Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Alright, gravity HQ homophobic eh? (yea yea, its that the country itself is, and all that, I know I know lmao)

(On a sidenote, I wonder if the response would differ much if Heim asked them for more skin colours? :P )

So anyways, same-sex marriage will not be implemented unless we are jRO, which we are not.

Actually I dont give a damn about marriage be it real-life or ingame, as Id say it was a good idea till like a century ago with a superstitious cherry on top, not now when people actually live long enough to realise that being with the same person long enough usually makes them unbearable. :waddle:

Regardless. People who get married ingame, obtain extra skills by equipping an accessory and the ability to use Ka-Skills on each other if you happen to be a Soul Linker. People who don't do that ritual with a person of the opposite gender, cannot use the skills or need a third Linker with the Soul Linker Link.

How about a different system that enables the same, but without the religious ritual or opposite sex requirement?

A "best friend" system, through which one could make someone else their best friend (and obtain BFF badges or whatever the equivalent of the wedding rings would be) via some quest involving a psychic monkey that feels you were friends even before being born or whatever better fantastic crap you can come up with xD.

If you're married, your best friend is your partner so you cannot have someone else as your best friend obviously.

It could then similarly require materials and cash for the accessories. Maybe a Gold each along with 1,25m zeny (or a fake BFF paper badge from the cash shop for non VIP)?

Huh :handshake:

#2 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

It's still the same thing in the end and any changes have to get approved by HQ. This topic has beaten to death so many times.
You can just gender change if it really matters that much to you.

#3 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I think that's the problem - the fact that one of two same-gender accounts must gender change for the marriage system to be usable. Why would the topic be "beaten to death" if it didn't "matter enough" to someone?

Also, that it would be the same thing was the point - the ability to enjoy the same marriage benefits without that one restriction.

#4 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

ummmmmmmmmm they implemented a stupid card that nerfed more the magical users and never released the kafra card that boost the magical atack.... do you believe that they will pay attention to this???? THEY DONT EVEN FIXED THE BASIC THINGS!!! BATTLE GROUNDS

#5 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Well its kinda like opening a McDonalds and offering your own special food without corporate approval Posted Image

#6 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Well its kinda like opening a McDonalds and offering your own special food without corporate approval Posted Image

I don't understand your comparison.

#7 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

I don't understand your comparison.

A franchise

#8 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

What does it have to do with what requirements are needed for certain features of the games?

Wouldn't Soul Exhale be too controversial to implement by that logic?

I mean, if they would have decided that marriage would enable you to be able to buy items that increase your movement speed, when they were implementing it, would Speed Potions then be wrong because gay marriage is banned in korea? No.

They decide what features are exclusive and if they are exclusive to marriage.

All that's exclusive to marriage is that theres a ritual bonding two people of the opposite gender. It's more like choosing McDrive or going inside the McDonalds.

That's a comparison that makes sense.

Edited by Charon, 16 August 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#9 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

@Charon

OMG really? You don't know how a franchise works?

Where's my face-ground pony pic?

#10 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

@Charon

This one?

Posted Image

EDIT: Nevermind didn't see "pony".

Edited by Inubashiri, 16 August 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#11 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

@Charon

I said I don't understand the comparison.
Shall I rephrase,
I don't see the similarity required for the example to make sense and work as a comparison.

And yea, if someone doesn't know how a franchise works, you show them a face-ground pony pic, bravo.

#12 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Found it!!

...and your welcome.

Posted Image

Found some educational material, too.
Wikipedia

The first line under "Obligations" explains it clearly I think.

Edited by TheSquishy, 16 August 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#13 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Franchising

#14 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, imagine that, a word with a very specific definition holding little meaning to someone who may or may not have had any dealings or other experience with the topic of economics and business.

That aside, though, altering the parameters of a skill that has been implemented for some time (Soul Exhale) is very different from implementing an entirely new (if copied/pasted) system such as the one proposed.

#15 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

I said the comparison doesn't make sense, aka please elaborate, not that I don't understand franchising.

@Anchors:
I was trying to show why Inus comparison doesn't work,
by pointing out that the features enabled via marriage do not require to be exclusive to it.

#16 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

Probably because same sex marriage is a distasteful taboo and carries a heavy negative stigma when viewed by Koreans.

Edited by Inubashiri, 16 August 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#17 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hence why I'm proposing a system that doesn't have anything to do with relationships.

Edited by Charon, 16 August 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#18 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Well, one of the things that we've been exploring during the last year or so are just how many things we can offer and change that are different from what are present on kRO, jRO and others. The Overlook Dungeon and many of the expansions we've done with the turn ins and Eden Group quests are something that we are doing independently from the development team in Korea. System updates in general take longer to get into the game, and there is a priority in getting the bug fixes that Mefis has mentioned before new updates but it is something that we have suggested to them before.

Divorced (as it were) from the concept of marriage, such a system would be more likely to "pass under the radar" of any morally sensitive programmers at HQ. Perhaps something akin to a mentor/SuperBestFriends. Would you want this to have the same effects as the existing Marriage system, or with different benefits? I think this is the more important part of the conversation, I think the franchise stuff is a little more esoteric.

#19 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

The idea of a whole new system named the "Best Friends" system or similar as proposed is where the opposition of the franchise comes in. Its implementation is not allowed until Corporate HQ gives the okay.

Now, if you just mean submitting the idea of a Best Friends system to Corporate HQ to obtain permission to implement this idea, then, yes, the concept of a franchise becomes irrelevant. However, as Inu writes, they'll be opposed to the idea; even if the idea submission contains no references to the marriage system whatsoever, the obvious question is - why does iRO even need such a system? I'm pretty sure the homophobic ignorami who will invariably reject the proposal will do so either based on redundancy or when they realize that it's a bypass on the same-sex condition of the current marriage system.

That said, though, why was jRO able to remove the arbitrary condition of gender difference and we were not?

<edit>I totally wish typing weren't so ridiculously slow on these forums with my computer /swt

With regards to Oda's post:

Same benefits would be really nice. HP/SP restoration and warping with any associated cooldowns and appropriate corresponding requirements. The only real conceptual omission would have to be the adoption system, but would it be possible to incorporate a third "best friend"? I dunno how well the idea of only being able to have two best friends would go over with players in general, though *shrug*

<edit2>I saw the idea of "mentor" in Oda's post on a second look. You could separate the religion-independent parallels into two pieces that way - teacher/student (who could have a baby sprite and associated restrictions) and best friend/best friend, perhaps?

Edited by Anchors, 16 August 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#20 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

I think it should have different yet similar skills. The ability for Soul Linkers to help their buds, though, is more or less the main priority with it.

#21 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Well, one of the things that we've been exploring during the last year or so are just how many things we can offer and change that are different from what are present on kRO, jRO and others. The Overlook Dungeon and many of the expansions we've done with the turn ins and Eden Group quests are something that we are doing independently from the development team in Korea. System updates in general take longer to get into the game, and there is a priority in getting the bug fixes that Mefis has mentioned before new updates but it is something that we have suggested to them before.

Divorced (as it were) from the concept of marriage, such a system would be more likely to "pass under the radar" of any morally sensitive programmers at HQ. Perhaps something akin to a mentor/SuperBestFriends. Would you want this to have the same effects as the existing Marriage system, or with different benefits? I think this is the more important part of the conversation, I think the franchise stuff is a little more esoteric.

I'm sure anyone would love more stuff like this.

The mentor/student is a great idea!
Some stuff that comes to mind after reading that:
There could be a quest for high leveled characters, which would enable them to pick a student. The mentor and student would then get some skills. For example the mentor could cast a skill similar to Sacrifice, except it would also make the monsters ignore his student so that the student could safely watch the mentors techniques in dangerous places.
Of course there would have to be drawbacks where necessary and be careful not to come up with someting abusable, but
Theres plenty of possibilities here. Anyone got cool ideas?

#22 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

ummmmmmmmmm they implemented a stupid card that nerfed more the magical users and never released the kafra card that boost the magical atack.... do you believe that they will pay attention to this???? THEY DONT EVEN FIXED THE BASIC THINGS!!! BATTLE GROUNDS

honestly I dotn know why ODA hasnt banned you if she has that ability.

I got banned back in the day for just asking on the bbs (long before forum) if they could get rid of bots. and here you are spamming every post with your crap.

Ok now back on topic, I think this is a great idea. I mean really, why would anyone be able to say anything about it? Loose the marraige system completly and allow you to have a best friend (either same sex or not) hell make it a kafra thing if you have to to break friendship.

#23 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

honestly I dotn know why ODA hasnt banned you if she has that ability.

I got banned back in the day for just asking on the bbs (long before forum) if they could get rid of bots. and here you are spamming every post with your crap.

Ok now back on topic, I think this is a great idea. I mean really, why would anyone be able to say anything about it? Loose the marraige system completly and allow you to have a best friend (either same sex or not) hell make it a kafra thing if you have to to break friendship.

its oda female? O,O /slur

#24 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

Allowing Ka-Magic of Soul Linkers.
Inspiration - Share the SP so that both are up to 50% SP (the caster needs more than 50% SP to perform the skill), with a cooldown.
Shared Wounds - Share the HP so that both are up to 50-70% HP (the caster needs more than 50-70% HP to perform the skill), with a cooldown.
Providing Help - Allows the caster to teleport him/herself to his/her best friend. (reverse warp if you will)

Becoming an Mentor:
Allows to get a student with approval of both parts.
Student has to be the origin class on one of the Best Friends and has to be First Job (means: If an Arc Bishop and a Ranger have a best friendship, they only can take an Acolyte or an Archer as Student)
Student can warp his/her mentors to him/herself.
Student can inspire his/her mentors while learning from them: Mentors get some atk/matk plus (instead of the no-exp loss skill of a baby)
Student Chars are smaller and consider as "Student" instead of "Baby", but have the same restricts.

Possibilities:
Edit: You can only have a student (of your class-tree) if you're transcendet or 3rd Job, a ka having experience.
Student can leave the teachings after becoming 2nd Job and become a normal Char again. Skills are lost at this point and the Best Friends can look for a new student.
Best Friends can also be married. As well as with the Best Friend (letting them connect Mariage AND Friendship) as with others. Additional: If you're married, you can also become best friends with either your married partner or with someone of the same sex. Vice versa: if you want to marry while having a best friendship, you either have to marry your best friend or have to be in a same sex friendship!

Discuss \o/
^^

Edited by Rutana, 16 August 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#25 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the homophobic ignorami who will invariably reject the proposal will do so either based on redundancy or when they realize that it's a bypass on the same-sex condition of the current marriage system.

As it is Gravity's game, they have more right to deny any content they wish for whatever reason they wish, even if it is for poor reasons. That said, a simple thing such as the title of the system really does change the tone of it.

Allowing Ka-Magic of Soul Linkers.
Inspiration - Share the SP so that both are up to 50% SP (the caster needs more than 50% SP to perform the skill), with a cooldown.
Shared Wounds - Share the HP so that both are up to 50-70% HP (the caster needs more than 50-70% HP to perform the skill), with a cooldown.
Providing Help - Allows the caster to teleport him/herself to his/her best friend. (reverse warp if you will)

Becoming an Mentor:
Allows to get a student with approval of both parts.
Student has to be the origin class on one of the Best Friends and has to be First Job (means: If an Arc Bishop and a Ranger have a best friendship, they only can take an Acolyte or an Archer as Student)
Student can warp his/her mentors to him/herself.
Student can inspire his/her mentors while learning from them: Mentors get some atk/matk plus (instead of the no-exp loss skill of a baby)
Student Chars are smaller and consider as "Student" instead of "Baby", but have the same restricts.

Possibilities:
Edit: You can only have a student (of your class-tree) if you're transcendet or 3rd Job, a ka having experience.
Student can leave the teachings after becoming 2nd Job and become a normal Char again. Skills are lost at this point and the Best Friends can look for a new student.
Best Friends can also be married. As well as with the Best Friend (letting them connect Mariage AND Friendship) as with others. Additional: If you're married, you can also become best friends with either your married partner or with someone of the same sex. Vice versa: if you want to marry while having a best friendship, you either have to marry your best friend or have to be in a same sex friendship!

Discuss \o/
^^

For simplicities sake, I think the Friendship system and Marriage system should be separate. It should be a choice with different skills, but both allowing the Ka-Skills to work.

Edited by Scott, 16 August 2011 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users