78 replies to this topic

#51 WMDs

WMDs

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yup.

Waiting for my account(s) to be reactivated .. gonna give renewal a go.
Are Kevin, JJang, Vetter, Ghostshadow, Matt and the old crew still around ?

#52 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:04 AM

I saw vetter not too long ago, but I barely log on to valk server anymore. Or iRO at all for that matter.

#53 Krispin

Krispin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

I really don't see the reason I'm being forced to change my passwords that nobody else knows for my accounts that have never been compromised precisely because I don't do the dumb kind of crap that would let such a situation happen.

WoW has over ten million players.
I can't even imagine them forcing everyone to change their passwords, they'd be backed up for a year just helping people recover their phished accounts.

#54 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Apparently iRo passwords indeed been compromised in the past 3 months according to a post on iWiki which is stated by GM Oda. Now the question is, are the GMs going to improve the security aspect (hardware/software/fix exploits/etc) of the servers? imo, accounts security is the most important thing to take care of above everything else. Periodic password change is not an absolute solution. It will just slow down the threats but the risk will still be there if no further action been taken beyond password change.

#55 WMDs

WMDs

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Heim cant you just send out a password(s) reset(s) to my email(s) !

>_< CODs are like 70mil now gotta sell a bunch and buy blank cards before exp event is over.

#56 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

quick question, can we just do a pwd reset through warp portal after this reset if we dont change before it auto randomises?

Edited by Hrothmund, 07 February 2011 - 04:47 AM.

#57 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

There wasn't a compromise 3 months ago, we noticed alot of account accesses 3 months ago, and through investigation we surmised what happened based on the PW change history of the accounts.

But yes if the game account is bound to the warpportal account you can easily change the PW by logging into WP and editing the password. It is much easier if you know the old password as it is just a old -> new and done. But if you dont' know old PW the PW reset will send an email to your warpportal email address which will let you update the PW.

#58 Hanyuu

Hanyuu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

Thanks jackass to whoever GM did it, I changed my password about an hour before woe and I receive an email an hour "after" woe that my password has been changed against my will.

I implore you almighty GMs, please stop being dumb. It's my final wish since I'm going to stop playing this game in a month. Thanks!

#59 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

Am I the only person that's not overly bothered by this kind of stuff. Sure, it's annoying, but I'm not annoyed enough to complain about it. Woop de fricken doo, I have to come up with another password; 2 min later I'm done. If being asked to update your password every couple months is enough to get you so pissed off that you have to start complaint threads, you must get angry very easily. Change it and move on with your life, there are much more important things to get mad about. At least hopefully by now everyone has their accounts linked to an active email address.

#60 Hanyuu

Hanyuu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

You must not know too much about competence.

Sub note: stop trying to sound like a preacher. Yes it's clearly not hard work at all but competence would prevent unnecessary work on both ends.

#61 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

You must not know too much about competence.

Sub note: stop trying to sound like a preacher. Yes it's clearly not hard work at all but competence would prevent unnecessary work on both ends.

The GM/CM's are still humans. Therefore imperfect beings.

#62 Hanyuu

Hanyuu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

True, but I can name many different companies (with human employees) who don't make so many silly mistakes over a short period of time. Said companies aren't perfect either but I don't bash them.

Anyways if you all want to prolong this then go for it. I merely stated an opinion, as harsh as it sounds.

#63 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

True, but I can name many different companies (with human employees) who don't make so many silly mistakes over a short period of time. Said companies aren't perfect either but I don't bash them.

Anyways if you all want to prolong this then go for it. I merely stated an opinion, as harsh as it sounds.

To each their own.

#64 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

It takes practically zero effort to complain about something on the internet which means that people complain about things that have practically zero negative impact.

I hadnt considered that all the DDoS attacks might have been to cover brute force attacks or some such. It is a bit worrisome that account name can be gained ingame, so BF hackers can target high end guild leaders etc.

It might be worthwhile to increase the min specifications for passwords?

Edited by Hrothmund, 09 February 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#65 Haibane

Haibane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I didn't bother changing my password before the forced reset because I assumed my new password would be sent to my e-mail address. Went to 'forgot your game password?', typed in my game account info but it won't allow me to type in my game account ID because it has non-alphanumeric characters in it (great coding, dip-_-s). Tried it with just the alphanumeric characters but got my access blocked because I tried it too many times (thinking perhaps that I'd mistyped the anti-bot picture words). WarpPortal support won't accept my username / password so I can't raise a ticket. This really isn't the kind of grief I need after a day's work.

#66 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I didn't bother changing my password before the forced reset because I assumed my new password would be sent to my e-mail address. Went to 'forgot your game password?', typed in my game account info but it won't allow me to type in my game account ID because it has non-alphanumeric characters in it (great coding, dip-_-s). Tried it with just the alphanumeric characters but got my access blocked because I tried it too many times (thinking perhaps that I'd mistyped the anti-bot picture words). WarpPortal support won't accept my username / password so I can't raise a ticket. This really isn't the kind of grief I need after a day's work.

So instead of requesting help you are raging at the system.

You can too make a ticket, there is absolutely no restrictions on making a ticket, you don't even need to have an account yet to make a ticket. So please help us help you.

Make a ticket
Stating your current WP account, and the game account you are having issues with. We will help you recover, and look at what it is that is limiting the inputting.

#67 Haibane

Haibane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Of course, Heim - I'm all about raging at the system. If there's a system to be raged at, I'm there - 24/7, raging at it. No tea-breaks or *anything*. Or is it machines I'm supposed to be raging against? Ah ....crud! I've meant to have been raging against machines all this time U__U. Sorry for bein snarky! *toddles off to find a machine to rage against*

Edited by Haibane, 10 February 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#68 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

I cant seen to understand why every ones QQ and so bothered about password reset... :Emo_18:

It only took me 3 minute for me to change all my 15 account...lol

#69 Haibane

Haibane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Evidently because for some people it is more of a problem, you silly Valk dweller! (I hope! XD). Just because something isn't a problem for one person, doesn't mean it isn't a problem :-)

#70 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

I cant seen to understand why every ones QQ and so bothered about password reset... :Emo_14:

It only took me 3 minute for me to change all my 15 account...lol

Changing them is fast, remembering them is a-_-.

If you say "Oh, just add a number on the end". Well, then you may as well not have changed them.

#71 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Changing them is fast, remembering them is a-_-.

If you say "Oh, just add a number on the end". Well, then you may as well not have changed them.

D i change my pass that way +1 digit for each password change...D so far it my 5th time since october so +5 more digit in the end of it so far.. :Emo_14:

#72 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

D i change my pass that way +1 digit for each password change...D so far it my 5th time since october so +5 more digit in the end of it so far.. :Emo_14:

Ofcourse. This is the most common thing people do when they are forced to change their password.

Now, say your password was "Ragnarok123". And that password was compromised by a database leak.
What do you think the Brute forcers are going to do. Start at aaaaaaaa...? No, they will start at Ragnarok123a... Ragnarok 123b... etc.. making your password infinitely less secure.

This, is why forcing people to change their password frequently is a bad idea. Because people are stupid.

#73 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

hahahah lol Because people are stupid. :Emo_14:

Anyway here some idea for ur future password...

I really like your way method of making passwords, I'm going to remember this. I try to keep a variation of letters, numbers, symbols, and lower/uppercase when making passwords. I've been coding them up in horrible l33t, like if the word was "Computer Case" it would be "<0mpU73r c4Se".
--------
As far as the OP, I really hope you get things situated and taken care of.

#74 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Commonly these days, even "1337 speak" words are included in Dictionary attacks.

This is how I create my passwords, and they are secure and easy to remember;

1) Think of a Keyword, ie, "Ragnarok" and a number, say "5".
2) Download Hashcalc
3) Perform a String Hash on the word Ragnarok - Converts it to "40d57ba713628f3f1ef5ef204b6d76d2"
4) Password max length for Ragnarok is 25 - "40d57ba713628f3f1ef5ef204"
5) Now with the number, replace every x'th value with symbols. - "40d5%ba71/628f|f1ef;ef20<"
6) Capitalize ever x-1'th letter. - "40d5%ba71/628F|f1eF;ef20<"

Do your own personalized variation of this, and as long as you use the same way every time, if you forget, you have an easy way to retrieve it as long as you remember the keyword and number.

Remember, the most common method of breaking your password is using common words from a predefined list, ie; "cat", "dog", "muffins"...etc..
Having a maximum length password of random numbers/letters/symbols will save you from any dictionary attack - as well as brute force attacks.

Now all you have to worry about is keyloggers and trojans that target password manager programs =)

#75 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

anyway just as reminder to you all ..You can use%?/@#$%%^&&as our password...

It was a pain in the ass for me to when i need to reset my password last October.. i had to use this button to reset my password As warpportal account only accept alpha + numeric.. :Emo_14: example

Posted Image

Edited by Dukeares, 18 February 2011 - 05:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users