Bring back Spotlights. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Bring back Spotlights.

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

No, really. There is literally one person wanting them gone, with very clear vested interests. And like countless people every maintenance asking for a new spotlight. There is no argument to be had here.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to debate whether spotlights are good or bad. They are most definitely good in any sane person's mind.

But why are CMs removing a feature which players have always wanted, without so much as giving a reason? You don't have enough manpower to cycle spotlights once a month?

If this is what the management is going to do with this game, then I'll be damned if I'm sticking around till the end.

#2 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

dunno if changing spotlight every month is taking too much work.

#3 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Were not removing spotlights. We are returning them to their original form. Which was to spotlight a quest area. Its not about upgrading a dungeon. It was about showing off a town or village in Ragnarok Online and encouraging players to do the quests there and meet Victoria Qwest. http://www.playragna...ail.aspx?id=261

#4 zilahmonsan

zilahmonsan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

I don't understand why the are having trouble setting up new spotlights. They can just create a big list of maps then just random.org the results. Or just print the old and new world maps then put throw darts at them.

#5 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Were not removing spotlights. We are returning them to their original form. Which was to spotlight a quest area. Its not about upgrading a dungeon. It was about showing off a town or village in Ragnarok Online and encouraging players to do the quests there and meet Victoria Qwest. http://www.playragna...ail.aspx?id=261

And there was a reason that was changed. No one ever bothered with the old system because quests are largely speaking irrelevant to the RO experience. So we decided to move away from that and actually have it affect gameplay, which saw a massive increase in player participation and interest in spotlights. What is the reasoning for reverting this, especially post 175 update where spotlights become all the more essential to diversify the already extremely limited leveling options?

Edited by WolfTri, 20 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#6 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Were not removing spotlights. We are returning them to their original form. Which was to spotlight a quest area. Its not about upgrading a dungeon. It was about showing off a town or village in Ragnarok Online and encouraging players to do the quests there and meet Victoria Qwest. http://www.playragna...ail.aspx?id=261

No camp, you're just gonna recycle those boring quests again, same rewards, and not even good stories,, so just go spotlight newer maps and dungeon

#7 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Ignore, fatfingered quote instead of edit

Edited by WolfTri, 20 July 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#8 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Spotlights w/ super fast leveling (NCT, Lighthalzen, GH, Juno, New World) ---> People are super happy
Spotlights w/ emphasis on specific areas (Rockridge, Doram, Ayothaya, Kunlun, list > above list) ---> People are super unhappy because they can't level fast.

Think about what you think spotlights are and re-evaluate their decision. It's meant to be what they were before.

And even creating a random assigned list won't be effective. Most players will put off their leveling and VIP until that date is reached so they can abuse the leveling in spotlighted areas with EXP events.

#9 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Spotlights w/ super fast leveling (NCT, Lighthalzen, GH, Juno, New World) ---> People are super happy
Spotlights w/ emphasis on specific areas (Rockridge, Doram, Ayothaya, Kunlun, list > above list) ---> People are super unhappy because they can't level fast.

Think about what you think spotlights are and re-evaluate their decision. It's meant to be what they were before.

And even creating a random assigned list won't be effective. Most players will put off their leveling and VIP until that date is reached so they can abuse the leveling in spotlighted areas with EXP events.

Your parties getting ~180m exp every 20min, despite using whatever questionable means which the GMs are too lazy to ban, is not abuse.

But people getting half that during spotlight at NCT = abuse.

K.

#10 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Your parties getting ~180m exp every 20min, despite using whatever questionable means which the GMs are too lazy to ban, is not abuse.

But people getting half that during spotlight at NCT = abuse.

K.

i'm sorry that my party levels efficiently? anyone else can do what I do, even without the needs of MVP. I can finish a run under 14 minutes if I care enough to spend the gwings.

people just make excuse and rely on GMs to fix their problems for them. You can keep doing that, go ahead. But I prefer trying to be efficient and effective when I play RO due to my limited time.

Also, you're welcome to join some of my runs for free. Warlocks get to join for free during Warlock Wednesdays.

#11 mashaa

mashaa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

So this week nothing spotlight? :(

#12 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

i'm sorry that my party levels efficiently? anyone else can do what I do, even without the needs of MVP. I can finish a run under 14 minutes if I care enough to spend the gwings.

people just make excuse and rely on GMs to fix their problems for them. You can keep doing that, go ahead. But I prefer trying to be efficient and effective when I play RO due to my limited time.

Also, you're welcome to join some of my runs for free. Warlocks get to join for free during Warlock Wednesdays.

It works for you because the current system suits you. Why try to take away means that other people find efficient/comfortable. Look beyond solely yourself, is my point. I do not want to stop your experience, I didn't say remove bio bounty boards. The comparison was to bring out the utter hypocrisy of using the word "abuse". 

E: You're looking at everyone else through solely your own restricted views. It's not about " they can do what I do", it's about "why can't they do what they prefer". Not everyone likes the same things. It's not all efficiency, it's a game, meant to enjoyed. Enjoyment is different for different people. You may enjoy bio4, but anyone who does not enjoy it, basically has no option but to suffer it anyway. Or quit. 

Edited by WolfTri, 20 July 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#13 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

So this week nothing spotlight? :(

Spotlight is Rockridge

#14 zilahmonsan

zilahmonsan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

So you're expecting everyone to to be at your level of passion or dedication? Some people play this game casually and others play solo. And we're suppose to be punished because we're not at your level?

Edited by zilahmonsan, 20 July 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#15 PoySanity

PoySanity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1211 posts
  • LocationEinbech

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

dunno if changing spotlight every month is taking too much work.

Apply at warpportal and change the spotlight. Then you'll know if this thing is taking too much work.

#16 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

It works for you because the current system suits you. Why try to take away means that other people find efficient/comfortable. Look beyond solely yourself, is my point. I do not want to stop your experience, I didn't say remove bio bounty boards. The comparison was to bring out the utter hypocrisy of using the word "abuse".

Hypocrisy? There's a difference between abusing EXP spotlight modifiers with EXP events with a party of 12 killers fly winging around and killing solo to gain 120+% EXP modifiers and AFKing pretending to be doing something and just getting maxed under 1 day vs; just doing the bounty boards as is.

The reason why a place like NCT is due to this sort of abuse. Players request EXP spotlights and EXP events so they do what's efficient for THEM to level.

Is that what spotlighting is to you? To take advantage of a flawed system? 
Personally, I liked to see spotlight for more of the original intent it had. Promoting places like Amatsu where the spawn and EXP is better. Even when LHZ was spotlighted, they kept the increased mobs. Even when NCT was spotlighted, they kept in the big bell spawns.

The spawns are still there to keep it leveling better than it was before, people just want the bigger EXP modifiers to reach MAX quicker and move onto their next character.

So you're expecting everyone to to be at your level of passion or dedication? Some people play this game casually and others play solo. And we're suppose to be punished because we're not at your level?

Not having a spotlight you want is considered a punishment to you? Please explain sir.

Edited by Demeris, 20 July 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#17 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

im k with spotlight returning to the intended use of it. Actually, that took way longer than i expected. 

At a point it was a bandaid fix to the post 150 leveling wich was aids at the time, but right now it is basically a glorified exp event for X monsters/area.

#18 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

He wants to be the only one to abuse the system. He can abuse it more without the spotlight! Nice!

Ill accept the exp mod now then whine later after the exp mod ends  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

Edited by CadburyChocolate, 20 July 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#19 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

im k with spotlight returning to the intended use of it. Actually, that took way longer than i expected. 

At a point it was a bandaid fix to the post 150 leveling wich was aids at the time, but right now it is basically a glorified exp event for X monsters/area.

giphy.gif

#20 FT15

FT15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKanto Region from Planet Korhal - Koprulu Sector

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

QQ everywhere....  :heh:

#21 zilahmonsan

zilahmonsan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Not having a spotlight you want is considered a punishment to you? Please explain sir.

I never whined about not getting a desired spotlight. Try scrolling up.You're doing great with your assumption sir. With the way you explained yourself, I consider my part of this discussion done.

#22 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Hypocrisy? There's a difference between abusing EXP spotlight modifiers with EXP events with a party of 12 killers fly winging around and killing solo to gain 120+% EXP modifiers and AFKing pretending to be doing something and just getting maxed under 1 day vs; just doing the bounty boards as is.

The reason why a place like NCT is due to this sort of abuse. Players request EXP spotlights and EXP events so they do what's efficient for THEM to level.

Is that what spotlighting is to you? To take advantage of a flawed system? 
Personally, I liked to see spotlight for more of the original intent it had. Promoting places like Amatsu where the spawn and EXP is better. Even when LHZ was spotlighted, they kept the increased mobs. Even when NCT was spotlighted, they kept in the big bell spawns.

The spawns are still there to keep it leveling better than it was before, people just want the bigger EXP modifiers to reach MAX quicker and move onto their next character.

Again, that method of leveling seems like abuse to you; but to those doing it, it is organized and efficient. In a similar vein as to your own leveling experience. It is not abuse simply because you do not like it. Similar to how your methods are not abuse simply because I do not like it. Both are intended to be parts of the game. 

Whatever spotlights are, it is much better to have them be relevant than put them back into the old form where no one gives a crap about them. 
RO is NOT a questing game. By design, the older system of spotlights attract no attention.

The new form was there as an alternative to traditional leveling methods, such as gramps and bio. And this saw it increase greatly in popularity with the playerbase, everyone loved them. Sure people fight on what they want spotlighted, that just indicates how much interest is there in that feature; as opposed to being something no one cares about.

#23 PoySanity

PoySanity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1211 posts
  • LocationEinbech

This

#24 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

giphy.gif

Quoting ash to make your arguements look like legit. HAHAHAHHA. Dude it's okay, you're not doing anything wrong. Just be more honest with yourself on why you want spotlight to be removed! Come'on!  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

#25 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

My point is, they're still a bandaid fix. Are there real alternatives now?

Edited by WolfTri, 20 July 2017 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users