Change RK sprite - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 10 votes

Change RK sprite

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 weaseI

weaseI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

You can just imagine hearing about office life every day when you talk to someone at Gravity...

"People keep asking about the new RK sprite."
"People are begging for the new RK sprite."
"People are demanding the new RK sprite."
"People are getting really impatient for the new RK sprite."
"People won't shut up about the goddamn new RK sprite."
"People are complaining that they don't like the new RK sprite."

^yep
It's working as intended. GM expect us to QQ for the new RK so ppl stop QQ about upcoming nerf.

#27 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

How is the new female sprite less fanservicey? Gain a flap to cover the pantie... but lose most of the cloth covering the bust in favor of a metal bra? In the end it's about the same amount. xD If they'd just put the skirt from the original concept art on the old RK sprite, it would've been more of a gain then the current change.

My RK is not amused with the change!

Posted Image

(I need to make a better drawing of her already, but busy with the RWC contest. :handshake:)

#28 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

If people wanted to convince us that the old sprite was awesome then they should've shown us that drawing sooner. It's pretty awesome. But I bet a drawing of the new spite would be even awesomer!

#29 Ceer

Ceer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSouth Kafra, Payon

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

Exactly!

The thing is, Rune knights sprite wasn't "bad" at all, a lot of people hated the gemstones on them but personally I think that's because they went over the top with them! If they had them just on there arms, or just the shoulders it would of been fine.
The female ones ontop of that, just lacked there short-skirt they've had since knighthood, this new long mage-like flap is an insult to the female knights tradition of showing off there sexy thighs!

Infact the new female RK look more akin to someone slapping paladin armor on over there top to cover up, with there old LK cape thrown on for the sake of it and a torn off castle flag to cover there panties to finish off. Male one isn't much different, that just feels like they got there old LK armor and bashed it up a bit.

Honestly RK was not the sprites that needed editing at all. The only "bad" sprite in the game was the one for male GX (although the alternate palette fixed A LOT of what was wrong with it.

You're either a boor who bullies everyone into agreeing with you, or you're blind to people who disagree. The new RK looks so much better than the old one. Allow me to list the reasons why:

1) The new one is wearing actual armor over most of his body, not a trench coat.
2) The old armor's shoulders were overdone with overcomplicated armor and the gemstone
3) The new one looks closer to the LK armor which I liked...particularly unmounted

That said, when I asked Gravity to fix this ugly RK sprite problem, I figured some people would whine about how they had to switch...I figured it would be ok allowing people to pick from the 2 sprite forms. However, with your whining, I'm glad you have to live with the new RK sprite, at least for a little while.

What the heck are you smoking saying that the only BAD sprite in the game for 3rd class is GX. Almost all of them have the same problems

1) The sprites have a busy and overdone look in general.
2) The colors are broken up too much and distort the general outline of the body
3) Really gaudy parts to the clothing and no way to de-emphasize it.
4) Player lacks the ability to switch back to the look of a previous class.

Let me explain the classes I'm talking about...all of these look like crap:
Warlock M/F
Wanderer
GX M/F
Sura M
Mechanic (non in its Mecha) M/F
Old RK M/F

I myself refused to 3rd job my LK until they fixed this terrible sprite problem not only did they do that for male RK, they made female look pretty badass (read, not fanservicey) to boot.

#30 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

they made female look pretty badass (read, not fanservicey) to boot.

Posted Image

#31 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

Well... At least she's not wearing the trenchcoat/bikini combo anymore /swt

#32 Snewt

Snewt

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Well... At least she's not wearing the trenchcoat/bikini combo anymore /swt

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE SEES IT THAT WAY TOO.

Good lord.

#33 Psychogenik

Psychogenik

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

The sprites need bigger tits.

#34 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

I think the problem aren't the new sprites. The problem is that we can't choose.
Next to that, everyone has a different taste - that's good and normal.

The old sprite positives:
Looked more magical for me. Rune Knights are a special elite group within the Knights that differ themselfs from the other Knights - and they also showed that with their armor. With the new one, this isn't the case anymore, it's basically a normal Knight again. Also, Rune Knights are some kind of Scholars. They studied the magic of ancient runes. They learned to adapt that power. They trained dragons this way and their fighting changed to a more magical style (storywise). Basically they don't NEED a big armor anymore, because they get their magical protection from the runes.
The "trenchcoat" gave them a more renegade look, a stranger, a maverick. For the little elite group of the Rune Knights, this is totally fine and fitting. At last: The gemstones. They're supposed to be runes. Most probably Runes that fullfill a protective use. Imagine them as a part of an energetic field that protects the wearer from damage. It's an ARMOR.

The new sprite positives:
The new one though brings back the feeling of the Knight and Lord Knight armors. For many this is important and as you can see, many just don't like the aprupt change. While for me it's a bit of "the same" in a negativly way, for many it's exact this on a positive note. This armors are well done for a battlefield. They're protective and help you to guard others who can't defend themselfs in close battle. It's majestetic and stands for it's higher class. They even shine with proud while the garment shows how much bad battles the wearer went through. It brings them closer to the Knights (! which isn't very close to the Rune Knights AT ALL) and may look more used and normal to everyone else.

About the fanservice:
Guys, it's a game. It's fine.
You heal wounds with white liquid that you drink faster than you can throw the empty bottle away. Seriously, who cares of how much of the body is covered? Look at Sura's and be happy about your trenchcoat! XD

#35 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

The gemstones, at the size and resolution they were in the game, looked like glowing patches. I stand by my comment that the old outfits looked very sci-fi - imho, rather out of place for game falling under the genre of hardcore fantasy. But in any case, since when is a "rune" a "gemstone"? A gemstone is a translucent rock with visual appeal. A rune is a character/letter/similar. If anything, a character bearing runes would be, if not proudly wearing MORE armor bearing those runes, then less armor and some tattoos of runes, or something (like the back of a male sura /swt). A trenchcoat would just hide all that.

If protection came from runes rather than armor, I feel like it'd be cooler to buff the runes and increase armor restrictions. I think this would actually be pretty appropriate... but also a really jarring change in general play style for a character whose origins are so physical-armor-dependent.

*shrug* All I know, really, is that I have yet to enjoy playing my RK the way I enjoy playing just about any of my other characters. /swt

<edit>Fixed a typo~

Edited by Anchors, 16 August 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#36 Pyrasia

Pyrasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thru out the whole thread there's no image of previous vs current RK armor at all ?
... You guys suck at trying to convince the public...

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Pyrasia, 16 August 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#37 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Erm, wow. Old RK concept art is better than the old RK sprites, new RK sprites are better than the new RK concept art...

Okay, I totally thought the new female RK was wearing actual body armor. So instead of looking like a mildly spiky female Rogue, she now looks like a mildly spikier female Mage...

#38 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

You girls just want to show off your bellybuttons instead of the greasy ones you have irl. :handshake:

#39 Snewt

Snewt

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Idk, I'm glad I don't have to walk around in my underwear anymore and that I actually look like a progression from the LK sprite (which was a progression from the Knight sprite), rather than some hodgepodge thing they threw together 10 minutes before deadline.

Posted Image

#40 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:34 AM

I personally think Transcendent sprites and 3rd Class sprites should switch. Transcending is about going above and beyond whereas going into another class is simply another step forward on the same level. Then it makes more sense why the current 3rd Classes look dramatically different from their previous forms.

The new RK looks so much better than the old one. Allow me to list the reasons why:

1) The new one is wearing actual armor over most of his body, not a trench coat.
2) The old armor's shoulders were overdone with overcomplicated armor and the gemstone
3) The new one looks closer to the LK armor which I liked...particularly unmounted

Regardless of personal opinions, the Rune Knight design is based on Ragnarok's Rune Knight Chaos, who actually had much more clothing and less armor than the concept art:

Posted Image

I assume the RO design would be what Chaos would end up in if the manhwa ever finished. That said, the replacement sprite should not be called a Rune Knight anymore as it does not look like a rogue knight that doesn't serve a king. Maybe God Knight would be more suitable considering it looks like an over-glorified Royal Guard.

On another note, it makes no sense to model the Guillotine Cross after Loki because Loki is an ASSASSIN CROSS. That would be going backward.

Just be glad they didn't base RO's Warlock off of Ragnarok's original Warlock:

Posted Image

#41 JeremiahLoh

JeremiahLoh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Yggdrassil

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:47 AM

Wow... I just noticed that just now,I thought the old Female one had a Miniskirt and not a Battle Panty...

i don't know... maybe its just the fact that the new ones doesn't have Giant Shiny Stones on them that makes them less appealing. And probably the Red Color Scheme of it in general.

Bah who cares the update has come and well most of the players will just have to deal with it. I still hope they won't change the Disco Warlocks... :D

#42 weaseI

weaseI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

@zero
this is supposed to be the result if based from Chaos,
Posted Image

Prolly they are keeping that for 4th class :D

#43 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

On another note, it makes no sense to model the Guillotine Cross after Loki because Loki is an ASSASSIN CROSS. That would be going backward.

I'm sorry but no.
Loki was a Guillotine Cross, that was even stated in the Manwha. He even weared the GX Symbol, the Guillotine Cross the Class is named after :D
Or more precise: Loki is an Assassin Cross, but also one of the seven best Assassins - only these seven are allowed to wear the Guillotine Cross.
You could also call him an transcendet 3rd Job XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users