swordsman, and I got a new weapon.

This all took me waaaay too long, I reckon. Am I really so terrible at finding these things on my own, or is this game just completely not newbie friendly?

What do I do next? Do I just kill monsters outside town untill I level enought to pick up more quests? How can I get more equipment? What is the best way for me to level up? How to get money?

Thanks to any who answer!

#2 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

This game was made before questlines became the standard for online RPGs. So yeah you're gonna be killing your way to the end. There are quests to do but there isn't really a set order to do them. The most effective way of leveling is to do bounty board quests and try to stack the killcounts with other quests if available. About Eden, it's not necessary but highly recommended that you join them, as you can get rather effective welfare gear from those NPCs which can last you til level 100. There is no drawback for joining them, factions in this game only exist for lore and all players are on the same factions. You can also get a pet(novice poring) in Izlude Academy building where you got class change in the 1st floor leftside armory, and it's actually one of the better pets of the game, as having it around doubles your potion recovery. The best way to use "manuals" or experience modifier items is to use them right before finishing/turning in quests so that you get the amplified rewards from them. I made semi-recent post about introduction to the game here that you might find useful.

tl;dr join eden and do bounty boards quests, found near tool shops

#3 Talmagdon

Talmagdon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Loki

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Not sure if you've got a handle on things yet, but in case you're still floundering, this should help a bit.

First off, there is a guide to the newbie academy in Izlude: https://forums.warpp...tutorial-guide/

In the course of completing those quests, you should get some decent starting gear. You'll also get a very nice stack of novice potions, which are spammable when you fight monsters. One big difference between Ragnarok and most modern MMOs is that you can spam restoration items since they are not on cooldown etc. I would also recommend that when you get to the top floor of the academy that you talk to all the job NPCs before changing .... the Thief NPCs even have some elaborate quests that give you experience and items so long as you are still a novice. Basically, most of Izlude was made a bit more beginner friendly than the game used to be.

If you look at your minimap, you will also see a few small yellow + signs ,,, these represent quests available for your level. Some of these may be obscure, but they are worth investigating when you are bored and don't know what to do.

There is a master list of guides here (https://forums.warpp...list-of-guides/). A few of them will be marked [Renewal] or [Classic]. You basically want to avoid the [Classic] guides for now as they may confuse you with older/outdated mechanics and information.

With regard to navigation, there are a lot of resources for Ragnarok including databases, wikis, calculators etc. Monster information can be checked here (http://db.irowiki.or...monster-search/). Search for the monster you want to kill and see what all maps it is available on. You can also use (Ctrl + ~) in game to open the world map. Once you find the map you are looking for, you can backtrack it to the nearest city. If you have problems, you can always to a google search or ask in-game. If you did the Tutorial, you would have been introduced to most basic systems including navigation, which would make things easier. If, on the other hand, you were confused about what to do and ended up skipping the new player tutorial, I'd recommend starting an alt and going through it just to make sure you understood everything.

Once you get your bearings, you can use one of these guides/sources for levelling:

1. City Bounty Boards: http://irowiki.org/w...ty_Board_Quests
  2. Eden Group quests: http://irowiki.org/w...Leveling_Quests
  3. Speed levelling guide: https://forums.warpp...-leveling-guide

In terms of gear, the tutorial area gives you your first set. Go into the academy and register for a basic set of novice gear. After that, you can get the Eden group equipment which should stand you in good stead through most of the game. You start getting it around level 12, and there are progressively more difficult quests that yield upgraded equipment. A full list can be found here: http://irowiki.org/w...uipments_Quests

There are also numerous sources both on the wiki and the forums that deal with classes in greater depth. Just make sure you are not on an iRO Classic page, however.

Hope that helps and bit and welcome to the game!

#4 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hello!

My name is Gabriel, and I've just decided to try this game out. I've searched the forums to see if anyone is handing out any newbie advice or guidelines, but it all seems to be directed towards people who have at least some idea of what they're doing. So before I just up n' decided to quit, I thought I'd reach out and ask a few questions.

First of all, I started in a city called Izlude, but none of the NPC characters that I speak to give me ANY clue as to what I'm actually supposed to be doing. Is there a main quest line I can follow?

On the forums I saw many people talk about the Eden Group, that has newbie quests. After a while of poking around I found my way there. There is a huge number of players gathered there, and I was overwhelmed, and didn't know which NPC to talk to, or if there might be people overlapping the NPCS... Anyway, I talked to all of the NPCS behing the counter and finally found one that asked if I wanted to join the Eden Group. Then I was directed to the quest boards on the right side. I picked up some quests.

Big problem: they tell me the place I'm supposed to go to complete the quests, but give me no indication of how to get there!!!!

I wandered for about an hour outside of the city, and eventually found a few of the monsters I'm supposed to hunt. I died a lot, because my equipment was just a knife, and a cotton shirt. Where can I get new and better equipment?

I asked someone what to do, and they said I should change my job. Went online, found a basic guide that said to go to an NPC in Izlude city. Thankfully, it said exactly where to go, and I am now a Swordsman, and I got a new weapon.

This all took me waaaay too long, I reckon. Am I really so terrible at finding these things on my own, or is this game just completely not newbie friendly?

What do I do next? Do I just kill monsters outside town untill I level enought to pick up more quests? How can I get more equipment? What is the best way for me to level up? How to get money?

Thanks to any who answer!

As soon as you step off the boat you should have talk tot he captain. The Moose with the question Mark on top of his head. HE would have direct you to his friend who is standing in front of the academy. The friend would have given some potions and advice. Next step would be registering with the Academy. The Academy, once you registrar would have give you some basic equips.

as far as where the mobs are, check the wiki.

#5 Schizzler

Schizzler

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Yeah this game is not easy to be new in unfortunately; that being said, its better than its been in the past, or so I've heard (I'm not a veteran).

#6 Schizzler

Schizzler

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

In general, Eden will be your base of operations for some time to come. For leveling, you just have to find monsters in your level range. Your map helps immensely; hit Tab on your keyboard to see where monsters can be found and what level they are. It might not be the best , but it gives you an idea.

#7 2791130726184901777

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:05 AM

This game is not newbie friendly at all. It is hard, and worst, expensive. The economy is based around Cash Shop item. You almost likely get nowhere at all in the game within reasonable amount of time without shelling out some real cash to buy KP and sell them. 1 USD is 100KP, which gives you around 12-15m, is still a peanut. I would say that 1000-2000KP and sell for 130-260m would be a good start for any newbie seriously considering this game.  It will covers some starter gear for class like Ranger with plenty of money for pots. 

1. Pots are too expensive and doesn't heal that much, unless you wear Cash Shop item like Witch Pumpkin Hat.
2. Eden gears are still horrible and you will end up buying a lot of pots with the zeny you don't have.

For example, you can defeat the toughest boss in the game, takes 6-7 average gear people to defeat it, and she drops a shield which you can sell for 15m, wtf?. A decent gear straight from your bank account sells like 200-300m a piece. Pay2Win at its finest. . 

Class to avoid as a newbie:
1 - Swordman (probaly one of the most expensive class you can play, Rune Knight is totally subpar with noob gears)
2 - Expanded classes like gunslinger (They usually need massive amount of SP / SP leeching gear to be useful due to crap SP pool)
3 - Merchant (Unless this is for vending and greeding, merchant classes are generally expensive. Geneticist is argubly the best MvP class however).

Good class to play as newbie:
1- Ranger. Cheap starter gears and everybody's favorite. You will be instantly invited to any party that says R>AOE (it means R> Ranger). Get by with very little at the beginning, but end game gears are overpriced junks. Every end game Rangers I know want to do the highest damage as possible and willing to pay billions for it, without considering any cost efficiency versus the benefits. 

2 - Archbishop. Probably the only class you can play reasonably as a free to play player. No fancy gears required at all. Just dedication and warm heart. You are always in demanded in the party, but people always forget you once you're in there. Until they die, of course, and it's suddenly they notice you there and it's your fault somehow.

#8 LiteAdi

LiteAdi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

This game is not newbie friendly at all. It is hard, and worst, expensive. The economy is based around Cash Shop item. You almost likely get nowhere at all in the game within reasonable amount of time without shelling out some real cash to buy KP and sell them. 1 USD is 100KP, which gives you around 12-15m, is still a peanut. I would say that 1000-2000KP and sell for 130-260m would be a good start for any newbie seriously considering this game.  It will covers some starter gear for class like Ranger with plenty of money for pots. 

1. Pots are too expensive and doesn't heal that much, unless you wear Cash Shop item like Witch Pumpkin Hat.
2. Eden gears are still horrible and you will end up buying a lot of pots with the zeny you don't have.

For example, you can defeat the toughest boss in the game, takes 6-7 average gear people to defeat it, and she drops a shield which you can sell for 15m, wtf?. A decent gear straight from your bank account sells like 200-300m a piece. Pay2Win at its finest. . 

1 - Swordman (probaly one of the most expensive class you can play, Rune Knight is totally subpar with noob gears)
2 - Expanded classes like gunslinger (They usually need massive amount of SP / SP leeching gear to be useful due to crap SP pool)
3 - Merchant (Unless this is for vending and greeding, merchant classes are generally expensive. Geneticist is argubly the best MvP class however).

1- Ranger. Cheap starter gears and everybody's favorite. You will be instantly invited to any party that says R>AOE (it means R> Ranger). Get by with very little at the beginning, but end game gears are overpriced junks. Every end game Rangers I know want to do the highest damage as possible and willing to pay billions for it, without considering any cost efficiency versus the benefits. 

2 - Archbishop. Probably the only class you can play reasonably as a free to play player. No fancy gears required at all. Just dedication and warm heart. You are always in demanded in the party, but people always forget you once you're in there. Until they die, of course, and it's suddenly they notice you there and it's your fault somehow.

ah i wish to quit this game but not sure now what is online game which better and hits now. can u give some recommend? also i try some latest new game like pso2 and didnt progress well 2 week 10 level

#9 2791130726184901777

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

MMO is a dying Genre. It is designed around wasting your time and lately it's been both wasting your time and your money lol. Not many people has 40-80 hours a week to run raids and farm guild supplies. I play RO mostly for  social aspect, but I honestly would like it to be much less grindy. 

Let me give you an example, if you look at the popular cash shop item, it's all revolving around reducing the grind.  BMX3 and HE Gum increase the exp rate and drop chance, so you don't have to grind 3 times as much to level up or twice as hard to find an item. They are making money by making the game as grindy as possible, wasting your time and money.

Without those artificial grind and horrible drop rate, the users would quickly find out how the shallow game is and quit soon after finishing the last raid. So they are making money by making you a lab rat in a skinner box keep pushing the same button over and over again and expect different results like a MvP card drop or something. 

There are plenty of triple A titles out there that are a lot more fun and less time consuming. If Ragnarok is considered a hit for you, then you need to have a higher standard. This game is a niche, and I play because of the people I enjoy chatting with, the 2D graphics, and its cute hat. It's like I am dressing a barbie. The game is pretty shallow though. 

#10 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

1. no one uses pots unless it is Slims. Unless you are in 3rd class, you use fresh fish, cheaper and better then most potions. Read the wiki, it has a list of HP restoring items.

2. Eden gears are NOT horrible. They are starter gears you can use till 3rd class. Reason why valk drops 15m shield is because the game is OLD. That same shield was worth 40-50m 4 yrs ago when i started. There is a thread listing quest new players can do to make some zeny without using cash shop items on the forum. It is slower but it is doable.

3. RK needs to be High lvl, you can do decent damage with DB with cheap gear. But you do need to understand the game mechanics.

Expanded class are suppose to be for Vet who wants a challenge, they were not design for new players. 

Another good class to play are thief class. Can steal stuff form mobs.

There are also guilds that will mentor new players. Go ask in the Guild Recruitment Forum.

Edited by Ryviux, 15 June 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#11 Schizzler

Schizzler

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

Eden Gears often consistantly out-perform some fairly expensive gears, and cost literally nothing... The hardest part of this game is making zenny though, due to ridiculous inflation. Flip side of that is, if you are good at making zenny this whole games' a piece o' cake! But the worst class to start out as? Monk, monk, monk... Merch is a cake-walk compared to Monk.

#12 2791130726184901777

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:29 AM

1. no one uses pots unless it is Slims. Unless you are in 3rd class, you use fresh fish, cheaper and better then most potions. Read the wiki, it has a list of HP restoring items.

2. Eden gears are NOT horrible. They are starter gears you can use till 3rd class. Reason why valk drops 15m shield is because the game is OLD. That same shield was worth 40-50m 4 yrs ago when i started. There is a thread listing quest new players can do to make some zeny without using cash shop items on the forum. It is slower but it is doable.

3. RK needs to be High lvl, you can do decent damage with DB with cheap gear. But you do need to understand the game mechanics.

Expanded class are suppose to be for Vet who wants a challenge, they were not design for new players. 

Another good class to play are thief class. Can steal stuff form mobs.

There are also guilds that will mentor new players. Go ask in the Guild Recruitment Forum.

1) By pots I mean HP/SP restoration items. Fresh Fish are still expensive at 250z w/o discount for a person who starts from 0z. SP is going to be a big problem without Cash Shop leeching gear. Strawberry is not cheap even with bots farming them 24/7.

2) Eden gears are decent, but they are not free. You need decent gears and some pots to finish those Eden quest. Cotton shirt and Novice Dagger won't cut it. Worst, Eden gears are totally trash comparing to Cash Shop gear. Who wears Eden Group Hat where you can shell out your credit card and instantly get a +9 Vanargand Helm or Witch Pumpkin Hat? You would be saving so much money on Strawberry and HP restoration item cost in the process all the way to level 175. It also cost around 1.5-3B to gear a decent character. I would love to see people consistently making that starting from 0z and full F2P in a month of casual playing.  It is more cost effective to actually buy and sell KP than to grind out those zeny doing boring task that feels like a job where you could be farming fun instances and making a lot more zeny after shelling out $20 or so to buy the starter gears. Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. 

3) There's not much mechanic to understand as a DB RK. DB RK do subpar damage on cheap gears comparing to cheap Rangers. You're also restricted to Fire and Water.  Ranger are far more cost efficient than DB RK on cheaper gears per damage output. You can also farm instances like hazy with cheap Ranger, but good luck on a cheap  starter F2P DB RK. DB RK is more a party character that heavily relies on string and wandy but there's no zeny for being a teamplayer.

Thief class are great if you plan to bot. It's a pretty viable zeny making strategy even if you factor in the risk of getting banned. GX needs pretty decent set of gear to be a good instance grinder.

The problem with RO is that the base line character is totally trash, and it relies too heavily on the gears to be functional. The SP pool and regeneration is a joke for today's MMORPG standards. You can offset by pumping consumables or having good gears, but it is damn hard to make a reasonable amount of zeny in a reasonable amount of time without at least shelling out some cash to start with. It really does take some zeny to make zeny. 

#13 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:54 AM

Sadly I will totally admit that this game is NOT newbie friendly.  That being said however what game out there IS really?  There is always a learning curve in any game.

A couple things I think they did really badly with the redesign of the starting is that they let people know to much about "Expanded" classes.  All of these classes are even worse for newbies then any of the 6 normal starting classes.  I mean come on who upon hearing of a Gunslinger in a game wouldn't want to try it out?  never mind that it's going to be a mostly dead end character.

Earning zenny early is a problem because 99% of new people don't realize how to farm some easy drops for basic starting cash.  Also people don't realize that characters on the same account share a storage, and therefore can make a nice LOW lvl merchant with Discount max'd to buy those FFish/Pots for them cheaper.

I would actually prefer periodic yearly server resets tbh.

PS read my Starting Mage - Sage/Wiz Guide.  I put lots of work into it and even recently updated a section on making some early zenny which should be applicable to you as well.

My top 3 starting classes (Other than a low lvl merchant just for Discount/Overcharge/Vending) are:

1. - MAGE - This is the focus of my guide and needs really no gear to 99 with.

2. - Archer - Archer>Hunter>Sniper>Ranger is also a pretty easy class to level and shouldn't need pots.

3. - Thief -  Just for their ability to Steal they can help get some of the early drops I outline in my Guide.

https://forums.warpp...gewizard-guide/

Edited by EvilLoynis, 20 June 2016 - 05:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users