European region access to WP services terminated (why?) - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

European region access to WP services terminated (why?)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
256 replies to this topic

#51 diikhlaskan

diikhlaskan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia, Payon City
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

how about vpn? also can't?

#52 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

I think with other gaming companies, they already have branch offices in Europe anyways, whereas GRAVITY already severed ties with their Europe office.

#53 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

I think with other gaming companies, they already have branch offices in Europe anyways, whereas GRAVITY already severed ties with their Europe office.

Some of their other games and especially Ragnarok 2 are Western Global servers, including Europe.

With actual language support.

#54 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

Gravity is just selling the license for euRO too often.

"Look European Server!"
"Wellp we'll close it"
"Y'know what, new euRO, same game, different company you pay to."
"Nah we'll close it"
"Okay once more! :D euRO but a different Company again"

figures why most Europeans i know play pServers or have quit RO altogether,

As for Nexon.

Nexon has migrated all of European Service to North America.
Nexon Europe does technically not exist anymore.

Edited by Tetosan, 24 April 2018 - 08:49 PM.

#55 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

I'm kind of expecting them to delete all European Accounts.

Means i expect it but kinda hope they proove me wrong.
At this point i want to see WarpPortal burn :D

I mean they can IP block a region and call it done. If people VPN over that's not on WP, why would they go overboard and do more than what they are demanded.

#56 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

I mean they can IP block a region and call it done. If people VPN over that's not on WP, why would they go overboard and do more than what they are demanded.

Because the law demands that they grant you full, unlimited access to your data at all times.
As far as i know, you having to use a VPN to access said data is NOT having full, unlimited access to it.

and knowing Germany and the European Union in general they'll be like "Well we can see the law being void if a user voluntarily provides the Data despite an IP-Block, but it would still require the Service to first delete all data."
Because they're stupid like that. In some parts of Germany, Twitch-Streamers need to apply as a TV-Channel if they're too big.

Edited by Tetosan, 24 April 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#57 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

The part that will scare them the most, aside from the bill, is what is considered "user data". Such a broad term.

#58 Aboed

Aboed

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationIn A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Server:Thor

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

Oh wow sad news, is it really not beneficial to be GDPR-compliant?

Dark days...

#59 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

Last I checked, the EU doesn't own the entire world, so if companies don't want to comply with their policies, they kind of don't have to?

#60 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Last I checked, the EU doesn't own the entire world, so if companies don't want to comply with their policies, they kind of don't have to?

It's like when you get a warning of legal action about downloading a movie you shouldn't. It's the fear.

#61 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

While you're right, the EU can force Companies to abide certain rules when dealing with citizens of their countries.
The same is true for any EU-Country dealing with American people. They need to abide certain rules of America to do so.

This Law is to protect the personal data and such of EU-Citizens, so the EU can and will force this law.

Honestly it's stupid legal stuff that also can be really annoying for End-users

Square Enix Europe does not allow Swiss-Players to purchase Game Time for certain games by PayPal only using PaySafeCard or Credit Card.
This is also due to a law from either Switzerland or whatever Country S-E EU is in disallowing PayPal Transactions for this from Switzerland.
Annoying but nothing the End-User or SquarEnix can do about it.... Well technically S-E can do something about it but as long as they can charge extra fees for PaySafeCard and Credit Card Transactions, Why not?

Edited by Tetosan, 24 April 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#62 MrLekkz

MrLekkz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

Will WP ban/delete EU accounts?

#63 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

Delete them. But if we are talking about WP as what have been said on the previous posts, they will just do a lazy solution. Block.

#64 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Delete them. But if we are talking about WP as what have been said on the previous posts, they will just do a lazy solution. Block.

If they know what is good for them (something they probably don't) they'll not just block but delete the accounts.

But hey. If they just block, i'm not too far off with iRO dying shortly after...

#65 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

Please advertise iRO in South East Asia. If success, you can easily get 10k population again lolololol

#66 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:48 PM

wth...

Why?

So i wont be able to play no more?  i played since open beta.. and now i cant?  ....uh... 

whats gonna happen with my account?

#67 YongkySH

YongkySH

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4118 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

Please advertise iRO in South East Asia. If success, you can easily get 10k population again lolololol

Which country? idRO player is blocked, and I assume MY, SG, TH, and PH is also blocked too

Edited by YongkySH, 24 April 2018 - 09:55 PM.

#68 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

wth...

Why?

So i wont be able to play no more?  i played since open beta.. and now i cant?  ....uh... 

whats gonna happen with my account?

Till Warp Portal actually makes a statement what happens to our accounts or what REALLY is the cause of it, it's probably most save to assume that the cause is the GDPR-Law being enforced at the exact date.
So they will probably be required to delete all european accounts. Since the GDPR-Law disallows storage of data without giving the End-User full access to it (and i would say blocking the IP is the opposite of full access)

i mean we still have roughly 30 days of hope that something happens and they revert this decision.

#69 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Which country? idRO player is blocked, and I assume MY, SG, TH, and PH is also blocked too

Nope Thailand is not blocked. When I was in Thailand for summer, I WoE'd here in iRO. The lags were not bad. I was able to record WoE live.

#70 SoulL1

SoulL1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

They should then be redirected to contact that Southeast Asian player base we have that are actually in those places that do play in iRO so these people can be taught how to bypass into iRO.

#71 8943130511040646390

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

And then how this EU ip thingie does not affect other game providers from the US? 

#72 Tetosan

Tetosan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

And then how this EU ip thingie does not affect other game providers from the US? 

Other Game Providers probably already adjusted to these new laws when it initially passed 2016 and have nothing to worry about.

#73 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

This is interesting. http://www.alistdail...ffects-in-gdpr/

#74 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

Nope Thailand is not blocked. When I was in Thailand for summer, I WoE'd here in iRO. The lags were not bad. I was able to record WoE live.

If, you, already have an account you won't get blocked. Registering through WP is what's being blocked. I dunno about Thailand but that's how it works in PH.

#75 Sigma1

Sigma1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2435 posts
  • Server:TRO

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

I feel sad for EU players.
I wonder if this is WP's fault since they can't adjust to the laws in time while the laws have been announced since 2016.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users