Best Friends - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Best Friends

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Tokio

Tokio

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

I don't now how much leeway we get from Korea, but could Ka-skills be changed to work on anyone? Or anyone in party? Then you wouldn't have to marry one. Or have some 'soul linker buddy badge' or some item that if you carry with you, soul linkers can use Ka skills on you.

Though, I do think it would be nice to have some type of skill/item/relationship that allowed summoning, hp/sp giving, and what have you. Summoning would be especially helpful when partying. If person A needs to run back to pront to buy/sell stuff, then person B can call them back. Or, help, I'm getting mobbed, comeherecomeherecomeherecomehere!

#27 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

I wish people would give up on this already >.> Getting married in game is not that special. There's other things this enthusiasm could be pushed into getting fixed. There will never be same sex marriage in RO. Let it go..

Go protest where it matters, not to a private company.

If anything they can sell summoning tokens like Mabinogi has. But really do we need that? We have so many methods of quick transportation. It hardly matters.

Edited by Maka, 16 August 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#28 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

As it is Gravity's game, they have more right to deny any content they wish for whatever reason they wish, even if it is for poor reasons. That said, a simple thing such as the title of the system really does change the tone of it.

Point taken - as long as the higher-ups aren't paying too much attention. :handshake:

@Tokio:
The SL SL allows for casting Ka skills on other players, but, of course, a SL cannot SL him-/herself...

@Maka:
It's partly because in-game marriage is meaningless that a player can say, why can't it just be accessible to everyone? But regardless of whether you think an issue is important to anyone (even if it's not for the reasons you seem to think it is), I'm pretty sure it's not up to you to decide whether an issue players find worth discussion is actually worth discussion. On top of that, yes, there are many problems with RO, but most people aren't able to forcefully redirect their own enthusiasm, particularly when many of those issues may not even be at-all relevant to some players (e.g. WoE balance to a player who doesn't participate in WoE).

#29 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Point taken - as long as the higher-ups aren't paying too much attention. :handshake:

@Tokio:
The SL SL allows for casting Ka skills on other players, but, of course, a SL cannot SL him-/herself...

@Maka:
It's partly because in-game marriage is meaningless that a player can say, why can't it just be accessible to everyone? But regardless of whether you think an issue is important to anyone (even if it's not for the reasons you seem to think it is), I'm pretty sure it's not up to you to decide whether an issue players find worth discussion is actually worth discussion. On top of that, yes, there are many problems with RO, but most people aren't able to forcefully redirect their own enthusiasm, particularly when many of those issues may not even be at-all relevant to some players (e.g. WoE balance to a player who doesn't participate in WoE).

It's a Korean social problem that you cannot change. Korean company owns the game. Korean company says what Gravity Interactive can do with it. They say absolutely not and will continue to do so. Thus it's pointless to keep bringing the issue up. Your efforts are better spent changing the social views in our own country, where change is actually possible.

Edited by Maka, 16 August 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#30 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

It's also true that, unless people ask for it, they just will never even think of changing it. I personally don't really care either way - as long as I am somehow, someday able to Ka-skill my characters (my current bypass-in-progress is just to make two SLs, one to SL the other /swt ), I'm fine with whatever. And so seems the OP, if you read that post. I'm not even sure why the topic of allowing actual same-sex marriages in-game even came up, as we were just looking for an company-approvable bypass. But regardless of where someone's efforts are "better spent," I'm pretty sure people are going to spend them wherever they want to. And, because many of us live under a regime not dictated by theological arbitration (theoretically :handshake: ), we're free to do that.

#31 Zinja

Zinja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2348 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

Perhaps something akin to a mentor/SuperBestFriends. Would you want this to have the same effects as the existing Marriage system, or with different benefits? I think this is the more important part of the conversation

Yes please just make it so we get kaahi from soul linkers. You can call it any damm thing you want.

Soul linkers are going to SUCK really bad after the huge slap on the face nerf patch in the name of kro balancing patch.

having to make 2 soul linkers just to get kaahi or having to spend over 2k points (WTF is up with the sex change why is it so :handshake: expensive and why does it not include a free :waddle: name change )

#32 tkkazemahou

tkkazemahou

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

I've never really understood why more US-based companies don't follow Japan's example and basically add into whatever contract they sign the ability to tell their Korean Overlords to suck it when it comes to making changes they want to games they distribute. I've seen it happen time and again, and every single Korean MMO I've played has a fair amount of community rebuke to quite a few of the the silly and arbitrary rules Korea tosses our way. It's sad, and I'd imagine a lot more avoidable with forethought.

#33 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

I think that-_- individuals have a right to feel normal and be treated equally, but this is just a game and the majority of games don't even have a wedding system.

Like Oda said, it would be better to have a master - pupil system with the "I love you" text from the skills removed.

#34 Susan

Susan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Server:ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

A "best friend" system, through which one could make someone else their best friend (and obtain BFF badges or whatever the equivalent of the wedding rings would be) via some quest involving a psychic monkey that feels you were friends even before being born or whatever better fantastic crap you can come up with xD.

If you're married, your best friend is your partner so you cannot have someone else as your best friend obviously.

It could then similarly require materials and cash for the accessories. Maybe a Gold each along with 1,25m zeny (or a fake BFF paper badge from the cash shop for non VIP)?

Huh :D

i suggested that last year and totally got ignored.
oh well, i guess it was my bad for posting my suggestion in the suggestion forums.
http://forums.warppo...__1#entry100392

Edited by Susan, 17 August 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#35 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

i suggested that last year and totally got ignored.
oh well, i guess it was my bad for posting my suggestion in the suggestion forums.
http://forums.warppo...__1#entry100392

hahah yea, Ive tried posting stuff there, but its not like anyone gives a damn for that part of the forum :D

#36 Tirasu

Tirasu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos- ohwait

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Only reason people even want to use "marriage" is for linker-slave skills, very few people do it otherwise these days.
Why not just make a new account and have it the opposite gender and marry them like everyone else does.

Pointless topic is pointless. Nobody uses marriage skills

Edited by Tirasu, 17 August 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#37 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

Make a new linker ~15 minutes.

-or-

Waste days of revamping an already operational system...

#38 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

I find the idea of marriage distasteful, and I also prefer to play male characters. Therefore, I would prefer a 'best friend's' option, just so that I can feel more comfortable about this. Creating a female soul linker and pretending she's a transvestite was bad enough.

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 18 August 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#39 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

Perhaps the terminology might be partners (equally applicable to adventurers as gay marriage coincidentally) with the ability for that fellowship to take on an under-aged apprentice. Seems like a legit system to me. I doubt kRO would accept it, for the reasons stated previously.

Simply being best friends and omitting adoption would likely garner negative feedback too, as there would be contention over the implication that a gay couple isn't fit to raise a child. Obviously.

#40 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

I would tend to think that just about any system would garner some negative feedback. /swt

Using a system called "best friends" however would be significantly less likely to inspire people to equate the system with a gay marriage compromise - particularly since the (apparent) vast majority of players looking for such a system just want the benefits and skills. The issue of any kind of "literal" in-game adoption would never (reasonably) come up.

As for the marriage skills and their usage, although I never see the HP restoration(? recovery or exchange? Not sure) skill in use, over the past month or so, I've seen a few married couples (all transcended) using a lot of the SP restoration skill in orc dungeon. In my own case, I'd be looking specifically at the personal warping skills.

#41 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

Update the Kafra shop "all in one ring" to make you globally "married" to any member of your party.

Yah thats pretty strong, but its expensive and only lasts 7 days.

Edited by Scuba, 18 August 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#42 Tirasu

Tirasu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos- ohwait

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I find the idea of marriage distasteful, and I also prefer to play male characters. Therefore, I would prefer a 'best friend's' option, just so that I can feel more comfortable about this. Creating a female soul linker and pretending she's a transvestite was bad enough.

Then make two linkers and link your other linker to give buffs to your character. It's the round-about way of doing it but plenty of people do.

#43 Kimmy

Kimmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationIn the kitchen.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Holy crap. I don't see why someone should have to make a new account, pay the VIP to make a new character to be a link slave to their previously made linker-- just so they can use ka-skills. Why not have a system where you can essentially attain the same benefits of the marriage thing? It doesn't have to be something that at all actually relates to gay marriage, just a way to have similar benefits.

#44 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Got another idea for the mentor-system.

The student can always share with the mentors, regardless of levels.
For each mentor higher then himself (either levelbased or classbased (meaning 2nd over 1st, trans over 2nd and 3rd over trans)), he gains additional 10/20/25 % exp for monster kills. This stacks if both mentors are in party, meaning he gets 20/40/50 % more each monster kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users