Is RO effectively Nerfing ALL spellcasters? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Is RO effectively Nerfing ALL spellcasters?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I am a little unsure of the direction Ragnarok Online is actually taking. Over the past year, RO has implemented many things that have changed RO's gameplay dramatically. However, these changes seem to have nerfed Spell casters tremendously. Many items grant high resistance towards elements, (doesn't help they just released kafra blossom card which is 10% elemental resistance in an accesory), hindered cast time, and reduced the matk of characters. While I know ninjas are not a "buff" character, I used to be able to deal fairly high damage with him. I went from 1000 matk to barely even 300. My damage decreased dramatically, and even against monsters that have little mdef and 50 levels lower, I do crappy damage. Throughout the forums, I hear people laugh at the fact of a warlock being a damage dealer. They are considered useless in many posts in regards to mvp and WoE. People say they aren't even targetted much in WoE because their damage output is so low, combined with the slow cast times. Another aspect of magic that I'm worried about is that, quite frankly, everyone on RO that I've spoekn to tells me the same thing. My Stalker used to reach 1200 matk, and actually outperformed wizards and even some lower level high wizards. My matk is 350 now, with fairly decent matk gear. +8 Bazerald, +9 CoD of caster, byorgue card, and his magic damage is low.

The point is, will there be a place for spellcasters in our RO? Will Gravity balance RO out, as they intended to do with Renewal?

I for one, love playing spell casters, but, it appears that spell casters are being eliminated from the characters that can actually compete with others.

I'd like to hear your guy's opinions on this matter.

#2 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

I am a little unsure of the direction Ragnarok Online is actually taking. Over the past year, RO has implemented many things that have changed RO's gameplay dramatically. However, these changes seem to have nerfed Spell casters tremendously. Many items grant high resistance towards elements, (doesn't help they just released kafra blossom card which is 10% elemental resistance in an accesory), hindered cast time, and reduced the matk of characters. While I know ninjas are not a "buff" character, I used to be able to deal fairly high damage with him. I went from 1000 matk to barely even 300. My damage decreased dramatically, and even against monsters that have little mdef and 50 levels lower, I do crappy damage. Throughout the forums, I hear people laugh at the fact of a warlock being a damage dealer. They are considered useless in many posts in regards to mvp and WoE. People say they aren't even targetted much in WoE because their damage output is so low, combined with the slow cast times. Another aspect of magic that I'm worried about is that, quite frankly, everyone on RO that I've spoekn to tells me the same thing. My Stalker used to reach 1200 matk, and actually outperformed wizards and even some lower level high wizards. My matk is 350 now, with fairly decent matk gear. +8 Bazerald, +9 CoD of caster, byorgue card, and his magic damage is low.

The point is, will there be a place for spellcasters in our RO? Will Gravity balance RO out, as they intended to do with Renewal?

I for one, love playing spell casters, but, it appears that spell casters are being eliminated from the characters that can actually compete with others.

I'd like to hear your guy's opinions on this matter.

lol... do you play spellcaster class at all?

Sorcerers have low matk output and because of that, low damage output thanks to their skill's formula... Warlocks are not overpowered at all... Warlocks can easily get 11XX and 12XX matk w/o amp and deal quite amount of damage if you know what spell to use...

Cast time can be worked out if you can combine effectively your INT/DEX and Cast time reduction (my cast time is 15% from original cast time... 10% from fixed and 5% from variable with sacrement)... indeed cast time is quite a trouble to deal with but once you get used to it, it is not a problem...

It mostly depends on the Warlock I believe... not everyone is the same dealing damage but I can assure you matk and cast time can be worked on and you can get around it if you know what are you doing =)

#3 heyxsean

heyxsean

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

They were bad to begin with. So you won't notice a difference lalala

#4 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

They were bad to begin with. So you won't notice a difference lalala

lol not true... warlocks are cool to play with xD

#5 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

ninjas are hurt hard in the MATK dept with renewal, throw kunai and killing stroke are the only good damage for them now. if the magic skills were reworked a bit to allow for a better conversion of MATK to damage dealt they might be usable again but as it is now, 50 int works out to like 36 damage per hit on lvl 80 or so monsters with bolt skills and the stuff that uses catylists isnt even close to being able to kill stuff half your level even with max int. i got 2 wiz, a sage and a supernovice i dont even play anymore thanks to renewal MATK.

#6 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

I think they're doing it pretty effectively, yea.

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

I wish we could all have a decent discussion about the role of warlocks in RO without Haseo's input. It's like a bunch of electricians trying to wire a house, and there's one guy who keeps trying to stick his :o in all the sockets.

#8 TSTitle52

TSTitle52

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

+1 Sera!

#9 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

lol, well I really don't see any problems with the element reduction at all... either way, you can cry a river over it, but there's always a way to get around it... just stop QQing and start thinking...

#10 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

damn how many player are named haseo any way? its like the john of ragnarok.

#11 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Well, even if the impact is minimal, it is a nerf to spell casting classes.

Look at the place spell casting classes occupy in the game currently.

Is a nerf wanting, however small the impact of it may be?

I mean, designing it to proc on magic damage is not exactly a nerf to melee characters.

Edited by Sera, 12 May 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#12 Ularis

Ularis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUnder the shade of a Cherry Blossom
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

STR bonus removed

Flee...

M.ATTK...

Cast time...

Are they planning to nerf some more?
Lets see what they hvnt ruined.
P.Dodge?

Seriously which class will be nxt in line. -.-

#13 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well, I'm just saying, usually nerfing is done for balance reasons when one class has some sort of unfair advantage over others. Warlock isn't by any means an awful class, but at the same time, I don't really see the purpose of reducing the damage output further. Maybe to force more people to play with the supportive skills more? But that's kind of a convoluted explanation for something that was probably "We need to do something about monster magic damage" and they had absolutely no consideration of the fact that players deal magic damage too.

Edited by Sera, 12 May 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#14 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Well not everyone thinks with their wallet.

Sure you can throw 2 ebayed megs on a linker with +14 everything, and hit 6k crits at 193 aspd. But just because you have expensive cash shop gears doesn't mean you're "playing smarter"

Edited by Scuba, 12 May 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#15 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well not everyone thinks with their wallet.

Sure i can throw 2 ebayed megs on a linker with +9 everything, and hit 6k crits at 193 aspd. But just because I have expensive cash shop gears doesn't mean im "playing smarter"

Haseo leveled his warlock mobbing with kaahi and kafra shop blues.

#16 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

Haseo leveled his warlock mobbing with kaahi and kafra shop blues.

Yup... back in the day when I really felt like leveling xD... and after that, they came out with light blue boxes... less heavy than the ones from woe boxes =(

But it is true that these cards now will be quite good for MvP

#17 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Brute forcing a character to be at par with everyone else isn't creatively working around a problem. Its saying that a character with its optimal gearset is near or at the same level any average class.

Put those 2 bris and a bryn on a RK and watch 10 times as many people die.

Edited by Scuba, 12 May 2011 - 10:05 PM.

#18 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

What Bris? isn't better Megs on RK for Storm Blast?

#19 Jing

Jing

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEast Prontera

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

the answer is yes, another nerf. They can just tell locks to quit if that's what their plan really is.

#20 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

This is bullsh!t, now there's less reason to have a glorious Ring.

#21 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Glorious Ring still give you -3% variable cast time reduction and a lil bit of HP... plus %matk/atk as well...

I guess this card is more intended for combo sets like Orlean's server/glove or Diabolus Ring/Robe.

#22 Alorien

Alorien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Sad to see another item that buries warlocks' damage dealing potential deeper underground, but lets face it. Their role stopped being DPS long ago.
I don't think this card makes them any worse than they already are for dealing damage in PvP.
Right now, a Warlock's role is more full support than anything else. A well placed stasis can disable an enemy guild almost entirely (some skills, such as dragon breath, can still be cast.) And think of white imprison, and how annoying.. eh.. useful! that is.

Edited by Alorien, 12 May 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#23 Ianflow

Ianflow

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

STR bonus removed

Flee...

M.ATTK...

Cast time...

Are they planning to nerf some more?
Lets see what they hvnt ruined.
P.Dodge?

Seriously which class will be nxt in line. -.-

I fear alchemist....
A part of me hopes it'll be the swordman classes type next.... They always seem to me like they'd have the biggest advantage....

#24 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

Well, even if the impact is minimal, it is a nerf to spell casting classes.

Look at the place spell casting classes occupy in the game currently.

Is a nerf wanting, however small the impact of it may be?

I mean, designing it to proc on magic damage is not exactly a nerf to melee characters.

Well once procced the additional elemental damage works against elemental melee attacks too. But really they should return to the old system where you can stack melee resistance or magic resistance but not both.

#25 Fibrizzo

Fibrizzo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1068 posts
  • LocationA Coruña/Galicia/Spain
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

I wish we could all have a decent discussion about the role of warlocks in RO without Haseo's input. It's like a bunch of electricians trying to wire a house, and there's one guy who keeps trying to stick his :o in all the sockets.

I said the same months ago in the Warlock's discussion thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users