133 replies to this topic

#76 Justinotaku

Justinotaku

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

Quite a few good posts in here now. Glad to see I was not the onnly one that really had no trouble and thinking the test is fine. The only thing I could see changed would perhaps be perhaps making easier to get the items you need to drop easier. Possibly putting a longer delay on the first spawn. Though I like the sudden oh crud moment that you have to pull yourself out of quickly. It is similar to how WoE can be sometimes. Though last time I woed was way back before renewal haha.

I wish the AB test was a bit harder actually. Around half of them that I partied basically stood around doing AoE skills and that was pretty much it.

I'll be glad to see if the OP and others having trouble get past this test.

#77 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

But the way a lot of people are getting past it (or even, really, just bypassing it) is by "brute force" methods... Just trying over and over til things work out, or by brute-force-potion spam. So, really, it seems to filter out not just 1) people who have no understanding of how to use their magic (which would actually make sense), but also 2) people who aren't stubborn (or insane - how does that saying go? Trying something over and over expecting different results...) enough to just keep trying and 3) people who can't afford either appropriate gear (would be better for merchant types), a boatload of pots (alchemists), or at least a few kafra items. Oh, and 4) people whose only defensive spell is ice wall, since apparently they really did disable it in that room. Not really an appropriate set of filters, I think...

Moreover, that begs the question - why do the other job3 tests seem to have fewer filters in comparison?

There's still no decent rationalization for the WL test to be the way it is. Though I had no problem completing it (even the magic stone search only took me about 5 minutes for the naga drop, 40 minutes for the golem drop), I still think it was inappropriate... at the very least, in comparison to the other job3 tests I've done (sorc (where you travel and spend elemental stones), AB (where your main concern is disconnection on one of the final steps /swt ), RK (only difficult if you're too lazy to write stuff down or open up a guide), and genetic (very cute, but no challenge whatsoever)).

#78 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

What the hell.. this :D was easy. I did it with eden gear when it was being tested on Ygg (needed a phen though). On main servers it was a joke with gear most people have access to.

#79 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

i dont think the test is that hard :/

#80 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Just did the test today with 30 whites. I just stormgusted right away and chain lightninged. Move into a corner before the second spawn and kill off the mobs 2 by 2. Or tank them all outright and kill with Crimson rock.

#81 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

I guess the problem is the lack of experience on being HW... specially on new players... not like old players that used to level up on Nameless 3, Bio, etc... we are used to get mobbed and pot.

#82 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

actually wizard test is harder even though you can fail it 100 times and pass by default.

#83 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

actually wizard test is harder even though you can fail it 100 times and pass by default.

lol

#84 Kaillera

Kaillera

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Ice Walls to keep Earth Monsters at bay while u tank Water monsters... Use either Frost Nova or Stone Curse against them and then double imp firebolt or CR, since CR is multi-target it will hit all of them if Ice Wall was set up correctly...

Or just Ice Wall and CL Water Monsters... SW works if they are in close range...

Hmm... well... that's how I did it... there are different ways to do it, you just gotta get used to it...

PS: Found this from irowiki forums... the test wasn't that bad but this guy failed his first one cuz he killed that stone thing with that mercenary lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_XBaTBHgM

Perhaps you're not reading: Ice Wall is Disabled. Not everyone will have Frost Nova, or Saftey Wall. Spending on a Neuralizer contradict the purpose of trying to pass with whatever build you want that does not include those.

#85 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Sorry you had trouble doing the quest. But if you arent willing to get the skills you need to use in order to succeed you have yourself to blame. SG1 has a higher freeze rate than SG10, and a faster cast time. If you have to and cant tank for more than 2 seconds use SG1 as a freezer, reposition yourself and hit everything with either an amped chain lightning or an amped crimson rock. Put down quagmires before the last things die so the new spawns are slower.

If waterball is a serious issue, use a swordfish carded armor. Make sure you have energy coat up before you start the fight. Bring anywhere from 50-100 white potions and a couple yggseeds for emergencies. Phen is not a must, but you do need something to stop cast interruption. An aqua orleans gown is perfect.

Don't be afraid and prepare with your warlock consumable spell tablets. You need to use warlock skills one day anyways. When I did the test crimson rock pretty much 1 hit KO'd everything (except the aquas, which chain lightning 1 hit KO'd).

#86 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

SG1 -> 10 has been updated to high -> low freezing rates already? I know at the time I tested, 10 had the highest freeze rate, not 1 (which is why I usually use 3)...

#87 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

It took me 4 or 5 tries to pass the battle room portion of the Warlock test. It is not impossible and does not need to be nerfed. It just takes the proper preparation and persistence.

Edited by Trixdee, 31 August 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#88 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Perhaps you're not reading: Ice Wall is Disabled. Not everyone will have Frost Nova, or Saftey Wall. Spending on a Neuralizer contradict the purpose of trying to pass with whatever build you want that does not include those.

1) You are given Warlock spell scrolls to use for the test
2) It is possible, but probably quite hard to have screwed up your build so bad that you were unable to pass the test. (At least you now have the choice to reset skills and stats).
3) That being said, the above skills are not necessary to pass the test - just useful for it and to have in general.

#89 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

SG1 -> 10 has been updated to high -> low freezing rates already? I know at the time I tested, 10 had the highest freeze rate, not 1 (which is why I usually use 3)...

Oh have they? I haven't played wizard since pre-renewal (hence why I just did the quest yesterday). That makes more sense, but regardless, level 1 still freezes and everything I said should still work.

#90 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Oh have they? I haven't played wizard since pre-renewal (hence why I just did the quest yesterday). That makes more sense, but regardless, level 1 still freezes and everything I said should still work.

All levels have a chance to freeze, but I guess since renewal the spell mechanics changed such that level 1 freezes at a significantly lower rate than level 10. I had heard that an update was coming to change level 1 to the high freeze rate and level 10 to the low (so that level 10 could be used for damage), but I haven't used SG in a little while to be able to tell...

#91 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

All levels have a chance to freeze, but I guess since renewal the spell mechanics changed such that level 1 freezes at a significantly lower rate than level 10. I had heard that an update was coming to change level 1 to the high freeze rate and level 10 to the low (so that level 10 could be used for damage), but I haven't used SG in a little while to be able to tell...

Frost Nova or Stone Curse Water Monsters... use SW to tank them and firebolt or CR.

#92 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

really looking forward to this challenge now

#93 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

comedy pest card armor option

#94 cRoc

cRoc

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

it isnt that the warlock quest is too hard, its that the other 3rd class quests are too easy XD

#95 Miyuki

Miyuki

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationUnderground

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Another video for the job change played by a Japanese player on iRO Valk. Fighting part starts at around 9:30. Go to this site and paste this address to the input field and hit watch. That person is relatively well-equipped though, and probably Agi.

Edited by Miyuki, 01 September 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#96 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hmmm, kids these days not knowing how to play their wizards...

@OP-Devise a strategy then go practice solo out in the dungeons somewhere.
I'm sure if you practice, you'll be able to use your skills effectively and pass
your test.

#97 Mhikeey

Mhikeey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

wow RG and Geneticist quests are a laugh compared to this

#98 Mefistofeles

Mefistofeles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1281 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

wow RG and Geneticist quests are a laugh compared to this

THE BIO NEED TO KILLS THE MUSHROOMS OF DEATH!!!!!!!! >_________> while also the scholar have to go to thor.....

Edited by Inubashiri, 02 September 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#99 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

THE BIO NEED TO KILLS THE MUSHROOMS OF DEATH!!!!!!!! >_________> while also the scholar have to go to thor.....

Scholars actually only have to go to 2 locations so you can miss thors if you want. Collecting the elemental stones can take a while though if you are unlucky and use alot.

Edited by Inubashiri, 02 September 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#100 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Frost Nova or Stone Curse Water Monsters... use SW to tank them and firebolt or CR.

I doubt most Wizards/High Wizards have max Frost Nova and Stone Curse for this, so I don't think that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users